Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Alighieri posted:

Comcast, why you do this? Lots of clients are down or having static/packet issues.

Sirotan posted:

If anyone else is having major issues with Comcast today, it's not just you!! https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/outages/2017-November/010891.html

Looks like today was a good day to put in my notice after all.

Edit: looks like the problem might be upstream, at level3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Alighieri posted:

Comcast, why you do this? Lots of clients are down or having static/packet issues.

Had a call with one of them because of their business class router doing IPv6 Router Advertisements... constantly. Had to setup a static IPv6 address on every workstation to get around it.

gently caress Comcast.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Centurylink acquired Level3 and poo poo hit the loving fan.

e: also apparently Windstream had a data center failure?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Our phones are ringing off the hook because people can't connect to our servers. A good day to be off the phones.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Our phones are ringing off the hook because people can't connect to our servers. A good day to be off the phones.

We have a few locations on Comcast. Thankfully connectivity to Google services and our own servers are not affected. So there is little impact on those locations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
So you're telling me if I'm having a completely unrelated issue of our comcast modem forgetting our 5 static IPs and assigning whatever it feels like over DHCP, I shouldn't call them today?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Judge Schnoopy posted:

So you're telling me if I'm having a completely unrelated issue of our comcast modem forgetting our 5 static IPs and assigning whatever it feels like over DHCP, I shouldn't call them today?

Sounds like a good excuse to get some reading done while on hold.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Sounds like a good excuse to get some reading done while on hold.

This is the only good thing about calling AT&T.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

null_pointer posted:

Jesus Christ, that is saying something. I still pine for the days of Sametime, no matter how bloated it was.

I kinda miss Sametime, too.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

e: also apparently Windstream had a data center failure?

There isn't a day that Windstream doesn't have a major failure.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sirotan posted:

I think I'm going to have the HR director in the office with me when I tell him, cuz otherwise I think he'll misbehave and/or just become abusive. :(

Hey, Sirotan, how did it go?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Fil5000 posted:

Hey, Sirotan, how did it go?

(Un?)fortunately, my boss took it very well. I went right to the HR director's office when I got into the building, and gave him a copy of my resignation letter, and asked if he could accompany me to my boss' office to deliver the news. I only told him that I didn't know how my boss would react. My boss was surprised but seems genuinely happy for me. Unprompted, he says that he "knows I'm not leaving because I'm unhappy here", and instead believes I'm moving on due to lack of growth opportunities (which is true). I don't see any benefit of letting him or anyone else here know otherwise.

My coworkers are genuinely sad to see me go. My helpdesk guy even said I was an inspiration to him. :unsmith: I think they're gonna be kinda hosed without me, my boss is already saying they want me to work as a consultant on a few issues. Don't know if that would actually happen, but I'm happy to do it for $$$.

Now I just have to plan what we're gonna do for my going away party!

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 8, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get that boat

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

Get that boat

don't let your wife talk you into a European vacation either!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A VP just caught me in the hallway, and asked if I would have an internal and external data security policy written before I leave in 1.5 weeks.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

You could probably get a title on a piece of paper written down in that time for him.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sirotan posted:

A VP just caught me in the hallway, and asked if I would have an internal and external data security policy written before I leave in 1.5 weeks.

Hey, could you do a lot of work for us before you leave? Thanks.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Sickening posted:

Hey, could you do a lot of work for us before you leave? Thanks.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

:perfect:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Yeaaaaaahhhhh, we're going to need to call you after you quit as unpaid. Yeah. That's great.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you could just write a manual for how to do your job that would be greeaaaaaaaat.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Thanks Ants posted:

If you could just write a manual for how to do your job that would be greeaaaaaaaat.

Literally a thing my boss wants me to do. Wants a list of every little task I perform that he and the rest of the team might not be aware of.

Yeah I'll get right on that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It's not that crazy a request. It's good and bad news is that they want you to spend your last 2 weeks documenting as much as you're able. Good that they want the info, bad that there wasn't a culture where that existed already.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bosses who think documentation = a step-by-step guide for doing a thing so that a literal idiot can do your job are fun.

