Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zalabar posted:

Anyone have experiance with 3d printed terrain? This kickstarter looks good, and mentions some sanding for the pieces.

I would never buy terrain with multiple levels that did not feature a way to get up to the higher levels. Well, I guess if I were playing a game where flight were common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It seems weird that you can't just get the files and diy.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Zalabar posted:

Anyone have experiance with 3d printed terrain? This kickstarter looks good, and mentions some sanding for the pieces.

If you're going to be making a lot of the same thing, it's faster and less expensive to create molds of what you want and cast them in a material that is suitable to your needs. In the case of a project like this, 3D printing is handy for producing prototypes and getting a feel for size, and color, but it doesn't make any sense to be 3D printing this terrain in large quantities.

It is a little more convenient, but generally not less expensive, to print it yourself if you're just making a single set for yourself that does not have a lot of duplicate pieces, and you have easy access to a resin or sandstone based 3D. Sandstone will get you the print resolution you need plus full color, but those printers are really expensive. Resin will get you the print resolution you need, but you'll need to paint it by hand. Plastic extrusion printers are generally not going to give you the resolution you want, especially after sandpaper or an acetone bath.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

moths posted:

It seems weird that you can't just get the files and diy.

See my post. Basically he just wants machines so that he can crank them out. The fact that that's the focal point and not the actual terrain (in his pitch) is not cool :smith:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mors Rattus posted:

croooooooooooooooooooooonk

Fuckin hell I'd forgotten about cronks.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Would anyone care to explain for the unenlightened?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's like the way hack fantasy authors pepper their proper nouns with apostrophes, only stupider.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Falstaff posted:

Would anyone care to explain for the unenlightened?

sean k reynolds decided to use a stupid name (cronk) for a type of ability

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

it's like a feat, but better, because it's a cronk

it's like a spell, but better, because it's a cronk

cronk

croooooooooooooooonk

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I'm getting cronk tonight.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

So, like... That's the actual name for these abilities? It's not a placeholder or whatever? Wow, that's awful.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Falstaff posted:

So, like... That's the actual name for these abilities? It's not a placeholder or whatever? Wow, that's awful.

Better watch your tongue or I'll cronk you up. :colbert:

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

That might be scary if I had any idea what it meant!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s ok, HGS is all talk, no cronk.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So I am very much down for this: Dragons Conquer America, from the folks that brought us Faith the RPG, comes Dragons riding Spaniards against dragon worshipping Aztecs. They have an awesome, free starter set too, if you want to check it out first.

I'm the magic system that's based on either genocide or stereotype blood sacrifice.

no seriously gently caress this

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Falstaff posted:

The Free Dictionary posted:

cronk (krɒŋk)

adj

Austral unfit; unsound

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014

:ssh:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Zalabar posted:

I've seen this kind of terrain in person, it looks like poo poo unless you want to spend the time sanding/melting every square inch of the terrain.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

That Old Tree posted:

Quintuple-butt

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's the poo poo that keeps on making GBS threads.

guys I have an idea

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So for anyone who wants to play a Heroes of Might and Magic board game, here you go:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/176416942/heroes-vs-warlords

I'm kinda tempted cause it looks so much like the PC game which I really loved.

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, he would like fries with that, thank you.
Holy poo poo this was informative. I'm coming here before any kickstarters now!

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Selecta84 posted:

So for anyone who wants to play a Heroes of Might and Magic board game, here you go:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/176416942/heroes-vs-warlords

I'm kinda tempted cause it looks so much like the PC game which I really loved.

I get that they're going with the theme here, but it's really making it hard to read all their infographics cause of how lovely the quality of it looks.

Other than that, it seems interesting. Needs a little shaping up, their stretch goals seem haphazard and random if at all.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

kinkouin posted:

I get that they're going with the theme here, but it's really making it hard to read all their infographics cause of how lovely the quality of it looks.

Other than that, it seems interesting. Needs a little shaping up, their stretch goals seem haphazard and random if at all.

Yeah, the campaign is not pretty...

Just look at his Website https://www.ugg.de or their shop https://www.uug2nd.de. It looks so dated but I ordered from without a hitch and they all seemed pretty nice when I was at their booth at Spiel Essen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mors Rattus posted:

it's like a feat, but better, because it's a cronk

it's like a spell, but better, because it's a cronk

You gotta put a bangin' cronk on it.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
Another dice Kickstarter.

