Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

feedmyleg posted:

Pacific Rim Uprising writers had 3 weeks to put a script together. Then their main character had to be removed. He sounds optimistic and positive in the article, but I can't wait for the followup think pieces after it bombs critically and he blames the fact that they only had 3 weeks to write the script and then the main character had to be removed.

drat, I thought this was about a 3rd Pacific Rim film, because I was sure the second one had already come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Iron Crowned posted:

I may be the only person who though Event Horizon sucked
Sam Neill is great in it at least

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

feedmyleg posted:

Event Horizon is pretty cool. It's just a bummer that it could have been really loving cool made by a better director and a decade earlier.

Apparently a shitload got left on the editing floor and I really want to know what we missed

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Event Horizon is pretty cool. It's just a bummer that it could have been really loving cool made by a better director and a decade earlier.

Man, even when Paul W. S. Anderson makes a generally well received movie he can't catch a break.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
$hopping is still dope

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Conal Cochran posted:

Man, even when Paul W. S. Anderson makes a generally well received movie he can't catch a break.

He wakes up next to Milla Jovovich most mornings, i'm not going to spend much time pitying him.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Two children were born into this world because of the Resident Evil movies.

Mila is going to fight Hellboy after this. Really excited for that.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 7, 2017

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The Resident Evil movies are legit brilliant trash cinema.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Super Fan posted:

The last one felt like they were phoning it in, but the two before it were very, very good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The MSJ posted:

Two children were born into this world because of the Resident Evil movies.

Mila is going to fight Hellboy after this. Really excited for that.

Is she going to be in the Hellboy tv series that's coming out, or is she fighting Ron Perlman in her next movie? Either one would be good news.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Skwirl posted:

Is she going to be in the Hellboy tv series that's coming out, or is she fighting Ron Perlman in her next movie? Either one would be good news.

The movie. She’s playing “Nimue, The Blood Queen”.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best Resident Evil movies are The Evil Within and The Evil Within 2

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

She's fighting David Harbor's Hellboy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Event Horizon definitely has its moments of brilliance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sFd8aWT7Io

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Super Fan posted:

I feel like there's collectively an hour's worth of entertaining moments in the entire Resident Evil film series

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I feel like there's collectively an hour's worth of entertaining moments in the entire Resident Evil film series

Nah, three of them are pretty great start to finish, for what they are. At the very least you gotta give it up for the first one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is so stupid it's great but it's not like every movie in the series has moments like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9xaNclkHMA

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Sherlock Gnomes trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=comz38kRsb0

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Perfect, another entry in the Gnome cinematic universe alongside Gnomeo and Juliet and Gnome Alone

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

If only they'd add A Gnome Named Gnorm to the Gnomniverse

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
I don't want to turn this into a gnome-based pun thread but I'm personally holding out for Gnome Country for Gnome Men.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Too late, there is gnome turning back now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SQdBxVjZx4

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Her Dryer posted:

I don't want to turn this into a gnome-based pun thread but I'm personally holding out for Gnome Country for Gnome Men.

Gnome Country for Kobold Men :colbert:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Phylodox posted:

:perfect:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Phylodox posted:

Why can't I retweet a post?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Phylodox posted:

It's real good, y'all

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Event Horizon is pretty good, but I'll never stop laughing at the fact that this atmospheric, dread-soaked horror film starts by blaring the most late-90's techno you could find in Paul Oakenfold's toilet over the opening credits.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Phylodox posted:

I stand corrected.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Disney blacklisted the LA Times from critic screenings because of an expose on how Disney takes advantage of the city of Anaheim. Several other sites have decided to stop going to press screenings for Disney films in retaliation for the retaliation, including the AVClub and Washington Post

https://www.thewrap.com/critics-denounce-disney-blackout-la-times-disqualify-awards/

EDIT: I guess they just lifted the ban when I was writing this, drat you, Disney!

Tars Tarkas fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 7, 2017

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

I may be the only person who though Event Horizon sucked

I hated it when I first saw it in theaters and when it was sort of re-evaluated in pop culture I watched it again and still only found it ok.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I hated it when I first saw it in theaters and when it was sort of re-evaluated in pop culture I watched it again and still only found it ok.

