Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

but bill actually tried to assuage the economic worries of working class voters and tried to relate to them???

I meant more for that specific tactic, not the entire campaign.

Bill also has a natural 18 in Charisma whereas Hillary used it as a dump stat. :rolldice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

idk youd have to live in some ivory tower bubble to not understand why maga resonated as a campaign slogan and then counter with something so out of touch with american life lol

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

idk youd have to live in some ivory tower bubble to not understand why maga resonated as a campaign slogan and then counter with something so out of touch with american life lol

I mean, I only have a bachelor's degree in Marketing and even I knew the slogan would play a shitload better as "She's With Us" instead of "I'm With Her"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

This is within driving distance of me

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WampaLord posted:

I mean, I only have a bachelor's degree in Marketing and even I knew the slogan would play a shitload better as "She's With Us" instead of "I'm With Her"

I had some whackadoo on Twitter get really mad at me today for asking why the left should support a party that doesn't represent their views and explaining that supporting politicians who represent you is literally the fundamental idea behind politics

So the slogan worked just only on brainworms

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
oh my god

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
mods rename everyone else Cozy Bear

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You should never trust a bear

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

just a reminder that the dnc actively refused to let the Obama FBI or DHS look into their hacked servers after the wikileaks dnc leak

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

lol

umm im sorry agent whats-your-name but i ran windows defender and didnt find anything

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

OatmealRaisin posted:

my understanding is he's been blowing lawn clippings and poo poo into his neighbor's yard for years and the guy snapped and fuckin speared rand through a fence

Why wouldn't Rand just not blow clippings into his neighbor's yard?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

libertarian

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

libertarian

That's my point. It's his neighbor's yard. It is his neighbor's private property.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's my point. It's his neighbor's yard. It is his neighbor's private property.

lol

why would you think libertarians care about anyone else

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

lol

why would you think libertarians care about anyone else

Libertarians have strong values and beliefs. Particularly in respecting others rights to personal freedoms.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

WampaLord posted:

"I'm With Her" is the more appropriate slogan because it focuses the Clinton campaign's signature issue which was Hillary Clinton (viz. her qualifications, etc).

Didn't this already get reported? I feel like I remember reading a story about an FBI agent knowing for like six months but spending that time trying to get in contact with someone who had any authority for months.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

Libertarians have strong values and beliefs. Particularly in respecting others rights to personal freedoms.

their explicit ideology is "everyone look out for themselves first and foremost, that's how we ensure social stability"

this expressly does not include "look out for others", they determine social stability by everyone pursuing active interest in themselves and an equilibrium naturally emerging from that

paul's neighbor spearing him into his driveway is libertarian as hell because it explicitly means that rand paul in the future will think more carefully about infringing upon the rights of others lest he suffer consequences

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

punk rebel ecks posted:

Libertarians have strong values and beliefs. Particularly in respecting others their right to personal freedoms.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

wrong

they respect their own rights to personal freedoms

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
the only strong beliefs libertarians have is whatever rationalizes them literally stealing poo poo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

libertarianism, almost by sheer definition, and absolutely by the definition laid out by noted author Ayn Rand, is defined by a lack of empathy for others

its core argument is that if everyone, every single last person, participates in libertarianism, society will be ideal. until everyone joins the ring, however, then any exploiting of others is permitted because the exploited were too foolish to know that they should be advocating for themselves as strongly as possible, by whatever means necessary

obviously anyone with an ounce of empathy (or even common sense) can see how rapidly this breaks down, and how easy it is to justify committing atrocity in the name of self-interest, but my man it is not remotely aberrational for rand paul to be spraying grass halves into his neighbor's lawn

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

just a reminder that the dnc actively refused to let the Obama FBI or DHS look into their hacked servers after the wikileaks dnc leak

and the only people they did let in were a private company with close ties to the clintons and a financial incentive to blame the Russians

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

see also: calvinism, the driving force behind american prosperity gospel and justifying sociopathy with religion that wears the skin of other sects who ostensibly make it a point to outright tell you that sort of thing is heretical

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
if he didn't want those clippings on his yard he should've bought a wall

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

does rand paul still have thay fake board of opthamology that he made up because he didnt want to submit the the real board of opthamology

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I think you guys aren't showing libertarianism the respect it deserves. It's a legitimate political philosophy.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ScrubLeague posted:

the only strong beliefs libertarians have is whatever rationalizes them literally stealing poo poo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

I think you guys aren't showing libertarianism the respect it deserves. It's a legitimate political philosophy.

radical me-- wait...

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

for me to poop on

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

punk rebel ecks posted:

https://i.imgur.com/SkpZhSy.gifv

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

you’re history’s greatest monster

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

if someone just happens to spew pollution into someone else's property it's their right, but the polluter and the offended also have the right to enter a private binding arbitration court to settle their dispute like civilized human beings assuming of course that the polluter and offended parties entered such a civil agreement beforehand and also that there is a private police force that either the polluter or offended are also paying for or some other benefactor in the wider society to enforce such civil judgments decreed by the aforementioned private binding arbitration courts

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
you're going to Jail, sponsored by Taser brand tasers

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is a man not entitled to the sweat from his brow? 'No!' says the HOA in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

see also: calvinism, the driving force behind american prosperity gospel and justifying sociopathy with religion that wears the skin of other sects who ostensibly make it a point to outright tell you that sort of thing is heretical

The whole point of predeterminism is that it's impossible to know who will be saved, and only God could possibly know. Being a faithful member of the church isn't even any kind of guarantee, because logically speaking the world's events are all predetermined if God is truly omniscient and omnipotent.

The way Americans pervert this is by being an ocean away from all the official religious authorities of the continent, which makes it easier for American religious hucksters to syncretize bits of other sects to justify their own grift. The notion that material prosperity is a sign that you're for sure blessed by God and will be saved is absolutely heretical, even from an officially Calvinist standpoint.

Even Young Earth Creationism is the product of a fringe heresy made popular by American Baptists for purely political motives. Young Earth Creationism was something that only 7th Day Adventists believed in until the 1960s, and now it's impossible to be a member of any church without knowing somebody that absolutely takes it as a fact - unless the religious authority explicitly put their foot down about YEC being a bunch of hooey. American Protestantism is thoroughly corrupted by political ideology.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

I get what you're trying to say, that Rand Paul should have respected his neighbor's property rights (by not blowing leaves into their yard) because property rights are one thing that libertarians are supposed to respect, but this assumes that libertarianism (at least in the American incarnation) is not a disingenuous ideology in the first place.

The ideologically consistent response in this case would be "yes, Paul's neighbor did own the yard, but it's also the neighbor's responsibility to protect their own yard from Paul trying to blow clippings into it. If the neighbor knew that Paul was blowing clippings into it, but did not enforce their ownership of the yard, then they gave up that right"

In the event, those rights were protected, in the form of Paul getting his rear end kicked.

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 08:31 on Nov 9, 2017

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The neighbor has overcome my final line of defense, and now he plans to murder me. In the end what separates a man from a slave? Money? Power? No, a man chooses, and a slave picks up lawn clippings!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EHlkAgWk6w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

logikv9 posted:

you're going to Jail, sponsored by Taser brand tasers

"The gently caress I am!" sponsored by GunCo brand guns.

• Locked thread