Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/mmanning012/status/928274508255055873

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Bertieschip/status/927996027298369537

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Also what's xi'an for "where's the 3.0, crobber?"

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016

alphabettitouretti posted:

youtube.com/watch?v=Igb9IkVOiAE

$164m well spent. 3.0 is surely just days away from release.

crobber ya game all hosed up. Although if your goal was to make a sequel to octodad, good job I guess.

There are a bunch of people who know something about making video games here - can someone explain how the gently caress this happens? How does a player model get all spaghettified?

Is it because Star Citizen has physics so real that you actually go through spaghettification? They must have put a black hole near the space station, so its a feature, not a bug.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

beep_boop posted:

There are a bunch of people who know something about making video games here - can someone explain how the gently caress this happens? How does a player model get all spaghettified?

Is it because Star Citizen has physics so real that you actually go through spaghettification? They must have put a black hole near the space station, so its a feature, not a bug.

Probably something dumb like the transforms on the bones in the rig are messed up, so the mesh thats skinned to the character rig has to interpolate best it can, which leaves the mesh stretched out and distorted like you see.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Combat Theory posted:

You know how breaking bad would have ended in Europe? With the dude getting his bloody cancer treatment in episode 2

Walter White was a public school teacher; he's got a state health plan. But that wouldn't make a very good show.

I doubt there is a single work of fiction that doesn't have a pedantic response to resolve the main story conflict.

Also, endless crunch time is illegal in the US, its just not enforced because people are dumb enough to put up with it.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 8, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
if Eve offered Adam a hot dog instead of an goddam apple I feel that mankind would be a lot more chill in general

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

peter gabriel posted:

if Eve offered Adam a hot dog instead of an goddam apple I feel that mankind would be a lot more chill in general

Adam gave Eve his hot dog and this is why we can't have nice things.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-Cloud-Imperium-Games-RVW17730194.htm

quote:

Pros
* However this project and business turn out I'm happy I got to work on this once in a lifetime project that has really pushed boundaries in many areas of software development, games development, networking, and computer science.
* Despite a lot of my ex-colleagues being younger, newer in the industry and sometimes inexperienced / naïve, they really worked incredibly hard and with huge amounts of enthusiasm, sometimes to the detriment of their own wellbeing and personal lives.
* The offices and infrastructure are great with absolutely no expense spared in allowing us to get our jobs done.
* Despite some of my criticisms below I would definitely do it all over again but I would also get out earlier.

Cons
* A lot of the management have little to no idea what they are doing, use software development methodologies from the last century and are frankly out of their depth. This causes an exponentially increasing spiral of delays that a modern experienced project manager would see coming from a mile away and know how to deal with. The project is getting ever further away from completion despite what public statements to the contrary say. These managers may have been the best of the best back in their day, but it is no longer that day and people rarely have consistent hits their entire career.
* This issue is compounded by the fact that CIG pays below industry average salaries, because they correctly think many people will want the prestige of having worked on such an exciting project to be on their CV, however you also don't get the best talent this way.
* Both the salary and management issues have caused a lot of more experienced staff who were really making the most progress to leave. A lot of the people left are fairly wet behind the ears and need a lot more mentoring before stepping up to the plate. I spent over half my time mentoring other members of staff even in areas I only have a vague passing knowledge of.
* Collectively we ended up grinding harder and harder, losing increasingly more of our lives, over smaller and smaller irrelevant things that the CEO dreamed up. This has been getting worse recently not better, especially with recent technologies added to the game that should have been implemented at the end, not now.

Advice to Management
Hire experienced executives and professional project managers with current decade skills and qualifications - Not family members, friends or old contacts.

Keep on doing what you're doing.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Well now that sounds like Ben's been told not to do any more interviews, and they've softened how they've told him this with a bit of a line of 'oh we don't want employees doing recurring shows'

Ben IS the only employee doing recurring shows

So what did he say that's had them stop him doing interviews?

If anyone has the time to have a flick through the last Ben interview Batgirl did I'll transcribe it when I get a chunk of downtime.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Holy poo poo that Glassdoor.

The vacancy for the backend networking tech also had the requirement of 'mentoring others', because after 6 years you totally expect to have to bring in external expertise.

I expect (hope) more glassdoors to appear soon because rumours of more leavers abound. That's why I've been checking the job listings.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Lladre posted:

Yeah but God gave her the snake

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

:laffo:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Obviously TheAgent posted this to make his leaks sound more credible. Glassdoor more like FUDdoor!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lladre posted:

boiled onions

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

AP posted:

Easing :lesnick: out the door is my guess, also it's been obvious for a while he has not a clue what's going on as they don't really involve him anymore.

Batgirl just confirmed by tweeting that btw that Ben is an employee, as in he's on the payroll.

A few folks might know the significance of this.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

LIES! STOP SPREADING LIES! WHY DO U WANT TO DESTROY THE GAME?

YOU loving GOONS ARE JUST SORE LOSERS CAUSE CIG WONT MAKE EVE ONLINE 2.

