Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

2. The MA Supreme Court just handed down a ruling that private citizens that publicly accuse someone must meet the higher standards that public citizens have to meet for Libel and Slander suits, effectively giving the perpetrator's legal team carte blanche to smear anyone that comes forward.

First, got a link?

Second, that would only matter for people in Massachusetts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

quote:

71-year-old Jimmy Page, now dating a 25-year-old

Look, I'm all for "age doesn't matter (past a certain age)" but this is loving absurd

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Man, I used to be fine watching Polanski films when I was younger (teenager) but like I tried to watch a Woody Allen movie for the first time like 2 years back (Manhattan) and it just made me extremely uncomfortable and I stopped it.

Like I just have trouble understanding how people who are aware of their crimes not have trouble watching their films, because even beyond the whole "the artist who created this piece of media is a monster" the films often have like thematic elements where you are just constantly reminded of their crimes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snooze Cruise posted:

Like I just have trouble understanding how people who are aware of their crimes not have trouble watching their films, because even beyond the whole "the artist who created this piece of media is a monster" the films often have like thematic elements where you are just constantly reminded of their crimes.

Ninth Gate is the only Polanski movie I would watch again, probably because it doesn't have any particularly weird sex stuff.

The last Woody Allen movie I tried to watch was Annie Hall and... yeah that didn't go well, I just turned it off.

e: I don't remember which thread but I made an effortpost about Hal Hartley along the lines of "separating art from artist". Lemme see if I can find it

precision fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 3, 2017

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry, I love Repulsion and Rosemarys Baby and I’m not going to let Polanski’s crimes change that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Polanski doesn't cast himself in his movies anymore. With Allen you don't get a choice, you have to put the whole turd in your mouth.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Most of Woody Allens movies suck anyway so they’re easier to avoid

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Super Fan posted:

Sorry, I love Repulsion and Rosemarys Baby and I’m not going to let Polanski’s crimes change that.

I am not saying it should, like I have really good memories of Rosemary's Baby myself. I personally wouldn't be able to watch it again but that is just me. Its just sometimes people act like its the easiest thing in the world to watch those movies, but its hard to seperate art from the artist in the case where the art sometimes resemble's the artist's crimes.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

I am not saying it should, like I have really good memories of Rosemary's Baby myself. I personally wouldn't be able to watch it again but that is just me. Its just sometimes people act like its the easiest thing in the world to watch those movies, but its hard to seperate art from the artist in the case where the art sometimes resemble's the artist's crimes.

I'm with you on this. Chinatown was one of my favorite all time movies, but I wasn't able to finish watching last time I tried. I worry that Kevin Spacey is going to make rewatching L.A. Confidential hard to do.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Woody Allen I never cared for, and Polanski alright but I've never had a hankering for rewatching any of his films.

Spacey though, I've watched Seven & LA Confidential a bunch of times, and a bunch of others. That's gonna be hard on me, the innocent movie fan caught up in this mess.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Innocent movie fan would make for a great SNL character.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Remember when Polanski was in Rush Hour 3 a Brett Ratner film

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Snooze Cruise posted:

Kinda sounds like you're attempting to guilt people who enjoy Polanskis or Allens work.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Super Fan posted:

Kinda sounds like you're attempting to guilt people who enjoy Polanskis or Allens work.

Ahh! I really am trying not to, sorry if it comes across that way. I feel like I am having trouble getting across what I mean.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Snooze Cruise posted:

Ahh! I really am trying not to, sorry if it comes across that way. I feel like I am having trouble getting across what I mean.

It's cool man

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Snooze Cruise posted:

Innocent movie fan would make for a great SNL character.

Super Fan what do you say, you up for it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Powaqoatse posted:

Woody Allen I never cared for, and Polanski alright but I've never had a hankering for rewatching any of his films.

Spacey though, I've watched Seven & LA Confidential a bunch of times, and a bunch of others. That's gonna be hard on me, the innocent movie fan caught up in this mess.

Yeah I'm trying not to think about the Spacey thing too much because he has been in a lot of movies I love, and is often the reason I loved them. :(

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Pacific Rim Uprising writers had 3 weeks to put a script together. Then their main character had to be removed. He sounds optimistic and positive in the article, but I can't wait for the followup think pieces after it bombs critically and he blames the fact that they only had 3 weeks to write the script and then the main character had to be removed.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

wyoming posted:

It's pretty easy to ruin all of rock and roll.

https://local.theonion.com/man-always-gets-little-rush-out-of-telling-people-john-1819578998

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

precision posted:

Yeah I'm trying not to think about the Spacey thing too much because he has been in a lot of movies I love, and is often the reason I loved them. :(

On the other hand he was also in KPAX and Pay It Forward so gently caress him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

wyoming posted:

It's pretty easy to ruin all of rock and roll.
https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/i-lost-my-virginity-to-david-bowie

"Starting from the age of 15, Lori Mattix ranked among the most desired of these so-called baby groupies who were helping to satisfy the sexual appetites of Jimmy Page, David Bowie, Mick Jagger, and others."

