Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Southern Heel posted:

Sorry, without a frame of reference I didn't realise that was the rolls-royce of modulars though obviously expensive. I guess the thing that really stuck out to me was how this wasn't JUST knob fiddling ring modulated bleeps - there were definite harmonies and melodies. The fact he could bring in and out voices and had an idea of where it was going was just icing on the cake. If to match the base functionality (if not the specific gear) is going to be thousands, rather than hundreds - then maybe I truly am better off getting smaller bits and connecting them together. Would it just be a case of getting as you say, a couple of midi synths and drum machines, linking them together and just seeing what's up? Or do I need to bear other more specific things in mind like compatibility?

You could cut corners like instead of buying the $1500 oscillators you could buy the ones that are "only" $250 each but you're going to spend hundreds to get a single voice not including any sequencing, case/power, etc.

I agree Colin is in a class of his own when it comes to modular compositions. Easily the most *musical* modular stuff I've seen.

Getting a variety of gear and linking it all up is kind of the way it works if you want hardware (disclaimer: way cheaper to do this all inside your computer with a midi controller). Two random examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEIAxDTBZfs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NP8oBouNlk

Bolange fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Has anyone tried the Roland SD-50? Since it's been discontinued and people are putting it online with prices dropping, I was wondering if it's actually worth getting since it's possibly one of the last Sound Canvas any of the major companies will put on the market and it's still GM/GS compatible. The new synth pads also sound pretty great and for a guy who only messes around with a Juno once in a full moon, I would rather use something ready to go. Worth the purchase or should I wait?

I don't deal with production. I'm computer-based and I just want to do couple tracks and make tunes as a hobby. One day, I'll be synth-crazy, but not until I move someplace with more space.

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you're hitting a note on your midi controller that is being sent to a software synthesizer or a sampler or whatever, and the sound starts playing half a second later, that's audio latency, a problem which needs an audio interface to solve. A midi to usb adapter will do nothing to solve that. I'm re-iterating this because I'm still not convinced that's not the problem you're actually trying to solve. I'd be really sad if you were betting on this move to din and came out of it concluding that maybe your computer is to slow for either type of connection without realizing that the magic is in the audio driver as far as instant computer generated sound (or live preview of effects on input sound) goes even if there's a midi trigger involved.

If it really isn't and couldn't be your problem, fair enough.

Laserjet 4P posted:

Seconding this.

Uncle Kitchener: Keep in mind that an audio interface is not like buying a faster nVidia card or something though. All the magic is in the fact that instead of having to punch through half a dozen software layers, APIs and whatnot, the OS gets lowlevel direct access to the sound hardware. How many tracks of Serum you can run still depends on your CPU and it helps to follow the stuff in https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209571729-Windows-Tuning-Tips-for-Audio-Processing

Thanks for posting these. I've found that it's actually my CPU not managing to keep up any more. I'm working on a separate PC rig to up my processing speed for the future, but until then, I'm kinda stuck with the delay, unfortunately. I'll update the drivers, but I don't know how much it'll actually help.

Still, thanks a lot for the help so far.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

I highly recommend you look at some free software options to figure out what you actually want. VCV Rack is a virtual eurorack system with clones of some of the more famous modules, and the trial version FL Studio will let you do MIDI sequencing. Pretty much every recognizable classic synthesizer has at least one decent free VST clone (Synth1, dexed, TAL U-NO, AL BassLine, FB-3100, ...).

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Learn pureData

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I see them all connected, but I'm not clear how chaining multiple bits of kit together really works. I gather a kind of midi-hub? I do appreciate that on a PC it'd be easier, but I want to get 100% away from the PC if possible, and I'm not against ambient-jam type scenarios but I don't want that to be a focus given the fact I've never done it before and don't know if it'll hold water.

So Math posted:

I highly recommend you look at some free software options to figure out what you actually want. VCV Rack is a virtual eurorack system with clones of some of the more famous modules, and the trial version FL Studio will let you do MIDI sequencing. Pretty much every recognizable classic synthesizer has at least one decent free VST clone (Synth1, dexed, TAL U-NO, AL BassLine, FB-3100, ...).