YOU ALL JUST MUST DIED.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

On a more rational note

Imo all the reviews in the world wont stop people from supporting or working for CIG. Even if they would slaughter baby kittens on that dirty concrete counter and use the blood to draw concept art.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones posted:

Batgirl just confirmed by tweeting that btw that Ben is an employee, as in he's on the payroll.

A few folks might know the significance of this.

She didn't really, I assume she just repeated the excuse :lesnick: gave her. Either he was told that or not, :lesnick: has said a load of stuff over the years that turned out to be 100% wrong. I assume they are still paying him in some form but I don't see how his exact employment status matters, I doubt very much he's going to want to rock the boat.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

At this point I'm just shocked every time one of these glassdoor reviews doesn't have a paragraph dedicated to how great the VP of Marketing is at acting and doing other things good too.

quote:

I worked at Cloud Imperium Games full-time

Pros
Good benefits, cool tech, free snacks, neat people to work with

Cons
Lack of communication, unprofessionalism, lack of work/life balance. Not a lot of upward mobility. Drama.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 8, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

AP posted:

She didn't really, I assume she just repeated the excuse :lesnick: gave her. Either he was told that or not, :lesnick: has said a load of stuff over the years that turned out to be 100% wrong. I assume they are still paying him in some form but I don't see how his exact employment status matters, I doubt very much he's going to want to rock the boat.

True enough, there's plenty of reason to believe that this is just another piece of bullshit from Ben.

I wonder will Batgirl do a little digging herself as to why Ben isn't coming back. Ben's basically dropped her like a wet poo poo.

e: that's like 80% of her content gone right there. And like all of these SC streamers for reasons that I cannot understand but endlessly hypothesize about she has no passion for other games whatsoever, as she demonstrated with her XPlane videos

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 8, 2017

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

https://nezakhan.deviantart.com/gallery/

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Oh, so its just like the Odyssey?
more like this

http://store.steampowered.com/app/284050/Sanitarium/

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

SomethingJones posted:

True enough, there's plenty of reason to believe that this is just another piece of bullshit from Ben.

I wonder will Batgirl do a little digging herself as to why Ben isn't coming back. Ben's basically dropped her like a wet poo poo.

e: that's like 80% of her content gone right there. And like all of these SC streamers for reasons that I cannot understand but endlessly hypothesize about she has no passion for other games whatsoever, as she demonstrated with her XPlane videos

Since Sept 10th, all but one of Batgirl's twitch streams have been her playing Elite Dangerous: https://go.twitch.tv/starcitizenaa/videos/all

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

It really will.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Quavers posted:

Since Sept 10th, all but one of Batgirl's twitch streams have been her playing Elite Dangerous: https://go.twitch.tv/starcitizenaa/videos/all

gently caress!

I'm well surprised by that. Is that why Ben's given her the finger (so to speak)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Quavers posted:

Good, she seems like a cool person and deserves a better game to enjoy

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Good game, very creepy graphics to a 14-year old me.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Quavers posted:

https://go.twitch.tv/videos/188522103
@ 1:30

"[my twitch name] is STARCITIZENAA, because you know I was dedicating my life to that drat game. Now I'm gonna be playing SOUTH PARK or DESTINY 2. Forget it, I'm gonna start a new show, it's gonna be called DS DAY."

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Batgirl, please come post.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Also what's xi'an for "where's the 3.0, crobber?"

Xi'an use base 2.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

SomethingJones posted:

https://go.twitch.tv/videos/188522103
@ 1:30

"[my twitch name] is STARCITIZENAA, because you know I was dedicating my life to that drat game. Now I'm gonna be playing SOUTH PARK or DESTINY 2. Forget it, I'm gonna start a new show, it's gonna be called DS DAY."
:ms:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

"For the prettiest one"

"Despite a lot of my ex-colleagues being younger, newer in the industry and sometimes inexperienced / naïve, they really worked incredibly hard and with huge amounts of enthusiasm, sometimes to the detriment of their own wellbeing and personal lives."

There's always suckers leaving college. I wonder if they're giving finders fees.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Hav posted:

Xi'an use base 2.

Hence why their ship went from 2 seats to 1 seat & the excuse was nothing got removed.

2 in base 2 is 10. 10-0=1.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JoshVanZuylen/status/889189890306519040

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EqMbxSVi8E

https://twitter.com/JoshVanZuylen/status/924032908142235648

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hav posted:

Xi'an use base 2.

This isn't real, right?

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Where am I going to get my Wing Commander news and trivia from now?

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

boiled onions

and thou shalt not partake of hot dog buns especially on a Friday.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dude got a job working on Sonic the Hedgehog 2? I'm impressed, that couldn't have been easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

D_Smart posted:

Gee, maybe it's because it's all made up bullshit?

:words:

As long as TheAgent keeps tossing out entertaining posts I’ll read them over dumpster fires like this any day.

Can’t wait for the book.