Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

it wasn't even supposed to be just noteworthy people. the idea was that anyone could get the checkmark by sending in their driver's license or w/e and then people know it's Really You tweeting.

that would be believable and fine except that twitter refuses to verify some people who want it despite them confirming their identity (*cough* lowtax) and also removes verifications as a punishment

so when they say "verification was never meant to be an endorsement, just a confirmation of identity" it's clearly horseshit, both in how people interpret it and also how twitter themselves use it

yeah, their wholly inconsistent use of verifications makes it noteworthy when they verify known neo-nazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rex-Goliath posted:

yep I’m deleting my twitter account. gently caress them

seriously considering nuking my Facebook as well but that’s harder

I killed my Twitter then realized it was how I got all my news, and realized that as stressful as getting news was not getting news was much more stressful so I reactivated.

:smith:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i still have a facebook account but haven't read or been active on it in like four years. it's nice to be rid of that.

i do have an instagram account which is still facebook lol but i like the format a lot better. scrolling list of pictures from people i know IRL and nothing else -- that's not mentally exhausting.

don't use twitter.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Schadenboner posted:

I killed my Twitter then realized it was how I got all my news, and realized that as stressful as getting news was not getting news was much more stressful so I reactivated.

:smith:
lol if you dont get all your news from yospos/sa and john oliver (formerly daily show in stewart-days)

and really there are better sources. even aggregating google.com/news, or local npr website like https://www.kqed.org

no reason to use twitter

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

look, jack said there would be new rules around violent groups, he never said what the rules would be

https://twitter.com/jack/status/919028956333879296

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
one hypothesis that i heard is that they use Philippine contractors for the actual verification step

you may have noticed the Philippines going pretty fash in the past year or so

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Xaris posted:

lol if you dont get all your news from yospos/sa and john oliver (formerly daily show in stewart-days)

and really there are better sources. even aggregating google.com/news, or local npr website like https://www.kqed.org

no reason to use twitter

I basically ported my Google Reader use-case to Twitter when Reader shut down GOT MURDERED BY THE MOUNTAINVIEW FUCKHEADS.

:shrug:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/DennyVonDoom/status/928398928743206918
https://twitter.com/DennyVonDoom/status/928400653357117441

love to stream a video game for my on line pals

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think in retrospect giving everybody a "free" platform and then trying to monetize what they do on it will go down in history as a super bad idea

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Improbable Lobster posted:

twitter is a nazi company
ockham's razor is really, really pointing in that direction

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

ockham's razor is really, really pointing in that direction

the levels of incompetence necessary to achieve the effect of malice they consistently display is technically achievable, albeit incredibly difficult

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the only things I post on twitter now are ps4 screenshots/videos because its an easier export path than loving with usb drives

I haven't visited my personal feed in years and only read tweets recommended through other channels

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sagebrush posted:

that would be believable and fine except that twitter refuses to verify some people who want it despite them confirming their identity (*cough* lowtax) and also removes verifications as a punishment

that is pretty messed up

ok i'm going to need a new scale for messed up

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

https://twitter.com/Gen_Ironicus/status/928676240013385730

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i still can't get over the facebook nude thing, jfc lol its like im in a waking nightmare

also shamelesly stolen:

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need naked pics of hot chicks
Zuck: Just ask
Zuck: I have over a million pussy shots and a few mil titty pics
[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?
Zuck: People just submitted it.
Zuck: I don't know why.
Zuck: They "trust me"
Zuck: Dumb fucks

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

qirex posted:

I think in retrospect giving everybody a "free" platform and then trying to monetize what they do on it will go down in history as a super bad idea

yeah the concept of media was a mistake

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

only in the sense that they were never able to monetize it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

one hypothesis that i heard is that they use Philippine contractors for the actual verification step

you may have noticed the Philippines going pretty fash in the past year or so

that seems like a surreptitiously racist way that valley techlords can avoid admitting that one of their god-CEOs, Jack Dorsey, Is A Nazi

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Xaris posted:

i still can't get over the facebook nude thing, jfc lol its like im in a waking nightmare

also shamelesly stolen:

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need naked pics of hot chicks
Zuck: Just ask
Zuck: I have over a million pussy shots and a few mil titty pics
[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?
Zuck: People just submitted it.
Zuck: I don't know why.
Zuck: They "trust me"
Zuck: Dumb fucks

it reminds me of when the TSA first installed naked airport scanners except that they did it with the full force of government and threat of horrible death and all facebook is doing is saying pretty please

