Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

DC Murderverse posted:

edit: also it is unfair that chris hemsworth is as funny and handsome as he is. like, everyone should only get one.

Apparently he can also sing, and he's a genuinely nice guy. That's just rubbing it in really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He also has brothers who look like offbrand versions of him, so you're constantly reminded he's the real deal.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All the Hemsworths should fight the Skarsgards in an arena hosted by Goldblum.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Duey posted:

I'm kind of amazed at the different scenes between the Trailer and the actual movie. Rogue One did this last year too. Is this a Disney thing?

Rogue One had a lot of reshoots and scenes specifically shot for the trailer (like the shot where Jyn Erso is in an imperial uniform and framed by the lights). Some of the changes for Thor are just to hide twists, which is slightly different.

Vegetable posted:

He also has brothers who look like offbrand versions of him, so you're constantly reminded he's the real deal.

Which is what made Luke's cameo in the play so funny.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think reshooting huge parts of movies is a disney thing in that disney is willing and able to spend the huge sacks of money to throw away a bunch of work and footage and redo expensive shots to get the best version of a movie. I'm sure tons of other movies watch parts and say "this could be better" but can't find the way to get the 8 million dollars to fix it the way a star wars or MCU movie can.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

edit: also it is unfair that chris hemsworth is as funny and handsome as he is. like, everyone should only get one.

This echoes my feelings on Jon Hamm.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Which is what made Luke's cameo in the play so funny.

Matt Damon as Play Loki cracked me up so much, reminded me of his hilarious cameo in Eurotrip. Matt Damon needs to have more funny cameos.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Charlz Guybon posted:

They seem to have much better rep than Greco-Roman Gods though. Is that right, or do they just have a better PR team?

Bit of both. The Norse knew their gods were assholes and liked them that way, and I think a large part of the more positive view of them these days is that the Norse religion gave way largely peacefully to Christianity. Persecution of Christians in the name of the gods wasn't much of a thing in Scandinavia.

I'm reminded of Rick Riordan's YA book series dealing with various different mythologies. The Norse series is the newest, and portrays the Norse gods (both Aesir and Vanir, Riordan does his homework) as quite a lot more eccentric than the Greco-Roman and ancient Egyptian pantheons, and a hell of a lot more intelligent, ruthless, and all around dangerous.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Norse religion didn't give way peacefully, to my understanding. There were waves of persecution and forced conversion.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

WampaLord posted:

This echoes my feelings on Jon Hamm.

Matt Damon as Play Loki cracked me up so much, reminded me of his hilarious cameo in Eurotrip. Matt Damon needs to have more funny cameos.

For me it was more like his appearance in Interstellar, which was so utterly unexpected that it cracked up half the audience.

The difference, as I've seen it, between Greco-Roman mythology and Norse mythology when it comes to their Gods being a buncha jerks is that the Olympians have a spiteful, capricious streak to them wherein slights are punished way out of proportion, whereas the Norse gods seem to cause havoc as byproducts of their activity rather than intentionally. The Vikings could totally get down with their Gods partying a little too hard and making a bit of a mess of things.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
This was alright. My usual MCU complaint of undercutting the drama with jokes.

Also I thought the Immigrant Song was poorly used. Goldblum was a delight, his intro was funny as hell.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Charlz Guybon posted:

They seem to have much better rep than Greco-Roman Gods though. Is that right, or do they just have a better PR team?

The Norse gods are basically the Greek gods if the only things the Greek Gods cared about were drinking and conquest.

An unfortunate thing about Norse mythology is that a vast majority of it was lost to time. This is due to a mixture of Norse stories only being passed down orally for centuries and Christianity destroy what written records there were.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Also, if you want to get into some basic Norse myths, I would highly recommend Neil Gaiman’s recent “Norse Mythology” book. It’s a collection of about 15 stories. Easy, fun read.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Panfilo posted:

I had no idea the director and a few actors were from New Zealand. I'm terrible with accents and thought the rock dude was just this really chipper guy with some vaguely English accent.

