Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

FMguru posted:

Wait...CAS, known "incorrigible flirter" (i.e. total loving creeplord) is heading up GR's mentorship program for new female writers at GR? :what:

Reading between the lines and taking a charitable approach it seems as if:

There were rumours about him x years back, and in the interim he managed to convince Nicole et al that he'd turned over a new leaf. He and they had also being getting attacked by Holden who was accusing him of anti-semitism on flimsy (at best) grounds, so it's easy to see any other things being thrown at the same time as just trying to tar him with other brushes. It was also confused by friends of Holden's jumping in to dismiss the complaints about him by just doing 'well you employ Suleiman', in classic distraction bullshit (it's okay for everyone involved to be poo poo heads - see also NTRPGCon and their crappy policies using 'but green ronin' as a defence.

Since then it's now gone from whisper networks saying 'well i've heard he (CAS) did X, to people coming forwards and saying that yes he harassed them (at StokerCon). Green Ronin have said they'll be releasing a statement, that was about 20-odd hours ago.

So yes Suleiman is a piece of poo poo harasser
Holden's also a piece of poo poo liar and muckraker who covered up harassment

The first doesn't cancel out the second, despite what Holden's trying to pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

PST posted:

For what it's worth, I agree with this assessment and 100% believe the victims.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Agreed, that is the perfect thumbnail description.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

PST posted:

Can OPP Fire holden from Exalted 3 any harder than they already did? Cause I want that scumbag to get some comeuppance.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

PST posted:

Since then it's now gone from whisper networks saying 'well i've heard he (CAS) did X, to people coming forwards and saying that yes he harassed them (at StokerCon). Green Ronin have said they'll be releasing a statement, that was about 20-odd hours ago.

I desperately, charitably hope that the reason GR's taking so long with this is that they're severing legal ties behind the scenes and releasing a statement once it's all done. I have no idea what their contracts are like, but I assume canceling those is a little different than just banning the shitbag from a conventino.

I hope anyway. :f5:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Kurieg posted:

Can OPP Fire holden from Exalted 3 any harder than they already did? Cause I want that scumbag to get some comeuppance.
Honestly just making sure the context of Holden's asshattery is widely shared so as to prevent rehabilitating his image would be enough.

Suleiman is really the one in dire need of official comeuppance in the current moment.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Leraika posted:

I also like the part where he says voting for Trump is morally equivalent to sexually assaulting women.

Wait, who was accused of sexual assault? I thought it was two people being accused of harassment. There is a big difference - sexual harassment might get you fired or banned from cons, but sexual assault is a felony.

I might have missed something, though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Some accounts have mentioned groping, which is sexual assault but will never get a conviction.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Some accounts have mentioned groping, which is sexual assault but will never get a conviction.

Is groping "[being an] incorrigible flirt" or "inappropriate workplace flirting"?

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

GimpInBlack posted:

For what it's worth, I agree with this assessment and 100% believe the victims.

Yeah, me too. This makes two people I've worked with coming up in these contexts, and I am combination befuddled and pissed off. Mostly pissed off.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

LatwPIAT posted:

Is groping "[being an] incorrigible flirt" or "inappropriate workplace flirting"?

Not according to any reasonable person. But people who defend and cover up sexual harassment and sexual assault are not reasonable people. Many of them either do consider groping to be nothing more than flirting or "harmless fun," or else they're trying to downplay what's happened to salvage their own or their friends' reputations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rich Thomas on Matt McFarland:

quote:

Matt’s tending to his own situation right now. As a freelance developer, all but one of his projects were already contractually finished, and we have another developer taking over Tormented to finish what Matt started.

Sounds like Matt either resigned or was taken off his final project with OP.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Holden's problem seems to be a lack of understanding that smearing everyone else in poo poo doesn't make you any less of a lovely person.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
When I had a friend in the industry a while back describe one of the exalted due as someone who acts like they're super feminist but are really lovely I was assuming they were referring to Morke rather than Holden.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Der Waffle Mous posted:

When I had a friend in the industry a while back describe one of the exalted due as someone who acts like they're super feminist but are really lovely I was assuming they were referring to Morke rather than Holden.

Why not both, he asked.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Morke never acted feminist. Indeed, he has always been rather, uh, outspoken about his weirdass gender essentialism (there was a whole kerfuffle about the Yozis having to be either male or female, no other sexes for the incomparable large, incredibly weird god-kings of reality, to the point that the gender binary is encoded into reality for Exalted because Morke had to hammer it home), his massive boner for Conan-style barbarism even when it's racist or makes no sense, etc.

Morke never really tried to hide what he is.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Huh, I never heard the Yozi thing. When did that happen?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ferrinus posted:

Huh, I never heard the Yozi thing. When did that happen?

