Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Zoro posted:

MSNBC is reporting that Don Brazile's book is splitting democrats in Virginia and suppressing turnout. Their current prediction is Gillespie wins the race tomorrow.

Does this mean it needs 60?

No; it means that for whatever mechanisms that it took to eke out a majority in the House, cannot be used in the Senate. This bill was already held back one day, and the only reason to do that would be because they didn't have agreement with enough votes.

The Senate will have to be less generous in its tax breaks or find new revenues, which is the hardest part in any tax reform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

no

no, I loving refuse to believe it

this is the point where I, at long last, reject the Trump Timeline and start giggling and never stop

see you on the other side, Hieronymus Alloy

I said it in USPOL that my spry young bones were aching with the feeling of an oncoming world war. Can't wait to see it!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zoro posted:

Could just be them trying to get ratings, but they reported on it and had a round table and, essentially, had a roundtable that could be summarized as "Don Brazile is a bitch."

Were they reporting on it or was there some talking head that said that which then translated into the round table? Because these are not the same things.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Zoro posted:

Could just be them trying to get ratings, but they reported on it and had a round table and, essentially, had a roundtable that could be summarized as "Don Brazile is a bitch."

At 3 PM they had McAulliffe on and they asked about the Brazile book. He flat out said “nobody cares what she thinks.”

I think he may be right. Outside of the junkie class - this thread, the closed FB groups, so on - I don’t think people give a drat. They’re gonna vote for their side. Here have a relevant song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2RDdr_SEB0

(This whole album is probably the most relevant album of the last two years and required listening)

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Donald Trump: "I'm ruining the world! Yippee!"

Everybody Else: I don't know fish food or some poo poo.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I am thinking that it being a dispute between neighbors might be more than about leaves or something. And the fact that Rand Paul has kept quiet about it makes me think that he does want it to go away.

...which makes me think maybe there was an affair, seduction, or attempt at the same by somebody involved? Like maybe Rand Paul was having affair with this guy's wife?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Now I know the Saudi thing might look bad but we should have faith in Jared that this is all part of the plan. He'll see it through.

Peace in the Middle East.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

I am thinking that it being a dispute between neighbors might be more than about leaves or something. And the fact that Rand Paul has kept quiet about it makes me think that he does want it to go away.

...which makes me think maybe there was an affair, seduction, or attempt at the same by somebody involved? Like maybe Rand Paul was having affair with this guy's wife?

Or, bear with me, maybe it was some rear end in a top hat's leaves getting on another rear end in a top hat's lawn.

Not even you can turn this molehill into a mountain.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The idiots within the DNC needs to get their poo poo together in a hurry. I don't think a statistical amount of people care about that book (knock on wood), but the fact that she is pushing this poo poo right before an election to make some cash is loving outrageous. I'm fine with determining if there is corruption within the DNC, but let's not do it a week before it could make a big influence on a four year decision in a naked money grab. It really seems like everyone in that group is only concerned with their own jobs or making money for themselves and protecting people from Republican rule second.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Your Boy Fancy posted:

At 3 PM they had McAulliffe on and they asked about the Brazile book. He flat out said “nobody cares what she thinks.”

I think he may be right. Outside of the junkie class - this thread, the closed FB groups, so on - I don’t think people give a drat. They’re gonna vote for their side. Here have a relevant song:

(This whole album is probably the most relevant album of the last two years and required listening)

oh hey this is actually really nice

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WeAreTheRomans posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/927672843504177152

:thunk:

"Hey guys! Look over here! I'm probably doing some shady backroom dealing poo poo with the Saudis you should investigate"

Mueller must laugh his rear end off with how unwittingly cooperative his target is

You honestly couldn't write a person this stupid and have anyone believe it.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/06/trump-schiller-russia-2013-244621

Don't know if this is a big deal or not in the long run

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Must be a ratings grab at 6pm or something because they had some people on who were just going back and forth on how terrible the timing is and how it will depress turnout with the a chyron of "Dem divide right before election could spell doom" or something.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Rinkles posted:

You're suggesting it's an intentional oversight, or is military bureaucracy that disorganized?

I'm not ascribing any state of mind to it, I'm just saying I see it fairly regularly. But that is common with all bureaucracy. DOS is not DHS is not DOJ is not DOD and they are all bad at talking to each other.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ague Proof posted:

Now I know the Saudi thing might look bad but we should have faith in Jared that this is all part of the plan. He'll see it through.

https://twitter.com/AhmadAlgohbary/status/927589345267249152

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

This has been quite a day.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Radish posted:

The idiots within the DNC needs to get their poo poo together in a hurry. I don't think a statistical amount of people care about that book (knock on wood), but the fact that she is pushing this poo poo right before an election to make some cash is loving outrageous. I'm fine with determining if there is corruption within the DNC, but let's not do it a week before it could make a big influence on a four year decision in a naked money grab. It really seems like everyone in that group is only concerned with their own jobs or making money for themselves and protecting people from Republican rule second.

You expected them to change in a year?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Zoro posted:

Must be a ratings grab at 6pm or something because they had some people on who were just going back and forth on how terrible the timing is and how it will depress turnout with the a chyron of "Dem divide right before election could spell doom" or something.

