Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

repiv posted:

TPU spotted some KabyLake-G benchmarks. Interestingly the GPU codename is GFX804, which suggests the ISA is closer to Fiji/Polaris (GFX8) than Vega (GFX9).

Has this deal been in the works for so long that Intel forked an early version of Vega? 🤔

This being negotiated before the Ryzen announcement would make a lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Of course this would happen just after I bought this laptop.

But it's okay, it's still a 1060 and an i7 and I only paid $900 because extreme couponing.
I was planning to buy a laptop with what was essentially a GT 1030 before any news of Ryzen Mobile came out

Hopefully they don't gently caress up with putting screens on it

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Personally waiting for 35W Raven Ridge, or at least something with a beefy enough cooling solution. A 2500U is basically Iris Pro 580 or better performance and holy poo poo that's perfect for my use case.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I wonder if this new chip, or something like it, will end up in the Playstation 5. Consoles are aching for more CPU power. It would be mind blowing if it actually ended up in a new Vita.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

dissss posted:

Why do you think switchable graphics is a compromise these days? It's worked completely seamlessly for years now.

When will Microsoft/Nvidia fix the diagonal tearing they introduced with Windows 10?
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/903422/geforce-mobile-gpus/diagonal-screen-tearing-issues-on-gtx-860m-870m-960m-965m-970m-980m-/
It has been like 3 years.
Also G-sync and Optimus do not work together.

One issue has gotten a lot better since 4 years ago though: I have to choose which gpu to use much less often, used to be that every second game wanted to run on iGPU.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 7, 2017

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Maxwell Adams posted:

It would be mind blowing if it actually ended up in a new Vita.

Is anyone asking for that?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Arzachel posted:

This being negotiated before the Ryzen announcement would make a lot of sense.

i guess this is what intel meant by "supporting freesync eventually"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Remember that Titan Collector Edition? It's just a Star Wars branded Titan Xp :bravo:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/star-wars-titan-xp-collectors-edition/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Red vs Green

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Good lord quite the collection of brain geniouses

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Don Lapre posted:

Red vs Green

I wonder which will win!

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Maxwell Adams posted:

I wonder if this new chip, or something like it, will end up in the Playstation 5. Consoles are aching for more CPU power. It would be mind blowing if it actually ended up in a new Vita.

This isn't on the same planet in terms of power draw for something that would be suitable for a handheld.

I wouldn't be surprised at all though to see future console architectures take this approach, on-package HBM that just acts like a huge cache with more regular DDR5 etc as the base memory.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

eames posted:

newer rMBPs

Thats, like, all MBP now. I hope people drop the ‘r’ soon because goddamn every time I feel like I missed a product announcement have to stop and dwell on what that means.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Craptacular! posted:

Thats, like, all MBP now. I hope people drop the ‘r’ soon because goddamn every time I feel like I missed a product announcement have to stop and dwell on what that means.

Can't you still buy 2012 MBPs if you wander into an Apple store with only 1G to spend?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CyberPingu posted:

Yes, and they all bought the Vita 2 aka Switch.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

Yes, and they all bought the Vita 2 aka Switch.

I dont know what to make of this statement...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Sony had plenty of hardware in the Vita. They failed to get more than a few good exclusives on it. (still has some great games otherwise but I digress) Nintendo now has good hardware, but look at the 3DS which has less hardware than the og PSP yet still has a ton of great games.

They needed more exclusives on the Vita like they do on the PS4 which is what Xbox has a problem with but now, has the hardware. Funny that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Sony had plenty of hardware in the Vita. They failed to get more than a few good exclusives on it. (still has some great games otherwise but I digress) Nintendo now has good hardware, but look at the 3DS which has less hardware than the og PSP yet still has a ton of great games.

They needed more exclusives on the Vita like they do on the PS4 which is what Xbox has a problem with but now, has the hardware. Funny that.

Nintendo also used industry standard memory cards and released over the years 6 different revisions of 3DS hardware.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I pretty much used my Vita for PS1 games...

Also yeah, gently caress the Vita's memory card system.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You can use micro SD's in 3g vitas now

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Don Lapre posted:

That's great but they probably should have done that back at launch.

I've probably gotten as much entertainment value out of my DS/3DS/New 3DS XL as I've gotten out of my PC in the same period of time and I still have a list of like 20 games I want to get for those systems and a backlog of like five or six games.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

CyberPingu posted:

Me, I'm asking for that.

