Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

an adult beverage posted:

Korg might be the funniest character I've seen in a movie all year. I want a Korg solo movie ASAP.

"Our revolution failed because I didn't make enough copies of the pamphlet and only my mum showed up with her new boyfriend, who I hate."

Very Monty Pythonesque

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I had no idea the director and a few actors were from New Zealand. I'm terrible with accents and thought the rock dude was just this really chipper guy with some vaguely English accent.

I also found it funny that he was weirdly trusting toward strangers. He tells Loki's illusion "Piss off, ghost!" but then later when he sees the same 'ghost' that looks identical to the one in the holding area but this time its being zapped in the hangar bay he's just all :kimchi: "Hey fella you reckon you want to join us on our violent overthrow of our opressors yah?"

Are there some stereotypes about New Zealanders I'm not familiar with?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sir Nose posted:

Anyone see it in 3D? Comments? I know that 3D isn't popular around here, but I rather enjoyed it for the spacey scenes in GOTG and Dr. Strange.

There were some early moments where it really annoyed me because it made some bird's eye view shots look like I was looking down on a miniature set. But something like the POV from behind Mjolnir as it flew around was pretty rad.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Panfilo posted:

Apparently "Giant nightclub bouncer with a tiny soft voice" was the stereotype they were riffing off with Korg :v:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Panfilo posted:

These should help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtWirGxV7Q8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESD3mlgpSwM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Xvsjy57X0

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The fat kid in that movie will be co-starring in Deadpool 2. Kiwis are taking over the superhero film genre. :v:

Edit:
https://twitter.com/TaikaWaititi/status/879957239653580800

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 7, 2017

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Movie was pretty crazy, fun and colourful. Thor was more of a smartass then ever, but I guess that;'s because hes been around humans. I thought Loki could have done more Loki-stuff, he kept getting his rear end kicked in fights. Also Odin's death was genuinely terrible. He's just chilling on a cliff and his two sons come, he says some cryptic poo poo and floats off in gold sparkles.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

henpod posted:

Movie was pretty crazy, fun and colourful. Thor was more of a smartass then ever, but I guess that;'s because hes been around humans. I thought Loki could have done more Loki-stuff, he kept getting his rear end kicked in fights. Also Odin's death was genuinely terrible. He's just chilling on a cliff and his two sons come, he says some cryptic poo poo and floats off in gold sparkles.

I doubt your commitment to sparkle-Odin.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think I really like that this movie established that space being very silly is an actual thing in the MCU instead of just an artifact of GotG being a silly movie. Like everything in space was very stupid and wacky in GotG but you could just accept that was just because the tone of the movie was that. But now someone from another series went to space and found it equally silly that establishes that is just what space is in this series.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
~'tis A Silly Place~

henpod posted:

It was pretty anticlimactic but I liked the vague impression that Odin was pretty much a meaty blob of nanomachines at that point.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Accretionist posted:

~'tis A Silly Place~

Yeah, exactly that. Like it wasn't just that GotG was silly so it was showing space in a silly lens, thor also went to space and it actually is just that silly. Like it's canonical that space is just wacky and that is a really funny concept to me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snak posted:

yeah, for being a big goofy doofus, they imparted a good amount of character on Hulk in this movie. Like, obviously he likes being in a world where he's loved for being destructive instead of hated for it, but you can tell he's also lonely. Valkerie is his only friend, and she's got her own problems. They're both self-destructive and unhappy people.

Yeah there's a lot happening that is said visually. Second go around watching Ragnorak, I spent a lot of time noticing how amazing the production was, the sets, the costumes, the colors. This movie has some of the most rad and over the top imagery since I don't know, Enter the Void.

e: nice subtle and entirely visual thing, Hela powering up the longer she is in Asgard. She gets greener and greener (kinda Hulk-like), and at times evinces straight up green veins when she's changing her visual age based on who she is talking to.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shageletic posted:

straight up green veins

Did someone at marvel invent new SFX software to color people's veins or something? There wasn't a power or attack in the whole movie that didn't recolor someone's veins.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I know when the Immigrant Song kicked in at the end it recolored a few of mine

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

PantsBandit posted:

Jeff Goldblum is a goddamn national treasure. At multiple points he would come onscreen and I'd be laughing before he even said anything due to his mannerisms, facial movements.