Yeah thats just a bunch of talking heads talking bullshit. It's not based on any real information.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Zoro posted:

Yeah it's a ratings grab, that's what they do, that's what they all do, if talking heads didn't do that we would have cannibalized them all and tossed their bones to the dogs a long time ago. There are reasons Northam could lose but the book angle is furiously stupid.

Cool!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

We're going to war, aren't we?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Willo567 posted:

we never really stopped

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Truly this is more important than whether she's telling the truth.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Looking forward to an increased US troop presence as advisors to the Saudi National guard as they attempt to annex liberate Yemen.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

glowing-fish posted:

It was a KGB plot to hide the remaining Kennedy papers. Rand Paul was going to give out the secrets that aren't being released and a deep cover agent had to be dispatched. Click here to see what THEY don't want you to hear

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Ague Proof posted:

When you get down to it the plan is just crazy enough to work.

Plan:
00. Invade Iraq and gently caress things up
0. Syria/ISIS Clusterfuck
1. Have Traitor NSA gently caress the Kurds
2. Collapse the largest power (SA) in the middle east into decades of palace infighting and possibly civil war.
3. Piss off second largest power (Iran)
4. Invoke the power of the Orb
5. Peace in Middle East

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Isn't this new King trying to make reforms in SA? I know they're moving away from being completely dependent on oil and they had to rush around appeasing various factions to avoid their own Arab Spring. The current system isn't really sustainable.

Do we know if this purge is actually a bad thing? It's violent, but if you want non-violent consolidations of power you need a parliament, not a kingdom.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Willo567 posted:

We've been at war so long the current war is old enough to get a driver's license.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Can't wait until Northam loses and everyone convinces themselves it's because of Donna Brazile, and not that he outed himself as a pandering racist shitbird just before the election :rolleyes:

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Office Pig posted:

Yeah it's a ratings grab, that's what they do, that's what they all do, if talking heads didn't do that we would have cannibalized them all and tossed their bones to the dogs a long time ago. There are reasons Northam could lose but the book angle is furiously stupid.

Cool!

I mostly get my news from articles. I knew about talking heads, but I thought they usually based the talking point on something factual. I guess "book exists" is enough. Really spoiled my dinner today, honestly.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Kilroy posted:

Truly this is more important than whether she's telling the truth.

She said "she considered replacing Clinton in September"

So yeah, she's lying. That's insane.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Isn't this new King trying to make reforms in SA? I know they're moving away from being completely dependent on oil and they had to rush around appeasing various factions to avoid their own Arab Spring. The current system isn't really sustainable.

Do we know if this purge is actually a bad thing? It's violent, but if you want non-violent consolidations of power you need a parliament, not a kingdom.

Pretty sure mass arrests of people with no due process is a bad thing no matter what.

If the guys have been doing 'bad things' then arrest and charge them.

But this looks more like a "I've hosed up and I want to make sure daddy doesn't can me so I'm going to purge all potential rivals" thing

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Willo567 posted:

The United States has been engaged in at least one military conflict since 1776. I am not joking. We have never not been at war with someone, somewhere.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Zoro posted:

I mostly get my news from articles. I knew about talking heads, but I thought they usually based the talking point on something factual. I guess "book exists" is enough. Really spoiled my dinner today, honestly.

My god, it's like watching a baby bird learning how to fly and hitting a window.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Who knew achieving peace in the Middle East was difficult!!? :saddowns:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

theflyingorc posted:

She said "she considered replacing Clinton in September"

That's not actually what she claimed.

I hope Brazile's book doesn't depress Democratic turnout, because Gillespie really is that much worse than Northam, but still, lol at the implication that this will be the thing that sinks Northam. If his candidacy dies, it will be from self-inflicted wounds.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I must be dumb because I don’t get what’s so scandalous or inherently funny about that “milking” comment. Is he making some bizarre joke about how the KSA oppresses women? Is he actually using quotes properly for once?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Xae posted:

Pretty sure mass arrests of people with no due process is a bad thing no matter what.

If the guys have been doing 'bad things' then arrest and charge them.

But this looks more like a "I've hosed up and I want to make sure daddy doesn't can me so I'm going to purge all potential rivals" thing

Yeah, but that’s not how kingdoms work. I’m not sure exactly how SA’s monarchy functions, but I’m going to guess it’s more all-powerful king and less Magna Carta.

Data Graham posted:

I must be dumb because I don’t get what’s so scandalous or inherently funny about that “milking” comment. Is he making some bizarre joke about how the KSA oppresses women? Is he actually using quotes properly for once?

There is a big idle class in SA. Important people get family members jobs where they don’t even come into the office. The Civil Service in SA is absolutely massive and horribly inefficient because of this.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 7, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Data Graham posted:

It's exactly what Trump and his cronies are doing to the US.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Oh there's nothing funny about it, he's more likely than not repeating a fraction of what he heard from someone else about the current coup purging rival princelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
edit: that was mean of me. retracted.

axeil fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 7, 2017

• Locked thread