Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VitalSigns posted:

It's weird that the Borg kidnapped 7 of 9 in order to force her to help them figure out how to assimilate Earth because the obvious answer is "try sending more than 1 cube next time".

Every time they assimilate a delta quadrant species like 50 cubes show up and start owning everyone and we're going to find out later they have a transwarp conduit that goes right into the Sol System so

My pet theory has always been that the Borg regard cubes as expendable and these attempts were them seeing if it would work or if the humans would expose another vulnerability that the Borg could then fix for all their cubes. Don't send the cubes too often, though, the Federation's value as QA stress testers necessitates not overworking them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

Oh are you watching a Picard romance episode? Those all suck balls.

The first one with Vash is pretty good, plus you get that classic Risa comedy of Picard with the sex seeking statue.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Sometimes I wish somebody would make a megacut of TNG episodes edited down to conflict-free sci-fi dialogue for me to watch in my tripped-out, half-asleep, semi-dreaming state

Just whole episodes of operational routines, character moments, jokes, exposition, and technobabble. Nothing ever really happens. All is well on the Enterprise.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Zurui posted:

Just whole episodes of operational routines, character moments, jokes, exposition, and technobabble. Nothing ever really happens. All is well on the Enterprise.

Now that I've seen most of the series yeah, that sounds really soothing and nice to fall asleep to.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Visitor has a huge conflict, it's Jake trying and failing to get over his father's disappearance. Narrative conflict is more than dudes punching each other.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pieces of Peace posted:

So, I can't quite tell who in this thread still has a positive opinion of DIS (my implant connecting me to the Goon Hive-Mind no longer functions), but with the end-of-fall-season two-parter, I'm having a hard time agreeing with the people positing "yeah, we've seen a militarized psychotic Federation, especially Captain Lorca, but it's obviously all set-up for his downfall and Burnham learning a lesson," because the whole thing on Pahvo comes off as "those poor dumb loving pacifist sound creatures, don't they know their harmony can only exist thanks to Hard Men Making Hard Decisions." Or am I just pre-disposed to hate this because I have absorbed the thread-salt?

Also Jesus Christ, is anyone else completely unable to follow the Klingon subplot? It's simultaneously jumping ahead too fast and providing absolutely no personality or likability for any of the characters.

I've just stopped watching.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cythereal posted:

My pet theory has always been that the Borg regard cubes as expendable and these attempts were them seeing if it would work or if the humans would expose another vulnerability that the Borg could then fix for all their cubes. Don't send the cubes too often, though, the Federation's value as QA stress testers necessitates not overworking them.

I would say in addition to this negative purpose of finding vulnerabilities, they may also have a positive purpose like B5's Shadows, spurring development by conflict. In this case, as an investment for future Borg improvements by outsourcing R&D to someone with extreme motivation.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

VitalSigns posted:

It's weird that the Borg kidnapped 7 of 9 in order to force her to help them figure out how to assimilate Earth because the obvious answer is "try sending more than 1 cube next time".

I think until First Contact the Borg hadn't really solidified. I think in Best of Both Worlds, you could make a strong argument that there could be just a handful of cubes total, and that the Borg stole technology and resources, but assimilating people was an unusual activity saved for special cases.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Pieces of Peace posted:

So, I can't quite tell who in this thread still has a positive opinion of DIS (my implant connecting me to the Goon Hive-Mind no longer functions), but with the end-of-fall-season two-parter, I'm having a hard time agreeing with the people positing "yeah, we've seen a militarized psychotic Federation, especially Captain Lorca, but it's obviously all set-up for his downfall and Burnham learning a lesson," because the whole thing on Pahvo comes off as "those poor dumb loving pacifist sound creatures, don't they know their harmony can only exist thanks to Hard Men Making Hard Decisions." Or am I just pre-disposed to hate this because I have absorbed the thread-salt?

Also Jesus Christ, is anyone else completely unable to follow the Klingon subplot? It's simultaneously jumping ahead too fast and providing absolutely no personality or likability for any of the characters.

I haven't seen a single episode of that show but my wise instincts say you're right and the goons making excuses are wrong and it's post-9/11 baloney.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I haven't seen a single episode of that show but my wise instincts say you're right and the goons making excuses are wrong and it's post-9/11 baloney.

Pieces of Peace is right, and the funny thing is the spoilered content is about a two-parter for which we're awaiting the second half, right? But the show's been so drat inconsistent about so many things to this point that it doesn't really matter how this specific situation resolves, since they might just disregard/invalidate/forget it next episode anyway. They can't even keep the identities of the bridge crew straight from one week to the next in the After Trek show.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Sometimes I wish somebody would make a megacut of TNG episodes edited down to conflict-free sci-fi dialogue for me to watch in my tripped-out, half-asleep, semi-dreaming state

suggest a good episode for this kind of edit, that sounds like it'd be fun to do this weekend

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I wish the Borg had been just one cube. It would have been a cool concept, that all Borg were just in one giant cube that went from place to place adding to the one cube.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

jeeves posted:

I wish the Borg had been just one cube. It would have been a cool concept, that all Borg were just in one giant cube that went from place to place adding to the one cube.

That's... not what it is?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Oh, Star Trek ruins the gently caress out of the Borg. Enjoy them for now.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

According to every Borg episode after the first one: Nope.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You should watch DS9, but you can probably skip Voyager.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The Borg were best when it was a single species who had chosen to do this to themselves, like with the baby in the drawer.

