Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
We'll always have Beavis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The reason Steppenwolf's face looks so bad is because the industry-standard facial motion capture solution is currently tied up in a legal battle over stolen technology. Scanline VFX tried as best they could to replicate its features for Justice League, but obviously failed.

The case over the MOVA facial capture is actually really interesting:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/hollywood-confronts-a-copyright-argument-potential-mass-disruption-1049516

""[A]n end-user's role in creating a matrix is marginal. Creating a matrix is unlike the creative process used in many computer art programs, which permit an end-user to create an original work of art in an electronic medium. It is fair to say that users of such programs often supply the lion's share of the creativity to create the screen display."

""The MOVA Contour system takes two-dimensional camera captures as input, and the program then synthesizes them into three-dimensional outputs with subtlety and artistry, based on creative choices made by its programmers and embodied in its copyrighted software instructions," "

"Rearden is saying that the film director is limited by artistic choices already made by the programmer — and what actually is produced comes through the engine of technology."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ungulateman posted:

The communion scene clarifies exactly what's coming, but the theatrical version cuts directly from Lex saying 'ding ding ding ding' to the 'angels and demons' portrait from earlier - except it's upside down, so the demons are coming from above.

Reminder that a major complaint about BVS was "bad editing".

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Steppenwolf looks kinda neat I guess, in a video game boss kind of way.

He looks like a dark souls cosplayer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Reminder that a major complaint about BVS was "bad editing".

Up until Batman fights Superman, the editing was horrible. Almost aimless in how it was structured. Nothing flowed it just happened.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Up until Batman fights Superman, the editing was horrible. Almost aimless in how it was structured. Nothing flowed it just happened.

Example?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I defend the films, but the editing feels abrupt. Scenes end and all of a sudden we're somewhere else without any kind of establishing shots. I liked the theatrical cut well enough, but since Ultimate came out I haven't seen it since the theater so I can't give specific examples. But at the time I remember thinking it jumped around a lot and didn't quite flow together.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The "establishing shot" complaint is totally nonsensical. This isn't Full House!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Davros1 posted:

Cesar Romero as the Joker
That’s why his portrayal of the Joker is the most insane version.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Whats the over/under on the final rottentomatoes score? I'll take the under on 30%.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mr. Apollo posted:

That’s why his portrayal of the Joker is the most insane version.

There's one ep of 60's Batman where the Joker becomes a celebrated artist, and begins working as an instructor to Gotham's elite. At one point, one his students cheerfully asks what they're going to be doing next, and he looks at her and says "Oh, I'm going to ransom you all."

It was seriously chilling.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

an adult beverage posted:

Whats the over/under on the final rottentomatoes score? I'll take the under on 30%.

I predict it will end up between 30 and 50 percent.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Davros1 posted:

There's one ep of 60's Batman where the Joker becomes a celebrated artist, and begins working as an instructor to Gotham's elite. At one point, one his students cheerfully asks what they're going to be doing next, and he looks at her and says "Oh, I'm going to ransom you all."

The 60s Joker had a lot of quirks that I think informed later versions of him, like being near-supernaturally lucky, and an earnest enthusiasm for art and creativity in his own sociopathic way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The "establishing shot" complaint is totally nonsensical. This isn't Full House!

It's important to know where characters are. It helps flesh out a story.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

Christ it’s not hard

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I personally really like the editing in beavis and have zero interest in watching the ultimate cut, as the editing reflects the nightmarish breakdown batman is experiencing throughout the movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

In which scenes did you not know where the characters were?

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 8, 2017

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I personally really like the editing in beavis and have zero interest in watching the ultimate cut, as the editing reflects the nightmarish breakdown batman is experiencing throughout the movie.

But I don't watch comic book movies to vicariously experience the psychological anguish of its heroes.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Habibi posted:

But I don't watch comic book movies to vicariously experience the psychological anguish of its heroes.

