Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Shamefully, I've only seen S1 the whole way through, the last episode of S2 3 times, and FWWM twice. I ran out of time to watch S2 before S3 started, but my BF is a Lynch fanatic and filled me in when I got lost, so I don't feel like I was in the weeds at any point. Do need to revisit the old series before we get into the S3 Blu-ray, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
All this talk of lore made me realize that in S3, "Black Lodge" is only ever said once, the White Lodge is never mentioned, and garmonbozia is never spoken of.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm still not entirely convinced the White Lodge is ever depicted in the show at any point.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Cromulent posted:

All this talk of lore made me realize that in S3, "Black Lodge" is only ever said once, the White Lodge is never mentioned, and garmonbozia is never spoken of.

It's never mentioned in name, but it sure shows up a couple of times.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I really don't trust names people assign to the other places to be accurate or descriptive.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

Cromulent posted:

It's interesting what parts of the lore were not or seldom mentioned. Blue Rose came to the forefront. Hell, even the latter season 2 Project Blue Book got a mention!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The ending goes out of its way to mention the loving Tremonds and Chalfonts.

I still don't know what to make of that.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Raxivace posted:

The ending goes out of its way to mention the loving Tremonds and Chalfonts.

I still don't know what to make of that.

I think it's a clue that something is wrong. Cooper seems close to giving up in that scene and falling into the Richard dream, but that's something that seems to perk him up and make him question that reality.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Slum Village posted:

It's interesting what parts of the lore were not or seldom mentioned. Blue Rose came to the forefront. Hell, even the latter season 2 Project Blue Book got a mention!

Project Blue Book was a real thing, though, not necessarily just Twin Peaks lore.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

chime_on posted:

Project Blue Book was a real thing, though, not necessarily just Twin Peaks lore.

So is the black lodge.

Go on, prove me wrong :colbert:

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

OldMemes posted:

The most hopeful reading of Cooper's fate is that the final scene of FWWM goes after the scream.

I like that. I'm probably going to end up going with that interpretation, because the thought of Laura being denied that grace and peace at the end of FWWM bothers me so much.

I think Cooper's stint as Dougie may have led to some of his hubris in trying to change things. He was able to improve others' lives just through being a passive guy; he may well have thought that active change could make an even better improvement in things but didn't take into account that helping Janey-E and the mob brothers on an everyday level is a lot different than rewriting history and purging the world of a force of evil.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I like that. I'm probably going to end up going with that interpretation, because the thought of Laura being denied that grace and peace at the end of FWWM bothers me so much.

I think Cooper's stint as Dougie may have led to some of his hubris in trying to change things. He was able to improve others' lives just through being a passive guy; he may well have thought that active change could make an even better improvement in things but didn't take into account that helping Janey-E and the mob brothers on an everyday level is a lot different than rewriting history and purging the world of a force of evil.

Well, and as you said, he did all that by being passive, not active.

Then he springs into action, and...

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Cromulent posted:

When is the black lodge mentioned?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I think Cooper's doppelganger talks to Daria about it on the bed, right before he shoots her in the head.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I think Cooper's doppelganger talks to Daria about it on the bed, right before he shoots her in the head.

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuzNYbLd9ZU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I think equating the will and action of trying to change something bad as hubris is pretty toxic. You don't change anything by being passive. Dougie wasn't passive, he was being led. He did the barest amount of effort in the right situation that led certain events to play out. He was helped by Mike and by Cooper's waking mind punching through the the sleepwalking Dougie. Cooper did what he did and it'll probably lead to another adventure because that's what these things do.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Mark Frost did an AMA on Reddit today. He's a bit more open than Lynch when confirming/denying things that happened, so there's some interesting things in there: https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/7bn45h/im_mark_frost_cocreator_of_twin_peaks_and_author/

There's also this:

quote:

What happened to Dick Tremayne? Inquiring minds want to know please.

Dick Tremayne is selling real estate in Bellingham. He once tried to get in touch with Wally Brando. Wally ignored him.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Cromulent posted:

Mark Frost did an AMA on Reddit today. He's a bit more open than Lynch when confirming/denying things that happened, so there's some interesting things in there: https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/7bn45h/im_mark_frost_cocreator_of_twin_peaks_and_author/

There's also this:

Nearly that entire thread is him answering serious questions with jokes, being evasive, and giving almost no real answers to anything. I wouldn't call that open. Reading his responses, I'm not sure why he did the AMA in the first place.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

He told us that Bobby and Mike are in a bowling league together and I'm mad that that's not in the show.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Bobby and Mike barking at each over a strike on league night.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I liked the implication that bob as a bowling ball was the obvious logical way to portray the character

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
He did not answer my question and I'm pretty salty

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

...! posted:

Nearly that entire thread is him answering serious questions with jokes, being evasive, and giving almost no real answers to anything. I wouldn't call that open. Reading his responses, I'm not sure why he did the AMA in the first place.

Lynch did the same in his AMA but both sprinkled in things here and there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Still can’t believe Twin Peaks ended with a boss fight against a Bubble from Zelda

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Maarak posted:

Bobby and Mike barking at each over a strike on league night.

This isn't 'Nam! There are rules!

