Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

incoherent posted:

Just get the switch. You spent ~25% of the cost of a switch on the SNES classic.

If $80 for tons of games and two controllers is tough, spending an extra $300 and then $50 or whatever per game is not necessarily as easy as "just get the switch."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Nail Rat posted:

If $80 for tons of games and two controllers is tough, spending an extra $300 and then $50 or whatever per game is not necessarily as easy as "just get the switch."

Yeah, especially when the guy even says he's not even sure if he can afford a console at all.

Goons are experts in being tone deaf and not getting it. Then again that's all of the internet. WELCOME TO THE FUTURE!

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
I’m most of the way through Earthbound, and I’m enjoying it a lot, but there is something I couldn’t put my finger on that bugged me at times. I think I finally know what it is.

I was watching an old AVGN episode where he calls Ghostbusters 2 a “selfish” game because you can’t pause. I think Earthbound falls in that category as well. There are times when it takes control without warning, and it just takes forever before you get control back. Oh you need to take a piss? You agreed to drink tea, too bad. Or ride Tessie, take a bus, go in the moss caves, leave the backstage area for the Runaway 5, etc..

I wanted to get the last sanctuary location and go to bed, but as soon as I got there, it wrenched control from me and I had to watch Ness walk around on his own. I got fed up and made a save state.
If you were playing this on an actual SNES as a kid, it would be super frustrating. Imagine you made it through a tough part and you couldn’t get to a phone before your parents made you shut it off because it was in one of those cut scenes.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My parents always let me get to a save point when it was bed time. I played a ton of ALttP as a kid though and sometimes you have to save in the middle of dungeons and redo them. It was just something you had to do sometimes. Besides, you decided to continue when you were done instead of just saving. I kinda feel like you made your own bed on that one.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Nail Rat posted:

This right here. The switch price tag is our Daughters Daycare for a month. This was a once a quarter splurge for us because I got a bonus at work (which part of it apparently is getting taken back next paycheck because lol we gave you to much, sorry not sorry)

My wife and I work our asses off just for this. As much as I want to get a new system we just can’t afford it

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

You have to pay $80 for just a decent controller on the Switch. gently caress that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
No you don't, the joycons are great

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

SnotGrumble posted:

I’m most of the way through Earthbound, and I’m enjoying it a lot, but there is something I couldn’t put my finger on that bugged me at times. I think I finally know what it is.

I was watching an old AVGN episode where he calls Ghostbusters 2 a “selfish” game because you can’t pause. I think Earthbound falls in that category as well. There are times when it takes control without warning, and it just takes forever before you get control back. Oh you need to take a piss? You agreed to drink tea, too bad. Or ride Tessie, take a bus, go in the moss caves, leave the backstage area for the Runaway 5, etc..

I wanted to get the last sanctuary location and go to bed, but as soon as I got there, it wrenched control from me and I had to watch Ness walk around on his own. I got fed up and made a save state.
If you were playing this on an actual SNES as a kid, it would be super frustrating. Imagine you made it through a tough part and you couldn’t get to a phone before your parents made you shut it off because it was in one of those cut scenes.

as a kid you learn to budget your time around what kind of game you want to play. if it's 10 minutes to bedtime, you aren't firing up an RPG because you're not going to have enough time to get anything done. play a round of mortal kombat 2 or clear a few courses on SMW.

I mean, that's what me and all my friends figured out. you've got more or less an infinitely replenishing pool of free-time as a kid anyway, so it's not like you can't just play the RPG tomorrow after school.

edit: if you were lucky enough to have a game TV separate from the main house TV, you could also pause the game / leave it running and just turn the TV off. viola! you're right where you left off when you wake up / come home from school.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No you don't, the joycons are great

I have big hands, they loving suck man. Also the lack of an actual dpad is garbage.

Also, ughhh, not having a TV to play my SNES classic on is making me annoyed. I don't like having to hook it up to my computer monitor every time I want to play. Really hope I can find some good deals on black friday or whatever.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

WilliamAnderson posted:

I have big hands, they loving suck man. Also the lack of an actual dpad is garbage.

