Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lurdiak posted:

:baby: What kind of weirdo would do that.
I know BSS and I don't get along very well, but saying KBox and anyone on BSS "both go on long rants about comics they hate" is kind of like saying "Like a lot of comic book companies, Dave Sim's Aardvark-Vanaheim is a boy's club."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lurdiak posted:

I hate to side with JMS on this, but...

JMS savd revitalized Spider-man and had a great run even if it started to lose steam by the end. Spidey was at its best since JM DeMatteis. I agree with his frustration on the crossover stravaganza that would ruin his stories for the sake of B.S, or the bizarre obsessive editorial pushing to do away with Parker's marriage to MJ for shittier state of Spider-man status quo. Even if he was fine with it I agree with him in that the way it happened was crap and unnecessary and inorganic. Waid is a great writer but he's got his flaws.

His DC run was crap tho. He's not bad but seems to take poo poo personally and be bitter about it. He's passionate I guess.

What I'm saying is I love Hickman and need more him running the show...with Morrison. Put Hickman in charge of Marvel overarching direction and Morrison on overarching DC. There. Awesome.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's not just about the Spider-Man comments. It's about making those comments while crapping the bed on Superman. Waid has always wanted to do a Superman run.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
http://theswervemagazine.com/Ron_Frenz_Thor_-_History_of_Thunderstrike_The_Swerve_Magazine.html

This interview was interesting. It's interviewing Ron Frenz about Thunderstrike. It has me interested in his run on Thor. Does anyone know when it starts?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is there a website that will tell me what's coming out on Marvel Unlimited in the future (at least for the newer stuff that's on a 6 month delay, not the older stuff they also release to help fill in the back log), or barring that, an easy way to look up every marvel comic that was released in a certain week so I could do my own guesstimate about what's coming out next?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zoro posted:

http://theswervemagazine.com/Ron_Frenz_Thor_-_History_of_Thunderstrike_The_Swerve_Magazine.html

This interview was interesting. It's interviewing Ron Frenz about Thunderstrike. It has me interested in his run on Thor. Does anyone know when it starts?

Thor #383 is DeFalco/Frenz's first issue, google says Masterson's first appearance is 391.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Is there a website that will tell me what's coming out on Marvel Unlimited in the future (at least for the newer stuff that's on a 6 month delay, not the older stuff they also release to help fill in the back log), or barring that, an easy way to look up every marvel comic that was released in a certain week so I could do my own guesstimate about what's coming out next?

There has to be a much easier way, but looking back through the shipping thread, the current new MU releases are from April 26th, so the next lot will be May 3rd comics https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617711&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=44#post471774646

code:
MARVEL COMICS

MAR170937	ALL NEW GUARDIANS OF GALAXY #1	$3.99
MAR170984	BLACK BOLT #1	$3.99
MAR171055	BULLSEYE #4 (OF 5)	$3.99
MAR170999	CHAMPIONS #8	$3.99
MAR171072	GUARDIANS OF GALAXY MISSION BREAKOUT #1	$4.99
MAR171066	GUARDIANS OF GALAXY MOTHER ENTROPY #1 (OF 5)	$3.99
MAR171063	HAWKEYE #6	$3.99
MAR171039	IRON FIST #3	$3.99
MAR170958	JEAN GREY #1	$3.99
MAR171047	JESSICA JONES #8	$3.99
MAR171105	MARVEL UNIVERSE AVENGERS ULTRON REVOLUTION #10	$2.99
MAR171076	NOVA #6	$3.99
MAR170901	SECRET EMPIRE #1 (OF 9)	$4.99
MAR171058	SLAPSTICK #6	$3.99
FEB170852	SPIDER-GWEN #19	$3.99
MAR171021	SPIDER-MAN #16	$3.99
MAR171020	SPIDER-MAN 2099 #23	$3.99
MAR171023	SPIDER-MAN DEADPOOL #17	$3.99
MAR171121	STAR WARS POE DAMERON #14	$3.99
MAR171124	STAR WARS ROGUE ONE ADAPTATION #2 (OF 6)	$3.99
MAR171042	UNSTOPPABLE WASP #5	$3.99
MAR171078	X-MEN GOLD #3	$3.99
May 10th the week after: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617711&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=44#post472008365

etc.

