Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

That'd be too close to the DEldar Coven aesthetic, though.

Probably but Dark Eldar have always been dangerously close to Slaanesh's aesthetic and themes anyway. Given the background (slaanesh coming from the eldar) Slaanesh stuff should look like the Dark Eldar if the lost even the little bit of restraint they still have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So Pedro Kantor's model looks kinda boring to me. He just looks like a power fist captain with a banner. Any advice on modifying or proxying him?

Kinda want to use a bolstorm gauntlet for dorn's arrow.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

For_Great_Justice posted:

They ditch Slaanesh in 40k I'm out personally. They'd also have to adjust the entire Emporers' Children an Fulgrim somehow. I don't see how they could an messing with their cash cow is not a fantastic idea.

I'm getting some noise marines in my chaos force as of now but I'd think about buying new stuff if they did a DG level move.

They ain't getting rid of Slaanesh. Honestly, all the nerd tears about THE CENSORSHIP over Slaanesh's disappearance in AoS has been hilarious, it's the most obvious set up for a campaign storyline in a while.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

AnEdgelord posted:

I'd prefer a sort of androgynous "hellraiser" vibe. Lots of custom leather and exposed flesh that simultaneously implies sex and torture.

I was thinking this, with a mix of the custodes opulence. Pink and gold, garish spikes, leather straps, flowers and filigree. Like a Elizabeth Báthory de Ecsed vibe. Regal, beautiful, bloody and chaotic.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

chutche2 posted:

So Pedro Kantor's model looks kinda boring to me. He just looks like a power fist captain with a banner. Any advice on modifying or proxying him?

Same question but with Calgar.

I thought about trying to convert a Gravis Captain into a new Calgar by chopping off the sword army, and replacing it with an Aggressor arm.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

chutche2 posted:

I will paint this dude someday. Replaced the pistol on the fist with an actual stormbolter.

I did also get rid of those omegas at the end of the tabard. Also replaced the GS fist with an etched brass one. I think the pose of the captain actually works better for rallying w/ a banner than a sword.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd love to see Slaanesh go for royal decadence, full-on powdered wigs and ruffled collars.

Extrapolate the Masque's aesthetic to the whole faction.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I like the idea of Slaanesh ditching the sex stuff entirely and focusing on excess in general. Make everything androgenous and asexual, as if the followers have delved so far into hedonism and excess that they transcend traditional concepts of immoral behavior. Stuff like genetic modification to exaggerate features, splicing human and Xenos together, and taking one particular focus to an extreme.

Basically make Slaanesh cultists look down on Dark Eldar for not taking things far enough.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I like the idea of Slaanesh ditching the sex stuff entirely and focusing on excess in general. Make everything androgenous and asexual, as if the followers have delved so far into hedonism and excess that they transcend traditional concepts of immoral behavior. Stuff like genetic modification to exaggerate features, splicing human and Xenos together, and taking one particular focus to an extreme.

Basically make Slaanesh cultists look down on Dark Eldar for not taking things far enough.

So less scantily clad demons and more coke snorting bikers doing cool flips while on fire. I would like that.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
If they focused more on the fun times heavy metal party aspect I'd be ok with that rather than let them languish in purgatory.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

This is why all the anti Slaanesh talk is kind of a bummer because I view the Emperor's Children and Slaanesh very differently. More like an amalgamation of all 7 deadly sins.

All my Emperor's Children are pink and gold, my cultists are purple (because they never changed color schemes from when EC were loyalists) with at least one golden thing, be it a weapon, face mask, studs, something. They all also have something pink on their arms or hands to tie them to the legion. Most of the weapons are painted gold, like lightning claws and stuff because, it's much more satisfying to slice open loyalist scum with something beautiful.

My Fabius Bile is still painted (his left pauldron anyways) purple and gold because he doesn't give a gently caress about armor color, only performing experiments on someone. My Lucius is pink and silver for similar reasons, and to make him stand out a bit.

I'll post a few pics in a few.

Edit: This is all I have on me at the moment. Please excuse the varying stages of completeness.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 8, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cainer posted:

So less scantily clad demons and more coke snorting bikers doing cool flips while on fire. I would like that.

