Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lmao at having brain cells permanently dedicated to remembering the name of that god drat drawing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I want a tasteful watercolor of Lauda's Ferrari crashing and burning into flames.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
So I'm not well versed in oval racing, is that a drawing of Dale Jr. with Dale Sr.'s fatal crash reflected in his sunglasses? If so, I don't see how this thread can really be the worst thread, NASCAR is just on another level.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Lmao at having brain cells permanently dedicated to remembering the name of that god drat drawing.

It’s a drat fine image.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

I want a tasteful watercolor of Lauda's Ferrari crashing and burning into flames.

How about a diorama?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Wirth1000 posted:

How about a diorama?

Make his face scratch and sniff

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Yo, Formula 1/Liberty/Ross Brawn, loving adopt this sick as hell testing rules:

quote:

MotoGP operates a system of technical concessions to allow the category’s newer manufacturers to catch up to the established front-running teams, which include the right to carry out unlimited in-season testing and engine development.

Currently, only Aprilia and KTM are entitled to these, with Suzuki having lost its concessions last season as a result of Maverick Vinales’ Silverstone victory and three other podium finishes.

However, the rules state that a manufacturer that fails to score any concession points – which are awarded for top-three finishes – in a given season will regain any concessions it has previously lost.

Neither Andrea Iannone nor Alex Rins have finished in the top three this year, and should they fail to do so in Valencia, Suzuki could be in line for a major performance boost next season.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wirth1000 posted:

Yo, Formula 1/Liberty/Ross Brawn, loving adopt this sick as hell testing rules:

That's actually pretty cool.

Ferrari will veto any attempt.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Christ, imagine what Force India would be like next year if they had a season of unlimited testing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I don't think they'd be eligible cause they technically won as Jordan.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I doubt that’d be the case since F1 considers you an entirely new constructor when you change names.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Force India have had podium finishes though

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

As much as I wish there was some form of extended testing MotoGP's rules are specifically devoted towards getting new manufacturers in the sport. Aprilia is really the only manufacturer who seems to be happy being there to make up the numbers. Suzuki got hosed hard by having the restrictions imposed on them this year from winning a race last year, although admittedly that is atleast 60% their fault.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

As much as I wish there was some form of extended testing MotoGP's rules are specifically devoted towards getting new manufacturers in the sport. Aprilia is really the only manufacturer who seems to be happy being there to make up the numbers. Suzuki got hosed hard by having the restrictions imposed on them this year from winning a race last year, although admittedly that is atleast 60% their fault.

The problem is there's effectively 3.5 makers in the sport right now, two of which would not get the unlimited testing. I'm pretty sure Renault and McLaren Honda would have benefited from unlimited testing (especially Honda this year), though how much Renault would have given to RBR would remain to be seen. The private teams wouldn't get much of a bonus I think from more testing except for maybe better aero, which in that case maybe Haas and Sauber would be able to catch up.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iospace posted:

The problem is there's effectively 3.5 makers in the sport right now, two of which would not get the unlimited testing. I'm pretty sure Renault and McLaren Honda would have benefited from unlimited testing (especially Honda this year), though how much Renault would have given to RBR would remain to be seen. The private teams wouldn't get much of a bonus I think from more testing except for maybe better aero, which in that case maybe Haas and Sauber would be able to catch up.

You don't actually get more testing, it's more to do with you can re-homologate certain things mid season if you're in the poo poo tier of manufacturers.

Comparing Suzuki and KTM is a good example, both homologated the wrong engine at the start of the season but KTM is allowed it re-homologate a different type of engine and has had a bit more of an upward momentum as the season has gone on.

Renault's engine never would've qualified for this system under the rules since they've won atleast one race every season and been on the podium. Honda would but lol if you think that would've helped them.

It's also worth noting MotoGP has a crazy homologation system for aero where you have your basic fairing and then an "aero" one that you need to homologate but can then cut poo poo out from it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Could you imagine if instead of nicknames f1 did this?
https://blackflag.jalopnik.com/all-of-the-hilarious-burns-texas-motor-speedway-publicl-1820269728

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sebastian Vettel: Went to Ferrari, only does somewhat better than his teammate.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Some dangerously unfunny 'burns' there. Worthy of this thread.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Formula 1 CEO Chase Carey insists Liberty Media has no wish to turn grand prix racing "into NASCAR", as he responded to Ferrari's criticism of the 2021 engine proposals.

Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne last week complained about the increased focus on standardisation in the planned rules, claiming his team could pull out of F1 and saying "I don't want to play NASCAR globally".

Carey is adamant that Liberty still wants differentiation between competing engines and cars, but with closer competition.

"Actually I don't think we have a differing view to Ferrari," Carey said. "I'm not trying to be derogatory to NASCAR, but we don't plan to be NASCAR either.

"We don't want to standardise the cars. We don't want 20 identical cars going round the track, and the only difference is the driver.