I also found it funny that he was weirdly trusting toward strangers. He tells Loki's illusion "Piss off, ghost!" but then later when he sees the same 'ghost' that looks identical to the one in the holding area but this time its being zapped in the hangar bay he's just all :kimchi: "Hey fella you reckon you want to join us on our violent overthrow of our opressors yah?"

Are there some stereotypes about New Zealanders I'm not familiar with?

Watch Once Were Warriors.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Valkyrie's actress is claiming that a scene establishing Valkyrie as bisexual/gay was cut from the release version of the film, according to the execs because it interrupted the pace of the movie. :(

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
I'm guessing it had something to do with the other Valkyrie protecting her in the flashback scene?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Valkyrie's actress is claiming that a scene establishing Valkyrie as bisexual/gay was cut from the release version of the film, according to the execs because it interrupted the pace of the movie. :(

I got the clue from the visual sequence with the Valkyrie near her dying and her saying she lost everything, but good to know they wanted it to be explicit.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
can't wait for the extended cut with 45 minutes of lesbian sex

Electromax
May 6, 2007
They at least kept in the 2nd or 3rd MCU Hulk movie that has a gag alluding to his dick.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

LingcodKilla posted:

Watch Once Were Warriors.
this is an unconventional suggestion for someone who is presumably looking for more in the kiwi-humour subgenre unless you think 'cook the man some eggs' is a setup but then the punchline is...oh....oh. :yikes:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Panfilo posted:

I'm guessing it had something to do with the other Valkyrie protecting her in the flashback scene?

Nope. She says there was a scene on Skaara where Thor visited Valkyrie in her quarters on for him to find another woman already there from the previous night.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

awesmoe posted:

this is an unconventional suggestion for someone who is presumably looking for more in the kiwi-humour subgenre unless you think 'cook the man some eggs' is a setup but then the punchline is...oh....oh. :yikes:

Not all kiwi culture is humorous. Jake had better fight scenes than Thor did though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

If you want funny New Zealand poo poo, watch the HBO Flight of the Conchords show.

In fact, I think the rock dude was the voice of their manager.

E: VVV Haha, welp. They sound very similar.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 8, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

WampaLord posted:

If you want funny New Zealand poo poo, watch the HBO Flight of the Conchords show.

In fact, I think the rock dude was the voice of their manager.

The rock dude, Korg, was Taika Waititi the director.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Could also try Outrageous Fortune, comedy crime show

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think an aspect I liked about the final climax was Loki saving the citizens and finally getting to play the hero, because I dig the idea of villains becoming heroes (even if only temporarily) simply because they dig the positive reinforcement. Selfish selflessness is a fun idea.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BioEnchanted posted:

I think an aspect I liked about the final climax was Loki saving the citizens and finally getting to play the hero, because I dig the idea of villains becoming heroes (even if only temporarily) simply because they dig the positive reinforcement. Selfish selflessness is a fun idea.

Thats how Dr Doom should be played.

Any chance he makes it into a movie again?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I keep chuckling over the execution of the "piss off, ghost" scene. I just love that he waits until he's sure it's gone before doing something that might make it mad.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I have to go back and check, but i am wondering if I noticed a new trend for Phase 3. Remember how in Phase 2 in every movie someone lost a hand/arm? In Spiderman Homecoming there was a scene with Peter look at his reflection with the mask half on and off, and the focus sort of blurred from Parker face to Spiderman face. You saw a similar shot in with Banner watching the monitor on the Quinn Jet, where it phased from Banner face to Hulk face.

Can anyone remember a similar scene from GotG or other Phase 3 movies?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

swickles posted:

I have to go back and check, but i am wondering if I noticed a new trend for Phase 3. Remember how in Phase 2 in every movie someone lost a hand/arm? In Spiderman Homecoming there was a scene with Peter look at his reflection with the mask half on and off, and the focus sort of blurred from Parker face to Spiderman face. You saw a similar shot in with Banner watching the monitor on the Quinn Jet, where it phased from Banner face to Hulk face.

Can anyone remember a similar scene from GotG or other Phase 3 movies?

