Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tars Tarkas posted:

Rian Johnson will be making the next Star Wars trilogy after the current one ends, I guess they like the early cut of The Last Jedi!
Hell yeah, kicking Colin Trevorrow out and going all in on Rian Johnson. Now that's a thing I can get behind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They're not even taking a break after ep 9 I guess

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They're not even taking a break after ep 9 I guess

I guess not, but it sounds like it won't be another numbered saga trilogy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh ok. Well that could be cool, like if they did an old republic era film

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Oh ok. Well that could be cool, like if they did an old republic era film

Assuming they can keep the new actors around I bet they continue the storyline, they're just not going to call it Episode 10

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Derek Connolly (Jurassic World, Kong Skull Island) has been taped to write Metal Gear Solid according to Variety

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/jurassic-world-derek-connolly-pen-sonys-metal-gear-solid-pic-1202610438/

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The parts of Mummy 3 that are a Jet Li/Michelle Yeoh kung fu movie are good. The parts of Mummy 3 that are a "The Mummy" movie are bad.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Derek Connolly (Jurassic World, Kong Skull Island) has been taped to write Metal Gear Solid according to Variety

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/jurassic-world-derek-connolly-pen-sonys-metal-gear-solid-pic-1202610438/

Kong director Jordan Vogt-Roberts have also been talking a lot with Hideo Kojima, but I don't know how much involvement Kojima has with the movie since I assume it's still under Konami.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The team behind Kong Skull Island working on Metal Gear Solid would be a loving dream come true for me.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The team behind Kong Skull Island working on Metal Gear Solid would be a loving dream come true for me.

I'm here, in a dream, skuuuull islaaaaaand!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm here, in a dream, skuuuull islaaaaaand!
Someday you go through the jungle
Someday you befriend a gorrilllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Skwirl posted:

Assuming they can keep the new actors around I bet they continue the storyline, they're just not going to call it Episode 10

Supposedly it'll be "an unexplored corner of the universe" with all new characters.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
The idea of a Metal Gear Solid movie weirds me out so much; batshit plot aside the thing that makes that game so memorable is the very creative ways in which it uses its medium to interact with the player ("SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE!", using the codec number in the manual to reach an important contact). You're going to lose a lot of that magic trying to turn it into a movie; no interacting with the viewer and the plot is probably going to get pared down to its most basic elements. Like, why even bother at that point?

Edit: And thats not even getting started on MGS2. How the gently caress do you even approach THAT!?

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 10, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

The idea of a Metal Gear Solid movie weirds me out so much; batshit plot aside the thing that makes that game so memorable is the very creative ways in which it uses its medium to interact with the player ("SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE!"). You're going to lose a lot of that magic trying to turn it into a movie; no interacting with the viewer and the plot is probably going to get pared down to its most basic elements. Like, why even bother at that point?
I hope it breaks the fourth wall and fucks with the audience in a similar way to how something like Funny Games did.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Kong director means the helicopter action is going to be on point.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Tars Tarkas posted:

Rian Johnson will be making the next Star Wars trilogy after the current one ends, I guess they like the early cut of The Last Jedi!

There's going to be another one of these Star Wars trilogies? Like, does no one have the desire to come up with something new other than to bathe in easy nostalgia of time past?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Kong director means the helicopter action is going to be on point.

I hope it's a shot-for-shot remake of The Twin Snakes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gatts posted:

There's going to be another one of these Star Wars trilogies? Like, does no one have the desire to come up with something new other than to bathe in easy nostalgia of time past?

New things are made all the time. You can watch those if you like.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Kong owns but also here's a really good interview with the director where he talks about getting the MGS movie "right," which gave me a lot of faith in it.

http://collider.com/jordan-vogt-roberts-interview-destiny-2-cinema-sins/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gatts posted:

You realize that like 90% of Hollywood movies are sequels/prequels/remakes and have been for a long time, right?

At least these will be sequels with someone with genuine creativity and vision behind them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm pretty sure the guy who did Skull Island 100% knows what to do with an MGS movie

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
And nobody thought to mention that he was also trying to make a The Star's My Destination Movie? Which of these are you least excited for:

1. Everyone can teleport from any location they know to any other location they know within 1000~ miles and this societies prisons
2. Cybernetic Count of Monte Cristo, so rich he rides a train to parties, whose blush betrays his TIGER FACE TATTOO
3. Romantic interlude as the main character and a villain's daughter watch and describe the bombardment of New York with each other
4. Kidnapping a telepathic "baby", using them to interrogate a ex-captain turned monk with their 5 senses surgically disabled
5. The main character gathers all the principal players to discuss what they want him to do according to the ideas/morals that they represent, then the Robot Bartender has the final word

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The cutscene director for Twin Snakes directed Godzilla Final Wars.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Gatts posted:

The literal corporate mandate from Disney is that there will be a Star Wars movie every year, forever.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tars Tarkas posted:

Him getting to do an entire trilogy sounds super sweet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The literal corporate mandate from Disney is that there will be a Star Wars movie every year, forever.