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

anyway also let's not forget what the zuck posted on his blog as he was developing facebook back at harvard

quote:

I’m a little intoxicated, I’m not gonna lie. So what if it’s not even 10 p.m. and it’s a Tuesday night? What? The Kirkland dormitory facebook is open on my desktop and some of these people have pretty horrendous facebook pics. I almost want to put some of these faces next to pictures of some farm animals and have people vote on which is the more attractive … Let the hacking begin.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

haveblue posted:

it reminds me of when the TSA first installed naked airport scanners except that they did it with the full force of government and threat of horrible death and all facebook is doing is saying pretty please

also not a job i'd want

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

that seems like a surreptitiously racist way that valley techlords can avoid admitting that one of their god-CEOs, Jack Dorsey, Is A Nazi

didnt jack leave twitter for like 5 years to go do some other bullshit

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

only in the sense that they were never able to monetize it

that's my point, the things the platform needs to do to make money distort the platform itself and the things your users need to do to make money distort what they create for it and it all averages towards some weird stew of advertiser friendly and insanely toxic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

any purported photographs of jack dated between 2011 to 2015 which depict him in argentina wearing a schutzstaffel uniform are merely crude manipulations created by his detractors

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
facebook isn't a horrible experience for me but i also don't have family on there so it's mostly just friends (and some friends' family lol) and it's good times. we share links and sometimes get up to some comment threads.

i've got a couple of token far-right guys on there. one of them is a high school classmate who is hilariously ultra-libertarian, he finally argued for child labor last year (it was very FYGM too, he straight-up said "don't worry it won't be our children having to toil"). the other is basically a South Park-style concern troll.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

that's my point, the things the platform needs to do to make money distort the platform itself and the things your users need to do to make money distort what they create for it and it all averages towards some weird stew of advertiser friendly and insanely toxic

i meant more that people will be like "lol we never made any money, why did we think this would work?"

you could absolutely make money on a twitter that was advertiser and family friendly. it wouldn't have everyone in the world on it and it wouldn't be a very interesting place, but it would have everyone you need to make money and everything those people want.

like litterrally a Disney social network.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

anyway also let's not forget what the zuck posted on his blog as he was developing facebook back at harvard

what's the zuck's family history? i'm guessing his parents are some kind of loaded but does he come from rarefied new england bluebloods, or what

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/Curbed/status/928630787628466176

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what's the zuck's family history? i'm guessing his parents are some kind of loaded but does he come from rarefied new england bluebloods, or what

his parents are doctors from connecticut or something but i havent traced the ole zuckerburg family tree back further than that because my ancestry.com free trial expired.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

e:nm too crass

burn silicon valley to the ground, kill and eat the rich.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar posted:

like litterrally a Disney social network.

reminder that disney considered buying twitter but decided that cleaning it up would be more trouble than it was worth

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

my bitter bi rival posted:

his parents are doctors from connecticut or something but i havent traced the ole zuckerburg family tree back further than that because my ancestry.com free trial expired.

Connecticut is a myth and anyone from there isn't real so it all makes sense

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

reminder that disney considered buying twitter but decided that cleaning it up would be more trouble than it was worth

yeah it would have been a good idea for them if the cleanup wasn't such a nightmare effort

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

bitcoin heated toilet

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Powaqoatse posted:

e:nm too crass

burn silicon valley to the ground, kill and eat the rich.

same but the rest of California, and the pacific coast. except alaska.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hifi posted:

bitcoin heated toilet

bitdet

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

hahaha

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

There's a reason most car companies use one of a few seat builders to provide the seats rather than build their own

yeah it's cuz they're not disruptive enough and are stuck doing things like they did in the 19th century!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my question the last like, 3 times this same idea has come up still stands: who's paying for the electricity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

“People who mine cryptocurrencies use big miners. And they just heat the atmosphere,” said Dmitry Tolmachyov in a Quartz video, embedded below. “And we say, ‘No, the environment! We shouldn’t heat the atmosphere. We have a nine-month long heating season. We should heat our homes. The miners should not be concentrated in one place. They should be in various places, in private homes. The technology allows it nowadays.”

No, the environment!

also love how "the technology allows it nowadays" unlike the bad old times of Big Bitcoin mining hogging all the bitcoin machines in their giant factories!!!

• Locked thread