I've done a few tracks in FL Studio, this is broadly speaking the kind of thing I'm after: https://soundcloud.com/williamayerst/mr2-1985 but in hardware form - a combination of live looping and knob twiddling.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

Sorry, without a frame of reference I didn't realise that was the rolls-royce of modulars though obviously expensive.
I missed the 45K number but I guess someone did the math on Modulargrid. Anyway, the $1500 oscillators are A Thing, Macbeth stuff is steep. Same with Cwejman. Doepfer is cheap, DIY Mutable can be cheap, secondhand buying is a good idea. Oscillator quality is tracking properly over a large range and being correctly calibrated, the rest is character and up for personal preference.

quote:

I guess the thing that really stuck out to me was how this wasn't JUST knob fiddling ring modulated bleeps - there were definite harmonies and melodies. The fact he could bring in and out voices and had an idea of where it was going was just icing on the cake. If to match the base functionality (if not the specific gear) is going to be thousands, rather than hundreds - then maybe I truly am better off getting smaller bits and connecting them together.
It’s not all robots doing the nasty: https://vimeo.com/lyo

The question is: how much do you want to do in realtime and simultaneously? You already said lead, bass, drums. You could do worse than the setup I suggested already, instead of a Microbrute a Mother 32 would also work. What modular does in that regard is that sounds can be infinitely more complex, but in the Colin Benders video he’s not even doing that.

Rhythms can be a matter of having a single oscillator getting modulated by various sources simultaneously, like using a step sequencer to control oscillator FM amounts or so. These are things you can explore already in plugins like Massive, Spire and Absynth if you want examples (especially Absynth has textbook examples of this). It’s not a traditional way to make drums, and most hardwired synths are ill-equipped for that unless you have something like a DSI Pro-2 or Analog Four which is a modulation monster.

A more traditional way to make drum sounds is to have small combinations of say, one osc, an AD envelope for the kick, or a noise source plus LFO and envelope for claps etc. In software, compare with Microtonic or ephonic Drumatic. Even more traditional is getting modules that contain an 808 or 909 sound.

quote:

Would it just be a case of getting as you say, a couple of midi synths and drum machines, linking them together and just seeing what's up? Or do I need to bear other more specific things in mind like compatibility? I've just about got my head around how I can sequence pitch/etc. in modular but haven't got the foggiest how I'd do it with something like the beatstep pro. I guess a JDXi and a midi host to connect my full-size keyboard might just be a better idea overall?

MIDI is pretty universal and more devices are doing both MIDI and CV like a Squarp Pyramid. You choose one thing that is the brain/centerpiece of your setup. It may include a sound source itself - Electribe, MPC, etc. or not. In modularland you can use a converter to let MIDI-only sequencers also talk CV/gate - it’s almost a requirement if you want to be able to play a modular like a monosynth because not all controllers do CV too.

I don’t know off the top of my head how many tracks a JDXi does or if it has any limitations wrt polyphony or track count, but I guess it can be the basis for a setup. If you can chain patterns, if it sends out MIDI on different channels, if you can record by playing or stepwise, it’s a decent enough brain I guess. Sequencer choice is also highly dependent on personal preference.

A completely different trick is to use a looper pedal and to choose sounds on the fly. Then you can make do with only one synth, but looper pedals also impart their own aesthetic on the end result.

Did you already post your budget?

edit: iPad posting is slow. You need a hub if you have three MIDI devices or more and if you do not want to daisy chain (trust me, you don’t). This hub can be really simple like this - http://www.philrees.co.uk/products/thruunit.htm

Each device can be set up to listen to only one MIDI channel. Some sequencers like MPCs can have multiple MIDI outs, so this is a nice option when there is only one out in the brain.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 5, 2017

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

If to match the base functionality (if not the specific gear) is going to be thousands, rather than hundreds

if you don't want to spend four to five figures on gear stay as far away from modular as you can

i don't even have any of the more expensive brands (no cwejman), and according to modulargrid my setup is still over $9k. and that's just what i currently have racked (i have a ton of modules in boxes that i'm not using right now -- i should really go through and get rid of some of them). you could get by with a lot less, but when you're paying two or three hundred dollars a module it adds up fast. :homebrew:

that being said, modular is awesome and it gave me a whole new perspective on audio synthesis. i can't imagine going back to fixed architecture synths at this point.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Thanks for posting these. I've found that it's actually my CPU not managing to keep up any more. I'm working on a separate PC rig to up my processing speed for the future, but until then, I'm kinda stuck with the delay, unfortunately. I'll update the drivers, but I don't know how much it'll actually help.

