Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaj posted:

I don't know if this is real or a parody, but it seems so real I would like to believe it. The olds there are so hell-bent on their schedules that this seems like in both their brains they could understand the severity of having to eat barbarian food, or their heavenly Chinese food. My boss's in-laws spent a week in Thailand and enjoyed it, but apparently didn't eat Thai food at all. They utterly rejected my plain pumpkin soup for the simple fact that I had made it. The older they are, it seems like the more particular they are about food and weirdo beliefs. At the same time, I still remember that girl was completely shocked the bread with tomato sauce and yellow stuff on top she was enjoying was in fact cheese, and not egg, and how pizza is so weird and why do people want to eat this stuff. If I hadn't told her, all would be well.

Mainlanders grow on strict eating schedules from birth, which do no change from primary school through university, and then into the working life, and into retirement. Everything is exactly the same timing. Breakfast = 6am to 8am, anything later and it's too close to lunch, better starve. Lunch = 12pm to 2pm, usually eat immediately at 12 and then nap until 2. Dinner is 6pm to 7pm, but maybe a little later on Fridays and weekends.
I would say about 80% of the Mainlanders I have talked to or known have formed an inadvertent litmus test for me of seeing how open their minds are at the reaction to my varied eating times. Do they scold me for eating lunch at 3 or 4pm, or comment how strange it is that I am doing that? Do they complain about my occasional intermittent fasting? How many times do they tell me how unhealthy I will be for drinking cold drinks or eating ice cream. My favorite is the "Why are you trying to lose weight?" if I eat a meal a few hours later than they expect me to, as if the pause before a meal is going to drastically alter my body structure. If I eat an early dinner at 5pm or something, they don't understand how I can even go to bed, because I must be dying of hunger. Like, LOL, your white rice and steamed buns just make your blood sugar crash. Try some fiber for once.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:
Tank Man was carrying groceries. Face culture abhors when someone else tells you what to do. Tank Man was not a revolutionary or standing up to tyranny. He just wanted to go home and was pissed at all these stupid protesters and tanks getting in his way. Just like that lone car driving the wrong way on a Chinese highway, he was that one guy that wanted to assert himself just because.

it's real, and AO is a better man than I am. I wouldn't be able to do it. It would honestly wreck my marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

nickmeister posted:

She speaks a little bit, less than her non-Chinese boyfriend. I think they were just really adamant that their child speaks English.

Yeah I knew a bunch of Asian-Americans whose parents straight up refused to teach them their Asian language so the kid would speak English better, unaware you can actually speak multiple languages with equal fluency, especially if you're raised with them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

nickmeister posted:

All this talk about bland, unimaginative Chinese food reminds me of that Vice article written by an angry ABC girl who was angry about bland "white people" food. And also Marco Polo brought cured ham from China only actually the Romans were doing it in like 200BC so

Self-righteous ABCs are the worst, christ.

ladron posted:

Are there any countries that have museums that are like "oh yeah we got our asses handed to us. we also hosed up situations plenty without outside interference". I remember the korean ones were all like "AND SO THE NOBLE PEACEFUL KOREAN FINALLY REPULSED THE EVIL JAPANESE MONKEYS" and then "(some other countries may have helped)" like way at the bottom. or "BEHOLD THE AMAZING NETTING RECOVERED FROM AN EXCAVATION THAT WAS USED BY OUR SEAFARING ANCESTORS" and it's really really clearly nylon and I think I see a price tag on it too

I vaguely recall exhibits at the smithsonian, but not really the tone. when I'd take students there they always wanted to see the hope diamond.

I was surprised when I went to the history museum in Ueno Park and the first exhibit was how Koreans brought civilization to the disorganized Yamato tribes and created the concept of Japan.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

I was surprised when I went to the history museum in Ueno Park and the first exhibit was how Koreans brought civilization to the disorganized Yamato tribes and created the concept of Japan.

surprised? or enlightened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSBGVsoSH1c

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I had a hard time not laughing at how rediculous the Hiroshima museum was.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ladron posted:

Are there any countries that have museums that are like "oh yeah we got our asses handed to us. we also hosed up situations plenty without outside interference". I remember the korean ones were all like "AND SO THE NOBLE PEACEFUL KOREAN FINALLY REPULSED THE EVIL JAPANESE MONKEYS" and then "(some other countries may have helped)" like way at the bottom. or "BEHOLD THE AMAZING NETTING RECOVERED FROM AN EXCAVATION THAT WAS USED BY OUR SEAFARING ANCESTORS" and it's really really clearly nylon and I think I see a price tag on it too

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Lmao, the first comment:

quote:

THIS ISLAND BELONG TO CHINA FOR 5000 YEARS, KOREAN IS JUST JAPANESE PERSON MANUFACTURED IN CHINA, CHABUDAO,

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Which one of you did this?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

ladron posted:

definitely check out Seodaemun prison. I men, I don't know if it will make you *laugh*, but....basically, it was a prison used by the japanese to inter koreans during the 40 year or so japanese annexation. the japanese kinda have a justifiable reputation for being kinda brutal around this time, and that is depicted with almost cartoonish glee, and all the propaganda that goes with it..like bugs bunny bucktooth glasses "me so solly" poo poo.

what is decidedly missing, tho, is the fact that the prison was used for like another 40 so years AFTER the japanese left, and koreans were torturing koreans there just as bad as the japanese did.

Never change a running system.

Well, if you're running a military dictatorship.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JaucheCharly posted:

Which one of you did this?

I'm p sure goons would know it is "chabuduo" not "chabudao"

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

if this is real...that last line...wow

The Great Autismo! posted:

eh, good enough

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Thanks I corrected my spelling!!!

Hahaha, can't believe it wooops

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

差不多

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

差不岛

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Jeoh posted:

差不岛

台灣第一名

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

big time bisexual posted:

Here's an experiment courtesy of reddit for those outside the middle kingdom: what happens when you search 性感 on youtube?

[...]

Searching through Google instead and searching "性感 site:youtube.com" does bring up youtube listings. I am left wondering why Google is tampering with Chinese language search results on youtube when they aren't compelled to do so.

Worked fine from Norway.

E: imgur app makes it difficult to share the image link...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Worked fine from Norway.

E: imgur app makes it difficult to share the image link...

In YouTube not Google.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ladron posted:

if this is real...that last line...wow

IIRC, it was the Lotte World Folk Museum. It's been a while, though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

the only thing bigger than the koreanosaurus is the koreaninferioritycomplexosaurus

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Eh, I think that is intentional.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Just postin' on page 666.

Not sure what that means for China lucky, but I think "hail satan" fits with my current outlook on life.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

hail satan

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

dubzee posted:

Just postin' on page 666.

Not sure what that means for China lucky, but I think "hail satan" fits with my current outlook on life.

https://www.quora.com/What-does-666-mean-in-Chinese

quote:

the latest slang meaning of 666 originated from online e-sport games and then caught on widely in the entire online sphere due to its succinctness and connotation.

6 sounds the same in Chinese as 溜, which, in addition to its formal and main meaning of FLEE as a verb, can also be used an adverb colloquially, meaning awesome, superb, proficient or highly skilled.

so originally when players in online e-sport games wanted to compliment other player s but did not wanna take hard effort to type, they just typed in three 6s to represent the Chinese characters 溜溜溜, which meant they thought other players were playing really well.

examples of 溜 in action:

他英语说得很溜:he can speak English fluently

他吉他玩得很溜: he is highly proficient in guitar playing

quote:

It is a internet phrase.

The “”6“”pronunciation like chinese “溜溜溜”(liū),so it used to simplify the word“溜” by many people.

Describe someone or something is so good,sounds great

Generally use “666” to praise somethine or someone.

I still prefer the Thai "55555"

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

some real gems in the related videos :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK-0B6ZcKgo

skip right to the comment section on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfvxSHDEHF8

\
                                                                    \

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Double Monocle posted:

If you want a good analogy, go to a civil war museum. (Note- if you are a college student, ignore this and erase history because it hurts your feelings)

Yeah, white supremacists/Neo Nazis etc. recruiting on college campuses is really getting out of control. Can't talk about America's racist past/present without triggering so many right-wing snowflakes nowadays.

This is great. From the awkward penmanship to the grammatically correct but still slightly odd sounding Chinese.

oohhboy posted:

I am ok with whatever generally reasonable things they put into the Hiroshima museum as getting nuked is reason enough. Even if there is plenty of garbage, "Getting nuked is bad" is an unmistakable message any reasonable person is going to understand.