The first time I saw Best of Both Worlds I thought that they just were going to enslave the Federation and Klingons because he said "Your cultures will adapt to service us." To me, that sounds different than assimilating everyone into the collective.

Definitely watch DS9. Please.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What even are these O'brien marriage episodes. :psyduck:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

corn in the bible posted:

suggest a good episode for this kind of edit, that sounds like it'd be fun to do this weekend

Oh, man. For a single episode, I'd guess something unremarkable like Transfigurations would do. Or maybe an early or late-season snoozer like Force of Nature, Quality of Life, The Dauphin, or Pen Pals. Some of those are 75% of the way there already.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MiddleOne posted:

What even are these O'brien marriage episodes. :psyduck:

Data's Day, unless :thejoke:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Data's either really playing the violin or really good at faking it

As an orchestra person, those scenes always drive me up a wall because he's not even close. It's not "Diddy faking on Always Sunny" bad, but it's still pretty bad.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

As an orchestra person, those scenes always drive me up a wall because he's not even close. It's not "Diddy faking on Always Sunny" bad, but it's still pretty bad.

You remember Night Man? And his "day" job as a sax player? Worst unintentionally fake music playing I've ever seen, ever.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

McSpanky posted:

You remember Night Man? And his "day" job as a sax player? Worst unintentionally fake music playing I've ever seen, ever.

Ugh, yes. Reminds me of a Big Bang Theory episode my folks were watching where a character was playing cello with his bow halfway up the fingerboard at a 45° angle.

It's not hard, actors. Watch a couple 30 second videos so you don't look like a dingus.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Orchestractical realism.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

And then Riker got raped by an alien doctor.

Like what even is season 4 of TNG

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Watched DS9 ‘Prophet Motive’ and what even is this Bashir B plot? According to the Memory Alpha entry it’s some kind of producer in-joke? I️t just goes nowhere.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Oh, man. For a single episode, I'd guess something unremarkable like Transfigurations would do. Or maybe an early or late-season snoozer like Force of Nature, Quality of Life, The Dauphin, or Pen Pals. Some of those are 75% of the way there already.

Honestly, you could probably cut several season 7 episodes together into one without anyone noticing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Zurui posted:

Honestly, you could probably cut several season 7 episodes together into one without anyone noticing.

I love season 7, but it’s the television equivalent of hanging out with your friends in your living room watching the food network instead of going out and doing something.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The old Gazorra TNG Edits kind of did that, but if only they were longer.

https://youtu.be/LwDAiAKhsCs?list=PLKA_WqdzIF5XlKBO60F4YBW20qElfoQ6y

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Pieces of Peace posted:

If you watched Errand Of Mercy from TOS or The Nox from Stargate SG-1 but skipped the last 5 to 10 minutes you would probably come to the same conclusion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Wrongs Darker than Death or Night

I never got how anyone could consider Dukat sympathetic, likeable, or entertain notions of a Kira/Dukat romance, so this episode is wholly unnecessary for me. Dukat's a bad guy, end of story.

Poor Nana Visitor, though. She had to personally fight back against the writers pairing Kira with Dukat, and both she and Auberjois hated pairing Kira and Odo as well, but chose not to fight the writers on that at this point. Personally, I felt Kira's most compelling personal chemistry was with Sisko, and given my dislike of Cassidy Yates I'd have happily accepted pairing Sisko with Kira or Jadzia instead.

But this is 90s television so no notable female character is allowed to move forward unattached to a man! Unless the writers can't agree on what man she should be attached to and the whole thing ends up a wash like in Janeway's case.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Perhaps jokingly, perhaps not, but in some of the backer-released DS9 documentary footage Terry Farrel (Or maybe it was Visitor? Can't check right now) has said she thinks Kira should have ended up with Dax. But she probably means Jadzia.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shoulda been Quark.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Morn

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Kira with Odo makes so little sense let alone that she wouldn't consider him more of a collaborator than she does

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Kira should've rotated through a never ending series of important but extremely boring Bajoran politicians

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I should clarify I mean Ezri should have been with Quark. Kira shoulda been a strong independent woman who don't need no man. But secretly has a Captain Jonathan Archer holosuite program.

One of the most boring and most important captains, the perfect man.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Kira with Odo makes so little sense let alone that she wouldn't consider him more of a collaborator than she does

I never bought the idea that she was attracted to him. I get why he is into her, but I see literally zero reason for her to like him back. He's boring, stodgy, and obsessed with law and order. She's a fiery rebel.

I know "opposites attract" sometime, but if that were the case, they should have been attracted to each other right away. Basically, I don't like when one character loves another from afar and it works out, like Niles and Daphne on Frasier.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Kira shoulda been a strong independent woman who don't need no man.

drat right.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
No shot more uncomfortable in all of ds9 than Odo turning into a shower of gold around Kira at the end of Chimera, even though that's otherwise one of my favorite episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Inquisition

So. Section 31.

Might be an unpopular view, but I don't like them being a thing. I think they're interesting and compelling antagonists, I think their existence makes sense within the setting, and I think they're entirely plausible. I do not like their implications, they make the Federation a touch too grey for me to be happy with them given how I see Star Trek as being meant to be fundamentally idealistic. I'd be happier if Starfleet officially condemned them at the end, but instead Sisko notes that Starfleet Command simply refuses to comment one way or another.

Other than that, good episode. Section 31 only comes up in the last ten minutes, otherwise it's a pretty normal mind screw episode similar to Whispers or Second Skin or what have you.

Next up is In the Pale Moonlight. Oh boy.