The gimmick this time is all dice in the set are proportional. I saw some of the guys metal dice and they're kind of cool.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rhandhali posted:

The gimmick this time is all dice in the set are proportional. I saw some of the guys metal dice and they're kind of cool.

Proportional to what? Like, what does that even mean? I went to read the KS and I still am not sure, I think their claim is their dice are all completely balanced and all sides are the same size and shape, and the weight is evenly distributed?

But I'm not totally sure.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Mors Rattus posted:

Proportional to what? Like, what does that even mean? I went to read the KS and I still am not sure, I think their claim is their dice are all completely balanced and all sides are the same size and shape, and the weight is evenly distributed?

You're just not yet at the stage when any and all tiny imprecisions and irregularities are jarring and unbearable to perceive.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Mors Rattus posted:

I can't help but notice the guy's surname begins with a Z.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I have gamescience/zocchi dice mostly because, after I saw his videos and found them really interesting, I figured they deserved to exist. They're also made locally to where I used to live.

But if you're that worried about variations on your dice use a dice rolling program. Or spend hundreds of dollars on machined dice that have tolerances in the thousandths of an inch. It's your money.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rhandhali posted:

But if you're that worried about variations on your dice use a dice rolling program. Or spend hundreds of dollars on machined dice that have tolerances in the thousandths of an inch. It's your money.

Or get therapy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

My problem is that 'proportional' is almost totally meaningless as a word on its own, without specifying what it's supposed to be in proportion to.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
They do specify that it's proportional to each other--the dice are all scaled to match and they bring up that 'most other' dice sets do not have the same relative proportions.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Okay, that wasn't totally clear on my read but I didn't watch the video and I tend to zone out when DICE SCIENCE starts happening.

This gimmick is goofy and dumb but no moreso than any other DICE SCIENCE gimmick, I suppose.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

homullus posted:

Or get therapy.

There are far worse things in this hobby than obsessing over dice. As long as you aren't taking out loans or going hungry buy all the meteorite/titanium/scandium dice you want. Fill a bathtub with them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Please do not attempt to dive scrooge mcduck style in your bathtub of gold dice.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Rhandhali posted:

Zucati does good work, but he's usually way overpriced for his metal stuff. However, if you are into collecting super strange/weird dice, he's usually the one that's got the best metal dice.

His woodworking aint bad either, got a dice tray off him last year.

Mors Rattus posted:

I think their claim is their dice are all completely balanced and all sides are the same size and shape, and the weight is evenly distributed?

Kinda? He's always doing some silly gimmick to keep pushing new concepts. I'd still say it's a pass on this as it's not exactly the most useful/cool ones out there.

Zucati is usually more about gimmicks and show die, rather than useful dice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The intent with this set is to make sure like the D6 weighs the same and is about the same size as the D20 and the D8 etc. Because supposedly once you roll a heavier die like the D20 in your normal crappy set of dice, then you go to roll a lighter die and you roll it too hard and this reduces your "rolling accuracy" or some poo poo like that.

Whatever, he's selling sets for a pretty reasonable price, and it's cool that you can get them pre-inked or even fresh off the sprue if you wanted that for some reason.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I started clipping the corners off my wargame (and even some board game) counters so buying dice that need to be assembled off the sprue is my next logical step.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GaistHeidegger posted:

They do specify that it's proportional to each other--the dice are all scaled to match and they bring up that 'most other' dice sets do not have the same relative proportions.

The page specifically says that the d20 and d6 are different sizes, though. They certainly don’t have the same mass. I like that he explains that the dice will last a long time. I don’t think wear and tear is much of a concern unless you’re rolling onto a belt sander or something.

I’ve backed some of his other stuff because I have a dice problem, but this KS left me cold.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
"The D6 is proportional to the D20" still doesn't mean anything! Do they have the same mass? The same volume? The same side length? The same area per face? The same surface area? Do they roll the same distance when tossed with equal force?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I kind of love that he doesn't really understand what "proportional" means or how to use it, but made it the selling point of his kickstarter anyway.