Still, thanks a lot for the help so far.
I can get 5ms output latency on a three year old Atom tablet, no problem. Because the external audio interface I use has excellent ASIO drivers written for it by the manufacturer. Without the audio interface, using the internal audio chip of the tablet, latency is closer to 500ms. Not because the hardware is less powerful, but because the manufacturer of that audio chip doesn't give a gently caress about latency and only provides general purpose drivers that don't allow the software direct access to the hardware. This is what Laserjet 4P was pointing out - the big trick is in drivers that let software do exactly that. Updating the drivers for the hardware you're using will do gently caress-all, because the category of drivers you need to upgrade to isn't provided by the manufacturers of the stuff built into laptops or desktops. Like, at all. Market wide. So sadly the implication still is that you need some $100-200 piece of external hardware to help you out, just because it will have the right type of drivers.

Now I don't want to imply that the other issue, cpu processing power, doesn't matter at all. More will help keep latency low on more elaborate projects. But with low latency audio drivers available, you could absolutely have barely to unnoticeable delays on a five year old computer for the simplest projects. And on the flip side, you can upgrade your computer to the newest four grand powerhouse today and you will still have half second delays as long as you don't address the audio interface/low latency driver issue, because that's where the crucial bottleneck is, where the huge majority of the delay you're experiencing is generated.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

you should really check out the arpitecht and triads. it is stupid easy to get what you are after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgwDxtlIPjM

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I turned my teletype into a crappy oscilloscope / video generator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsV73v2QST4

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Southern Heel posted:

I've done a few tracks in FL Studio, this is broadly speaking the kind of thing I'm after: https://soundcloud.com/williamayerst/mr2-1985 but in hardware form - a combination of live looping and knob twiddling.

What do you make of this Circuit demo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSNMeVJlOdk

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I have a ridiculous amount of USB stuff that needs to be plugged into my laptop -- some things need power, some things need speed, some are both. In the past I've looked at USB hubs and I tended to cause latency and worse. My question is -- are there high speed, low latency choices of USB Hub out there?

Here's a current list of things that need connecting:

OP-1
Ableton Push 2
Beatstep Pro
Motu Midi Hub
Yamaha Mixer

Number of actual USB connectors -- 3 on my Macbook Pro (since once is always going to use the Thunderbolt for the display).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Apropos of modular-chat and the whole idea of building a modular setup that is both musical and cost-effective:

https://youtu.be/dAIYYuRNx7M

This was posted yesterday and I thought that it was very helpful and insightful, as somebody looking to build a small modular kit in the future. The dude behind MylarMelodies completely overhauled his live rig to better suit club/dance gigs that he has just started to book. To paraphrase something he says in the video, modular is all about giving you these five minute moments of semi-accidental musical perfection and bliss-- often at the expense of ten minutes of work. A lot of the best sets to listen to involve some degree of planning or pre-writing and loading of motifs/patches/sequences/songs/etc, as well as putting together a kit of gear (not just modular, but all equipment) designed with an end goal in mind.

he1ixx posted:

I have a ridiculous amount of USB stuff that needs to be plugged into my laptop -- some things need power, some things need speed, some are both. In the past I've looked at USB hubs and I tended to cause latency and worse. My question is -- are there high speed, low latency choices of USB Hub out there?

OP-1
Ableton Push 2
Beatstep Pro
Motu Midi Hub
Yamaha Mixer

Number of actual USB connectors -- 3 on my Macbook Pro (since once is always going to use the Thunderbolt for the display).

I have a Soundcraft 12MTK and a couple of Boutiques on the way that I want to add to existing gear (Push 2, Minilogue, controller) and an MBP. I was just gonna get a run of the mill powered USB 3 hub off of Amazon but if anyone has any opinions I'd love to hear them.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Apropos of modular-chat and the whole idea of building a modular setup that is both musical and cost-effective:

https://youtu.be/dAIYYuRNx7M

This was posted yesterday and I thought that it was very helpful and insightful, as somebody looking to build a small modular kit in the future. The dude behind MylarMelodies completely overhauled his live rig to better suit club/dance gigs that he has just started to book. To paraphrase something he says in the video, modular is all about giving you these five minute moments of semi-accidental musical perfection and bliss-- often at the expense of ten minutes of work. A lot of the best sets to listen to involve some degree of planning or pre-writing and loading of motifs/patches/sequences/songs/etc, as well as putting together a kit of gear (not just modular, but all equipment) designed with an end goal in mind.

