Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

waded into my spam folder to see if I am still getting some from them and the answer is no

I do however have some spam harassing me about past due invoices from people at that company by name but from other addresses now like "Legit Name <randomname@hahest.com>"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the only spam i got today starts with "This grandma is looking hot!"

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

finally a sane voice in the tls middlebox discussion: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/saag/DabDtIemZ1PIVRVIFbyBPI4YQ2w

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

infernal machines posted:

they received it when they were expecting some shared files to come in, message body was
code:
Title: ACTION REQUIRED: Shared Documents

Hello,

<name>, sent you a secured  file via SharePoint Online.

Go To [url="https://twofeetstanding.com/@%23$%25%5e&%25$%23/index.php"]Shared Documents[/url]

If you have any questions,please let me know.

Many Thanks,

Sincerely
the link goes to a landing page that suggest you sign in with one of several types of email account, selecting Office 365 or Aol gets you an exact ripoff of that service's login page.

since the email is coming directly from another compromised account the headers are right and the signature etc. are all what you'd expect to see, so of course the user didn't look at the URL before trying to sign in.

this was sent from the email account of the SVP of the other firm
Exact same format, title and body, came in yesterday (FinTech) only linking to a different URL.

code:
https://grxserviciosgraficos.es/%26%5E*%24(%24*%23%5E%23%5E%25%26*%5E%23%26(*%40%26%5E%40%5E%25%25%26*%5E(%26%23%23*%26%5E%25%40%24%40%26%25*%5E(%26%40%40%40

Jewel
May 2, 2009

probably missed this posted somewhere else in yos but lol. logitech is bricking a product for everybody because certs cost money

https://community.logitech.com/s/question/0D55A0000745EkC/harmony-link-eos-or-eol

quote:

Hi Stan – and everyone else.

In the past week, we notified Harmony Link customers that the product will no longer function March of 2018. Depending on the warranty status – we offered replacements or a discount towards a new Harmony Hub or any Harmony remote.

I understand some of you have Harmony Links that are working perfectly fine right now. However, there is a technology certificate license that will expire next March. The certificate will not be renewed as we are focusing resources on our current app-based remote, the Harmony Hub.

I recognize the frustration of this and apologize for any inconveniences this causes.

Thank you for voicing your opinion.

-Will

https://twitter.com/MalwareJake/status/928309887087665157

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
can't you just firewall the thing to prevent it bricking itself?

e: also
https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/928294833202061314

how do people still buy logitech poo poo that aren't mice?

Truga fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 8, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

their keyboards are good too

i do not understand anything about how or why they’re bricking these things. hell why isn’t it a self signed certificate that each device has pinned and stored in a secure element?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

weak solder joints have killed 2 mice and 2 keyboards, and my mx revolution makes the whole system run about as smooth as george vi in a rap battle so i've been done with logitech for a while

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Jewel posted:

probably missed this posted somewhere else in yos but lol. logitech is bricking a product for everybody because certs cost money

https://community.logitech.com/s/question/0D55A0000745EkC/harmony-link-eos-or-eol

https://twitter.com/MalwareJake/status/928309887087665157

what the gently caress costs money here? are they issuing a PKI cert to every single device instead of just generating them out of their own CA and adding it to the trust store?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

weak solder joints have killed 2 mice and 2 keyboards, and my mx revolution makes the whole system run about as smooth as george vi in a rap battle so i've been done with logitech for a while

what that gently caress is wrong with your mice. i dont want their keyboards these days since i have hyperspecific mechanical preferences, but i still love their mices. i have large, heavy hands, and they are large and built like bricks. i just wish they did remake g9x, knowing the fate of the old one i'd stockpile a couple of those for a decade in advace

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

what the gently caress costs money here? are they issuing a PKI cert to every single device instead of just generating them out of their own CA and adding it to the trust store?

the harmony link is a headless universal remote-like box that lets a phone app control IR devices, I guess it relies on an internet backend to do this. I don't know what a "technology certificate license" is but that sounds like a euphemism/cs-peon-speak for "we're tired of paying a cloud provider to run this service for legacy devices and we're betting the ensuing PR shitstorm doesn't do any lasting damage"

I have a harmony remote and if they shut off service I think I only lose the ability to reconfigure it (through a terrible web wrapper app), it won't brick the whole thing. still a v. lovely move

