Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is volcel Picard falling for this new commander? Impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The acting direction is really weird this episode, every exchange is a little awkward like the actors don't know what they're supposed to be feeling

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pieces of Peace posted:

Also Jesus Christ, is anyone else completely unable to follow the Klingon subplot? It's simultaneously jumping ahead too fast and providing absolutely no personality or likability for any of the characters.

Unspoilered this because I don't think it needs it.

I like the show, but I am also completely unable to follow any of the Klingon politics stuff. All the characters look exactly the same, they can't make any facial expressions under all that rubber glued to their faces, and all their dialogue is this weird stilted ritualistic fantasy poo poo right out of a bad 80s sword-and-sorcery movie. After this week's episode I said to myself I'm going to have to read the wiki on all these Klingon characters to find out who is doing what to whom and why I should care.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"I've never seen a flute like that."
"They're not made anymore"

Hnk

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Unspoilered this because I don't think it needs it.

I like the show, but I am also completely unable to follow any of the Klingon politics stuff. All the characters look exactly the same, they can't make any facial expressions under all that rubber glued to their faces, and all their dialogue is this weird stilted ritualistic fantasy poo poo right out of a bad 80s sword-and-sorcery movie. After this week's episode I said to myself I'm going to have to read the wiki on all these Klingon characters to find out who is doing what to whom and why I should care.

There are basically just 4 Klingon characters, 3, minus T'Kuvma and they look nothing alike. I don't get how people find it complicated.

You can't differentiate between a female Klingon, a male albino Klingon, and a male Klingon with facepaint?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The unrollable keyboard is cool but I feel like we probably have those now

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Klingon stuff in Discovery isn’t that hard to follow, it’s just boring, stilted, badly plotted, and badly acted. And the most/only appealing character in it is Voq who has been AWOL for like a month.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is volcel Picard falling for this new commander? Impossible

He's not volcel, he's just a busy man who like his privacy! :colbert:

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The unrollable keyboard is cool but I feel like we probably have those now

Yea, we do.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Honor Among Thieves

Yay random noir crime drama starring O'Brien. Not really my thing and I still don't understand why O'Brien was sent on this mission, but O'Brien Must Suffer.

I've been compiling a list of Deep Space Nine episodes and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episodes to recommend as I go along, and I suppose I'm obligated to include an O'Brien Must Suffer episode in one or both lists.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

There are basically just 4 Klingon characters, 3, minus T'Kuvma and they look nothing alike. I don't get how people find it complicated.

You can't differentiate between a female Klingon, a male albino Klingon, and a male Klingon with facepaint?

It's not that I can't, it's that their motivations are so unclear and the performances are so devoid of emotion or meaning that I have a hard time bothering about who is on whose side and why.

Maybe I'm just dumb or something, like I'm gonna read the wiki and try so I don't miss something later, but every time a Klingon starts bloviating about their sacred sarcophagus filled with the hallowèd bones of their glorious ancestors whose ghostly hearts still beat with the music of what it means to be Klingon or whatever I mentally check out until suddenly someone is beaming someone onto an abandoned ship or stabbing someone and I'm all "wait huh"

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

If they did an episode without a conflict that'd be interesting and experimental but I put the chance of that at 00.5%

I remember a few times watching tng episodes that would seem to take a ludicrous amount of time before clarifying what the conflict of the episode is

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This direction's really grating on me

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

If they did an episode without a conflict that'd be interesting and experimental but I put the chance of that at 00.5%

Data's Day is basically this, unless you consider the whole "will O'brien get married" part a conflict.