Part of the reason I'm surprised there isn't a concentrated and serious push for Wheel of Time movies is that, if they're successful, you could have a movie every year or two for decades without even having to deviate from the books.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It's gonna be like the Hunger Games where parents will offer their kids as tribute in exchange for payment to Hollywood and be signed for a movie franchise. Behind the Scenes documentaries will be horror movies on their survival in Hollywood system.

"I was barely 5 when I was caste into the Wheel of Time Franchise. You?"
"I was birthed during Resident Evil 65 as part of a messiah storyl..."
"LMAO EVERYONE LOOK AT THIS LOSER IN RESIDENT EVIL FRANCHISE!"

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

I hope they just give the original MacGyver pilot a theatrical release.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gatts posted:

They said Johnson will work on unexplored parts of the Star Wars universe. This is what they define as "new".

precision posted:

i'm pretty sure the guy who did Skull Island 100% knows what to do with an MGS movie

I'm also not surprised if Kojima is a fan of the Vietnam War styling of Kong.

They don't have to adapt the games even if they will do that. There's probably many things about the series the games haven't covered.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
No nanomachines? No dice.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If it wouldn't be incredibly intrusive, I could see the home version of the movie Psycho Mantis fight connecting to your Facebook account and him saying "You're thinking of someone you love" and him pulling up a picture of your wife/husband/SO/children/dog.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

precision posted:

Part of the reason I'm surprised there isn't a concentrated and serious push for Wheel of Time movies is that, if they're successful, you could have a movie every year or two for decades without even having to deviate from the books.

Anyone at all familiar with the plot of Crossroads of Twilight might disagree with you there. :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
All I remember from when I read CoT is that literally nothing happens in it. Jordan pulled the "let's just see things from other people's point of view without advancing the plot" before and (from what I understand, having not read AFFC) even worse than GRRM.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

If it wouldn't be incredibly intrusive, I could see the home version of the movie Psycho Mantis fight connecting to your Facebook account and him saying "You're thinking of someone you love" and him pulling up a picture of your wife/husband/SO/children/dog.

I hope it does this for every streaming service you watch the movie on. "I see you like House of Cards. I've known about the Spacey thing since I read his mind years ago." "You watch Lore? The narrator's voice annoys even me."

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

habituallyred posted:

And nobody thought to mention that he was also trying to make a The Star's My Destination Movie? Which of these are you least excited for:

1. Everyone can teleport from any location they know to any other location they know within 1000~ miles and this societies prisons
2. Cybernetic Count of Monte Cristo, so rich he rides a train to parties, whose blush betrays his TIGER FACE TATTOO
3. Romantic interlude as the main character and a villain's daughter watch and describe the bombardment of New York with each other
4. Kidnapping a telepathic "baby", using them to interrogate a ex-captain turned monk with their 5 senses surgically disabled
5. The main character gathers all the principal players to discuss what they want him to do according to the ideas/morals that they represent, then the Robot Bartender has the final word

Ive been saying this for years ,the stars my destination is perfect for a movie adaption because its a redemption arc and a swashbuckling epic and a revenge story and a techno thriller and has an apropriate but good amount of weirdness. And " i'll kill you filthy!" is just a fantastic swear.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Ive been saying this for years ,the stars my destination is perfect for a movie adaption because its a redemption arc and a swashbuckling epic and a revenge story and a techno thriller and has an apropriate but good amount of weirdness. And " i'll kill you filthy!" is just a fantastic swear.

It could do without the rape scene though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

precision posted:

All I remember from when I read CoT is that literally nothing happens in it. Jordan pulled the "let's just see things from other people's point of view without advancing the plot" before and (from what I understand, having not read AFFC) even worse than GRRM.

Otoh he actually advanced the plot after that book AND managed to effect the conclusion of the series.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The one problem with The Stars My Destination is it's too late for Harvey Keitel to play the lead.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Bar Crow posted:

I hope they just give the original MacGyver pilot a theatrical release.

holy gently caress does that new Macgyver show suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The idea of a Metal Gear Solid movie weirds me out so much; batshit plot aside the thing that makes that game so memorable is the very creative ways in which it uses its medium to interact with the player ("SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE!", using the codec number in the manual to reach an important contact). You're going to lose a lot of that magic trying to turn it into a movie; no interacting with the viewer and the plot is probably going to get pared down to its most basic elements. Like, why even bother at that point?

Edit: And thats not even getting started on MGS2. How the gently caress do you even approach THAT!?

Honestly, the batshit plot really accounts for a lot. If they just did a direct adaptation of Snake Eater, without any of the fourth-wall stuff, it would be a bad loving rear end movie and wouldn't really require them to touch any of the extra-weird stuff.

• Locked thread