Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

God drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Like the ideal position a publisher should have would be 505 Games and Indivisible. If Lab Zero could front half then 505 would front the other half. And they juuuuust made it at the end and that was 2 million over two months.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the evil WEEDthin

also i don't like arguing about labels, especially when it's people i like doing it. some goofballs on my FB are having the dumbest fit right now about how "pop punk" has never existed, how "pop" is always bad, and how the Buzzcocks were "new wave and therefore CRAP". it's so tedious!

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
This isn't the biggest acquisition by EA in terms of money. EA bought Popcap for $650 million with an additional $500 million bonus. Popcap failed to earn a fifth of the bonus and underwent a series of layoffs.

They also bought Pandemic/Bioware for $850 million from Elevations Partners, a private equity firm. The firm was co-founded EA CEO John Riccitiello when he left EA in 2004 before returning to EA in 2007. After the sale, Pandemic was closed down in 2009 by EA after shipping The Saboteur. I'm sure Riccitiello pitched the deal to the EA boardroom out of the kindness of his heart and not an attempt to give his buddies back at Elevations Partners a huge kickback. Oh, and Riccitiello made $4.9 million off the sale due to his ownership of Elevation Partners.

Hopefully, the Respawn acquisition goes better.

Bogart posted:

I know nothing about nothing but can't you just self-publish?

AAA games need a publisher to fund the developers, handle marketing/advertising, and actually publishing the game. Most independent developers don't ship enough AAA games in a year to justify having a large in-house publishing staff. Respawn had a sweetheart deal with EA who provided seed money for the studio, handled marketing, and allowed Respawn to own the Titanfall IP in exchange for publishing rights.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

precision posted:

the evil WEEDthin

also i don't like arguing about labels, especially when it's people i like doing it. some goofballs on my FB are having the dumbest fit right now about how "pop punk" has never existed, how "pop" is always bad, and how the Buzzcocks were "new wave and therefore CRAP". it's so tedious!

Music arguments are literally the worst. I would rather argue about "are hot dogs sandwiches" and "is chili a stew" than loving music.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Never mind the Buzzcocks.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
how is chili not a stew

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

Music arguments are literally the worst. I would rather argue about "are hot dogs sandwiches" and "is chili a stew" than loving music.

:hf: no doubt. It's all the worse because I am a musician and I kind of have to deal with this poo poo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bogart posted:

how is chili not a stew

Look man, the soup vs. stew wars are still raging in dark corners of the earth.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
When did this thread become PYF

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Titanfall 4 to be developed by DICE

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Codeacious posted:

finally the sequel to battlefield 2142

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad posted:

hot dogs are sandwiches. not my opinion--it's the law, citizen

Olive! posted:

When did this thread become PYF
it can't be, i don't see any bad posters

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

punk is a sandwich

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Really Pants posted:

punk is a sandwich

Punk is a crap sandwich. The more bread you have, the less crap you gotta take.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

The White Dragon posted:

hot dogs are sandwiches. not my opinion--it's the law, citizen

Every poster arguing about food here is a bad poster

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

precision posted:

Punk is a crap sandwich. The more bread you have, the less crap you gotta take.

But Bread was a soft rock band! This is all so confusing.

Managed to get rid of a bad CoD and Assassin's Creed for a straight trade on a bad Batman (Origins), and it's pretty OK so far. Surprisingly good looking for a PS3 game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That sucks about respawn

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I'm always surprised when I hear EA is still in business. I guess there are still a ton of people buying Madden and The Sims every year :shrug:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Reality Winner posted:

I'm always surprised when I hear EA is still in business. I guess there are still a ton of people buying Madden and The Sims every year :shrug:

ea is loving gigantic man what do you expect lol

they loving closed down the people who made the sims and could afford to just make another studio to continue it, and they have the exclusive license to make freakin star wars games

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

In Training posted:

That sucks about respawn

Don't worry. They'll be forced to make Titanfall 3 on Frostbite, run into development hell due to technical issues, get closed down, and have Titanfall 3 finished by another EA studio subsidized by the Quebec government.

Reality Winner posted:

They've been more profitable than ever before since they kicked out John Riccitiello and his strategy of competing in every product category. Instead, they adopted the Acti-Blizzard model of consolidating resources on sure-fire bets and high growth products. It also helps that most of their games have very aggressive monetization systems.

Andrew Wilson might look like a James Bond villain but he brings in money like a James Bond villain.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Frostbite is designed for FPS games so hopefully Respawn will have a much easier time of working with it than BioWare or Visceral did. Hell, Madden runs on Frostbite even but they are the core pillar of EA's power and probably got tons of support direct from DICE

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Oh I guess they own FIFA too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sunning posted:

Andrew Wilson might look like a James Bond villain but he brings in money like a James Bond villain.

I had never seen someone wear a suit jacket with, like, leather lapels until I saw the EA CEO

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

PYF video game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Fallout 2

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How can you force me to choose just one game???

Its Pikmin 2

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

PYF video game

it's pokemon

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

PYF video game
its tetris and I will bury anyone who disagrees in bricks

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Codeacious posted:

Current day DICE? :barf:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

PYF video game

Facebook

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

The White Dragon posted:

Turn *on* your monitor

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

PYF bit of video game merch

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

homeless snail posted:

its tetris and I will bury anyone who disagrees in bricks

I will disappear you like a completed row.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Frostbite is designed for FPS games so hopefully Respawn will have a much easier time of working with it than BioWare or Visceral did. Hell, Madden runs on Frostbite even but they are the core pillar of EA's power and probably got tons of support direct from DICE

DICE makes the jankiest AAA shooters, I can't imagine something fast and active like Titianfall on their awful engine.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i’d have to think about it but my gut reaction favorite video game is either bastion or hotline miami

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:rip: Respawn. Titanfall 2 is a hell of a game to go out on though :patriot:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Reality Winner posted:

Reality Winner posted:

Oh I guess they own FIFA too.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i also had no idea that EA bought popcap, the company poised to be Zynga before there was a Zynga, and ate it like saturn devouring his son

i guess i knew in the back of my mind because they tried to make plants versus zombies into gears of war

• Locked thread