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

the harmony link is a headless universal remote-like box that lets a phone app control IR devices, I guess it relies on an internet backend to do this. I don't know what a "technology certificate license" is but that sounds like a euphemism/cs-peon-speak for "we're tired of paying a cloud provider to run this service for legacy devices and we're betting the ensuing PR shitstorm doesn't do any lasting damage"

I have a harmony remote and if they shut off service I think I only lose the ability to reconfigure it (through a terrible web wrapper app), it won't brick the whole thing. still a v. lovely move

maybe they cheaped out on a chip that doesn't support modern certs?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what that gently caress is wrong with your mice. i dont want their keyboards these days since i have hyperspecific mechanical preferences, but i still love their mices. i have large, heavy hands, and they are large and built like bricks. i just wish they did remake g9x, knowing the fate of the old one i'd stockpile a couple of those for a decade in advace

the mx518 cables started having intermittent connection problems where they meet the mouse pcb, which was apparently a well-documented issue with them

no clue what's wrong with the revo but i'm guessing it's software

using a rat7 now and it seems to suit needs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you can always do it in software

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

but again, SHA2 requirements are only for PKI certs. This all should have been done through a private CA

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

the mx518 cables started having intermittent connection problems where they meet the mouse pcb, which was apparently a well-documented issue with them

yeah well documented issues seems to be a trope with logitech mice. g9x for example had negative accel that took a long rear end time to be fixed via firmware upgrade

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

flakeloaf posted:

Im the RAPID-FIRE.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Im the RAPID-FIRE.

they are decent mice, but the company is kill

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

haveblue posted:

I don't know what a "technology certificate license" is

it's probably a license for some extremely lovely idiotic patent like slide to unlock, and those can be expensive.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Im the RAPID-FIRE.

oh yeah it looks ridiculous, but it feels right and it just works

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

very important lesson re: logitech mice, don't ever install the software.

holy poo poo, amount of garbage they pack into that stuff is insane. want to re-map buttons? great well here's a half dozen different services and a complete explorer overhaul to add a bunch of fancy animations to the windows switcher that works less well than what was builtin in to begin with

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

very important lesson re: logitech mice, don't ever install the software.

holy poo poo, amount of garbage they pack into that stuff is insane. want to re-map buttons? great well here's a half dozen different services and a complete explorer overhaul to add a bunch of fancy animations to the windows switcher that works less well than what was builtin in to begin with

what the gently caress are you installing? lgs is a simple app that you open, click things, and close, and it never reminds you of itself

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the older versions of setpoint had exactly what i described, at least up to windows 7.

idk, i've never tried to install them after that because, holy poo poo, what a trashfire

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i thought i had a harmony link that i got earlier this year, but it turns out i have a harmony hub

the link was a $100 product that allowed you to use your iphone or ipad as a remote control. that's it. it's good that it's been discontinued.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 8, 2017

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what the gently caress are you installing? lgs is a simple app that you open, click things, and close, and it never reminds you of itself

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Logitech Drivers Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Use The HID Defaults Like Nigga Cancel The Install Haha

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How Can Drivers Be Real If Our Mice Aren't Real

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Logitech Drivers Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Use The HID Defaults Like Nigga Cancel The Install Haha

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chris Knight posted:

haveblue posted:

How Can Drivers Be Real If Our Mice Aren't Real

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the older versions of setpoint had exactly what i described, at least up to windows 7.

idk, i've never tried to install them after that because, holy poo poo, what a trashfire

im not sure i ever have installed setpoint, but all my logitech mices were ~gaming~

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

there was one thing i setup for dad's performance mx, but it was similar to lgs iirc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im not sure i ever have installed setpoint, but all my logitech mices were ~gaming~

setpoint was the only way to remap buttons and adjust dpi, etc. for a long time.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/h0t_max/status/928269320064450560

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

:rip:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

State actors are going to have a field day with that one

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

State actors have had a field day with that one

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

State actors are going to have a field day with that one

Well, the ones that didn't have an exploit already will.

e: I guess the ones that already have one will be more willing to go ham with it, since it's now less valuable to keep secret.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

What's the exploit they're talking about there?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmao :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

What's the exploit they're talking about there?

minix kernel running directly on the CPU that has effective access to everything, once you compromise it the whole chip is hosed and the system compromised. There is indicators that a flag exists to completely disable it per government spec but it hasn't been reversed yet.

• Locked thread