edit: Actually, you're given the original publication date when you click into a 'new in unlimited' comic. Google "Marvel releases *the next week*" Boom.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 5, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

There has to be a much easier way, but looking back through the shipping thread, the current new MU releases are from April 26th, so the next lot will be May 3rd comics https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617711&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=44#post471774646

code:
MARVEL COMICS

MAR170937	ALL NEW GUARDIANS OF GALAXY #1	$3.99
MAR170984	BLACK BOLT #1	$3.99
MAR171055	BULLSEYE #4 (OF 5)	$3.99
MAR170999	CHAMPIONS #8	$3.99
MAR171072	GUARDIANS OF GALAXY MISSION BREAKOUT #1	$4.99
MAR171066	GUARDIANS OF GALAXY MOTHER ENTROPY #1 (OF 5)	$3.99
MAR171063	HAWKEYE #6	$3.99
MAR171039	IRON FIST #3	$3.99
MAR170958	JEAN GREY #1	$3.99
MAR171047	JESSICA JONES #8	$3.99
MAR171105	MARVEL UNIVERSE AVENGERS ULTRON REVOLUTION #10	$2.99
MAR171076	NOVA #6	$3.99
MAR170901	SECRET EMPIRE #1 (OF 9)	$4.99
MAR171058	SLAPSTICK #6	$3.99
FEB170852	SPIDER-GWEN #19	$3.99
MAR171021	SPIDER-MAN #16	$3.99
MAR171020	SPIDER-MAN 2099 #23	$3.99
MAR171023	SPIDER-MAN DEADPOOL #17	$3.99
MAR171121	STAR WARS POE DAMERON #14	$3.99
MAR171124	STAR WARS ROGUE ONE ADAPTATION #2 (OF 6)	$3.99
MAR171042	UNSTOPPABLE WASP #5	$3.99
MAR171078	X-MEN GOLD #3	$3.99
May 10th the week after: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617711&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=44#post472008365

etc.

edit: Actually, you're given the original publication date when you click into a 'new in unlimited' comic. Google "Marvel releases *the next week*" Boom.

Oh, yay, Secret Empire is starting. That one didn't derail as many books other as the last couple of crossovers did it? I knew it was a mistake to start reading X-Men books again.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

Oh, yay, Secret Empire is starting. That one didn't derail as many books other as the last couple of crossovers did it? I knew it was a mistake to start reading X-Men books again.

The X-books stay nearly untouched, except for 2-3 issues in X-Men Gold (I think it was Gold). It's the rest of the line-up that gets dragged down to hell.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

X-Men Blue also spent a couple of inexplicable issues mired in Secret Empire nonsense.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Decius posted:

The X-books stay nearly untouched, except for 2-3 issues in X-Men Gold (I think it was Gold). It's the rest of the line-up that gets dragged down to hell.

It was Blue. Gold has a bit about being in New York when it's all Darkforce bubble-d but the main thrust of that storyline is the new X-cutioner hunting through the school and they could have done that without needing the crossover, honestly. Blue, meanwhile, gets pretty upended.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't think All New Wolverine was effected by Secret Empire.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I can't remember anything about secret empire in wolverine. she was dealing with a plague and then went to space during that time iirc

jean grey doesn't touch on it at all either that I can remember

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/927604378013446144

X-Men and FF4 in the MCU coming soon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CNBC is already reporting the talks as dead.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...flow-twitter-tv

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Boo!

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I can imagine the staggering amount of re-writes and re-shoots that were already being considered for the Infinity Wars movies.

edit: But seriously, if this were to happen, don't over-think it Marvel. Just push it right on in. Wolverine just walks up to the Avengers and Iron Man goes "You're the guy with claws that heals, right?" and Wolverine goes "Yep", and then Cap says "Cool, welcome to the team." That's all you gotta do. We'll be cool with it if it gets Wolverine and everyone else in this stuff too.