Oh wait, they have a standoff with a Romulan ship in that ep, so I guess that counts as conflict.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I remember a few times watching tng episodes that would seem to take a ludicrous amount of time before clarifying what the conflict of the episode is

This is definitely one of those

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

That's some nice music though.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The flute reminds me of the Titanic for some reason but I forgive it

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The mysterious music drifting through the ship moment was kind of beautiful

OH poo poo

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard you idiot, don't share important songs with your SO or they'll be ruined when you break up, and this is the most important song in the galaxy

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Seems like maybe The Inner Light would be as close as they ever got. Only conflict IIRC is the peril of whether the crew can revive Jean Luc, and maybe some really light interpersonal stuff on Planet Past.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

And there's the first rumbling of problems. This is ironic because I had a coworker who loved TNG and he got involved with someone else there. That actually worked out though, as far as I know

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Are teal and light blue separate types of uniform or is Crusher's just faded

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Seems like maybe The Inner Light would be as close as they ever got. Only conflict IIRC is the peril of whether the crew can revive Jean Luc, and maybe some really light interpersonal stuff on Planet Past.

The Visitor comes to mind.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This thing they're proposing is so insanely dangerous

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Are teal and light blue separate types of uniform or is Crusher's just faded

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/90274/meaning-of-uniform-color-in-star-trek-voyager

quote:

Color Inconsistency (Blue vs. Green):

Lastly, when discussing the difference in TNG-era costumes, it's important to note that the actual shades used in the uniforms on-screen are inconsistent. Although Sciences blue is generally depicted as a deep blue, it is also sometimes seen as more of a teal color. The image below compares the two side-by-side. This is most likely due to minor differences in the fabric/dye used for the costume, but individuals with blue-yellow tritanopia may have difficulty with the two different shades of blue. It doesn't help that darker lighting in certain scenes can make the teal version appear greener than it actually is.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cythereal posted:

The Visitor comes to mind.

"In the Cards," if you don't count the eternal conflict with the Soulless Minions of Orthodoxy.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh GOD is she going to DIE

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

She can't possibly survive the dangerous plan that I don't really understand.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
The exocomp episode takes a really long time to get to the main conflict. I love episodes like this tho because I like watching while half awake

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Not bad

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

They've got a problem

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They've got a problem

Picard will solve it.

Check out the beat while the DJ revolves it. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

On my Federation characters in Star Trek Online this is what compelled me to say gently caress it, each department gets its own color. Science in real green, medical in blue, engineering in gold, security in black, tactical in red, command in white.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Dammit why can't they remote control that poo poo

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

The exocomp episode takes a really long time to get to the main conflict. I love episodes like this tho because I like watching while half awake

Sometimes I wish somebody would make a megacut of TNG episodes edited down to conflict-free sci-fi dialogue for me to watch in my tripped-out, half-asleep, semi-dreaming state

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Whoa she did survive

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Well it's a relief that he didn't let that music die. I was yelling at him when he closed the flute box for not heeding my warning.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Oh are you watching a Picard romance episode? Those all suck balls.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

dont even fink about it posted:

Oh are you watching a Picard romance episode? Those all suck balls.

This one was a mixed bag because it had the annoying direction I mentioned and also sloppy writing that made the whole thing where the love interest almost died feel contrived, but also good music and burning planet effects.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Change of Heart

Everyone loves Dax, right?

...Right?!

Oh.

Well, that was pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's weird that the Borg kidnapped 7 of 9 in order to force her to help them figure out how to assimilate Earth because the obvious answer is "try sending more than 1 cube next time".

Every time they assimilate a delta quadrant species like 50 cubes show up and start owning everyone and we're going to find out later they have a transwarp conduit that goes right into the Sol System so

E: Also I don't understand why Seven let herself be captured. Okay yeah the Queen called her up to say "we know Voyager is going to try to steal a transwarp coil and we'll assimilate them when they do unless you surrender yourself" but why would she not immediately warn Janeway to abort the mission and continue on. We already know the Borg can't be trusted so there's no reason to assume they wouldn't just assimilate Voyager anyway once she surrendered, but also it turns out they're planning forcing Seven to help them attack earth so what's the point of saving Voyager in the short term if they're just gonna run into a Borg-occupied Earth and get assimilated later no matter what.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 9, 2017