Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Black Mage is the worst job to play in the game, even including DRG.

It's anti fun. It punishes you for playing it. Nothing in the game is designed with Black Mage in mind. Go do the second boss in Shisui on Black Mage and try to resist the urge to log out when you're done.

Summoner was awful when SB came out but it's legit pretty fun now.

Hey now DRG is a ton of fun*

*in a raid and dungeons for the most part, it's loving miserable doing anything out in the world with though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want the time I spent levelling that worthless job to 34 for B4B added onto my account timer.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bolow posted:

Hey now DRG is a ton of fun*

*in a raid and dungeons for the most part, it's loving miserable doing anything out in the world with though

I don't think it is, personally. I haven't ever been able to get a good feel with LotD. I miss HW dragoon. :ohdear:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The best part about DRG is after a jump you have a button that lets you choose whether you want your corpse close, or all the way across the room.

I'm an across-the-room guy myself but I think the community is pretty divided on this issue.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I would think the third boss in Ivalice would be the new "Jesus this sucks" boss for BLMs but I don't touch that job personally.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rascyc posted:

I would think the third boss in Ivalice would be the new "Jesus this sucks" boss for BLMs but I don't touch that job personally.

It's probably okay if you get that 1 in a 100 group where people who get targeted with chariot (or whatever it's called) where you're supposed to run to him would actually do so.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Rascyc posted:

Eh, just stand way the hell back and eat his half-room AOEs when they go off. That's what I usually do on Summoner/Machinist/healing classes because i'm bad and I'd rather eat 10,000 damage and a Vuln debuff than be instakilled by Trample.

Also, can we hold off on reworking SMN until they break the class's legs again? They're probably going to do that in 4.15 or 4.2, y'all aren't going to have to wait that long.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think it is, personally. I haven't ever been able to get a good feel with LotD. I miss HW dragoon. :ohdear:

the trick is that you shouldn't think about it too much. SB dragoon is basically a "press every button as it ocmes up and it all works out" class. you don't really do any loving about with lotd because pressing geirskogul on cooldown and trying to make sure you have at least 23 seconds on the clock when you enter lotd (which should happen naturally if you are pressing buttons when they come up).

the biggest decision you might have to make is to sometimes delay lotd by thirty seconds by burning geirskogul right before your third mirage dive because it lines up with raid buffs better but this is only true if you are running a buff-comp with a ninja and stuff.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Do you BLMs not realize manaward exists and is extremely good for tanking single aoes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm glad of no longer having to play the Manaward/Manawall guessing game, now that ward does both

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

OneDeadman posted:

Do you BLMs not realize manaward exists and is extremely good for tanking single aoes

i'm actually pretty sure you can tank almost the entirety of that problematic shisui mechanic people were talking about. i think i remember getting through it by dodging the first few hits with fire-3 proc then manawarding the rest.

new blm has lots of tools it just takes a bit of fore-thought to use them. which is fine honestly since the basic rotation is pretty simple.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My favourite BLM rotation is

Red Mage/Summoner Gear set equip button > Play that instead.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Every single one of your posts are extremely terrible.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Every single one of your posts are extremely terrible.

You're not wrong, but they're still right about blm being the worst.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I have a lot of fun playing black mage. I think the only job I haven't really enjoyed so far has been monk, but like, I'm willing to concede that it probably just isn't a style I'm ever going to fully get into. Well, I didn't really *love* Machinist either but I leveled it very soon after SB dropped, so maybe I should give it another chance.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Homoerotic Wizards have defeated an evil clown.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Sarrisan posted:

the trick is that you shouldn't think about it too much. SB dragoon is basically a "press every button as it ocmes up and it all works out" class. you don't really do any loving about with lotd because pressing geirskogul on cooldown and trying to make sure you have at least 23 seconds on the clock when you enter lotd (which should happen naturally if you are pressing buttons when they come up).

the biggest decision you might have to make is to sometimes delay lotd by thirty seconds by burning geirskogul right before your third mirage dive because it lines up with raid buffs better but this is only true if you are running a buff-comp with a ninja and stuff.

This does occasionally lead to the awkward situation when you go to re-enter lotd and Nastrond hasn't come off CD yet :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Every time I fly past Vira Nilya, it's kind of sad seeing it so empty.

I hope the Ananta Beast Tribe Quests come out soon.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

My favourite BLM rotation is

Red Mage/Summoner Gear set equip button > Play that instead.

Same.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Homoerotic Wizards have defeated an evil clown.

That one dead guy off to the side. That will be me when I eventually clear O3S.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/cotton_kujata/status/928630483172212736

OneDeadman posted:

Also there is no better feeling than Aetherial Manipulation to a party member to dodge an AoE or soak a hit, then Between the Lines back to your Ley Lines.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I main BLM for SB and don’t recall any of those bosses being a pain. The most painful part for me is the final phase of O3S - I can do mechanics or ok dps but not both.

The key F3 ->aetherial manip is the solution to mechanics in light parties. F4 or F5 in full parties. That way if you die the healer did too.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Someone post that 4.0 paladin flowchart.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I don't remember who was asking if the servers were still junk cause they wanted to raid, but Excal at the very least is making GBS threads itself.