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 6, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They could just do a reverse M-Day and have Scarlet Witch say "we need more Mutants" and then everything just bamps into place.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

They could just do a reverse M-Day and have Scarlet Witch say "we need more Mutants" and then everything just bamps into place.

A reality stone powered scarlet witch could do it. Oh well not gonna happen now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Or Mutants have been around for a long time but between Professer X and SHIELD they were kept under wraps. Cap recognizes Wolverine from WW2. Theirs really no reason they cannot move x-men into MCU, though they don't have to interact or cross over constantly.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Marvel Unlimited put up the entire run of Chris Claremont Ms Marvel. Worth a read?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
There are so many Up-To-70% Off sales on the Marvel app right now I’m half convinced it’s got some5ing to do with these talks. Like drum up sales or something to make the stock more attractive or better ... to ... I dunno, I’m not a writer.

Either way there’s currently big sales on Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Spirits of Vengeance and Star Wars. Can anyone point me to where that awesome comedy run on Spirits of Vengrance was that had, like, the Monster Truck Ghost Rider and everything?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nevvy Z posted:

"No, MORE mutants!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Thank Christ. Yah, it'd be nice to have a decent Fantastic Four movie in my lifetime, but I like X-Men being their own thing, even if the results are hit or miss. Disney owned Marvel will never produce a movie like First Class, Deadpool or Logan. As much as I like the Netflix shows, they aren't Legion, or even Gifted

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's also the fact that Disney getting even loving bigger is absolutely distressing on an antitrust level.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
When you're young, you side with Xavier and the X-men and their message of being a good person and non-violent resistance will lead to a better world. When you're older, you realize Magneto and Cyclops are right and that the threat of violence is necessary for an oppressed group to get proper protections under the law, something both Malcolm X and Martin Luther King JR advocated, and the narrative that "model minority" or "non-violent resistance" works is mostly peddled by oppressors to create a sense of self-induced helplessness among the oppressed.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Cap recognizes Wolverine from WW2.

Okay, for real, that would be loving awesome. Has that ever been approached before? I feel like it's something that would have popped up in the Ultimate universe.

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 7, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

People who idolize Malcolm X don't enjoy the genocidal supervillain being compared to him.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Non violence is only good if you actually have zero chance of winning a violent fight. That's what gandhi did, but of course the message got twisted into always doing non violence at all times just because.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

People who idolize Malcolm X don't enjoy the genocidal supervillain being compared to him.

Lots of people took magneto' side after the First Class movie, and don't consider him a villain at all.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Hey, sometimes God gives you laser beam eyes, what else are you supposed to with them except make your voice heard?

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

I am talking more about the Magneto like First Class or when better writers are using him, not the "mutants are superior, let's flood New York" Magneto.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

El Tortuga posted:

Okay, for real, that would be loving awesome. Has that ever been approached before? I feel like it's something that would have popped up in the Ultimate universe.

It's happened in a couple of different mediums.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Hasn't Magneto been a good guy longer than he's been a straight up super-villain?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Marvel Unlimited put up the entire run of Chris Claremont Ms Marvel. Worth a read?

I don't think it's aged tremendously well, but it's interesting as a glimpse of Marvel's foundation. There's a surprising amount of modern Marvel that goes straight back to Claremont's various runs.

Waffleman_ posted:

There's also the fact that Disney getting even loving bigger is absolutely distressing on an antitrust level.

Yeah, as much as I'd probably end up liking a Disney/Marvel Studios X-Men franchise, I'm wary of just how much of the entertainment industry is already held by Disney.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

El Tortuga posted:

It happened in Uncanny X-Men #268 as well as in the X-Men Evolution cartoon, one or both of which is where I assume they got the idea from.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It also happened in the fox X-men cartoon, kind of.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

El Tortuga posted:

that happens a lot, including the ultimate universe

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Did they ever retcon nick fury meeting Mr. Fantastic in WW2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Billzasilver posted:

Did they ever retcon nick fury meeting Mr. Fantastic in WW2?

Much like Ben Grimm being a vet, they stopped talking about it sometime in the 80s.

• Locked thread