yeah this video is fantastic and inspirational. i'm not the biggest fan of his music but i really appreciate his approach to things -- the stuff in the video about running multiple sequencers gave me a lot of new ideas to play with in my system that i had never thought of before.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Flipperwaldt posted:

I can get 5ms output latency on a three year old Atom tablet, no problem. Because the external audio interface I use has excellent ASIO drivers written for it by the manufacturer. Without the audio interface, using the internal audio chip of the tablet, latency is closer to 500ms. Not because the hardware is less powerful, but because the manufacturer of that audio chip doesn't give a gently caress about latency and only provides general purpose drivers that don't allow the software direct access to the hardware. This is what Laserjet 4P was pointing out - the big trick is in drivers that let software do exactly that. Updating the drivers for the hardware you're using will do gently caress-all, because the category of drivers you need to upgrade to isn't provided by the manufacturers of the stuff built into laptops or desktops. Like, at all. Market wide. So sadly the implication still is that you need some $100-200 piece of external hardware to help you out, just because it will have the right type of drivers.

Now I don't want to imply that the other issue, cpu processing power, doesn't matter at all. More will help keep latency low on more elaborate projects. But with low latency audio drivers available, you could absolutely have barely to unnoticeable delays on a five year old computer for the simplest projects. And on the flip side, you can upgrade your computer to the newest four grand powerhouse today and you will still have half second delays as long as you don't address the audio interface/low latency driver issue, because that's where the crucial bottleneck is, where the huge majority of the delay you're experiencing is generated.

It's my CPU not managing to handle this anymore. My laptop is almost 8 years old, so it's no big surprise. I'll have to get a real rig capable of handling this.

What sound cards out there should I look into for future purchase? I'd like some very reliable and capable. Price is not a major issue if it's not more than something crazy like a grand and a half meant for super computers.

he1ixx posted:

OP-1
Ableton Push 2
Beatstep Pro
Motu Midi Hub
Yamaha Mixer

I have a Cerulian 4xUSB hub that takes a 3.5mm 5V power input. Bigger ones like 8xUSB ones are out there too. Not sure if it's available where you're at since I'm in the UK.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Uncle Kitchener posted:

It's my CPU not managing to handle this anymore. My laptop is almost 8 years old, so it's no big surprise. I'll have to get a real rig capable of handling this.

What sound cards out there should I look into for future purchase? I'd like some very reliable and capable. Price is not a major issue if it's not more than something crazy like a grand and a half meant for super computers.
At eight years old, that laptop obviously needs replacing either way, yeah. I guess I imagined you were talking about some reasonably capable two or three year old machine.

What sound card you get depends heavily on the amount of inputs and outputs you need, which in turn depends on how deep you plan on going into the hardware synth hole and whether your workflow dictates that you record everything separately but at the same time or if you're ok putting everything through a mixer before the interface. The Focusrite Scarlett range is a good place to start. There's a dedicated thread as well. It becomes a matter of determining what capable means, apart from helping reduce latency.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Decided to bite the bullet and get Ableton Lite. Is it good for a starter like me and how good is it?

Flipperwaldt posted:

At eight years old, that laptop obviously needs replacing either way, yeah. I guess I imagined you were talking about some reasonably capable two or three year old machine.

What sound card you get depends heavily on the amount of inputs and outputs you need, which in turn depends on how deep you plan on going into the hardware synth hole and whether your workflow dictates that you record everything separately but at the same time or if you're ok putting everything through a mixer before the interface. The Focusrite Scarlett range is a good place to start. There's a dedicated thread as well. It becomes a matter of determining what capable means, apart from helping reduce latency.

I actually get about 100ms less latency when connecting through DIN MIDI, but it's really not that much when I get around 250ms latency by default, maybe more maybe less.

I think the sound card I'll be going for would preferably be something more geared to semi-professional music making. I don't really know what's out there, but I guess that'll be just a few days of research around.