It was before 2e, during the Ink Monkeys blog stuff. It was a giant argument on the White Wolf forums at the time, which Morke decided to settle, loudly and firmly, with a blog post in character as his mouthpiece, the Magnus, IIRC.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Suleiman's been shitcanned by Green Ronin. They're finding someone else to oversee The Lost Citadel, and won't be working with Suleiman in the future.

Not a huge fan of their public statement. "Court of public opinion," "recklesness." It feels like they're slamming people for being upset about a predator in their midst. I'm glad they did the right thing, but I don't think they're striking the right tone here.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Kurieg posted:

I mean, at this point he's pretty much de facto drummed out of the industry. He burned bridges with OPP in a way that means no sane company is going to want to risk working with him in any major capacity, and even if someone was foolish enough to do so the project would pretty much be guaranteed to get dogpiled by people bringing up his shittiness. Maybe some of the groggier OSR wings would take him, but as far as I know he doesn't have any real connections to that subsection. Personal kickstarters or patreons would actually require him to produce something, which as exalted 3 demonstrates he's incapable of doing on his own. Basically, his "best case" in the RPG world now is a shittier place than GMS currently occupies, since for all his awfulness, I can't recall skarka ever specifically helping cover up sexual harassment and then trying to defend his actions on it.

As far as comeuppance goes, that's probably about as much as we can expect.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Desiden posted:

Maybe some of the groggier OSR wings would take him, but as far as I know he doesn't have any real connections to that subsection. [...] Basically, his "best case" in the RPG world now is a shittier place than GMS currently occupies, since for all his awfulness, I can't recall skarka ever specifically helping cover up sexual harassment and then trying to defend his actions on it.

Considering his political and (several) social views are loudly left of center they'd summarily boot him on his rear end rather than accept him either, unless he had a "change of heart". He's basically screwed himself out of any company that gives a poo poo about sexual harassment and social inclusiveness, but since he spent (and still spends) a lot of time being holier-than-thou center left he's more or less anathema to the reactionary blocs of grogs. He'd be stuck with the very small stripe of people who are outwardly leftist but inwardly regressive shitheels, like a certain friendly neighborhood name-searching dirtbag - except a bunch of them are with neo White Wolf, and I'd bet they've heard dirt on the two that's only constrained to whisper networks. I'd be somewhat amazed but not entirely surprised if they got hired on by them for anything.

So, yeah, he's pretty much totally isolated outside of being embraced by neo White Wolf or completely uncaring companies that would be outwardly against everything he believes (while being hypocritical about it), and I consider that a fate worse than death for a career.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, or making his own company, but Holden's allergic to work.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

JackMann posted:

Suleiman's been shitcanned by Green Ronin. They're finding someone else to oversee The Lost Citadel, and won't be working with Suleiman in the future.

Not a huge fan of their public statement. "Court of public opinion," "recklesness." It feels like they're slamming people for being upset about a predator in their midst. I'm glad they did the right thing, but I don't think they're striking the right tone here.

I'm guessing, considering the ad hoc and unsupported nature of their claim of an "internal review" process and counter-claim of CAS being un-involved in a non-masc talent search, they are very mad that someone came with the goods about their friend and coworker that at least never groped them and/or chased them out of the industry with his bullshit.

I mean, no one is in this industry for the money and it becomes really loving scary to the professionals when it starts looking like a reason that some are is because it provides a good hunting ground and safe harbor.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

JackMann posted:

Not according to any reasonable person. But people who defend and cover up sexual harassment and sexual assault are not reasonable people. Many of them either do consider groping to be nothing more than flirting or "harmless fun," or else they're trying to downplay what's happened to salvage their own or their friends' reputations.

Sorry, I was trying to be clever. My question was whether it was Suleiman (whom Holden said was an "incorrigible flirt") or Mørke (whom Holden said had engaged in "inappropriate workplace flirting") who'd been accused of groping, since that wasn't clear in the post I replied to.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

LatwPIAT posted:

Sorry, I was trying to be clever. My question was whether it was Suleiman (whom Holden said was an "incorrigible flirt") or Mørke (whom Holden said had engaged in "inappropriate workplace flirting") who'd been accused of groping, since that wasn't clear in the post I replied to.

JH Moncrieff accused Suleiman of groping her at a con, and told Green Ronin about it at the time.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Gerund posted:

I'm guessing, considering the ad hoc and unsupported nature of their claim of an "internal review" process and counter-claim of CAS being un-involved in a non-masc talent search, they are very mad that someone came with the goods about their friend and coworker that at least never groped them and/or chased them out of the industry with his bullshit.

