Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I’m more concerned by load times but nobody even pretends they’ll fix them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Any true FPS elitist would note that it's not just about raw framerates, but frame pacing and frame variance, which is why a game that runs at a rock solid 30fps at all times like Horizon Zero Dawn looks and feels much smoother than the whack-rear end PC port of AssCreed at 45fps.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wolfenstein 2 was juuust on the edge of tolerable load times vs how often you die.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

exquisite tea posted:

Any true FPS elitist would note that it's not just about raw framerates, but frame pacing and frame variance, which is why a game that runs at a rock solid 30fps at all times like Horizon Zero Dawn looks and feels much smoother than the whack-rear end PC port of AssCreed at 45fps.

augh yes a slightly bumpy 60fps drives me far more insane than a steady 30 does

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

now that ssd’s are getting bigger and more affordable it’s unlikely to change, my friend

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Colonel posted:

look i don't even necessarily disagree that 60fps feels nicer but like. man you really like making this stuff about unapologetic snarky elitism

This isn't even elitism, it's just saying "quality of life stuff matters." It's the same as having good config screens or short load times or whatever, except that you deal with those things only once in a while but a framerate lock is always there.

I mean, load times sort of have improved, in the sense that SSDs a) started existing and b) came down in price enough (and up in longevity enough) to be standard. I suppose eventually (or maybe already) we'll see games that just assume that's what people have and they'll start creeping up again.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

now that ssd’s are getting bigger and more affordable it’s unlikely to change, my friend

I have a portable ssd for console play and it’s a big improvement on some games.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This isn't even elitism,

Yes it is

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

How come some games have load times when you exit to the Title Screen? I remember hating every time I had to quit Mad Max because it would do that, all I wanted was to close the program.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I know that a lot of games load up a bunch of online poo poo for the title screen that takes forever to load. Those NBA2K game seem to have terrible loading nonstop because everything has to be connected online at all times.

I remember when Half Life 2 got a patch that gave it a static image for the title screen (because loading a map for the title was a pain at the time for a lot of people.)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Sakurazuka posted:

And yet Bloodborne is the best game ever made and runs at (mostly) 30

Yeah but that's despite it's meh frame rate rather than because of it

Holy poo poo guys bloodborne at 60fps would be loving nuts, dark souls 1 is such a slick experience when properly tweaked and upscaled with higher def textures

I can never play console DS again after that absolutely, grossly incandescent experience

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
After gaming for most of my life on PCs that averaged framerates in the 20s for some games, there's no way I'm going back down from 60+ ever since I built my high-spec rig last year.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I still play Star Fox in 2017 so I can adapt to literally anything.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This isn't even elitism, it's just saying "quality of life stuff matters." It's the same as having good config screens or short load times or whatever, except that you deal with those things only once in a while but a framerate lock is always there.

i mean if we're talking pc ports sure, there are weird cases like zwei 2 where it's originally a pc game that's just on an engine locked at 30fps for whatever reason that the programmer for the localized release is working to unlock and terrible optimization in actual big western pc ports is poo poo, but wording it as 30fps being literally unplayable is asinine

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

60 vs. 144hz is something that depends on the game

30 fps is well into "even just navigating menus is hosed up" territory

Lol it's my post except unironic

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

this game is just one frame every 10 seconds, but its a really good frame

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
basically if you give me the option to run a game at 60fps i'm never going to not take it, but if 30fps is literally my only option, well, gently caress it i don't care too much

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's the framerate like on VR games

Do you like go blind or something if it's too low/high

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To be serious I think how tolerent your are of anything below 60 fps does vary greatly from person to person and probably has a ton to do with things you can't help and how you process information but it's also an issue where everyone that talks about it assumes that what they need is something everyone needs and everyone else is being stupid.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Help Im Alive posted:

90 to look/feel the best. You don’t go blind but you can start to feel unease if it’s not smooth or gets low enough. With IL-2 VR you had to bind the hud to a hot key to disable it most of the time outside of checking your map, they made it better in a recent update.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

hard 90 or you feel like you're going insane and then puke. if you drop a frame here or there it can take the last frame and reproject it with your current headpose which stops you from puking but it looks nuts, like you're looking around in a 90hz world but everything is animating at 45. PSVR games usually run at 60 and reproject to 120hz