Edit: I can get very little latency from Ableton, but I'll need to keep some apps closed, which is not that bad, to be honest. ASIO helps as much as it can.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 7, 2017

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Posting in here again due to curiosity and nostalgia. There's a synth sound that I've heard in a number of places, mostly 1990s film and game soundtracks - in particular, Eric Serra's GoldenEye soundtracks reek of it. It's common enough in Serra's work and others though, that I'm sure it's a preset from some FM synth or something. That's why I'm posting it here, not in the 're/create a sound' thread.

I'm talking about this, at around 1 second in on the third beat, that hollow metallic percussive sound. I've always had it in my head as 'porthole sound' since childhood, since it reminds me of... I don't know, submarines or some poo poo. Anyway, there's got to be someone in here that can shed some light on this patch.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Mister Speaker posted:

Posting in here again due to curiosity and nostalgia. There's a synth sound that I've heard in a number of places, mostly 1990s film and game soundtracks - in particular, Eric Serra's GoldenEye soundtracks reek of it. It's common enough in Serra's work and others though, that I'm sure it's a preset from some FM synth or something. That's why I'm posting it here, not in the 're/create a sound' thread.

I'm talking about this, at around 1 second in on the third beat, that hollow metallic percussive sound. I've always had it in my head as 'porthole sound' since childhood, since it reminds me of... I don't know, submarines or some poo poo. Anyway, there's got to be someone in here that can shed some light on this patch.

According to the comments on the vid:

quote:

+ells101 Yes, It is a patch from the EMU Proteus 2 sampler. There are digital libraries of it nowadays. Eric Serra used it in many of his compositions, prominently in the Goldeneye movie soundtrack. The patch in question is called "Infinite One". Let me know if you would like it and in what format. NKI (Native Instruments Kontakt file) or WAV and I can upload it somewhere.

How true that is obviously I don't know. But there you go.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Decided to bite the bullet and get Ableton Lite. Is it good for a starter like me and how good is it?

I liked Ableton lite because the work flow for jamming out ideas on the fly was really good and felt musical instead of typing out a bunch of midi notes.

Now it's just my DAW of choice even if I do more midi editing, but being able to jam parts along with other parts to create things that are musical is still why I love it so much.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

rickiep00h posted:

According to the comments on the vid:

Gee do I ever feel silly. Thanks!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK so going back to my previous discussion about synth workstations (as opposed to modulars), it looks like a JD-xi and/or the midi-host controller so I can plug in my big electric piano seems like a good choice. What would really take the cake however, would be how I could integrate it into the PC _IF_ I decided to take that route.

EDIT: Well I did some digging and it's dirty as hell. I still can't figure out the best option. I want to go legit and not pirate 99% of my software but I'll be hosed if I'm going to pay the kinds of money demanded for this for software of all things.
EDIT2: for clarity

Is it possible to connect up something like a Keyboard+JX-03/TR-505/TB-03 all together using MIDI and play them as part of an iterative 'jam'? I would imagine yes, assuming clock sync, hold, arpeggio functions.

Is it then subsequently possibly to slave these to a DAW? Again, I imagine the answer is yes assuming I have all the channels set up. Lastly, if I did this, how would I get the actual audio output? I gather I'd need to run everything back into a mixer and then into the DAW as a discrete audio track?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 8, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm sure the crossover between the two threads is almost 100%, but in case anyone's NOT following the VST thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3459870&perpage=40&pagenumber=50#post478158503

or, alternatively, Soundtoys is giving away one of their latest plate reverb plugins for free, until Nov 22nd.

http://www.soundtoys.com/product/little-plate/

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

OK so going back to my previous discussion about synth workstations (as opposed to modulars), it looks like a JD-xi and/or the midi-host controller so I can plug in my big electric piano seems like a good choice. What would really take the cake however, would be how I could integrate it into the PC _IF_ I decided to take that route.

EDIT: Well I did some digging and it's dirty as hell. I still can't figure out the best option. I want to go legit and not pirate 99% of my software but I'll be hosed if I'm going to pay the kinds of money demanded for this for software of all things.

Is it possible to connect up something like a Keyboard+JX-03/TR-505/TB-03 all together using MIDI and play them as part of an iterative 'jam'? I would imagine yes, assuming clock sync, hold, arpeggio functions.

Is it then subsequently possibly to slave these to a DAW? Again, I imagine the answer is yes assuming I have all the channels set up. Lastly, if I did this, how would I get the actual audio output? I gather I'd need to run everything back into a mixer and then into the DAW as a discrete audio track?