Also, ughhh, not having a TV to play my SNES classic on is making me annoyed. I don't like having to hook it up to my computer monitor every time I want to play. Really hope I can find some good deals on black friday or whatever.

Nah it's fine. The buttons work ability fine as a dpad. And you could be loving Yao Ming and those controllers would be fine

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WilliamAnderson posted:

Yeah, Joycons are pure poo poo if you're a grown adult with larger than medium glove sized hands, which is a large percentage of adult men. You could try these but the spacing is still dogshit:

FastSnail Joy-Con Grips for Nintendo Switch, Wear-resistant Joy-con Handle for Nintendo Switch, 2 Pack (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XZ1PCKK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_3tjaAb1H35J3D

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Nah it's fine. The buttons work ability fine as a dpad. And you could be loving Yao Ming and those controllers would be fine

This is funny because I can press literally all 4 buttons on those things with just my thumb, pretty easily, too, and my hands are much smaller than Yao Ming's, though I can palm a basketball. Good on you for just assuming your own narrow experience is the norm.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 6, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I briefly dipped into several different games the first weekend that I got this, but the ones that I've been focusing on are SMW and Super Metroid. SMW I played the gently caress out of as a kid, but the only other time I played Super Metroid was six or seven years ago and I honestly hated it. Playing it this time has been way better though, I'm not sure what changed other than now having some familiarity with the game. Probably going to do FF3 once I finish those, it's one of my favorite games ever but I haven't played through it in a long time.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I just play the DKC series repeatedly as they are that good.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

metallicaeg posted:

I just play the DKC series repeatedly as they are that good.

DK2 is one of those games I can just start over after beating it.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Sorry about your tiny hands but they're right, the Switch controllers are awful.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jummy posted:

Sorry about your tiny hands but they're right, the Switch controllers are awful.

Nah they're good

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Nah they're good

Your hands or the controller? Because you're wrong on both counts.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
Joycons are fine, I have no idea why people nonstop complain about them

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

WilliamAnderson posted:

Really hope I can find some good deals on black friday or whatever.

A deal on a TV on Black Friday would be unprecedented.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dr. Platypus posted:

Especially in the wrong darned thread

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So I *finally* got my SNES Classic. Is it pretty unanimous that CRT is the best display setting? Games look gorgeous on my TV with it.

Haven’t hacked it yet, but is there a go to site where people have been getting box art?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ballz posted:

So I *finally* got my SNES Classic. Is it pretty unanimous that CRT is the best display setting? Games look gorgeous on my TV with it.

Haven’t hacked it yet, but is there a go to site where people have been getting box art?

It’s subjective. Some say the CRT filter kinda sucks since it’s not that accurate to other CRT filters on emulators or something.

I personally like pixel perfect since I never liked scanlines even as a kid. I love how crisp everything looks.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Fuzz posted:

This is funny because I can press literally all 4 buttons on those things with just my thumb, pretty easily, too

Well don't do that.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I like 4:3 because it looks quite crisp but also retains the intended aspect ratio.

Also, the color-changing glow effect is the best background. It reacts slowly enough not to be distracting but is somehow a really pleasant effect.

Zat fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 7, 2017

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The CRT filter looks really good, especially for games like Donkey Kong Country or Mario RPG which can look kind of gross when you see the pixels cleanly. It's not as great as some CRT filters in other emulators, but it's a pretty solid one.

I use it basically all the time, unless I'm playing the DBZ RPG which uses a weird pixel aspect ratio and only looks right in Pixel Perfect (CRT and 4:3 cut the bottom of the game's visible space off for some reason)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Ballz posted:

This site worked for me really well: http://thegamesdb.net/

It has great scans for almost everything (assuming you want just normal US covers).

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Zat posted:

This site worked for me really well: http://thegamesdb.net/

It has great scans for almost everything (assuming you want just normal US covers).

Perfect, thank you!

