Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I still like SAM enough to keep trying to get the SAM/MNK gear from Rabanastre.

It's a big numbers class that I buckled down and really got into like with PLD. Big Midare's are fun, throwing out tons of Shinten's is fun, using Meikyou to throw out tons of AoE is fun...

I am still ready for whenever someone gets salty about not getting a goad from me though.

'You think you have TP problems? Look at my TP. I have been running on fumes for the past minute and you haven't even hit half tank. And my Invig's on cooldown. Your TP problems are NOTHING next to mine. Cornholio froths in rage for my lack of TP!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

I still like SAM enough to keep trying to get the SAM/MNK gear from Rabanastre.

It's a big numbers class that I buckled down and really got into like with PLD. Big Midare's are fun, throwing out tons of Shinten's is fun, using Meikyou to throw out tons of AoE is fun...

I am still ready for whenever someone gets salty about not getting a goad from me though.

'You think you have TP problems? Look at my TP. I have been running on fumes for the past minute and you haven't even hit half tank. And my Invig's on cooldown. Your TP problems are NOTHING next to mine. Cornholio froths in rage for my lack of TP!'

If they aren't bottoming out it's because they are playing conservative because their lovely melee dps can't be arsed to goad. They don't have a solution for your tp problems, you do have a solution for theirs. Just hit the button. poo poo will die faster because they can spam AOE and chain pull without having to await regen. I bottom out all the time on NIN and I'll still goad a pld because what the gently caress else am I going to do with all those tp free missed GCD's? Sit there and whine at the tank about how easy they have it on tp doesn't seem like the ideal use of my efforts.

But you do you.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I've unlocked the Heavensward 24-man content and it feels like Dun Scaith is just a huge step up from the other two in terms of difficulty. Mostly just Scathach and Diabolos Hollow, but both of them have a shitload of simultaneous mechanics and things to heal through, when the last boss of Weeping City was basically "don't stand by the hair". (Ozma was kind of a dick, though)

Is that just gear syncing shenanigans, or was it that way when it was current?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

LordHippoman posted:

I've unlocked the Heavensward 24-man content and it feels like Dun Scaith is just a huge step up from the other two in terms of difficulty. Mostly just Scathach and Diabolos Hollow, but both of them have a shitload of simultaneous mechanics and things to heal through, when the last boss of Weeping City was basically "don't stand by the hair". (Ozma was kind of a dick, though)

Is that just gear syncing shenanigans, or was it that way when it was current?

Gear syncing shenanigans. Min ilv void ark is still the easiest 24man, but Weeping City was the only 24man that I've seen DF legitimately run the entire lockout out of on day 1.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mister Olympus posted:

Gear syncing shenanigans. Min ilv void ark is still the easiest 24man, but Weeping City was the only 24man that I've seen DF legitimately run the entire lockout out of on day 1.

Forgall and Ozma can still cause wipes if you get enough newbies in your alliance but they were pretty brutal in the first month or two of patch 3.3 when those newbies died much more easily.

The Rabanastre raid also has some pretty rough spots right now where bads will get everyone killed and my week one clear had 3 minutes left on the clock when the last boss died. But it'll get a lot smoother after 4.2 when everybody's ilvl jumps and it's easier to keep people alive.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Diabolos Hallow has always hit stupid loving hard. The mechanics are actually pretty trivial, but people loving suck at executing basic things.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Anyone who doesn't believe in using Goad in dungeons should tank on a Warrior for a few dungeons. You'll be on team Goad real quick.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I would love to push my Goad button more. Please give me a moderately depleted TP bar to fix!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I love tanking alliance rouette nowadays. Never touching tank stance and still stealing threat from the other two jerks.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Brainamp posted:

I love tanking alliance rouette nowadays. Never touching tank stance and still stealing threat from the other two jerks.

The first (and sometimes only) thing I run daily is alliance roulette. It's really chill and the rewards are great.

It's also a good time for macro spamming. Uh oh, someone forgot to stand on pads! :sloppy:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rhymenoserous posted:

If they aren't bottoming out it's because they are playing conservative because their lovely melee dps can't be arsed to goad. They don't have a solution for your tp problems, you do have a solution for theirs. Just hit the button. poo poo will die faster because they can spam AOE and chain pull without having to await regen. I bottom out all the time on NIN and I'll still goad a pld because what the gently caress else am I going to do with all those tp free missed GCD's? Sit there and whine at the tank about how easy they have it on tp doesn't seem like the ideal use of my efforts.

But you do you.

SAM runs out of TP faster than everyone when AoEing bar none. Me Goading the tank just means that I'm going to have to single target the next pull more because I'm still out of TP from the last chain pull. When I say running on fumes I mean I'm single targeting stuff because with less than 200 TP it's more damage output than waiting for TP to regen between AoE hits. And sometimes I run myself down so much I have to wait for TP regen for my single target rotation.

This is with using Invigorate on CD.

Even a War spamming overpower doesn't run out of TP as fast as a SAM properly AoEing does. Especially since if they're spamming overpower they're not doing Storms Eye combo to get the buff or generating Beast Gauge to do their other cool things like Decimate/Steel Cyclone etc.

So really the problem is the other DPS being bad and not AoEing properly/not goading me (if I get a goad I slot goad and start using it.)

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

What...

You can have Goad and invigorate, the odds of you having double melee in a dungeon are pretty drat low. BRD/MCH have Tactician, but no one else is able to give you TP

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Spire me

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

quote:

(if I get a goad I slot goad and start using it.)