I sort of answered this in the 'making dance music' thread, but it's possible - you either need to get all modules that have both MIDI and Audio I/O over MIDI (which I'm pretty sure all the Roland Boutiques can do, from looking at it, or you need a MIDI+Analog I/O Interface for your computer. Doing the second will require you to actually learn how to set up MIDI stuff, but will be far more flexible. Since it seems like you already have a USB-only piano the first might be better though? The prices for most Intro-DAWs are pretty reasonable: Ableton Lite is like $90 I think.

EDIT: back in the day (and currently, for those involved in the hardware-only/retro synth scenes), people would buy a MIDI or CV sequencer, and compose songs on it. A sequencer makes no sound itself, it just records MIDI or CV values for pitch, duration, velocity, etc and spits them back out on command. Then they would set up a bunch of synths, samplers and drum machines - which take MIDI/CV values and translate them into different sounds - to receive the MIDI or CV from it and mix their audio output that resulted from those synths onto a tape machine. Nowadays, most (not all) of this type of sequencing is done in a DAW, which is a combination of several things: a MIDI sequencer, a mixer and tape recorder for audio, a host for digital synthesizers (and digital emulations of analog synths), a multi-effects unit, and a patchbay. You can literally just buy Ableton and do all the things that those three modules do and a whole lot more, it has built-in synths of equal or greater power than those three boxes combined, a MIDI sequencer of nearly infinite complexity and processing/storage compared to most hardware units, and much more. If you enjoy using hardware units, you can buy a bunch of those Roland Boutique units and have fun twiddling with them, but you don't NEED anything except Ableton and a MIDI controller to make a 'jam' from it, that's literally why it's called Ableton 'Live.'

EDIT 2: If you just decide you don't like using the computer or a DAW, there are a huge number hardware of sequencers available, the king of which is probably currently the Electron Octatrack MkII (cheaper but still good new options include Arturia Beatstep or Korg Electribe 2). Hell, there's a whole musical culture built around using Akai MPC sequencer/samplers, that unit is like the basis of almost all hiphop. You could buy one and start learning it, then you probably need 2-3 other synths to make that work. Some people absolutely love doing only hardware, but be aware, if you think buying the full version of Ableton is expensive, hardware synthesis is not for you. Here's an example of that: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/12/20/how-to-use-midi-in-an-all-hardware-setup/

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 8, 2017

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

That set up is definitely doable with some work. The pain point I see is I'm not sure how advanced the sync on your keyboard is or where to begin with a TR-505. Pre-MIDI (TR-909 on for Roland stuff), sync was weird + proprietary and you may need converters.

On software prices, keep in mind they're tagged for studios and computer labs, ie people with facilities budgets. Consider that when you're considering if you feel you need to pay full price. (but if you do, Reaper has a very lenient trial + cheap full license, you may just end up with Ableton if you buy anything new (but don't), and Logic isn't too too bad now)

Other than that if you get a sound card like a MOTU 828, with multiple inputs and outputs, it can stand in as your mixer - just plug each thing in. If you get one with just two, you'll need a mixer to run everything through, but then just plug that in. After that its really a workflow thing - I planned on doing a lot of takes at once but in practice thats tough.

The best way to avoid a computer set up is probably a MPC1000 with JJOS, but thats a whole different set of issues. I've been using JJOS for a couple of years and am happy to answer any questions but at this point I'd honestly recommend learning a DAW.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Considering what you get with Logic Pro X ($200) or Live Standard ($360), what you pay for what you get is really not terrible. It's one thing to balk at spending hundreds on VSTs and sample packs (which you should really not do), but it's worth it to have the centerpiece of your studio be legit, eligible for upgrades/patches/etc, and not being actively sabotaged by the company that made it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TheQuietWilds posted:

Considering what you get with Logic Pro X ($200) or Live Standard ($360), what you pay for what you get is really not terrible. It's one thing to balk at spending hundreds on VSTs and sample packs (which you should really not do), but it's worth it to have the centerpiece of your studio be legit, eligible for upgrades/patches/etc, and not being actively sabotaged by the company that made it.