Yup. Maybe bikers who are surgically grafted to their bikes and/or are literal daemon bikes and run on space cocaine, spewing clouds of space coke dust behind them that give a movement bonus to anyone within 6". The drugs they use are so good that their waste still gets you high, and you end up with entire regiments running after them trying to get another hit of space crack exhaust.

Slaanesh isn't so much a pimp as the greatest drug pusher in the world.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FiestaNinja posted:

It'd be nice if they could imply the whole excess and hedonism aspect without just doing cheesy sex demons. Make daemonettes in to gluttonous fatty-monsters or something.

Or way more androgynous and weird like the crab-claw 2nd/3rd ed daemonettes.

They'll make daemonette sculpts where each one of the six deadly sins. The catch is they're sold in boxes of 10 and there's only 1 lust daemonette per box, forcing the desperate to buy multiple boxes to get the one figure they want to use.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think the sex stuff can stay but as a background element in a larger thematic tapestry (one of the deadly sins IS lust).

The god of hedonism and pleasure feels incomplete without at least SOME eroticism, but you can emphasize other things so that slaanesh has more depth than a 12 year old's conception of sex.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

AnEdgelord posted:

I think the sex stuff can stay but as a background element in a larger thematic tapestry (one of the deadly sins IS lust).

The god of hedonism and pleasure feels incomplete without at least SOME eroticism, but you can emphasize other things so that slaanesh has more depth than a 12 year old's conception of sex.

Warhammer 40,000: I think the sex stuff can stay

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This is why all the anti Slaanesh talk is kind of a bummer because I view the Emperor's Children and Slaanesh very differently. More like an amalgamation of all 7 deadly sins.

All my Emperor's Children are pink and gold, my cultists are purple (because they never changed color schemes from when EC were loyalists) with at least one golden thing, be it a weapon, face mask, studs, something. They all also have something pink on their arms or hands to tie them to the legion. Most of the weapons are painted gold, like lightning claws and stuff because, it's much more satisfying to slice open loyalist scum with something beautiful.

My Fabius Bile is still painted (his left pauldron anyways) purple and gold because he doesn't give a gently caress about armor color, only performing experiments on someone. My Lucius is pink and silver for similar reasons, and to make him stand out a bit.

I'll post a few pics in a few.

Edit: This is all I have on me at the moment. Please excuse the varying stages of completeness.

:sparkles:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

FiestaNinja posted:

It'd be nice if they could imply the whole excess and hedonism aspect without just doing cheesy sex demons. Make daemonettes in to gluttonous fatty-monsters or something.

Or way more androgynous and weird like the crab-claw 2nd/3rd ed daemonettes.

Well, the Chaos Marines Codex had a lot of interesting takes on Slaanesh worshippers. The big emphasis was excess of sensation: Noise Marines have supremely heightened senses but can only be satisfied by the loudest, craziest noises from the battlefield. Your Warlord can get extra attacks from the wounds they've taken because they get a sadomasochistic pleasure from pain. The Emperor's Children wear such garish colours because their eyesight has been enhanced and they demand the most stimulating colours possible.

They even get to the point where their armour fuses to them and they can feel what happens through it as though it's their skin, so you can imagine that Slaaneshi Hellbrutes might be the only ones not crazy from anger, but just loving the excess of feeling.

There's even a renegade band of Slaanesh followers who are into vore (:gonk:) because they invaded a demon world that was basically a giant fat man, who woke up, unleashed noise marines upon them, ate them, and regurgitated them back out to go and do the same to others. At least Space Marines get the whole "stealing memories from eating people" thing so it has some use I guess. . . .

I think we'll really see where they're going with Slaanesh with the Chaos Demons codex, which is coming January, right?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Xarlaxas posted:

Well, the Chaos Marines Codex had a lot of interesting takes on Slaanesh worshippers. The big emphasis was excess of sensation: Noise Marines have supremely heightened senses but can only be satisfied by the loudest, craziest noises from the battlefield. Your Warlord can get extra attacks from the wounds they've taken because they get a sadomasochistic pleasure from pain. The Emperor's Children wear such garish colours because their eyesight has been enhanced and they demand the most stimulating colours possible.

They even get to the point where their armour fuses to them and they can feel what happens through it as though it's their skin, so you can imagine that Slaaneshi Hellbrutes might be the only ones not crazy from anger, but just loving the excess of feeling.