Thor Ragnarok is an excellent scifi movie that happens to star Thor, just as Winter Soldier was an excellent martial arts movie that happened to star captain America.
The shot where Thor is on the chair being shown the Grandmaster's, like, club or whatever and the Grandmaster is playing some kind of space Casio/turntable machine is still cracking me up days after seeing it. It was like for seven seconds the film had been taken over by Wes Anderson.

I don't know a heck of a lot about comic book Thor outside the films, but this was the first time that I saw Thor as being accurate to the actual Norse mythology he springs from. Thor's supposed to be the fun guy that you can have a beer with and who's like the only God who really gives a crap about humans, so this really, really resonated with that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Strange Matter posted:

The shot where Thor is on the chair being shown the Grandmaster's, like, club or whatever and the Grandmaster is playing some kind of space Casio/turntable machine is still cracking me up days after seeing it. It was like for seven seconds the film had been taken over by Wes Anderson.

I don't know a heck of a lot about comic book Thor outside the films, but this was the first time that I saw Thor as being accurate to the actual Norse mythology he springs from. Thor's supposed to be the fun guy that you can have a beer with and who's like the only God who really gives a crap about humans, so this really, really resonated with that.

Norse mythology Thor is also a complete oaf. He's always more brawn then brain and would rather smash things than think about things.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Kirby planet rocked!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The ships being straight up inspired by Chris Foss was amazing. Holy gently caress this movie is so beautiful!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I doubt your commitment to sparkle-Odin.

I thought it was a really funny scene myself. 'Oh, hey boys. Fancy meeting you here. I guess I should say sorry for all the lies... Nah, I decided to die just now. By the way you have a vengeful sister who's vastly more powerful than you, and I'm the only thing that has kept her from murdering everyone. Well, good luck, boys. ×turns into fireflies×

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Renoistic posted:

I thought it was a really funny scene myself. 'Oh, hey boys. Fancy meeting you here. I guess I should say sorry for all the lies... Nah, I decided to die just now. By the way you have a vengeful sister who's vastly more powerful than you, and I'm the only thing that has kept her from murdering everyone. Well, good luck, boys. ×turns into fireflies×

Odin is seriously competing with Ego for the "Worst Dad in the MCU" award

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Odin is seriously competing with Ego for the "Worst Dad in the MCU" award

Again, very fitting for the mythological Odin.

The thing about the mythological Norse gods is that they're all tremendous assholes and are always willing to take what is not there and screw everyone else over and never learn any lessons from their actions.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

loved the movie, and the end shot of eyepatch thor with his motley crew makes for a space opera I didnt know I wanted. Give me space pirate thor.

Goldblum was obviously aces, but Valkyrie & Korg were the standouts for me. Tessa was really fun as Valkyrie and the flashback scene was as good as the trailer sold it to be. I also really liked Karl Urban's character even if his arc was weak. He sold the comedy bits in the beginning amazingly well.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Everyone seems to love Korg and for me he was just ok at best. I honestly could have gone without him.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Taika Waititi has mentioned in several interviews that he's really interested in taking these bizarre characters in bizarre situations in bizarre locations and just making them sit down and talk about their feelings which lead to scenes like Thor talking with Korg about his feelings over losing his hammer, and Thor and Hulk just sitting and arguing which one was more like fire which were some of the more hilarious scenes in the movie. Taika is really really aware that all the clichéd dramatic/climactic scenes in comicbook movies are inherently ridiculous and he went after them like a terrier after a rat, it was extremely deliberate.