Furthering this point, my next major investment with anything audio-related on my end is likely going to be Komplete ## (whatever version is out when I finally can buy it). I really enjoy Logic, used it for 10+ years now, but right now, I'm kind of a slave to it and a mac, if I want a good orchestral sample set, because of how I bought my Kirk Hunter library years ago. Stupidly, it was the EXS version, not the Kontakt version. So, I'd likely be 100% using Reaper if it weren't for that, as I do have a fair bit of non-Logic plugins.

Now, if I had a 3rd party software 'hub' for lack of a better term, I could use that with whatever DAW I wanted (that supported plugins, obviously). Komplete seems to be that kind of hub that I want. Great amp sims, great sample library, more synths and samplers than I could ever realistically use... Being able to take that and put it with Reaper on a mac OR pc is my end goal.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I agonized over buying Komplete initially because it seemed like so much money, but it turned out to be some of the best money I ever spent, music-wise. I hardly compose anything nowadays that doesn't have a half dozen instances of Kontakt in it, and frequently I'm using the libraries that came with Komplete as well.

Oh on that note, Qataz audio just made a bunch of their Kontakt instruments go free. Mostly pianos, but there's some other stuff in there as well.

https://www.kvraudio.com/news/qataz...and-serum-39042

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Does anyone have a yamaha qy70 they want to get rid of? I have some ideas

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Hey so now I'm the idiot asking about keyboards - I am looking for a bare bones 49 key midi keyboard that has really great action. I've been learning piano on a Yamaha Arias 181 and am frustrated that I don't have those keys on my current MIDI keyboard. I don't care about transport controls or it making any sound at all.

Like I guess this but smaller
http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio/HAMMER-88.gc

Wavetable making my TI2 feel sad.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I'd just hit up your local Guitar Center or whatever and play all the keyboards until you like the action on one. Most companies only offer the nice weighted keys on their 88-key model, though. I can't find a single non-88-key controller that has fully weighted action, sorry.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 9, 2017

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
You're not going to get fully weighted keys on a 49 key controller, but the NI Komplete 49 or Roland A-500Pro should have the best keybeds

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
my old MPK 49 had semi-weighted keys but felt really nice to play. then the encoders started ghosting out random midi and i had to dump it :( that's my story folks, may it be of use to history!

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Plavski posted:

my old MPK 49 had semi-weighted keys but felt really nice to play. then the encoders started ghosting out random midi and i had to dump it :( that's my story folks, may it be of use to history!

I have one too, black & white keys have a different feel/velocity curve, the keybed bends in the middle with minimal pressure, the pads are dogshit and the faders and knobs send ghost midi. It’s ok as a vj controller as long as I don’t need to remap anything (because the editor is also dogshit and unusable because of the ghost midi)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

TheQuietWilds posted:

I sort of answered this in the 'making dance music' thread, but it's possible - you either need to get all modules that have both MIDI and Audio I/O over MIDI (which I'm pretty sure all the Roland Boutiques can do, from looking at it, or you need a MIDI+Analog I/O Interface for your computer. Doing the second will require you to actually learn how to set up MIDI stuff, but will be far more flexible. Since it seems like you already have a USB-only piano the first might be better though? The prices for most Intro-DAWs are pretty reasonable: Ableton Lite is like $90 I think.

EDIT: back in the day (and currently, for those involved in the hardware-only/retro synth scenes), people would buy a MIDI or CV sequencer, and compose songs on it. A sequencer makes no sound itself, it just records MIDI or CV values for pitch, duration, velocity, etc and spits them back out on command. Then they would set up a bunch of synths, samplers and drum machines - which take MIDI/CV values and translate them into different sounds - to receive the MIDI or CV from it and mix their audio output that resulted from those synths onto a tape machine. Nowadays, most (not all) of this type of sequencing is done in a DAW, which is a combination of several things: a MIDI sequencer, a mixer and tape recorder for audio, a host for digital synthesizers (and digital emulations of analog synths), a multi-effects unit, and a patchbay. You can literally just buy Ableton and do all the things that those three modules do and a whole lot more, it has built-in synths of equal or greater power than those three boxes combined, a MIDI sequencer of nearly infinite complexity and processing/storage compared to most hardware units, and much more. If you enjoy using hardware units, you can buy a bunch of those Roland Boutique units and have fun twiddling with them, but you don't NEED anything except Ableton and a MIDI controller to make a 'jam' from it, that's literally why it's called Ableton 'Live.'

