Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Turkeybone posted:

Will hit up the thread for "lesser" cities, but here too want to see if anyone has recommendations for places to eat/drink in Oslo? Going for a weekend.

Egon :effort:

There's Mathallen in Grünerlokka (also close to Tim Wendelboe's if coffee is your thing) which has a bunch of interesting looking stuff.

The cafe by the cathedral/bazaar was quite nice too, but want anything earth shattering. Don't get the lemonade, it's not that great.

E: there's also a place by Holmenkollen ski jump that looked really busy for lunch time on a weekday, but unsure of it's actually good or just had a nice sunny patio.
EE: it's just called Holmenkollen Restaurant, apparently. You walk past it going between the train station and ski jump.

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I asked my well-meaning boyfriend to get me some dried fruit and he got freeze dried instead. Is there anything I can do with it? I find the texture too unpleasant to eat it as a snack. The only thing I've come up with is to pulverize it and mix with white chocolate to make truffle fillings or something. I've got blueberries, mangos, and strawberries.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

legendof posted:

I asked my well-meaning boyfriend to get me some dried fruit and he got freeze dried instead. Is there anything I can do with it? I find the texture too unpleasant to eat it as a snack. The only thing I've come up with is to pulverize it and mix with white chocolate to make truffle fillings or something. I've got blueberries, mangos, and strawberries.

Rehyrdrate it, then dehydrate it. You'll redehydrated food, which is gonna be the next big food fad.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Freeze-dried is (typically) intended to be re-hydrated. Soak some in a bowl of water for a while - try an hour.

Alternatively, they rehydrate quite well in hot water. Make a hot breakfast with rice and your dehydrated fruit, use more water than you'd normally need for the rice and add plenty of sugar. My all-dehydrated-all-the-time recipe book for canoe trips is at home and I'm procrastinating at work, otherwise I'd post the recipe. It's pretty easy, from memory it's just some rice, some sweetness, and some dehydrated fruit simmered for like 20 minutes.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

ExecuDork posted:

Freeze-dried is (typically) intended to be re-hydrated. Soak some in a bowl of water booze for a while - try an hour.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So I want to make a big batch of congee then freeze it, but don't want to use up a whole fuckload of my tupperware to do so. I'm planning on buying more soon, but in the interim, is there a decent method to store congee with like, saran wrap or something? Freeze it in a tupperware, pop it out then saran wrap it? Forgive me if this is a dumb question(it is).

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Johnny Truant posted:

So I want to make a big batch of congee then freeze it, but don't want to use up a whole fuckload of my tupperware to do so. I'm planning on buying more soon, but in the interim, is there a decent method to store congee with like, saran wrap or something? Freeze it in a tupperware, pop it out then saran wrap it? Forgive me if this is a dumb question(it is).
Buy a bunch of delitainers, use them.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Johnny Truant posted:

Ziplock bags?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

do you guys put salt in the water before you cook rice

Anything but. I'll add chicken broth or bouillon or some instant dashi or a hunk of kombu to the water cuz they're all a lot more interesting than salt.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

And make sure to get the freezer safe kind.

The 16oz/pint ones are a good size for lunches

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

And make sure to get the freezer safe kind.

The 16oz/pint ones are a good size for lunches

They're also cheap enough that if you take a curry or something that stains the gently caress outta it or has lingering flavor you can toss it and be out like 15 cents.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

SubG posted:

I'm so thankful to finally have a name for these. They've been the only tupperware-alike allowed in my kitchen for over a decade, and I've been calling them "chinese soup" and "large chinese soup."

To be honest, I think we'll probably still call them that.

Edit: also, we probably have super cancer from BPA and phthalates. Freaking frogs gay.

moller fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 6, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Turtlicious posted:

You make aioli, which is basically mayonnaise for normal people who aren't white.

2 garlic cloves
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
A can of chipotle peppers, drained. (Looks like this)

Cook your garlic with your chipotle peppers, cut it up fine, cook it in the vegetable oil
Get your lemon juice and mustard, beat that poo poo with the eggs
Slowly emmulsify (That means it like your dick) until it goes creamy
If it seperates, beat it some more.
Slowly (like a few drops, maybe a quick splash, don't rush it or I will laugh at you,) add some more oil
Keep going until you are out of Oil, all the flavor is gonna come from the garlic and the chipotle, so get that in there first.

It's a pain in the rear end, so that's the bare minimum you need to make a bit, do 1/4 cup oil per egg yolk. It last for like two weeks before you need to start smelling it.