I mean, no one is in this industry for the money and it becomes really loving scary to the professionals when it starts looking like a reason that some are is because it provides a good hunting ground and safe harbor.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm really not getting that like, at all?

I mean, they say in the statement themselves that basically all of this smashed into them while they were in mid-investigation. I think they're more pissed that everything started moving at the Speed of Twitter and they were being forced to do the same. I mean don't get me wrong - the tone sucks a whole lot! That's a bad official statement! - but it looks like they're more irritated at the suspicion launched at them (especially given that it was loving Holden trying to throw them under the limelight - and bus) then anything else. It reads very much like "Stop calling us lovely! We ARE firing the dude! We were always firing the dude! Give us a minute!" Which, again, is something you gripe about to your coworkers, not something you put in your official statement.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Daeren posted:

He'd be stuck with the very small stripe of people who are outwardly leftist but inwardly regressive shitheels, like a certain friendly neighborhood name-searching dirtbag - except a bunch of them are with neo White Wolf, and I'd bet they've heard dirt on the two that's only constrained to whisper networks. I'd be somewhat amazed but not entirely surprised if they got hired on by them for anything.

To be fair this is actually a lot of people in the industry, not just RPG Voldemort.

Holden's problem is mostly that he's super outspoken while also kind of living in a glass house on the subjects he brings up. But he's not really alone there, either; you just can't keep doing it while you don't have a steady gig and expect to get a new one. The TTRPG industry is much more concerned with vague notions of respectability than anything substantive.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Holden's biggest sin at this point standing in the way of any hypothetical future career he may or may not have in elfgames is the absolute shitshow that the Exalted 3E rollout was. Even if he wasn't an rear end in a top hat for other reasons, even if other people in the industry share his particular brand of assholism, who's going to want him helming a major project when he abundantly demonstrated his lack of ability to handle the last major project he was given?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Holden's biggest sin at this point standing in the way of any hypothetical future career he may or may not have in elfgames is the absolute shitshow that the Exalted 3E rollout was. Even if he wasn't an rear end in a top hat for other reasons, even if other people in the industry share his particular brand of assholism, who's going to want him helming a major project when he abundantly demonstrated his lack of ability to handle the last major project he was given?

This is an industry where Monte Cook and Mike Mearls continue to find gainful employment, Kevin Siembieda still runs a business, and SKR stil exists. It has never valued competence.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lemon-Lime posted:

This is an industry where Monte Cook and Mike Mearls continue to find gainful employment, Kevin Siembieda still runs a business, and SKR stil exists. It has never valued competence.

Yeah, but those guys actually produced product. Like, this industry is really lovely at actually judging game quality, it's true. I would not personally want to hire those four. But they are able to, time and time again, ship a book. There may be delays (especially for Siembieda), but they manage it. Holden couldn't even do that.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Monte Cook

To be fair, even while I personally bounced off the Cypher System hard and far, he is pretty great in producing content which

a) is highly presentable even when arguably mediocre,
b) arrives frequently, consistently and regularly, and
c) gets done on time.

All these factors combined, in this or almost any other industry, can get you much more overall mileage than sporadically authoring a single isolated piece of work (even of stellar quality), and I can get behind and respect that.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Desiden posted:

Basically, his "best case" in the RPG world now is a shittier place than GMS currently occupies, since for all his awfulness, I can't recall skarka ever specifically helping cover up sexual harassment and then trying to defend his actions on it.

Skarka once defended someone who uttered the phrase,"In Defense of Rape" and has a reputation of trying to drive people to suicide. The last one is really hefty but given what I know what he's done before it doesn't surprise me in the least.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MadScientistWorking posted:

Skarka once defended someone who uttered the phrase,"In Defense of Rape" and has a reputation of trying to drive people to suicide. The last one is really hefty but given what I know what he's done before it doesn't surprise me in the least.

Whats the story on this? I only know him from the Far West debacle.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That'd be James Desborough, who is mostly notable for being a Gamergater and making some truly awful, sexist and racist material.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

GR is pretty good about talking out both sides of their mouth.

Serf
May 5, 2011

holy poo poo how are they so bad at this. like at this point posting boilerplate corporate rear end-covering material would be better

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Wow, they rocketed out of "poor reaction" to "absolute poo poo" very quickly.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Jaym Gates on her page is trying to paint Wendig (a writer dude that some of the victims talked through) as a ''fake white male ally'' that treated her badly by going public with the victims accounts. Because the right thing to do would be to be quiet and let Gates ''investigate'' these allegations.

Who knew GR is the FBI.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ravenkult posted:

Who knew GR is the FBI.

Blue Rose? More like Blue Lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003