Someone who knows more Japan will have to fill me in; but the impression I get from Japanese is they stop at "getting nuked is bad" when talking about WWII. Any atrocities that the Japanese military committed in East Asia, why America attacked Japan, etc. all left unaddressed.

mrbotus fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 6, 2017

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am ok with whatever generally reasonable things they put into the Hiroshima museum as getting nuked is reason enough. Even if there is plenty of garbage, "Getting nuked is bad" is an unmistakable message any reasonable person is going to understand.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

oohhboy posted:

Actually getting nuked is very good if you have had too much yin food. This is centuries old wisdom, you cannot possibly comprehend

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
https://gfycat.com/CorruptBarrenAfricanclawedfrog

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lacks an ending, 4/10.

Still :lol:

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This is the perfect car to buy and tell your friends and family that the salesman and brochure said it has a safety feature where the door will stop closing if something is detected blocking the door, and then having it clamp shut on your father/mother-in-law's head and being really, REALLY shocked about it and how you had no way to make it stop and had to flee the scene looking for a policeman and you're sad he/she is dead and you have to file a wrongful death suit against the company and basically you get paid to kill someone you don't like.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wtf lmaoooo

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Well that was not what I expected at all.

Thank you!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's like that guy who was so hyped up about the safety glass in his office tower he'd demo how safe it was by jumping into it. RIP.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Grand Fromage posted:

Self-righteous ABCs are the worst, christ.

ABC represent

I would like to mention that Mantou are loving delicious and all you need is a little bit of spring onion or sugar mixed in and they are perfectly fine. It's basically bread, except better than wonder bread.

Also, American food on average is pretty bland and has too much sugar. There are lots of good things, but classic American families do pretty much make _everything_ using an oven.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im going to admit here I didnt know mantou came in non fried and covered in sugar glaze form. Who the gently caress would eat that?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

It's like that guy who was so hyped up about the safety glass in his office tower he'd demo how safe it was by jumping into it. RIP.

Safety glass didn't break, it was the window frame that gave way.

Had a nice vacation in Korea. Had to come back for work, but the in-laws are taking the wife to Japan for another trip. Must be nice...

Grand Fromage posted:

the only thing bigger than the koreanosaurus is the koreaninferioritycomplexosaurus

:potg:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

JacksAngryBiome posted:

The Hiroshima museum is just fine as a "nukes loving suck" kind of place. Any extraneous message on reasons they were used would only distract from this.

If it stopped at the horrors of nuclear warfare that'd be one thing, but there's an entire hallway of letters the various mayors of Hiroshima have written to literally any power (aside from NK) who has performed a nuclear test since the end of world war 2 and the plaques self-fellate so much about being on the leading edge of anti-nuclear activism I got contact embarrassment.

If you want to do that poo poo to show the impact of nuclear warfare fine but how about maybe pointing out where you started on where you started on that particular axis. Or, better, have your call-to-action just be an obelisk of all of the names of the dead with ways to contact active anti-nuke organizations all over the world to donate time, talent, and treasure.

As it stands, loving Fallout 1 and 2 have a more genuine anti-nuke message than the Hiroshima museum in a lot of ways because they don't try to canonize anyone as a holy martyr for getting incinerated in nuclear fire.

nickmeister posted:

Someone who knows more Japan will have to fill me in; but the impression I get from Japanese is they stop at "getting nuked is bad" when talking about WWII. Any atrocities that the Japanese military committed in East Asia, why America attacked Japan, etc. all left unaddressed.

Depends on the museum. I know there's at least one in Tokyo that ranks pretty high on the self-flagellation scale, but Hiroshima's nuke museum only saying "getting nuked is bad" would be a serious improvement, see above for explanation.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 6, 2017

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

ntan1 posted:

ABC represent

I would like to mention that Mantou are loving delicious and all you need is a little bit of spring onion or sugar mixed in and they are perfectly fine. It's basically bread, except better than wonder bread.

Also, American food on average is pretty bland and has too much sugar. There are lots of good things, but classic American families do pretty much make _everything_ using an oven.

What's the "classic" American family and what do they cook with the oven??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Lol "American food"

• Locked thread