There's even a renegade band of Slaanesh followers who are into vore (:gonk:) because they invaded a demon world that was basically a giant fat man, who woke up, unleashed noise marines upon them, ate them, and regurgitated them back out to go and do the same to others. At least Space Marines get the whole "stealing memories from eating people" thing so it has some use I guess. . . .

I think we'll really see where they're going with Slaanesh with the Chaos Demons codex, which is coming January, right?

I can't wait for the fursuit inflation Slaaneshi warband.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I'd love to see an Andrew WK emperor's children lord conversion

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Okay I want citation on Fat Man Planet because what.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

The Bee posted:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Oliensis

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nipples bother me so much that I file them off all my models

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

:wtc:

Oddly this reminds me of that planet that is a green lantern of some sort. Just a giant head in space doing stuff.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

The Bee posted:

p.53 of the latest Chaos Codex has the story, and the renegade chapter are called the "Corpus Brethren."

SteelMentor posted:

I can't wait for the fursuit inflation Slaaneshi warband.

If someone hasn't done it yet, someone will, someday soon. . . . :v:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

For_Great_Justice posted:

:wtc:

Oddly this reminds me of that planet that is a green lantern of some sort. Just a giant head in space doing stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5cFW0yd9lE

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Field testing of new craftworlds codex continues to go well - I played against a Ynnarri army that’s been the bogeyman of the local club’s meta game and beat it handily.

This was helped a lot by the fact that I had a decent number of dark reapers against shadow spectres as the opponents shooting core - ignoring the hit modifiers makes them go squish.

Webway striking guardians really came into their own this time - turned up, wiped a hundred point unit of harlequins then next turn zoomed 20 inches thanks to using the auto max advance stratagem in the movement phase followed by quicken in the psychic phase to surround the (Doomed) Yncarne and take out most of his wounds in a hail of shuriken fire, allowing some swooping hawks and dire avengers to finish the job.

My opponents d-scythe wraithguard (2 units) chewed through a reasonable number of things on one flank, but my opponent conceded at the end of my third shooting phase when it was literally just six of those models staring across a reasonably large gap at the remaining ~800 points of my army squatting on the objectives.

Webway strike continues to be nonsense. The stratagem allowing a round of shooting from a unit against an appearing unit is also great - my opponent used webway strike/quicken to zoom one of the wraithguard units right next to my fire prism on the first turn (and then destroyed it with them plus reapers in the shooting phase), but it managed to blow up two wraithguard with a lucky 3 shot dispersed blast, which seriously neutered them for the rest of the game (very important against Ynnarri). The auto 6 advance one was today’s all star though - the ability to suddenly add supreme mobility on an infantry unit is an amazing thing to have in your back pocket for emergencies.

Finally remembered my serpent shields too, and they did some serious work on my second turn, most notably a lucky three wound one freeing my small unit of dark reapers from combat and allowing them to shoot (though they then did nothing).

Overall, the handsome, sophisticated space elves of Biel Tan won a glorious victory against shameful Craftworld ruining Ynnarri scoundrels. I love my codex and it loves me.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I've been seeing guardians with Protect being used to really jam the place up. 20 man blob using the 4++ stratagem to get a 3++, advancing down the field blasting stuff with catapults is pretty tough to deal with. The weapon platforms get a 2+/3++. Doom + biel tan makes them deadly as hell. Won't work vs something like nids or berzerkers though since it's only vs shooting.

Quick question: Say I have a devastator squad with 3 lascannons and a missile launcher, they all shoot at a flyer to try and bring it down. I roll the lascannons first, then the missile. Flakk missiles say that just before the model attacks you use the stratagem, does that mean I have to use it when I declare all the shooting or just before I actually roll the shot, letting me not spend the CP if I kill it with the lascannons? And is it worth trying for the mortal wounds instead of just having a fourth lascannon?

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 9, 2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm OK with Slaanesh being all about drugs and excess and guys on fire riding motorcycles and basically just being a massive homage to 80s hair metal music videos

The problem is that Games Workshop fluff writers have about as much subtlety as a hydrogen bomb and cannot be trusted to even make a remote reference to lust or desire in any way shape or form

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

I’ve certainly been using the celestial shroud, combining with protect is an interesting idea (in my head invulnerable can’t get modifiers but no cover bonus != no bonus ever). I will have to add that to my repertoire of ways to lose friends.

