Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
I don't know if this counts as a security fuckup, but I was talking to an Uber engineer today who told me a couple of interesting scams they encountered the past couple of years.

Apparently Uber got heavily scammed in China by people exploiting the subsidies used to incentivize drivers to cruise around waiting for fares.

The first scam involved phone emulators and fake GPS units to organize fake trips. When scammers tried to parallelize the system with multiple fake driver accounts, Uber caught on when they saw "snakes" of cars moving around the map.

The second scam involved the drivers deliberately putting up scary profile pictures, making the driver look like a vampire or a ghost. The hope was that the customer would be so put off that they'd cancel the ride before pickup, which would give the driver a few yuan as compensation for the cancelled ride. Uber had to implement a facial recognition system that ensured profile pictures closely matched their owner.

edit:

minato fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

minato posted:

I don't know if this counts as a security fuckup, but I was talking to an Uber engineer today who told me a couple of interesting scams they encountered the past couple of years.

Apparently Uber got heavily scammed in China by people exploiting the subsidies used to incentivize drivers to cruise around waiting for fares.

The first scam involved phone emulators and fake GPS units to organize fake trips. When scammers tried to parallelize the system with multiple fake driver accounts, Uber caught on when they saw "snakes" of cars moving around the map.

The second scam involved the drivers deliberately putting up scary profile pictures, making the driver look like a vampire or a ghost. The hope was that the customer would be so put off that they'd cancel the ride before pickup, which would give the driver a few yuan as compensation for the cancelled ride. Uber had to implement a facial recognition system that ensured profile pictures closely matched their owner.

edit:

I'd be more likely to go on a trip if my drivers looked cool like that

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

thinking about FIDO tokens but instead of a FIDO key it’s touchid

like for u2f? i think https://github.com/github/SoftU2F lets you do this

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

minato posted:

edit:

ahhh... the entrepreneur spirit :allears:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Raere posted:

I'd be more likely to go on a trip if my drivers looked cool like that
if they're trying to not drive you they're less likely to know how to get where you want

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

minato posted:

edit:

razor and blade spotted

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

imagine i photoshopped the uber app onto that screen

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Rufus Ping posted:

razor and blade spotted

razor and blade? they're flakes!

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

infernal machines posted:

razor and blade? they're flakes!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

minato posted:

edit:

Ride sharing with Chinese characteristics.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

anthonypants posted:

wasn't there an account that screencapped tweets from politicians and would repost them when they got deleted? and then that account got shut down

yeah. a couple years ago, Twitter changed their API terms to ban saving deleted tweets in any way. and every site that did that kind of thing got banned from the Twitter API

they reversed course and let those sites back on a few months later after various transparency orgs kicked up a fuss and sent angry letters

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

and every site that did that kind of thing got banned from the Twitter API

they went further, and looked up all the api keys created by the same person as the offending one, then looked at the accounts using those keys to tweet

i had a couple of private accounts with 0 followers keeping tabs on people's deleted tweets and they got shut down at the same time as a big public one i ran

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
well yeah. i mean in this day and age lol if you think you're more than a few joins away from a twitter ban/gitmo/death camps

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what prevents watchdogs from using a non-api scraper to save deleted tweets

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

haveblue posted:

Probably nothing, but they would scrape a poo poo ton more tweets and be a lot more efficient in general using the API

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

nothing but the streaming api gives you notifications about deleted tweets (their ID only, not the text itself) in real time which is very appealing

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

haveblue posted:

Or just not publishing that you've seen a deleted tweet using an account tied in any way to the API keys collecting the data

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
this was probably posted months ago but i found this post by troy hunt about EV certs interesting

https://www.troyhunt.com/on-the-perceived-value-ev-certs-cas-phishing-lets-encrypt/

https://twitter.com/troyhunt/status...lets-encrypt%2F

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tbf most of the people i know would at least know what "https" is if you didn't call it "a cert."

like my mom knows what HTTPS is and has a basic grasp of what it does but if i asked her if she looked for "EV certs" she'd be all "what like the mints?"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like if you phrase it as "what do you think about when the URL bar turns green and has the company name next to it" instead i think it would be more applicable

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
in https vs ssl vs tls vs certs I think https is the most clear in my experience. everything is advertised as SSL even though its all actually TLS which most people aren't gonna understand and then certificates and trust are just way beyond most people. its always http or https tho and telling them they want the one with the s is easy

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ate all the Oreos posted:

like if you phrase it as "what do you think about when the URL bar turns green and has the company name next to it" instead i think it would be more applicable
i'm pretty sure the only reason people might know that a cert exists at all is when they encounter an error which mentions the cert is bad, and that https or the green address bar isn't analogous to having a cert at all

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 6, 2017

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Just found out my company has SMBv1 turned on.
This is after WannaCry, and after upgrading to server 2016. :stare:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Just found out my company has SMBv1 turned on.
This is after WannaCry, and after upgrading to server 2016. :stare:

I wanna bet the domain functional level is 2003 or 2008 at the most

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

spankmeister posted:

I wanna bet the domain functional level is 2003 or 2008 at the most

All the corporate servers were updated to 2016. There isn't a corporate server that's lower than that.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

All the corporate servers were updated to 2016. There isn't a corporate server that's lower than that.

i think what he is saying is that your modern servers are configured like it was fashionable s decade ago

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i think what he is saying is that your modern servers are configured like it was fashionable s decade ago

Oh, well yeah probably, as the guy the CEO hired to do it was a blithering idiot who refused to accept that poo poo changes over time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ad domain function level doesn't change unless you manually change it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You can have an all-server 2016 domain but still have a DFL of 2008 or 2012 or w/e

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/active-directory-functional-levels

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spankmeister posted:

You can have an all-server 2016 domain but still have a DFL of 2008 or 2012 or w/e

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/active-directory-functional-levels
domain/forest functional level also doesn't impact smb but using smbv1 in tyool 2017 is a good indicator that your it department is dumb

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
You have now, or had at some point and no one changed the documentation, a printer that required it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

anthonypants posted:

domain/forest functional level also doesn't impact smb but using smbv1 in tyool 2017 is a good indicator that your it department is dumb

That would indicate we have an IT department.

Corporate has its own network that has a single Trunk going to the engineering network. Corporate runs WS2k16, engineering runs CentOS7.

Engineering is 100% in charge of the engineering network. I set it up where every server runs yum-cron, SELinux is set to enforcing, and firewalld is setup as well.

Corporate I have no loving clue, but they updated a few months ago from WS2003 to WS2016. Apparently, they don't give nearly as much of a poo poo about infosec as I do.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
why the gently caress are you running firewalld

put an ASA or something in there instead

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

some more android vulnerabilities: https://pleasestopnamingvulnerabilities.com

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so this will be named PSNV?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Scotty is a super cool dude, I'm glad he didn't totally burn out.

hobbesmaster posted:

so this will be named PSNV?

Doubt it, they don't get traction these days without dedicated PR people being involved and he isn't trying to sell you anything. Its too complicated and doesn't have a clever name and so wont be noticed compared to a lot of the far less interesting bugs that have lit up the press this year.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pls

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RISCy Business posted:

why the gently caress are you running firewalld

put an ASA or something in there instead
what's wrong with firewalld

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

https://twitter.com/lukasstefanko/status/926084558273044481

either pixel security is really good or no one targeted the pixel?
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the real joke is that's just a normal month of andorid vulns but on a webpage people will read rather than the security bulletin

• Locked thread