I just started watching Twin Peaks like six weeks ago for the first time ever. I finished season two this past weekend (boy it was tough going there for awhile) and am three episodes into season 3. I have no idea what the gently caress is going on but it's definitely entertaining to see David Lynch with a big budget and carte blanche to make his crazy dreams a reality. I've never seen anything quite like that void scene from episode 3, or hell the glass box. Definitely visuals you don't forget about easily.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Nail Rat posted:

This isn't 'Nam! There are rules!

I just started watching Twin Peaks like six weeks ago for the first time ever. I finished season two this past weekend (boy it was tough going there for awhile) and am three episodes into season 3. I have no idea what the gently caress is going on but it's definitely entertaining to see David Lynch with a big budget and carte blanche to make his crazy dreams a reality. I've never seen anything quite like that void scene from episode 3, or hell the glass box. Definitely visuals you don't forget about easily.

Hooooo boy are you in for a treat in episode 8

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheBizzness posted:

Hooooo boy are you in for a treat in episode 8

acksplode
May 17, 2004

kaworu posted:

Oh, poo poo.

Well, that finally explains why there was a Leland in the Red Room that seemed to neither be the doppleganger we saw in the Season *2* finale, nor the Leland who was possessed by Bob and later dies.

And the fact that all he can seem to say is "Find Laura" and look imploringly at Agent Cooper also makes sense, now. That was the Leland who killed himself after Laura went missing.

It's probable that all the Red Room scenes exist "out of time" to a certain degree. The scenes with Cooper in the Red Room in Episode 3x02 definitely seem to have more to do with what happens after the end of Season 3, as opposed to what happened chronologically in seasons 1 and 2 and FWWM.

And MIKE's refrain of "Is it Future, or is it Past?" finally makes total sense in that light,
I really like that explanation. What appeared to be Leland pleading for Cooper to succeed at his mission was actually a warning about its consequences, and perhaps its futility.

The red room scenes definitely seem like they exist out of time. There's a clear paradox when Cooper's about to swap with Mr. C and gets sent through the glass box right before the experiment appears in it, which was in a previous episode. I bet you could rearrange the red room scenes throughout the series in lots of interesting and suggestive ways.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
In looking back at the entire series, I think one of the most remarkable things about the show is that they had Cooper in the second episode sitting in the red room 25 years older.

The fact that that particular mystery was paid off by actually filming the show 25 years later and Cooper just sits there waiting the whole time in the story is mind-blowing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Borrowed Ladder posted:

In looking back at the entire series, I think one of the most remarkable things about the show is that they had Cooper in the second episode sitting in the red room 25 years older.

The fact that that particular mystery was paid off by actually filming the show 25 years later and Cooper just sits there waiting the whole time in the story is mind-blowing.
It's especially cool since so much about the original seasons was already about nostalgia and memory and so on. It creates this cool kind of feedback loop where the first two seasons themselves "peak" into the future while also becoming this kind of idealized past future audiences longed for that was lost when the original show as criticizing this kind of attitude to begin with. It tells you what its trap was, and then loving traps you in it anyways in season 3.

Twin Peaks loving owns so hard.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I guess we're never getting a Mitchum Brothers and Candie Girls spinoff now, after the Robert Knepper news.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

There was a fish IN the percolator!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Kart Barfunkel posted:

There was a fish IN the percolator!

I say that to my wife at least 3 times a week.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Data Graham posted:

Still can’t believe Twin Peaks ended with a boss fight against a Bubble from Zelda

Putting it that way makes me like that sequence even more.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm looking for stuff to decorate my office wall and came across these posters. I don't like ordering stuff from overseas usually but these are really bloody good. I wouldn't blame anyone with cash to burn for getting the full set. Only downside is that none of them shows Freddie.

Also I only just realized but our mail clerk is always trying to get folks to join him for lunch and he's the spitting image of Big Ed.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Also I only just realized but our mail clerk is always trying to get folks to join him for lunch and he's the spitting image of Big Ed.

Don't make that poor man eat alone. :ohdear:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I know selling fan art is a legal grey area but tracing over stills has got to be illegal

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And More posted:

Don't make that poor man eat alone. :ohdear:
Or make him eat a cyanide tablet :ohdear:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah the pure traces are definitely the worst of the bunch. Style's still cool though, and the ones for episodes 1, 8 and 17 are pretty great, for example. e: and 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I did my first academic conference recently and presented a paper on Twin Peaks, so that was fun.

As much as I'd like season 4, I think the current ending works perfectly, and season 3 was kind of lighting in a bottle that could only work in those exact circumstances. The fact that it all came together like it did is a part of why it's so impressive. Cooper as the tragic hero, who is either destroyed by Judy, or outsmarts her, depending on your interpretation, just works so well with his character arc.

Cooper is naive and idealistic to a fault, and that's what makes him so likable. He spends twenty-five years in another dimension, a few weeks in a dream, then as soon as he wakes up is straight back to business. I do wish Kyle Maclachlan had been able to play restored Cooper for a bit longer before the Richard scenes. The way he delivers the "100%" and "Are you Freddy?" lines is almost seamless with his protrayal in the original show.