Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Eyud posted:

I think this means Titanfall 3 will be awesome, then EA will start meddling, then West and Zampella will give em the birds and walk out to start a new studio where they make an even better series.

West has been long gone before Titanfall 1 ever came out. Jason West clashed with most of the studio and uh, gave the studio the bird and split. It's been Vince Zampella running the show from since then on.

It was mentioned in the Making of Titanfall documentary that's only available in some lovely app by Geoff Keighley that is actually pretty interesting and shows that Titanfall 1 was barely a game 3 months before launching (They only had 1 Titan type in December before their March launch). Also I guess Polygon has an article about the West and Zampella fallout.

quote:

A person close to the company says that revelations about West's erratic behavior at Activision, which came out during the depositions, upset Zampella. "Vince felt that Jason was sabotaging the company," says the source. As the Respawn team scrambled to finish Titanfall, West was barely coming to the office. In March, he officially parted ways with his longtime partner, moving his family to North Carolina and leaving Zampella in control of Respawn. In an interview in April, Zampella refused to elaborate on what had separated them-except to say, "It's hard to work with one person for 15 years."

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

:thunk:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/928746577174282240

All of these replies are just all "rip" "condolences" "don't do it" "should we get the shovel ready?"

The only congratulatory reply that I've found was:

https://twitter.com/johntdrake/status/928751395406151680

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I wanted to say "Man, that sucks." but I won't. I can be optimistic.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:stonklol:

I mean...it sort of worked. There is no way Activision will be making a mech-based COD at this point, :laffo: they literally had to remake Frontline to keep their flagging series alive.

This is in my opinion true. TF2 while not having the playerbase of the last CoD (basically due to all the parents buying it to their screaming kids), was better in everything and even kept a small but solid playerbase. The SP is still important for players and being honest, last CoD with a "fun" SP or at least enjoyable was black ops 1 because of the vietnam setting and the silly number poo poo. And that was 2010 (MW3 in 2011 was loving poo poo and everything after).

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Not everyone is despairing

https://twitter.com/TheMasterHunt/status/928747175013740545

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

:thunk:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/titanfall/titanfall-online-nexon-cat-mech

What is going on. I love this but, what is going on.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Clearly it's an attempt to siphon some D.Va players from Overwatch!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Obviously the they were in talks for a while, but it's just really weird timing what with Visceral being shuttered, and the Bioware studio that made ME:A being torn apart recently.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mordja posted:

Obviously the they were in talks for a while, but it's just really weird timing what with Visceral being shuttered, and the Bioware studio that made ME:A being torn apart recently.

Visceral wasn't a brand name in the same way as the other studios, I think, but yeah, in the aftermath of the Andromeda mess I think EA is feeling like it wants to lock down some assets...and their portfolio isn't so hot this year so I'd say Respawn probably came into this game with a good hand.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Just watch, Anthem is going to bomb, because it's a Destiny trendchaser rather than being a game made for its own merits, and then the entire Bioware name will become history.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Titanfall 3. Powered by Frostbite 3.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Visceral wasn't a brand name in the same way as the other studios, I think, but yeah, in the aftermath of the Andromeda mess I think EA is feeling like it wants to lock down some assets...and their portfolio isn't so hot this year so I'd say Respawn probably came into this game with a good hand.

And of course there'll be no reflection on how EA corporate culture played a role in the Andromeda mess. Or Visceral and Dead Space 3.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Alehkhs posted:

Oh god. I forgot about their across the board Frostbite engine requirement for all studios. I hope this isn't a loving thing and replaces the 4 years of work they put into the Source engine but jesus, what a loving bummer.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Alehkhs posted:

Yeah, this would be the worst result of it all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Titanfall is a multiplayer first person shooter with vehicles though so it would fit the bill for what the engine was made to do, unlike mass effect

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Wazzit posted:

Oh god. I forgot about their across the board Frostbite engine requirement for all studios. I hope this isn't a loving thing and replaces the 4 years of work they put into the Source engine but jesus, what a loving bummer.