EDIT 2: If you just decide you don't like using the computer or a DAW, there are a huge number hardware of sequencers available, the king of which is probably currently the Electron Octatrack MkII (cheaper but still good new options include Arturia Beatstep or Korg Electribe 2). Hell, there's a whole musical culture built around using Akai MPC sequencer/samplers, that unit is like the basis of almost all hiphop. You could buy one and start learning it, then you probably need 2-3 other synths to make that work. Some people absolutely love doing only hardware, but be aware, if you think buying the full version of Ableton is expensive, hardware synthesis is not for you. Here's an example of that: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/12/20/how-to-use-midi-in-an-all-hardware-setup/

JamesKPolk posted:

That set up is definitely doable with some work. The pain point I see is I'm not sure how advanced the sync on your keyboard is or where to begin with a TR-505. Pre-MIDI (TR-909 on for Roland stuff), sync was weird + proprietary and you may need converters.

On software prices, keep in mind they're tagged for studios and computer labs, ie people with facilities budgets. Consider that when you're considering if you feel you need to pay full price. (but if you do, Reaper has a very lenient trial + cheap full license, you may just end up with Ableton if you buy anything new (but don't), and Logic isn't too too bad now)

Other than that if you get a sound card like a MOTU 828, with multiple inputs and outputs, it can stand in as your mixer - just plug each thing in. If you get one with just two, you'll need a mixer to run everything through, but then just plug that in. After that its really a workflow thing - I planned on doing a lot of takes at once but in practice thats tough.

The best way to avoid a computer set up is probably a MPC1000 with JJOS, but thats a whole different set of issues. I've been using JJOS for a couple of years and am happy to answer any questions but at this point I'd honestly recommend learning a DAW.

What is it about this thread that makes people so damned nice and helpful? I'm not used to this kind of response to my questions. I'll respond to the DAW-stuff in the DAW thread, but as it pertains here, it seems as though the TR-505 was a little too ambitious, but that I should consider live jamming (i.e. setting up arpeggios/holds) very different to song construction. This was the kind of divide I was talking about bridging with modular synths and you helped advise that realistically it was very expensive to make them to do the latter. I understand now that even if I connect up all my kit via Midi and have the arp/hold functions, I would still need a Midi sequencer to actually construct songs.

What I wanted to avoid, was (as we have touched on here) spending literally hundreds of dollars on software synths and VSTs as opposed to physical ones that actually have some kind of intrinsic value. I did not consider that the orchestration of these components, which obviously is a key part.

Many, many thanks.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Southern Heel posted:

What is it about this thread that makes people so damned nice and helpful? I'm not used to this kind of response to my questions.

We'll do anything to avoid actually making music

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

While we're talking about software, what's a good one for just recording and adding some effects? I've got hardware synths and a Beatstep Pro for sequencing, I'm sending everything to an audio interface, and so far on the software/DAW side I've only played around with Ableton, which does get the job done very nicely, but I can't help but feel it's a bit too beefy for what little I actually do with it.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Audacity is the common free solution for basic audio recording, editing and effect application.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ynohtna posted:

Audacity is the common free solution for basic audio recording, editing and effect application.

And it just got updated, too!

In terms of keyboards, I might be the weirdo of the group that prefers, for when I'm doing synth/non-piano work, the non-weighted or semi-weighted keys (you know, the really thin keys that don't offer that much resistance). When I'm trying to actually play a piano sampler or Pianoteq, I prefer fully-weighted. It's like when I'm making fake doot-doot sounds, I'm ok with the cheaper, fake, doot-doot feel, you know?

EDIT: vvv Haha, yes, if Ableton is too beefy, Reaper will likely kill you. On the flipside, I strongly suggest getting to know the flow of DAWs in general, because once you learn how it all works, DAWs are nigh-interchangeable, with a few exceptions. My favourite 'non-standard' DAW is Reason, which is weird, because it actually takes the signal flow aspect of everything and really brings it to the forefront. I love those virtual patch cables so much :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

My Lovely Horse posted:

While we're talking about software, what's a good one for just recording and adding some effects? I've got hardware synths and a Beatstep Pro for sequencing, I'm sending everything to an audio interface, and so far on the software/DAW side I've only played around with Ableton, which does get the job done very nicely, but I can't help but feel it's a bit too beefy for what little I actually do with it.

Well, don’t try Reaper, then. 😂 it’s great tho.