"You said you'd documented this! There's not even screenshots!"

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Thanks Ants posted:

Bosses who think documentation = a step-by-step guide for doing a thing so that a literal idiot can do your job are fun.

I've got one of these. He thinks people singlehandedly who run major systems for our company, like our ERP or DB or phone system can be "backed up" by someone who just sort of shadows that person for a couple of weeks with no prior experience, and that the backup person should be able to meaningfully liaison with an outside consultant in case of emergency.

It boggles my loving mind.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Literally a thing my boss wants me to do. Wants a list of every little task I perform that he and the rest of the team might not be aware of.

This is the moment you slip them your independant contractor rates on a card. You know, $lots of bux an hour, minimum x hours, that kind of thing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Thanks Ants posted:

This is only the case when it's a precursor to automation.

If you can document to that level of specificity, it shouldn't be manual anymore.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sirotan posted:

You'd BETTER do it! You don't want to get fired.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Samizdata posted:

You'd BETTER do it! You don't want to get fired.

Yes. Yes, I do.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That loving irritates me to no end. When our DB guy is on vacation and people are throwing fits asking why he doesn't have a backup. Yeah I can backup simple poo poo but no loving way am I in any way able to do his job.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Or our AS400 guy is out. I'm not writing your god drat queries sorry! I don't even have a login to the system on purpose.

"What do they even pay you for?"

I don't know, ask me that the next time your computer failed.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
There was one job where after I left a department head/shitbag wanted me sued, because one of his mass emails failed due to ignoring my advice not to attach PDFs when sending out 12,000+ emails from a blueberry iMac. My assistant manager was in that meeting and basically told him to shut his pie hole. Wish I'd been there to see that.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

GreenNight posted:

Or our AS400 guy is out. I'm not writing your god drat queries sorry! I don't even have a login to the system on purpose.

"What do they even pay you for?"

I don't know, ask me that the next time your computer failed.

Did they really say something that loving condescending to your face? I hope every piece of technology they rely upon to make their meager contribution never fails again, because if I were you that person would be automatically and permanently at the bottom of my priority list.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dick Trauma posted:

There was one job where after I left a department head/shitbag wanted me sued, because one of his mass emails failed due to ignoring my advice not to attach PDFs when sending out 12,000+ emails from a blueberry iMac. My assistant manager was in that meeting and basically told him to shut his pie hole. Wish I'd been there to see that.

Who the gently caress even hinted at legitimising that complaint by accepting a meeting about it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Che Delilas posted:

Did they really say something that loving condescending to your face? I hope every piece of technology they rely upon to make their meager contribution never fails again, because if I were you that person would be automatically and permanently at the bottom of my priority list.

Not to my face, but over the phone.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Thanks Ants posted:

Who the gently caress even hinted at legitimising that complaint by accepting a meeting about it?

Possibly a weekly status call and he brought it up as an issue?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh, it was at the weekly department head meeting. This was back in the early 2000s, and I'd set up the iMac for mass mailing our membership. It worked great without attachments, it was slow with small attachments and it would choke on large attachments. Since we had a well-developed website I transitioned most everyone to including links to the files on our website instead of attaching them.

But this dumbass (who before this episode backstabbed me bad enough to contribute to my departure) decided he knew better, and a few weeks after my resignation took effect he demanded that the mass mail include attachments and of course it went terribly. So in the next department head meeting he started raising hell and wanted "legal remedies" to punish me for assuring him everything would be fine. Like my getting cancer, having a meltdown and resigning weren't enough for him.

He's probably the only former coworker that I might punch in the face if I were to see him again. It's why I can't go back when they have staff reunions. What a fuckhead.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Hell is truly other people :smith:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah, I had to educate a couple people on the difference between documentation and a cookbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

GreenNight posted:

Not to my face, but over the phone.

"Accomplishing more in a given workday than you, apparently."

• Locked thread