You could probably do it a lot easier in a food processor, but I'm a classically trained french chef, and I'm not about to go on some low end cuisinart poo poo, work your arm out aioli has like a bagillion calories. That being said, still go slow pouring the oil, if you go to fast (add the oil all at once) you're going to have lovely seperated mayo, and I will laugh at you again.

If it comes out too thick, pour in some of that adobo sauce, or more oil, I'm not your mother live your life the way that makes you happy.

e: editted to be more clear, you're gonna have to beat the poo poo out of that sauce.

Can I use a blender or a hand mixer instead of a food processor? I don’t have a food processor right now and I can’t afford to buy one.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
It should work fine but you'll want to mince the hell out of all ingredients first.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I honestly just do the hand blender strat and don't move the thing up until the stuff is minced. Basically no prep. I've never been able to make a mayo with my Vitamix of all things.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Excuse me, the classically trained franch chef said it must be done by hand, lest you spoil the sanctity of the chipotle mayo by using low end cuisinart poo poo.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
As a thank you for babysitting, my girlfriend and I were given a bunch of frozen steaks! Good ones! We got four strips and six filets, the filets all at least 2" thick, I think they're USDA choice. I made two of the filets today. Salt/pepper, sear, 500 degree oven, pulled em at 130, finished with a little butter in the pan.

They were so loving boring! We usually buy ribeyes because of the fat and the flavor. These were super tender, sure, but the taste was utterly unremarkable and it made me sad.

Is there anything cool and or interesting we can do with these? I was toying with the idea of doing little wellingtons, but if you guys have any ideas I'd really love an excuse not to have to gently caress with duxelles and puff pastry on a weeknight

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Filet is boring. Make a pepper cream sauce with brandy?

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

taqueso posted:

I use my instant pot style cooker with less than 1 cup of water all the time. You can get a lot of water from the food in the cooker. You just don't want it to run out of water to turn into steam. 2 cups is a very conservative safety number. For something like eggs, you won't get any water from the food of course, but you also don't need 2 cups unless you are going to cook for a looong time and run out of water.

Okay cool, good to know, thank you :).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tired Moritz posted:

Nah. The stuff I put on my rice is usually salty enough.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casu Marzu posted:

Anyone that comes into a thread all OH HEY I'M A CHEFFY CHEF like you did is automatically a huge douche and perpetuates the stereotype of the lovely cook that worships No Reservations.

It's kinda like vegans, but somehow worse attitudes.

Oh poo poo, my bad, I was trying to ape the style of those swear-y image macros?

Tired Moritz posted:

I do not, I've heard that salt rushes the breaking down of the starch, which is good for Caramelization, but not great for rice.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Can I use a blender or a hand mixer instead of a food processor? I don’t have a food processor right now and I can’t afford to buy one.

You can use a handmixer for sure, or an immersion blender would work too. I was just being a bit of a tart.

Stalizard posted:

As a thank you for babysitting, my girlfriend and I were given a bunch of frozen steaks! Good ones! We got four strips and six filets, the filets all at least 2" thick, I think they're USDA choice. I made two of the filets today. Salt/pepper, sear, 500 degree oven, pulled em at 130, finished with a little butter in the pan.

They were so loving boring! We usually buy ribeyes because of the fat and the flavor. These were super tender, sure, but the taste was utterly unremarkable and it made me sad.

Is there anything cool and or interesting we can do with these? I was toying with the idea of doing little wellingtons, but if you guys have any ideas I'd really love an excuse not to have to gently caress with duxelles and puff pastry on a weeknight

I'd recommend a sauce of some kind, most filets (hell a lot of beef) has what most would call a generic "beef" flavor. My personal favorite is an Au Poivre sauce. Basically a kind of creamy buttery wine sauce with some spices to pump it up.

I prefer using white wine in my cooking, but that's a personal preference, you could also use Cognac, or some other type of brandy. When funds are low, I get the 10$ boxed wine, because it can still punch up some dishes.

This recipe is... guesstimated, everything to taste.

Black Peppercorns 3 tbps
1tsp star anise
1tsp tarragon
a few fat cloves of garlic, and a shallot
1/2 cp lovely wine, good wine, cognac, brandy, whatever really.
Butter (To taste, I use an unhealthy amount but more then 1/4 cup is bad)

Crush the peppercorns to a fine grind, I normally throw all my spices into a mortar and pestle, because technology frightens me (I believe that crushing the peppercorns releases more of the pepperin, the oil that makes black pepper peppery) I couldn't find a study or anything that backs me up outside of like soccer moms, so you do you. You could probably use a coffee grinder, and your arms would thank you.

Chop your vegetables.

Throw the alcohol in the pan to deglaze it after cooking your steaks, then throw in the veggies, reduce it down on the highest heats, mix in the butter, and you've got a rad sauce for your steaks.