Stick a high refresh rate freesync screen on that bad boy, I want to play 120hz Spelunky on the go. Seriously. Create a system where developers know a 120hz display is provided by the platform, I want high framerate 2d games.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Asking here since the SNR tends to be way higher than places like Reddit: does delta compression effectively increase VRAM capacity, i.e. is the data actually stored in memory compressed? I don't see how it could be otherwise - after all GDDR5 is a commodity product so there is no opportunity to bake any special compression algorithms into the chip, correct?

(the internet is still trying to figure out what's going on with those wacky Wolfenstein benchmarks, Guru3D has some analysis in their review. It kinda doesn't appear to be a VRAM problem after all, since 4 GB cards like the RX 570 and GTX 980 seem to outperform the Fury.)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Yep, got the adapter and now have a 128G Vita. Much less issue with space now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Asking here since the SNR tends to be way higher than places like Reddit: does delta compression effectively increase VRAM capacity, i.e. is the data actually stored in memory compressed? I don't see how it could be otherwise - after all GDDR5 is a commodity product so there is no opportunity to bake any special compression algorithms into the chip, correct?

(the internet is still trying to figure out what's going on with those wacky Wolfenstein benchmarks, Guru3D has some analysis in their review. It kinda doesn't appear to be a VRAM problem after all, since 4 GB cards like the RX 570 and GTX 980 seem to outperform the Fury.)

The data is stored in memory compressed, but the compressed blocks are padded to the uncompressed size so you don't gain any effective capacity.

Densely packing the compressed blocks would be a pain in the rear end since textures are mutable (the compression ratio of each block can change whenever) and there wouldn't be a trivial mapping from pixel coordinates to a memory address anymore.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CyberPingu posted:

I dont know what to make of this statement...

There's demand for high power gaming handhelds with console-tier games.Nintendo grabbed that market.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

There's demand for high power gaming handhelds with console-tier games.Nintendo grabbed that market.

The difference was and always has been that nintendo gave a poo poo about its handhelds and produced AAA content for them

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

eames posted:

The fact that newer rMBPs no longer use a iGPUs at all leads me to believe that switching never really worked.

Isn't that more to do with their little spat with Nvidia than anything else?

While Optimus on Windows may not be completely perfect I've never run into a single issue on my (admittedly dated) system with an 850M.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

god this is dumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MXjvf_pjcI

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

The data is stored in memory compressed, but the compressed blocks are padded to the uncompressed size so you don't gain any effective capacity.

Densely packing the compressed blocks would be a pain in the rear end since textures are mutable (the compression ratio of each block can change whenever) and there wouldn't be a trivial mapping from pixel coordinates to a memory address anymore.

How big is a block then?

That actually makes it more impressive in a way, since again the RAM has no concept of this compression, so it's not like you can have the chip just move on to a new request once it hits padding. A bigger block size potentially gets you a better compression ratio (since you can quit receiving words more quickly) but then you're also working with larger chunks so random access is less efficient.

I guess the saving grace here is that graphics workloads aren't really doing a lot of random access...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 7, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

How big is a block then?

I don't think NV or AMD have gone into detail on their implementations :shrug:

This slide implies Pascal uses 8x8 blocks but they might have different modes for different pixel formats or whatever.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Raja Koduri, Radeon Technologies Boss, leaves AMD

:rip:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

:toot: Now maybe we can get some actual competition in the GPU scene as well!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

top 10 saddest anime deaths

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SHOULD 👏 HAVE 👏 KEPT 👏 BIG 👏 POLARIS

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Should have die-shrunk Hawaii...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Really wonder what's happened there, tbh. Raja was at amd until around 2009, that's when radeon was kicking nvidia's butt in pretty much every aspect. He left, gpus went bad, and now was back and gpus went even worse :v:

really it probably just shows these leadership types don't do poo poo unless they work real hard, he could've just had a brilliant team in 2008 and didn't do anything, and now he had a poo poo team so the same approach didn't work

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Called it.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

SHOULD 👏 HAVE 👏 KEPT 👏 BIG 👏 POLARIS

Zero VGS posted:

Should have die-shrunk Hawaii...

Probably would have made sense to basically shrink Pitcairn, Tonga and Hawaii + GCN4 features for a line up. Polaris 11 turned out too weak, and I don't think a 36CU and 44CU dies would have been a wise investment. 20CU, 32CU and 44CU would have been fine, as well as 24CU, 36CU and 48CU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I hope he went straight to work with Nvdia.