Ah, the pugilist's dilemma. Sure hope nobody else out there thinks like you. :thunk: What are you slotting instead of Goad in dungeons anyway?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I never use goad in dungeons, but only because I'm a bad player and always forget I have it, not out of any kind of principle

I think that makes me better

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ainsley McTree posted:

I never use goad in dungeons, but only because I'm a bad player and always forget I have it, not out of any kind of principle

I think that makes me better

You and many other players. I don't think I've ever received a Goad even if I needed it

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's okay to not pay attention to role actions in dungeons

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

To be fair, I usually play RDM, where I'm able to regularly spare the brainpower required to remember that I have mana shift, which I do use

When i switch to a melee, i tend to get flustered and forget about anything that's not part of my dps rotation or that aids me directly

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

vOv posted:

Ah, the pugilist's dilemma. Sure hope nobody else out there thinks like you. :thunk: What are you slotting instead of Goad in dungeons anyway?

Leg sweep.

Also it's inane how many BRD/MCH's don't use Tactician until they're out of TP instead of when they're at half-tank (and I've been running on fumes for a bit.)

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
why in the name of gently caress would you slot leg sweep, especially over goad, with the obvious exception of your self-admitted ‘taking my ball and going home’ tantrum?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it’s difficult to precisely quantify about how much party dps you’re costing by refusing To Goad First, but i bet it’s somewhere between ‘a whole lot’ and ‘i bet you got picked on in middle school’

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Aurora posted:

it's okay to not pay attention to role actions in dungeons

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If you want be bad don't Goad, what do I care.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that’s possibly true if someone is a hosed up idiot who derives sexual gratification from wasting the time of strangers, but I think as a whole the ffxiv community could do with more pushing towards the ‘please at least try to play the game right’ position

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

it’s difficult to precisely quantify about how much party dps you’re costing by refusing To Goad First, but i bet it’s somewhere between ‘a whole lot’ and ‘i bet you got picked on in middle school’
The last time I was in a party where I could even get a goad, it was a DRG in Skalla that was pretty cool. He goaded me, I goaded him, everything died without either of us running on fumes. It was nice.
He almost died to a plain pound though. That's why I slot Leg Sweep: an oGCD stun is way better at not dying to the last AoE that'll kill you than resisting knockback/draw in and reducing one mob's physical damage by 15%.

I haven't had another SAM buddy DPS since I was leveling in Bardams months ago. That's pretty much the only scenario I think to goad first (because I know their TP pain.)

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Or we could be chill dudes just hanging out in the dungeon pushing buttons and having a good time. Being unchill in 4 man dungeons seems like a real waste of energy.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
like 80 percent of the tank population uses tp to aoe and i bet that is much more meaningful than stopping a plain pound the one in a hundred times there is an interruptible ability that actually has any bearing at all in a dungeon

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I like the helpful role actions like Goad and Mana Shift and Apocatastasis. They're fun to toss out, but I sometimes forget when I get super focused on gettin' the deeps.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
*takes rampart off hotbars*

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Velthice posted:

*takes rampart off hotbars*

rip your only pre-30 defensive cooldown

slev
Apr 6, 2009

i exclusively goad red mages after they melee

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

slev posted:

Spire me

This but unironically

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The way the game tries to match you in dungeons is that it will try to stick one physical DPS with one magical DPS. 9/10 times, the other is some kind of caster, who wouldn't be able to goad your TP-less SAM even if you asked nicely, with please and thank you, in the most non-offensive way possible.

And if the tank isn't a warrior, that goad you've got slotted is going to waste as well, because DRK and PLD are going to run out of MP long before they run out of TP.

So if you're slotting Goad as a melee, it's basically a dead slot unless you get either 1) A warrior tank, or 2) the magical combination of double-melee, 3) a BRD/MCH that doesn't sit there with their thumb up their asses.

And in the end that still doesn't solve the problem of "other people either don't have or are too :effort: to do anything other than push a macro while you're running your AoEing SAM rear end's TP bar dry.

source: levelled SAM.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 8, 2017

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

I don't goad in dungos because i annihilate the trash single-handedly before you run out of TP.

EZ.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

like 80 percent of the tank population uses tp to aoe and i bet that is much more meaningful than stopping a plain pound the one in a hundred times there is an interruptible ability that actually has any bearing at all in a dungeon

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And if the tank isn't a warrior, that goad you've got slotted is going to waste as well, because DRK and PLD are going to run out of MP long before they run out of TP.

100% of the time when I have goaded a War/Pld, they kept pulling and my DPS sucked because I couldn't AoE because I'm out of TP with Invig still having 80+ seconds left on CD.
Then they'd run out of TP halfway through that second pull with most of the mobs still being alive.
Then Invig would pop off CD and I'd get another Tenka Gokken in (480 tp) before going right back to where I started.

Then we'd eventually kill the rest of those mobs relying on the other DPS and some stuff from the Healer and it would take way longer than if I didn't Goad in the first place so that the tank stopped and waited for their TP (and by extension, mine.)

SAM's love Goad and Spire more than anyone else.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I haven't touched my buttons since leveling up, but I haven't used Leg Sweep at all on my MNK in probably 3 or 4 months at this point.

This discussion is making me swap it out for Goad.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
so I realized I could fit Wind-up Suns/Moons inside of me

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Phone posted:

I haven't touched my buttons since leveling up, but I haven't used Leg Sweep at all on my MNK in probably 3 or 4 months at this point.

This discussion is making me swap it out for Goad.
leg sweep is just bad for MNK in general because you already have several stuns

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

homeless snail posted:

leg sweep is just bad for MNK in general because you already have several stuns

Only one now, unless you mean (lol) wind tackle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Brainamp posted:

Only one now, unless you mean (lol) wind tackle.

One Ilm Punch technically exists and is a stun.