One last question: I recall some conversation earlier in the thread about a Secret of Mana improvement hack. I can't find those posts any more, even with search, so does anyone know what hack(s) I should go for? I think there was one that helps improve the dialogue a bit, and also fixes some menus and things. I want to do a co-op playthrough with the wife, and would rather do an enhanced version over the vanilla copy that came with the system.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
There's one that basically switched to a better font that looks better and for in some more dialogue for a better translation on occasion, usually the same dialogue. Can't remember where it was but it was a rare one that want on romhacking.net

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Platypus posted:

JoyCons work fine, but it's not comfortable having your right thumb resting on the thumbstick. Whoops, gently caress, what am I looking at, oh god I'm dead.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Wow this thread died now that everyone has one. No discussion of playing the games?

I feel like I’m most of the way through Super Metroid (just got to the water area) so thinking of what to play next. I loaded Chrono Trigger, but Zelda and Final Fantasy III are also on my “must plays” so am thinking of knocking out one of those first.

I think most of us spent a couple of weeks modding it, powering it on to admire our work and then moved onto other things.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

ghostinmyshell posted:

I think most of us spent a couple of weeks modding it, powering it on to admire our work and then moved onto other things.

Guilty. I've gotten some time into the various translated RPGs, though. Gunpuru is pretty clunky, but fun for the half an hour or so I've put into it. Treasure of the Rudras definitely has that classic Square feel, for better or worse, too.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

This compatibility doc has numerous mentions of changing preset IDs to get games to run properly. I have no idea what a preset ID is or how to change it in hakchi. Googling didn't help. Anybody got a clue?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Ballz posted:

This compatibility doc has numerous mentions of changing preset IDs to get games to run properly. I have no idea what a preset ID is or how to change it in hakchi. Googling didn't help. Anybody got a clue?

You have to select the game and hit Ctrl+Alt+E to open the menu for that.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I've seen some posts about getting canoe to run on other platforms like Raspbian but no details. How would one do this in theory?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
This has basically become the couch co-op machine for when people come over. Not much to talk about besides how everyone loves Tetris & Dr. Mario

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Echophonic posted:

You have to select the game and hit Ctrl+Alt+E to open the menu for that.

:tipshat:

Got Secret of Mana working using this Canoe high-res hack and changing the preset ID to B010.

And I found that Secret of Mana hack Al Borland Corp. referenced on RHDN, it's under the nondescript title of a variable width font hack, although it's a lot more than that. In fact I stacked five different hacks together, and am honestly surprised the whole thing worked.

If anyone else wants to do what I did, take a clean SoM rom, add a header if it's missing one, then from the above RHDN link add the Variable Width Font, SD2 Improvement, and Proper-caser patches. Then go and remove the header and add the Limit 9 patch and finally the high-res Canoe patch from the above reddit thread.

Assuming nothing will blow up in the middle of the game, you now have a vastly improved version of Secret of Mana on your SNES Classic.

Edit: Now I need to figure out how to get Illusion of Gaia to work, because right now the patches aren't helping.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 7, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So how do I get Terranigma to work?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Fuzz posted:

So how do I get Terranigma to work?

Haven't tried it myself, but supposedly this patch will get it running in the default emulator (Canoe). Otherwise maybe try Retroarch.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Had this problem right at launch and I'm hoping someone knows how to fix it now

game is Dragonball Z: Super Saiya Densetsu or Legend of the Super Saiyan depending on what website you're on. or sometimes Legend of the Saiyans which seems to be the least-used around the web but is somehow the title that's in-game for this translation patch

There's a fix going around for some other games with overscan issues, but that still would cut off the bottom of the screen as a 'fix' to make it fit inside the on-screen border properly. I don't know if there's a way to trim down the top of the screen to make it fit instead, but that seems to be where this game stuck it's empty space for some reason

anyone know how to make this play nice with my mini? this game has a lot of weird stuff you can do with the DBZ storyline by playing well (avoiding deaths in the nappa fight lets extra people come to namek, you can kill ginyu while he's in someone elses body and keep someone trapped in ginyu's body as a party member, etc), and i'd really like to be able to play it on my TV without problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ballz posted:

Haven't tried it myself, but supposedly this patch will get it running in the default emulator (Canoe). Otherwise maybe try Retroarch.

Yes, but that patch drops the sound every 5 seconds. I meant has anyone gotten it running bug free on Canoe? We had a discussion about it a few pages back and came to the conclusion that some people just aren't noticing the glaring sound issue.