"F1 is unique, and it marries up competitive sport to state-of-the-art technology. We want the teams to have the ability to do what they do to create cars that are unique to them - unique engines to them, unique bodies to them.

"But we want to make success dependent on how well you spend your resources within some constraints, versus how much you spend. I think that's a healthier sport.

"And then those that can develop the technologies, develop the capabilities that are better than others, will enable them to succeed."

Carey is adamant that F1 needs to have closer competition and that fans want to see different winners, meaning teams would benefit from rules that made the field more competitive.

"We want teams to compete to win, but we want all the teams to have a chance," he added.

"It's never going to be equal, there are going to be favourites that evolve, but we want the teams to feel that they all have a fighting chance.

"Sports are built on the unexpected, and we do want a sport that can have the unexpected.

"If somebody wins every race every week, at the end of the day, the sport's going to suffer.

"You need competition, you need the unknown, you need great finishes, you need great dramas. We've got to create that.

"That attracts more funds, and realistically that benefits all the teams in the sport. Our first priority is to make this sport much better for us, and the existing teams in it."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-boss-carey-responds-ferrari-criticism-nascar-976330/

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Tsaedje posted:

Some dangerously unfunny 'burns' there. Worthy of this thread.

Nothing can top Felipe "AIDS" Massa

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

wicka posted:

One of the posters was catfishing women on Tinder and then confronting them on camera when they showed up, screaming about "Chads" and poo poo.

I'm so proud that I don't know what incels, catfishing, or chads are, and I only have a vague idea of Tinder. gently caress you, internet.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont want to see a loving sauber wining, gently caress off Liberty

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Agreed

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CratSock posted:

I'm so proud that I don't know what incels, catfishing, or chads are, and I only have a vague idea of Tinder. gently caress you, internet.

An incel is a person who has spent time in prison (“in cell”). Catfishing is when you catch a catfish with your bare hands (aka noodling). Chads are devoted fans of Chadwick Boseman.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dumb fans probably from reddit or some other godawful place: We want to see all the teams win races. Also the best era of F1 was when McLaren won all the races and all the other teams had cars that broke down after 10 laps.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Dumb fans probably from something awful or some other godawful place: We want to see all the teams win races. Also the best era of F1 was when Ferrari won all the races and all the other teams had cars that broke down after 10 laps.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorGonzo posted:

What, you don't want a Ferrari to win?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hmm that era was pretty popular too. It's almost like "different teams winning races" has very little to do with the popularity of the sport and it's more about making sure the sport is spectacular to watch and that the drivers are compelling larger-than-life figures.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The problem with Americans in sport is that they would do poo poo like buy the Spanish football league and conclude that nobody in Spain would possibly watch a sporting league where only like two clubs had a chance of winning the title.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Hmm that era was pretty popular too. It's almost like "different teams winning races" has very little to do with the popularity of the sport and it's more about making sure the sport is spectacular to watch and that the drivers are compelling larger-than-life figures.

Really, I have no problem with one team dominating a season if it's at least interesting. The first half of this year was interesting, then England happened and it went all to one side of the table.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

iospace posted:

Really, I have no problem with one team dominating a season if it's at least interesting. The first half of this year was interesting, then England happened and it went all to one side of the table.

So it goes. Wicka will get mad at me but I think the sport is less viscerally exciting than it was in days past (a lot of it due to antiseptic circuits) which hurts the image of the sport.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I thought we were finally going to get a real quality competitive season after the few month or so and then it all just kind of petered out

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Unfortunately Mercedes started cheating again. They must go.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

So it goes. Wicka will get mad at me but I think the sport is less viscerally exciting than it was in days past (a lot of it due to antiseptic circuits) which hurts the image of the sport.

I think blaming the tracks is missing the forest for the trees in this case. The reason why they're so cookie cutter is there has to be a set amount of "overtaking zones" or whatever you want to call it. The problem really is, if you ask me, is the amount of downforce increasing corning speeds and the fact the braking zones are so short compared the past making overtaking a massive chore, and that's before you get into "following close enough to have an overtake chance means ruining your tires"

Then again, this argument has been rehashed so many times yet F1 as a whole wants to stick their fingers in their ears and bang on about ~engine noise~ or some irrelevant poo poo to the actual racing.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Unfortunately Mercedes started cheating again. They must go.

In which way do you think they are cheating? If it's oil burn every other team is doing it too, they're just not as good at it

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm in a 3 hour meeting discussing KPIs and implementing 1980s automotive production management techniques into my financial services job. If I come out and this is an argument again I'm gonna die.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
1989 owned and was extremely well received at the time and McLaren-Honda annihilated everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tsaedje posted:

In which way do you think they are cheating? If it's oil burn every other team is doing it too, they're just not as good at it

For more in-depth information I would suggest reading the posts of track day bro!

• Locked thread