Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i'm worried about more immediate concerns such as: can I even walk around chicago without being pelted with garbage and Vienna All-beef Franks or will the packers win another game this season

Just tell everyone that you like to kiss titties, too, and everything should be okay. Be sure to do it in a Superfans accent, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

At least Rodgers got a ring

Meanwhile looking at what happened with Luck just makes me sadder by the day

This but RG3.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fwiw the Packers base is so incredibly outraged about Capers' performance I think there's a decent chance he goes away this year. It's just the same old poo poo over and over. The Packers coaching and front office badly needs fresh blood.

I don't mind Ted's drafting but he's so passive with everything else that I honestly would just relegate him to Head Scout or something, and put Eliot Wolf in charge. Our free agents this year have been doing pretty well (injuries aside) and I have a healthy suspicion that it's Wolf behind all these FA moves, they're way too uncharacteristic for it to be Ted turning over a new leaf.

I'm rapidly losing any respect I had for Fat Mike and am becoming increasingly convinced that it's just that Rodgers is such a transcendental player and people are loath to attribute so much success all on one single player and are giving the people who surround him too many parts of the credit.

What would this Packers team be like with Belichick or Reid or even a young coach like McVay? Pederson or Carroll? Like obviously I'm naming some of the very best coaches in the league, and I'm still not convinced that we get an upgrade by replacing Fat Mike, but I believe this team has more than enough talent (with a healthy Rodgers) to be utterly dominant. It feels like the coaching and front office has been content to coast along, insisting on their philosophy for the past 7 years, instead of striving continually to be better than the best. "Obviously," it seems as if they say to themselves, "it's working because {we won the Super Bowl} {we went 15-1} {we went to the NFCCG multiple times} . . ."

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
so looking at the lions schedule they face potentially two teams with a winning record(discounting if the Bengals turn around their season by week 16) in the Vikings and Ravens(who play the Packers and Watson-less Texans the next weeks before their game against the Lions)

Edit: Also, there's a not out of the realm possibility that the bears could win the division when the vikings eventually crash with a 10-6 record(They're not beating the eagles lmao)

GenericMartini fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 7, 2017

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
How on Earth do you keep a backup job for two years and perform like that?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Speleothing posted:

How on Earth do you keep a backup job for two years and perform like that?

He had an amazing preseason a few years ago, and didn't play any significant snaps.

And during practice he goes up against a Dom Capers D.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Is this some optical illusion where there's not actually a sight lane to that receiver between the two OL or is it as bad as it looks

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Lions will beat the Browns because I don't think losing to the Browns is allowable in the natural universe.

However, the Lions are setting themselves up for a crushing loss to the Bears.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
There are 4 defenders missing from that picture so it's probably trap coverage on the left receiver expecting Jordy to run exactly that route and the left receiver to run a fly to the end zone with Cobb and the RB in man on the right? I'd have to go back and watch the all 22 though

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hot Diggity! posted:

They broke that streak last season iirc

Two seasons ago, which is why he said 2 out of 3. Of course we couldn’t break it earlier against a team that was resting all its good players when we were fighting for playoff seeding.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
God drat it Bears, you better beat the Packers this weekend. You are coming off the bye. They are coming off a short week and starting Brett Hundley. I am flying down to Texas to spend the following weekend with my sister and her Packer fan fiance.

You must not lose!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I don't want to see Capers there another year. There is absolutely talent on this defense. Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, Nick Perry, Blake Martinez, Josh Jones, and Morgan Burnett all varying degrees of above average. Jake Ryan plays the run well, Haha is having a down year but still passable most of the time. Davon House is getting beaten on certain routes but is a step up from corner the past few seasons. Randall started poorly but hasn't been playing nearly as badly as he started the season. I watch them play and it's the same thing every week. Stop on first and second down, huge conversion on third down. Soft man coverage and gigantic loving zones. They play prevent on third down in the first quarter of the god drat game.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

fishing with the fam posted:

God drat it Bears, you better beat the Packers this weekend. You are coming off the bye. They are coming off a short week and starting Brett Hundley. I am flying down to Texas to spend the following weekend with my sister and her Packer fan fiance.

You must not lose!

The only reason Dom Capers still has a job is that he managed to embarrass Jay Cutler twice per year (3 times in the 2010 season :smug: ). I'm currently hoping that Trubisky scores a million points on Sunday, so we can get rid of Capers.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

fishing with the fam posted:

You must not lose!

the bears are coached by John fox

lol at all the Packers fans despairing after one loss get over yourselves

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Packers 0-3 since Rodgers' injury. Remaining schedule:

@Bears
Ravens
@Steelers
Bucs
@Browns
@Panthers
Vikings
@Lions

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Chris James 2 posted:

Packers 0-3 since Rodgers' injury. Remaining schedule:

@Bears
Ravens
@Steelers
Bucs
@Browns
@Panthers
Vikings
@Lions

L, L, L, Push, Push, L, L, L

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mastershakeman posted:

the bears are coached by John fox

Couple points to remember here: it's been 3 losses in a row since Rodgers went down, and we've been calling for Capers head for a while now.

Hundley is not good either. His first half performance against NO was good enough to make me go "huh, he may actually be a decent bandaid", then somehow in the 2nd he proceeded to poo poo himself and continued it last night.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
he can make the throws, he is just bad at progressions and mccarthy's play calling has been laughable.