I wonder if I would have a similar response to War with Jet Li and Jason Statham because when I saw it in theatres it was infuriatingly bad.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Tars Tarkas posted:

Disney blacklisted the LA Times from critic screenings because of an expose on how Disney takes advantage of the city of Anaheim. Several other sites have decided to stop going to press screenings for Disney films in retaliation for the retaliation, including the AVClub and Washington Post

https://www.thewrap.com/critics-denounce-disney-blackout-la-times-disqualify-awards/

EDIT: I guess they just lifted the ban when I was writing this, drat you, Disney!

Now I know why Marvel and Disney movies always get good reviews. The Mouse dost rule harshly with an iron fist, ha ha!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Inescapable Duck posted:

Event Horizon definitely has its moments of brilliance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sFd8aWT7Io

tfw u stub your toe with no shoes on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM6rtL_bOto

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They should make a movie out of the Just Tricking story where Andy takes his neighbour's lawn gnome on vacations with him and sends back photographs of it and postcards for its owner to puzzle over. (She probably knows, and thinks it's adorable)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
That's a subplot in Amelie. I love that movie :3:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Producers have abandoned the Dark Universe to its fate, shambling on lifeless with no brain until Universal does another half-hearted entry a few years down the line that they can later deny is part of the Dark Universe.

quote:

Universal's cinematic Dark Universe is in danger of being mummified.

Just five months after Universal released a much-discussed cast photo promising a slew of movies starring the likes of Johnny Depp, Russell Crowe and Javier Bardem — all drawn on characters like the Invisible Man, Wolf Man and Frankenstein in its stable of classic horror films — none of the projects appears to have a pulse.

Writer-producers Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan, who were hired as the monster universe architects, have departed the franchise, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. Kurtzman, whose deal with Universal lapsed in September, is focusing on television (he's an executive producer on CBS All Access' Star Trek: Discovery, and his overall deal with CBS involves more than a half-dozen shows), while Morgan has returned to the Fast and Furious franchise and is writing a spinoff for Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham.

In early October, Universal pulled the plug on preproduction that had started in London for Bride of Frankenstein — which was to have followed The Mummy as the second entry in the series — partly because execs felt the script by writer-director Bill Condon wasn't ready. Angelina Jolie had been courted for the lead but is now not attached. Insiders insist Condon (Beauty and the Beast) remains attached, but no date has been set to resume work, and a Feb. 14, 2019, release has been shelved.

All this comes in the wake of Mummy's poor performance. Released in June, the Tom Cruise picture grossed a relatively paltry $409 million worldwide on a budget of $125 million-plus (some insiders place it considerably higher). That doesn't include marketing costs of at least $100 million.

Emblematic of Dark Universe's problems is the tony office building on the Universal lot that was revamped at considerable expense for the new venture. After being decked out in monster regalia, it now sits mostly empty.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/alex-kurtzman-chris-morgan-exit-universal-monsterverse-1055854

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

marshmallow creep posted:

I wonder if I would have a similar response to War with Jet Li and Jason Statham because when I saw it in theatres it was infuriatingly bad.

I remember liking it when I saw it in theaters, but I was also drunk

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tars Tarkas posted:

Producers have abandoned the Dark Universe to its fate, shambling on lifeless with no brain until Universal does another half-hearted entry a few years down the line that they can later deny is part of the Dark Universe.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/alex-kurtzman-chris-morgan-exit-universal-monsterverse-1055854
4th time’s the charm?

They need to stop focusing on the shared universe crap and just put out a quality film.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I like that there's a successful The Conjuring extended universe but Universal couldn't even figure out how to make classic monster movies work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's probably due to Universal wanting to make action movies based off of horror concepts. The fact that they're wanting to bring in Blum (like they'll get him :lol:) tells me that they've shifted from the one trend they're trying to chase (superhero movies) toward a new trend they're trying to chase (smart budget horror). It's still them running around with no idea what they're doing, but at least they're following the proper trend now.

• Locked thread