Not 100% phase 3 related but it seems like the main heroes all lose something in their 3rd movie in this Thor lost his eye, hammer, dad, and home.

In Iron Man 3 Tony lost his armor (temporarily), many of the suits were destroyed, lost his home, and Pepper temporarily left him. His loses are all recovered in later films.

In Captain America 3 Cap left his shield behind and basically lost the ability to roam freely in his home.

So at the very least in the 3rd film of each series each hero loses their weapon and can't go home. They also all make at least one new friend that helps them.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 9, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think reshooting huge parts of movies is a disney thing in that disney is willing and able to spend the huge sacks of money to throw away a bunch of work and footage and redo expensive shots to get the best version of a movie. I'm sure tons of other movies watch parts and say "this could be better" but can't find the way to get the 8 million dollars to fix it the way a star wars or MCU movie can.

Predator went into a big reshoot/second production thing after the original suit was deemed stupid as poo poo. And the movie is so much better for it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Aren't the Norse Gods notoriously pansexual?

Loki turned into a mare and hosed a horse.

Should have had her pegasus from the flashback in the bed instead.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't believe TV shows are spoiling the entire plot of movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8atgsWFfDOg

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hate-Senpai posted:

I can't believe TV shows are spoiling the entire plot of movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8atgsWFfDOg

I need a comedy movie with just Chris and Goldblum, in space, as space vikings.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This is probably the most enjoyable superhero film I've ever seen. The previous 2 Thors were dull as gently caress and I've only ever thought other Marvel movies were meh. I care not about all the nitpicky things I've read in this thread because overall the film was pretty much the embodiment of a comic book; fun.

McDragon posted:

I keep chuckling over the execution of the "piss off, ghost" scene. I just love that he waits until he's sure it's gone before doing something that might make it mad.

Korg in general was wonderful. I particularly enjoyed it when he was chatting to knife hands about him leaking. "Are you leaking some kind of fluid or are those..... eggs?"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

CelticPredator posted:

Predator went into a big reshoot/second production thing after the original suit was deemed stupid as poo poo. And the movie is so much better for it.

Yeah, it always gets reported in media news like "THIS MOVIE IS A TRAIN WRECK! THEY ARE RESHOOTING THIS WHOLE FAILED THING!" like it's a bad thing but I kinda imagine nearly every director that exists would love to be kubrick and film every scene 350 times even though they are doing action movies where the effect shots cost 6 million dollars a shot instead of just shots of people talking.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This is probably the most enjoyable superhero film I've ever seen. The previous 2 Thors were dull as gently caress and I've only ever thought other Marvel movies were meh. I care not about all the nitpicky things I've read in this thread because overall the film was pretty much the embodiment of a comic book; fun.

Korg in general was wonderful. I particularly enjoyed it when he was chatting to knife hands about him leaking. "Are you leaking some kind of fluid or are those..... eggs?"

I loved knifehands constant cool poses he was pulling in the background. Because let's be honest, I'd be doing the same thing if I had knife hands.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

got any sevens posted:

Thats how Dr Doom should be played.

Any chance he makes it into a movie again?

Unfortunately they've cursed fantastic four and no one would see another one of their films. People sure as hell don't want to see yet another fantastic four origin story that's for sure. Which is a shame because I'd love to see just full on rear end in a top hat reed richards and Doom being Doom on film for once.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Finally saw it and really enjoyed it though I'm stilled pissed that they killed the warriors 3 :smith:

Though I hope Taika does Thor 4 because he said it would open with another play recap of the last movie with Jeff Goldblum as Grandmaster, Sam Neill as Odin and Laura Dern as Hela :allears:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

achillesforever6 posted:

Finally saw it and really enjoyed it though I'm stilled pissed that they killed the warriors 3 :smith:

The odds of a fantasy series about fantasy Norse myth won’t eventually go to Valhalla seems like zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
it was hilarious how the movie is almost ruined before it started for me by the trailer for Hemsworth's next rag, 12 Strong. there's not a :911: big enough

• Locked thread