TURN HIM LOOSE MIKEY BOI

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

Three losses, and the team has looked putrid in every single one, and, most importantly, the issues we've been criticizing for years in the coaches are front-and-center in every one of these losses. Rodgers isn't back for another five weeks at absolute minimum and even if he comes back (he shouldn't) it's just going to paper over the problems.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I was gonna feel sympathy for Packers fans because I can't imagine how much I'd hate life if Stafford went down but they showed that bullshit Hail Mary again that only happened because Rodgers milked a bullshit facemask call out of the ref, so. gently caress all of you, I hope Fat Mike and Capers get 20-year extensions.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I like the Lions and Bears. Mother fucc 2 the Vikings tho

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I like the Lions and Bears. Mother fucc 2 the Vikings tho

VJeff posted:

gently caress all of you, I hope Fat Mike and Capers get 20-year extensions.

Goondolences over your lost season.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

OxySnake posted:

Goondolences over your lost season.

its almost as if i don't care because this will bring about chahahahaha god damnit

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Five first-rounders and two second-rounders started for the Packers defense last night.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Shangri-Law School posted:

Five first-rounders and two second-rounders started for the Packers defense last night.

The personnel isn't the issue outside of the pass rush.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Dom!

Bring in Colin, Packers. Please. Hundley is bad.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Let's talk about how dumb the Lions offensive playcalling is

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It's really dumb

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Good: throwing the ball
Bad: running the ball

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
what are you talking about they absolutely shredded every cushy zone put in their way last night on 3rd and 6+

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Right? The issue is either coaching or talent evaluation. And considering that all 7 of these players (plus players like Martinez, Burnett, and Daniels who were picked up in later rounds) have had multiple good performances, you have to conclude it's the coaching.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I still don't understand why they ran the ball like 5 straight times at the goal line instead of just making a quick throw.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Right? The issue is either coaching or talent evaluation. And considering that all 7 of these players (plus players like Martinez, Burnett, and Daniels who were picked up in later rounds) have had multiple good performances, you have to conclude it's the coaching.

There is almost no way to not give up 5+ yards when you play 7+ off the receivers with corners and an absurdly deep cover-2 kinda thing with the safeties which they did on most first downs. They're basically in prevent defense the entire game. This obviously creates mismatch issues underneath when they don't rush with linebackers and opens HUGE loving holes in the flat for bubble screens etc when they do bring pressure. The times pressure got home, the hot read was always open for a huge gain because of how deep the safeties were playing. The times they dropped backers in coverage you had poo poo like Blake Martinez on Golden Tate lol

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

what are you talking about they absolutely shredded every cushy zone put in their way last night on 3rd and 6+

The Dom Capers adjustment.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Remember when Matt Stafford ran over some poor loving Titans cornerback last year

that was pretty good

http://www.detroitlions.com/media-center/videos/HIGHLIGHT-Stafford-plows-over-defender-on-the-run/41519011-8eb7-48d4-ba1b-17db3e71acfd

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MikeCrotch posted:

Remember when Matt Stafford ran over some poor loving Titans cornerback last year

that was pretty good

http://www.detroitlions.com/media-center/videos/HIGHLIGHT-Stafford-plows-over-defender-on-the-run/41519011-8eb7-48d4-ba1b-17db3e71acfd

QBs trucking people always brings me joy.

Not as good as Luck that one time back in college, but still good none the less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFbqCrTzdzs

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
I think Green Bay aside from Rodgers is not an especially talented team relative to the league. Maybe the ire should be toward Ted Thompson?

this is from a few days ago so not updated for MNF:

quote:

Here’s a look at Green Bay’s defense during the Dom Capers era:

2009: #2 Defensive DVOA, #4 Pass Defense DVOA, #2 Run Defense DVOA
2010: #2 Defensive DVOA, #1 Pass Defense DVOA, #16 Run Defense DVOA
2011: #25 Defensive DVOA, #24 Pass Defense DVOA, #29 Run Defense DVOA
2012: #8 Defensive DVOA, #7 Pass Defense DVOA, #14 Run Defense DVOA
2013: #31 Defensive DVOA, #28 Pass Defense DVOA, #30 Run Defense DVOA
2014: #16 Defensive DVOA, #11 Pass Defense DVOA, #24 Run Defense DVOA
2015: #9 Defensive DVOA, #6 Pass Defense DVOA, #19 Run Defense DVOA
2016: #20 Defensive DVOA, #23 Pass Defense DVOA, #14 Run Defense DVOA
2017: #19 Defensive DVOA, #18 Pass Defense DVOA, #21 Run Defense DVOA

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

I still don't understand why they ran the ball like 5 straight times at the goal line instead of just making a quick throw.
Cuz Gruden had to be proven correct with his "that last yard is the hardest yard" bullshit.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
There's actually plenty of talent at some positions, but not being able to get a great pass rusher is a serious issue. It's a passing league and having a pass rusher (or even the threat of it) makes everyone in the secondary's job a lot easier. Their corners are routinely asked to cover for a long time. The corners are actually pretty ok in short yardage situations where they're asked to cover 1 on 1 and Damarious Randall has become a fundamentally sound tackler but the soft zones absolutely get shredded.

McCarthy and Capers are just bad planners. Uncreative and can never decide what they want to do with execution besides be Bad.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

There's actually plenty of talent at some positions, but not being able to get a great pass rusher is a serious issue.

Julius Peppers has 7.5 sacks in Carolina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Julius Peppers has 7.5 sacks in Carolina.

a scheme in which he is a substantially better fit for his size and level of athleticism now

• Locked thread