Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Soricidus posted:

where’s the half assed latex reimplementation in nodejs with json syntax and a bootstrap homepage describing it as minimal and beautiful

Html5 and it's super old news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i haven't done any web dev in almost a decade. what's a good framework to use if i want to run a small site where i just code simple games for people to play as a hobby

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
maybe try out Gatsby. it’s a static site generator that uses React for its rendering. I’m not sure what you want the framework for specifically? (as in, what functionality from web dev?)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Rex-Goliath posted:

i haven't done any web dev in almost a decade. what's a good framework to use if i want to run a small site where i just code simple games for people to play as a hobby

use node.js, op

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
C++ and crosspile it to web assembly.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol Google just announced Colaboratory, a free cloud-hosted jupyter notebook environment. What a fascinating idea. I bet no other major software company has ever thought of offing a free cloud hosted jupyter notebook environment before; this really shows that Google is an exciting and dynamic company that is coming up with original new ideas all the time.

Also, there's a waitlist to sign up so you'd better put in your name now if you want to have a chance to use it before it gets shut down.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

i don't know how they compare to latex or to each other, but there's a bunch of xml-based typesetting programs and sysrems

a combination of xslt and xslfo actually seems not terrible tbh so of course it's deprecated and just use html5 and css3 it's the future maaaaaaan :jerkbag:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
then again i've got better things to do than come up with my own document schema that basically boils down to "headings, tables, figures, and paragraphs, but pointlessly different to everyone else's for some reason"

maybe xml docbook and just write your own xsl stylesheets for that idk. gently caress.

and you're still hosed if you want to typeset math

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Sapozhnik posted:

xslt and xslfo actually seems not terrible tbh so of course it's deprecated

wait what

mystes
May 31, 2006

just use DSSSL

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ShimaTetsuo posted:

latex is great if you want something to look "nice" and you're not picky about which version of "nice" you need
kinda agreed. my standard are "looks clean, figures are on the right pages", so it works out

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

Lol Google just announced Colaboratory, a free cloud-hosted jupyter notebook environment. What a fascinating idea. I bet no other major software company has ever thought of offing a free cloud hosted jupyter notebook environment before; this really shows that Google is an exciting and dynamic company that is coming up with original new ideas all the time.

Also, there's a waitlist to sign up so you'd better put in your name now if you want to have a chance to use it before it gets shut down.

Google has more computers than God and loving uptime ninjas

A fact that might be of importance if you do numerical poo poo all day every day

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

If you mean sharing games you made, just toss them on itch.io and call it a day, no framework necessary

If you really wanna host your own thing use a static site generator like hugo

If you mean framework for making games, uhh, no idea

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Arcsech posted:

for web games the big name is phaser, the anticipated big name is defold. then there're things like impactjs, haxeflixel, etc

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

xslt is pretty cool, once you get over the fact that it is verbose as gently caress

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

It's official, "LaTeX" is pronounced "lay-tekt".

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

tef posted:

you mean in ocaml

you mean in Haskell

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Rex-Goliath posted:

write the games in native code and just throw together a couple KB static site

mystes
May 31, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Google has more computers than God and loving uptime ninjas

A fact that might be of importance if you do numerical poo poo all day every day
I'm not sure what you're saying. Do you mean that Azure Notebooks has poor uptime, creating a niche for this Google version? Or that Google's uptime ninjas need to use Jupyter for their own purposes?

Since it's free, it will probably have similar limits to Azure Notebooks, making it not suitable for really CPU-intensive computations. (If they were serious about it, a paid service might actually make more sense.)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Arcsech posted:

yeah for making them. they’d be visually simple as I plan on starting on basic things like battleship or chess or whatever. it’s more because I’ve always liked coding up AIs to play games like that and would like to have a place I could let other people play against them

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

mystes posted:

i thought their gimmick here was not jupyter, but jupyter + hosted tensorflow?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

a combination of xslt and xslfo actually seems not terrible tbh so of course it's deprecated and just use html5 and css3 it's the future maaaaaaan :jerkbag:

they aren't deprecated, they're feature complete. also, use openxml.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
html and css are not suitable for document rendering.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the xsl:fo working group has disbanded, Apache FOP ceased development like 4 years ago and is really bitrotted, it's loving dead

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if its got all the features you need then who cares?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

mystes posted:

Since it's free... (If they were serious about it, a paid service might actually make more sense.)

found the reason google will kill it off in a year or two

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i'm still bitter about google reader

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

redleader posted:

i'm still bitter about google reader

i was very bitter but inoreader has grown on me well enough i dont even reminisce of old days

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

xslt 3 became a w3c recommendation in june this year, to my considerable surprise

it's a pity that ms stopped giving a poo poo about xslt after v1, because 2+ have some hella neato features

xpath is good. xslt is good. xml is good. these are good because they are designed by adults

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah for making them. they’d be visually simple as I plan on starting on basic things like battleship or chess or whatever. it’s more because I’ve always liked coding up AIs to play games like that and would like to have a place I could let other people play against them

http://elm-lang.org:1234/examples/mario

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

redleader posted:

xslt is pretty cool, once you get over the fact that it is verbose as gently caress

it's cool up to a point

the problem is that there was apparently a period of time where xml was the hot cool new thing to do, so basically everything that's actually been done with xsl turns out to be an unmaintainable nightmare written in 2003

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

mystes posted:

also microsoft has a more featureful version of this on azure https://notebooks.azure.com/

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

this is perfect thanks

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

c tp s: long running mysterious bug of some rare cases of an app ending up in an invalid state traced to a typo in my api

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The joys of programming: time zones and character encoding. Reuters is pathetic at dumping random HTML entity encoded HTML in news stories but at least they had one standard character encoding scheme, RMTES, a pre-Unicode thing. Now I'm looking at Dow Jones news and drat :catdrugs:, I'm seeing multiple text encodings on the same feed(~20 ISO 8859-x in 10,000 UTF-8), a random sprinkling of HTML entities (2 in 10,000), and finally random complete garbage encoding (1 in 10,000): 4-bytes for "é".

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/joe_jag/status/510048646482894848?lang=en

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah i thought about it a lot while reading house of suns and it's basically an impossible problem.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

actual question, does anyone know if any implementations of EXI for C/C++ or C#/.NET are any good

guy at work is proposing that for long term storage format for data we're working with and it looks like a good fit in theory

• Locked thread