If you want thicker sauce, you can mix in 3 tbps of corn starch with a 1/4 and whisk it with a fork until it's all mixed up, and slowly pour that into the sauce until it's the right consistency. It thickens like crazy when it cools though, so keep that in mind.

(You could also use a roux, but like, at some point you're putting too much effort for a low effort sauce.)

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Stalizard posted:

I will be called lazy, but if I was given free tender meats that were otherwise bland I would:

1. Beef fondue those bitches. Vat of boiling oil and sauces. My faves are mayo and garlic, curried mayo, and "special sauce" mayo with ketchup, bourbon and hot sauce (I swear it tastes fantastic). Get some crusty bread and a stinky cheese to go with, or go classic Belgian and have fries.

2. "Carne Asada" with a dry rub. served with thin sliced onions, jalapenos and tortillas

3. Steak Au Poivre. ^^^see above..but yeah mmm.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
This is embarrassing.

I've made the same loaf of simple banana bread since I could walk. Recently I moved and the oven at the new location is poo poo. My go to banana bread came out pretty dense (good) but dry.

I'd bet money this oven is part of the problem. But despite almost twenty years pro experience, I rarely bake.

What obvious thing should I tweak to get my groove back?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Captain Log posted:

This is embarrassing.

I've made the same loaf of simple banana bread since I could walk. Recently I moved and the oven at the new location is poo poo. My go to banana bread came out pretty dense (good) but dry.

I'd bet money this oven is part of the problem. But despite almost twenty years pro experience, I rarely bake.

What obvious thing should I tweak to get my groove back?

Try baking it for less time, also grab an oven thermometer and check what the temperature of your oven actually is, some run hotter or colder than they should so that might be a factor too.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Are we doing GBS Secret Santa this year? It's basically the only part of Christmas I enjoy any more.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

legendof posted:

I asked my well-meaning boyfriend to get me some dried fruit and he got freeze dried instead. Is there anything I can do with it?
Use your freeze dried fruit to make the toppings in this: https://youtu.be/L1kgO1I9NvQ

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

rgocs posted:

Use your freeze dried fruit to make the toppings in this: https://youtu.be/L1kgO1I9NvQ

Haha, I saw that video yesterday and decided it was as close as I'm ever going to get to a divine answer to my prayers.

That being said, I probably still won't make that, it's a little bit excessive. Maybe a waffle bar with all the sauces and some fruit as topping options.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
You could still powder the freeze dried fruit and put it on yogurt or something. Could be OK like that.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Deep fry sliced beets?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Infuse your dried fruit into milk/cream/butter and cook things with it. Or use it to supplement dry ingredients in a recipe, like Tosi's crack pie.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Try baking it for less time, also grab an oven thermometer and check what the temperature of your oven actually is, some run hotter or colder than they should so that might be a factor too.

I'm almost certain it's the ancient janky oven. I cut off a slice today and there was an undercooked section in the middle. The outside? Perfect.

It's weird to have a career in food as long as I have, and realising I know precisely gently caress all about baking.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I'm almost certain it's the ancient janky oven. I cut off a slice today and there was an undercooked section in the middle. The outside? Perfect.

It's weird to have a career in food as long as I have, and realising I know precisely gently caress all about baking.

sounds like your oven is running higher than indicated bruh

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I got some wicked oil stains / burn stains on my stainless steel pans. I can get them off with my finger nail and I know if I used some stainless steel wool or something abrasive I can get it off, but I don't want tons of scratches on the pan. Any suggestions on how I can get them off?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Bartender's Friend?

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
anyone know some good cheese to smoke? I like manchego and oaxaca and colby but I dont know if some cheese is better than others wrt smoking

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Suspect Bucket posted:

Are we doing GBS Secret Santa this year? It's basically the only part of Christmas I enjoy any more.

Is there interest?

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 9, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Les Os posted:

anyone know some good cheese to smoke? I like manchego and oaxaca and colby but I dont know if some cheese is better than others wrt smoking

I don't think any cheese is good to smoke you should just eat it instead bro

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't think any cheese is good to smoke you should just eat it instead bro

I'd imagine you'd wanna go with a hard crumbly cheese over a soft or stringy cheese. The stringy cheese would lose integrity quickly and possibly burn your lips.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

I got some wicked oil stains / burn stains on my stainless steel pans. I can get them off with my finger nail and I know if I used some stainless steel wool or something abrasive I can get it off, but I don't want tons of scratches on the pan. Any suggestions on how I can get them off?

Use a scotchbrite pad, which will scratch your poo poo but much less than steel wool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Liquid Communism posted:

Is there interest?

Gwsss is usually pretty good.