I’ve been running no platforms webway striking rather than foot slogging with platforms because for Biel Tan the platforms don’t add that much killing power for 15 points each as a guardian has to fire them (also partially because I only have one platform model). Cp is a resource I have in spades, 30 points is half an avenger unit!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

One_Wing posted:

I’ve certainly been using the celestial shroud, combining with protect is an interesting idea (in my head invulnerable can’t get modifiers but no cover bonus != no bonus ever). I will have to add that to my repertoire of ways to lose friends.

I’ve been running no platforms webway striking rather than foot slogging with platforms because for Biel Tan the platforms don’t add that much killing power for 15 points each as a guardian has to fire them (also partially because I only have one platform model). Cp is a resource I have in spades, 30 points is half an avenger unit!

The platforms are there to take hits more than to shoot with tbh. Having 2 wounds with a 3+ (2+) armor save is a pretty nice survivability hike on turns that you're not using the invuln. The extra range helps too from what I saw, in a 20 model footslogging unit the guys in the back are often out of range with catapults but can shoot the cannon.

Cover bonus is specifically an armor bonus, Protect is a saves bonus.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

chutche2 posted:

The platforms are there to take hits more than to shoot with tbh. Having 2 wounds with a 3+ (2+) armor save is a pretty nice survivability hike on turns that you're not using the invuln. The extra range helps too from what I saw, in a 20 model footslogging unit the guys in the back are often out of range with catapults but can shoot the cannon.

Cover bonus is specifically an armor bonus, Protect is a saves bonus.

Yeah I understand the point, the fact that I’m warping in and thus don’t need to survive a turn of footslogging and usually start in range are the main reasons not to take them. You’ve convinced me to try adding one next time though, a 2+ flak shield against small arms is a nice bonus to have, and the times the unit has died have just been to massed lasguns or equivalent.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
That's fair yeah. The guy I play against uses his CP to webway in fire dragons, and sticks guardians out in front of his army to protect the avatar and warlocks and poo poo from shooting.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Wow. 40k lore never fails to surprise me with how odd it gets.

So, when's the official Oliensis battle board?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

The Bee posted:

Wow. 40k lore never fails to surprise me with how odd it gets.

So, when's the official Oliensis battle board?

Soon, but until then just chloroform the nearest neckbeard you can find and play on their naked body*

Please don't actually do this, neckbeard grease is known to strip paint.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Booley posted:

My store's Armies on Parade was last night with about 10 entries. Other than youngbloods/first army, some amazing tyranids took first in every category. I'll just link an album to avoid inlining a ton of photos:

https://imgur.com/a/eLNjT

Is that the Lynnwood store?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

That is so loving hilarious and dumb in all the best ways

Are there any other silly daemon worlds like that

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Booyah- posted:

I'm just really bad at figuring out where the shadows and highlights should go on folded cloth. Does anyone know of a decent explanation of this? I can copy what people do for an individual mini but adapting that without an example is the tough part.

Do you have a desk lamp? Hold your mini under it to see where highlights go. It's basically a cheat (and how I highlighted my orks skin).

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

LordAba posted:

Do you have a desk lamp? Hold your mini under it to see where highlights go. It's basically a cheat (and how I highlighted my orks skin).

Do this, and convert the photo to black and white. Helps a ton.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

goose willis posted:

That is so loving hilarious and dumb in all the best ways

Are there any other silly daemon worlds like that

There were some fun ones in the old (criminally underappreciated) Black Crusade RPG that FFG put out. I remeber one where 1/4 of the surface was under the sway of a different Chaos God and their area of control rotated around the planet, first Tzeentch created elaborate magical landscapes and made living beings, second went khorne whose daemons and warriors scoured the area in a massive tide or forced what beings they found to fight along side them, then came Slaanesh whose Daemons drew away the warriors with promises of infinite pleasures but then cast them aside utterly broken once they were done with them, finally came Nurgle who came to the victims of Slaanesh in their final moment of despair and poisoned the landscape completely and utterly until it was little more than a toxic soup. Then it started again as Tzeentch was the only one who could make anything out of the ruined landscape of Nurgle's surface and started the cycle all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

GreenMarine posted:

Is that the Lynnwood store?

Yes, do you play there?