Didn't Led Zeppelin basically kidnap a teenager to use as a sex slave for a couple weeks?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Didn't Led Zeppelin basically kidnap a teenager to use as a sex slave for a couple weeks?

Jimmy Page. She was the Lori Maddox mentioned in one of the upthread links. And it was for three years, not a couple of weeks, starting when she was 14.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Pacific Rim Uprising writers had 3 weeks to put a script together. Then their main character had to be removed. He sounds optimistic and positive in the article, but I can't wait for the followup think pieces after it bombs critically and he blames the fact that they only had 3 weeks to write the script and then the main character had to be removed.

There have been plenty of other movies with as much fuckery script-wise before shooting that have turned out well. DeKnight has been reliably good in the past, so I'm still holding out hope for some good rock 'em sock 'em action at least.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No wonder he bought Crowley's old house.

e: (Jimmy Page, that is)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I wonder if Bryan Singer is going to actually get in trouble this time. It didn't seem like there was much fallout when he initially got accused, but Kevin Spacey is apparently a regular attendee at his creepy parties.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I wonder if Bryan Singer is going to actually get in trouble this time. It didn't seem like there was much fallout when he initially got accused, but Kevin Spacey is apparently a regular attendee at his creepy parties.

If everyone is 18 or older at those creepy parties I don't see it becoming a big deal. Of course that is a big "if."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well now we know why he had a soft spot for Baby

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Phanatic posted:

Jimmy Page. She was the Lori Maddox mentioned in one of the upthread links. And it was for three years, not a couple of weeks, starting when she was 14.

This makes the groupie-trading in Almost Famous even grosser

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He was too old for him

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Oh gently caress I hadn't even thought of Baby Driver, drat it

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Skwirl posted:

If everyone is 18 or older at those creepy parties I don't see it becoming a big deal. Of course that is a big "if."
Uh, there is a pretty good chance not everybody at those parties were 18 or older.

Alan Ball basically admitted that the parties are all about coercing young men into having sex with older men if they want to become Hollywood stars. It seems like he didn't even realize what he was saying was incredibly morally repugnant.
https://www.thewrap.com/bret-easton-ellis-tells-alan-ball-invited-bryan-singer-underage-party-audio/

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 3, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Uh, there is a pretty good chance not everybody at those parties were 18 or older.

But that's unpossible, Singer says they check IDs at the door!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

well why not posted:

Leto rumours have been swirling for years at this point. Lots of people out there say he likes young girls. I don't know if his band ever had particularly young fans, they always sounded like a safe emo band doing U2 covers. I was in high school during the My Chemical Romance era and no one cared about 30 Seconds To Mars.

I hope the doors open on this because the music industry would just straight up end. You would have to disavow basically every major star from Elvis on.

precision posted:

Look, I'm all for "age doesn't matter (past a certain age)" but this is loving absurd

Isn't Goldblum banging some 19 year old?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Alan Ball basically admitted that the parties are all about coercing young men into having sex with older men if they want to become Hollywood stars. It seems like he didn't even realize what he was saying was incredibly morally repugnant.
https://www.thewrap.com/bret-easton-ellis-tells-alan-ball-invited-bryan-singer-underage-party-audio/

When Bret loving Easton Ellis is uncomfortable with what you're doing, that's a bad sign.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Isn't Goldblum banging some 19 year old?

Oh, I think I did hear about that several years ago. In my mind I'd never really put an age to Goldblum, but he's 65 now, jesus.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Every movie Victor Salva made was just an excuse to watch teen boys showering or peeing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Every movie Victor Salva made was just an excuse to watch teen boys showering or peeing.
What kills me is he got such a light sentence and then went back to business as usual like nothing happpend. The only real push back I've ever heard of him getting was when that Canadian actors union came out against him and disrupted the filming of JC3 by a little bit.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
How the hell does Casey Affleck have a career after this?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Skwirl posted:

Okay yeah that's totally fine. If the 18+ year olds don't wanna have sex with their bosses they can just get fired and gently caress off forever. Get jobs as gaffers best boys in idk Alaska

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure Skwirl just meant "not a big deal" as in "not criminal and intensely morally repugnant".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

I'm pretty sure Skwirl just meant "not a big deal" as in "not criminal and intensely morally repugnant".

I'm pretty sure pressuring people into sex in order to employ them is still pretty morally repugnant and possibly criminal. It being 18+ just takes a single layer off the loving skeeze.

• Locked thread