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

PlaystationVR apparently has to be 90fps so I assume that’s the absolute minimum for vr.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the only "frame" i care about is gold framing all Luigi's Mansion ghosts. yatta

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
imo it's probably a general truism that telling people your subjective preference is objective truth is bad

and also probably indicative of a lack of properly working brain

"you might think you enjoy 30fps games, but actually, you're wrong because i don't enjoy them". like how do you even reach that conclusion. it's like music snobs who go on and on and on about the difference between vinyl and CD or who tell people they're wrong for liking to turn the bass up. me personally i never gently caress with the EQ outside of a few edge cases (Loveless, notably, sounds WAY better to me if you crank the bass, as it was buried in the original master) but i'm not gonna sit here and say it's objectively better that way. poo poo for all i know kevin shields intended the album to be tinny and treble-y.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

oddium posted:

the only "frame" i care about is gold framing all Luigi's Mansion ghosts. yatta

:same:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Samuringa posted:

How come some games have load times when you exit to the Title Screen? I remember hating every time I had to quit Mad Max because it would do that, all I wanted was to close the program.

I assume it’s to maximise the resources available for running the game during gameplay by dumping all assets from memory that aren’t the gameplay. So then it needs to load that stuff back up. Who knows what other behind the scenes things are happening with cloud saves, networking etc. All stuff that if you have time you can optimize but might be low priority compared to whatever other performance issues they were dealing with.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

i didn’t want to argue about framerates ffs i just wanted to laugh at the guy who was like “it has been Scientifically Proven that framerates above 24 cause Retinal Gout”

I don't even want to how bad my eyes are because I play some games at 144fps :ohdear:

The Colonel posted:

basically if you give me the option to run a game at 60fps i'm never going to not take it, but if 30fps is literally my only option, well, gently caress it i don't care too much

:same:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really wish I had a Switch because Mario Odyssey looks like the kind of pure-hearted fun I'd love to play right now. Soon, Mario. Soon.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Colonel posted:

:agreed:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
why quit to the title screen at all if you're just going to close the game? there are very very few games where you have to quit to title to save :confused:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

precision posted:

why quit to the title screen at all if you're just going to close the game? there are very very few games where you have to quit to title to save :confused:

Because having to alt+f4 out of a game is bad practice.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

precision posted:

It was definitely endemic of lazy console ports. Pretty much every game built for PC has an option quit to desktop.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
what are people doing to their PS4s that make rebuilding the database take hours? we haven't rebuilt ours in like... 2 years... and we're constantly buying, downloading, deleting, re-downloading, deleting, re-downloading tons of games and when i did it just now it took literally 5 minutes :confused:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Olive! posted:

Because having to alt+f4 out of a game is bad practice.

I meant on console

i always Exit To Desktop on PC because i am a good boy

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

precision posted:

what are people doing to their PS4s that make rebuilding the database take hours? we haven't rebuilt ours in like... 2 years... and we're constantly buying, downloading, deleting, re-downloading, deleting, re-downloading tons of games and when i did it just now it took literally 5 minutes :confused:

their ps4 is broke op

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I quit to the title screen in any game that doesn't allow manual saving because otherwise I have no idea what the game has actually saved.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

homeless snail posted:

this game is just one frame every 10 seconds, but its a really good frame

Correct, Myst was awesome

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

myst was neat for the time but it's pretty much the dictionary definition of a game that "hasn't aged well"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's weird and cool to me that Myst was actually a big phenomenon back in the day. Even my very non-gamer parents had a copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

myst was neat for the time but it's pretty much the dictionary definition of a game that "hasn't aged well"

I'd say Myst has aged better than basically every other video game. That's not to say the puzzles are great and intuitive but Myst conceptually is a picture hunt you move around in. Basically the entirety of the hidden object genre and the annual Nancy Drew games you've never heard of but sell well enough to justify their development owe their existence to Myst.

• Locked thread