In one of the interviews he talked about how he likes to let everyone just mess around on set to see what happens (which obviously lead to a whole bunch of the best dialogue in the movie) and he'll start a scene by going "Right, how can we gently caress up this movie today?" :v:

This is a good thing in the right dose for this genre.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's pretty great that of the four remaining Asgardians who matter, two are black and one's actually blue.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, Odin "God of the Gallows" is an rear end in a top hat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Movie fun, Hel was great and I approve wholeheartedly if the rumors are true and she's been merged with Death for the MCU and so will be back in Infinity War.

Best gags for me were with Doctor Strange.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
I'm kind of amazed at the different scenes between the Trailer and the actual movie. Rogue One did this last year too. Is this a Disney thing?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Duey posted:

I'm kind of amazed at the different scenes between the Trailer and the actual movie. Rogue One did this last year too. Is this a Disney thing?

The big ones I noticed were Hela crushing the hammer in the city in the trailer instead of on that blue screened Norwegian cliff. Taika Waititi said this was a reshoot as he didn't like having Odin and Hela in the city. And Thor uppercutting Hulk without his super saiyan lightning effects may have been because they wanted to save the reveal for the movie or maybe they hadn't finished the effects yet for the trailer.

Rogue One also had a shitload of reshoots to the point where they had Tony Gilroy pretty much ghost directing the final act of the movie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another big difference from the trailers I noticed was that in the trailers where Thor confronts Hel on the Bifrost, he has both eyes.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am totally fine with misleading trailers that give the feel of a movie without giving away spoilers.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Movie is very good. I like the irreverence and wish that it had even more jokes, to be honest. Doctor Strange was better characterized than in the entirety of his movie, Jeff Goldblum is a magical alien gift from the heavens, and while I hated the first two Thor movies and Avengers, Loki was a cool and good character.

The serious moments (Odin's death, Skurge's last stand) didn't really work with the exception of Hulk transforming back to Banner, and they should have just straight up gone for comedy. It was a loving beautiful movie though, there were some incredibly awesome shots that almost made the rest of the action being kinda samey work. The Hulk/Thor battle was very awesome too.

edit: also it is unfair that chris hemsworth is as funny and handsome as he is. like, everyone should only get one. I want to see him do more comedy because he was good at the physical stuff as well as delivering the writing. Thor is like an overgrown 12-year-old boy and Hemsworth really makes that character work.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 8, 2017

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

swickles posted:

I am totally fine with misleading trailers that give the feel of a movie without giving away spoilers.
Same. Kinda like how Waititi directed the Thor mockumentary in the lead up to this. Captures the vibe without spoiling anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thor seems very subtly Space Australian in this movie. Maybe a Kiwi director helped there.

Weirdly enough, Thor's basically in the position that Beta Ray Bill is usually introduced as by the end of the movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also, the implication of Marvel space being very silly is that Earth is actually the strange place because people there are so serious all the time.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Again, very fitting for the mythological Odin.

The thing about the mythological Norse gods is that they're all tremendous assholes and are always willing to take what is not there and screw everyone else over and never learn any lessons from their actions.

They seem to have much better rep than Greco-Roman Gods though. Is that right, or do they just have a better PR team?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Duey posted:

People get so mental about being 'spoiled' (viewing trailers is spoilers, you see) that movies are starting to mock up fake scenes/alter trailers deliberately to get around it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's probably also making use of reshoots and cut or altered scenes before the movie is finalised.

I think it's a nice middle ground between trailers that basically spell out the movie's entire plot (see Beavis) vs trailers that completely misrepresent the movie. (and I'm sure some somehow manage to do both)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Inescapable Duck posted:

Thor seems very subtly Space Australian in this movie. Maybe a Kiwi director helped there.

Weirdly enough, Thor's basically in the position that Beta Ray Bill is usually introduced as by the end of the movie.

I thought Valkyrie's accent sounded more Kiwi than British (like all other Asgardians) too, I was surprised to find Thompson's American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
"We need to save our planet!"

(Shoves 200 people onto a boat)

• Locked thread