Edit: welp I'm in a big ol queue now so I guess maybe it's just loving dead

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 10, 2017

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Eh, just stand way the hell back and eat his half-room AOEs when they go off. That's what I usually do on Summoner/Machinist/healing classes because i'm bad and I'd rather eat 10,000 damage and a Vuln debuff than be instakilled by Trample.

Also, can we hold off on reworking SMN until they break the class's legs again? They're probably going to do that in 4.15 or 4.2, y'all aren't going to have to wait that long.

I mean even I ignore that one as a smn cause I can't be interrupted anyway even without surecast, but I was thinking more towards the second half of the fight with all the movement across the room to clear the other charging chariots and dark geas comes up and some more movement here comes trample etc

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So I finally finished level DRK to 70. So uh Myste is definitely some fragment of my psyche, I'm assuming regret? Good story, I liked the 65 quest in particular

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

mch actually requires less brain power than brd

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I notice a lot of people still talk about mch as if it's heavensward. Please stop that

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
it wasn't as hard as brd even in heavensward by a mile

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hrm, if Machinist is decent these days, I might give it a go. Fits with the ‘gigantic blue nerd’ vibe of my main.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hivac posted:

it wasn't as hard as brd even in heavensward by a mile

Some people have a hard time thinking in terms of 'John Fukkin' Madden.'

I find that MCH takes an iota more brainpower than BRD these days because Overheat + Wildfire is worse to mess up than any of BRD's songs, accidentally refreshing straight shot instead of shooting tons of arrow lasers, or barraging an Empyreal Arrow just as Refulgant procs.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Unholy Spirit

I wanna see what Fell Cleave would do with that

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Rascyc posted:

The third boss isn't that bad, just stay far away in a corner and just eat the odd AOE that you can. The second boss however can go suck a bag of dicks, because you need to move a fair bit, and other players are constantly dumping multiple AOE's on top of you, forcing you to move. Although don't believe anything I say, I'm the worst BLM that isn't straight up an ice mage.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
*crashes into thread* HEY YO I HEARD SOMEONE TALKIN poo poo ABOUT BLACK MAGES

if you're complaining about movement mechanics then you clearly don't have the balls to wait for the last second to use aetherial manipulation to zoop across the entire map then use between the lines to zoop back to where you started in the span of 3 seconds.

or just eat the damage like God intended. It gives those lazy healers something to do.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

“Huh since when has that put a 30s paralysis on you?” - me after using manaward in anything but exdr

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

if you are spamming enmity combos in tank stance and still losing aggro, there is something wrong with your gear.

Which part of Sword Oath implies tank stance? My PLD isn't the best geared, but it was just Skalla. I have full Verity gear or better. It's my secondary class. There are just moments where the SAM unleashes their full big dick DPS and they get aggro for a second because I'm using the DPS combo instead of the Halone combo. Use Diversion! Dungeons are a team effort!

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Which part of Sword Oath implies tank stance? My PLD isn't the best geared, but it was just Skalla. I have full Verity gear or better. It's my secondary class. There are just moments where the SAM unleashes their full big dick DPS and they get aggro for a second because I'm using the DPS combo instead of the Halone combo. Use Diversion! Dungeons are a team effort!

if you are using verity gear then i'm willing to bet the sam DID use diversion.

verity gear is hot garbage and you will have to get used to people forcing you out of sword oath.

EDIT: if, of course, they are any good at their jobs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

As a BLM in 340 I need both diversion and lucid dreaming to not pull off a tank in verity gear so it’s quite probable he was using diversion.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If you're losing threat, particularly if you're less geared than your DPS, introduce either threat combos or tank stance or both, until a. you're not losing threat and b. you're not getting any sense of DPS (or healer!) holding themselves back to prevent pulling threat.

They can help this with Diversion for a little while every few minutes, particularly if they're planning on doing something bursty early in a pull, but most of the time this is entirely on you.

High damage from tanks is absolutely a noble goal you should strive for, but it's still secondary to keeping the drat mobs pissed at you and not being a squishy wet paper bag (related: armor updates are good too, and use defensive cooldowns proactively and on big trash pulls, which almost invariably feature more incoming damage than anything you'll see in a boss fight).

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Hey, any suggestions for my FC room? I'm going for a "hanging gardens" kind of thing, but I'm wondering what else would go well with such a theme. I do want to get/make some potted plants. I had a second couch and pillar combo on the other side but I felt like it was too repetitive.

It's in TPT's house, Room 108, I think (Leodor Gaspard) if anyone wants to see it in person.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Bolow posted:

So I finally finished level DRK to 70. So uh Myste is definitely some fragment of my psyche, I'm assuming regret? Good story, I liked the 65 quest in particular

You're likely correct. If you haven't read them already the journal entries are fun for the SB quests. This is both because Fray/Esteem is still writing them but also because it implies you sort of knew all along what was happening and went along with it because you actually did help a couple of people out.

Incidentally as somebody pointed out a while ago Myste is meant to really strongly evoke both Haurchefant and Ysayle, so while they didn't really fully spell out everything that happened it's not hard to put it together.

I think I genuinely liked the SB ones better than the 30-50 DRK quests, and a lot of that is because of how it builds on the previous storylines and is weirdly positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

O4S is tantalizingly close to being cleared, we just have issues keeping people alive and not making dumb mistakes. It's fascinating looking at our performances and comparing it to the people who cleared the fight in July in 320 gear in the first 48 hours.