You may not consciously desire that, but it would be remiss of you to ignore that the alienation and anguish of superheroes is a convention of the genre. There's no lack of psychological anguish in, say, X-Men, Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America, even Iron Man and Doctor Strange. With Batman in particular, the idea of him being tortured and obsessive is an irrevocable component of what makes him compelling. Beavis just finds new and visually nuanced ways of depicting this, and rather than just making it a 'trait' of the character, foregrounds it as the central conflict of the story. Bruce's pathology isn't just this one aspect that, like, potentially stands in the way of resolving 'the real problem.' It is the problem. Which is to say, Beavis commits the sin of crafting a story in which character comes first.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I'd like this for every scene change in a Marvel movie.

"WAKANDA!"
"STEVE'S BATHROOM!"
"AUNT MAY'S DRAWER CHEST!"
"INSIDE OF BLACK WIDOW'S PURSE!"

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I'll take my character adversity via story arc and plotting, not by way of jarring firsthand sensory experience.

quote:

Which is to say, Beavis commits the sin of crafting a story in which character comes first.

It committed some sins alright.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Habibi posted:

I'll take my character adversity via story arc and plotting, not by way of jarring firsthand sensory experience.

Have you considered reading books?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Habibi posted:

I have good news, then: Beavis has both.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
When supeemans was in the bathtub with lady I did not no where he was. was he in a private jet flying over the bermuda triangel?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

UmOk posted:

When supeemans was in the bathtub with lady I did not no where he was. was he in a private jet flying over the bermuda triangel?

superman is dead

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I love that scene with him and Lois in the apt. :3:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

MacheteZombie posted:

It's really great

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

The "establishing shot" rule is not dogmatic.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol. How do you know he was in an apartment? No establishing shot

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
how did superman get to the top of that mountain?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

UmOk posted:

Epistemiologically, do we even know what a character, or set, is?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SleepCousinDeath posted:

how did superman get to the top of that mountain?

More importantly, which mountain was it?

UmOk posted:

I never know when you're messing with me :ohdear: please establish if you're kidding or not in the future.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Epistemiologically, do we even know what a character, or set, is?

We would know what they if they would establish them in some way. Perhaps with a shot?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

More importantly, which mountain was it?

I never know when you're messing with me :ohdear: please establish if you're kidding or not in the future.

My E-sarcasm is as bad as my spoken sarcasm.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I am actually gonna come to CelticPredator's defense a bit. I found the theatrical version of BvS is jarring, but I think he's misdiagnosed the cause. It's because there are many disparate plot threads and the movie cuts between them without showing the obvious relations. So you have things like (and I'm doing this from memory, so please forgive inaccuracies) Clark Kent stepping out of the frame to investigate Batman, and then a cut to Lois barging into a bathroom to talk about a bullet with a general. And other than the thematic theme of "investigation" they don't seem very married to each other narrative-wise, they don't flow smoothly, the jointing is rough. This would be ok except IIRC the individual scenes are extremely short, so it's this sort of staccato rhythm of jumps between scenes with no obvious connection. So it gets that sort of dream-like quality of jumping to different places and times without really interacting with each other, which I found jarring.

Now in the Ultimate/Director's Cut, the scenes are given more time to breath, and the individual threads have more elements, so the rhythm gets much more relaxed and the scenes live and become more comprehensible and the plot connections more explicit while at the same time losing that dream quality. The movie becomes much more conventional. I can see why some people wouldn't like that, but I did.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Lol at this guy getting scared by 60s batman villains

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Is this the ironic contrarian BvS/Suicide Squad was achktually good thread? BvS is dogshit, and SS was one of the worst major studio releases of the last decade.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Suicide Sqwad rules so hard. I like it better than beavis, which is also extremely good. Sincerely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

an adult beverage posted:

Is this the ironic contrarian BvS/Suicide Squad was achktually good thread? BvS is dogshit, and SS was one of the worst major studio releases of the last decade.

Suicide Squad won an Oscar.