:sigh: the priorities of Frostbite are very mismatched with Respawn’s historical priorities of a responsive, smooth experience

The EA buyout reminds me of this quote from Zampella around the launch of the game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Digirat posted:

Titanfall is a multiplayer first person shooter with vehicles though so it would fit the bill for what the engine was made to do, unlike mass effect

No, actually it's a total mismatch. The physics properties of nearly everything in TF are very carefully tuned, it's not just about looking good...it's also about crunching numbers in a way that yields predictable results for the player.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

what does that sentence mean

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wazzit posted:

Wait what? EA seriously forces everyone to use Frostbite? I mean, Frostbite is amazing in BF1 but I don't get why this is a thing. gently caress this.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

Wait what? EA seriously forces everyone to use Frostbite? I mean, Frostbite is amazing in BF1 but I don't get why this is a thing. gently caress this.

From the profile about Visceral Games's failed Star Wars project:

quote:

There was the engine, Frostbite, which had never been used to make a third-person action-adventure game. In the video game world, an “engine” is a collection of code that is reused across games, often including basic, boring features like physics simulators, graphics renderers, and animation systems. For the past half-decade, EA has mandated that all of its studios use the Frostbite engine, which was designed by the EA studio DICE in Sweden to make Battlefield games.

Frostbite had been challenging enough for Visceral during Hardline’s development, and that was a Battlefield game. For Ragtag, Visceral would have to build key features from scratch. Like BioWare on Dragon Age and Mass Effect, Visceral found itself trying to make a third-person game on an engine built for first-person shooters. “It was missing a lot of tools, a lot of stuff that was in Uncharted 1,” said a former employee. “It was going to be a year, or a year and a half’s work just to get the engine to do things that are assumed and taken for granted.”

Also I think I'd rather have EA's negligence compared to Titanfall suffering the same fate as LawBreakers, also published by Nexon.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/928752593354059776?s=17

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

Wazzit posted:

quote:

While it wasn’t necessary, going with EA made a lot of sense.
Oh loving whatever. gently caress off. gently caress this. gently caress all of this.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Godzilla07 posted:

From the profile about Visceral Games's failed Star Wars project:

Also I think I'd rather have EA's negligence compared to Titanfall suffering the same fate as LawBreakers, also published by Nexon.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/928752593354059776?s=17

Wow, that's incredibly hosed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it was blamed for a huge amount of the trouble in mass effect andromeda's development since a tool designed to make large-scale multiplayer first person shooters is perhaps not the best tool for making like half of mass effect's bullet points, such as detailed animations. I wonder how much time they had to spend reinventing the wheel on things that unreal already provided.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I wonder how much water that theory that EA pushed TF2 out the door at a bad time in the year all to lower the price of Respawn holds. It's really :tinfoil: but also EA has a long record of sucking poo poo so it makes it a little believable.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Digirat posted:

what does that sentence mean

What does anything ever mean?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I know it's kotaku and whatever but I guess Titanfall 3 is confirmed??

https://twitter.com/seamoosi/status/928745995151822848

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Better get the shovels out. Respawn is as good as dead.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I know it's kotaku and whatever but I guess Titanfall 3 is confirmed??

https://twitter.com/seamoosi/status/928745995151822848

And if you want a reason to believe:

https://twitter.com/GameAnim/status/928754900393062400

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Does this mean when TF3 has tons of bugs due to using Frostbite we'll see a lot of :dice: in the thread? :ohdear:

EA can't be stupid enough to impose Frostbite on them, can they? Yes, I know they can and are.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Lumpy posted:

Does this mean when TF3 has tons of bugs due to using Frostbite we'll see a lot of :dice: in the thread? :ohdear:

EA can't be stupid enough to impose Frostbite on them, can they? Yes, I know they can and are.

Maybe having two semi successful games on the source engine will be enough to keep them from doing it. The idea of blowing up bunkers to get to the soft chewy pilots inside is kind of seductive though...maybe they'll fix the bugs in frostbite this time, and [studio becomes defunct]

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lumpy posted:

EA's made it very clear they want all their studios using Frostbite. It was brought up in regards to ME: Andromeda's development.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

:rip: Respawn.

Doesn't matter if it's next year or next decade, they're doomed. They're already on the long slippery slide toward being shut down for not making googolbux because EA's hamfisted cashgrabbing bullshit sours their fanbase.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I was interested in Star Wars Battlefront 2 and then I watched a quick preview and right there on the main menu screen is a big button that says "GET MORE CRATES" and it's like SEE YA! Not gonna do this poo poo anymore, sorry.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
I guess this means I'll be able to microtransact my way to the best Titan before even playing multiplayer.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
well gently caress. this is the first time a studio I've really loved since the start got sucked into the EA black hole. hope they manage to stick around and keep doing cool poo poo but :yikes:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It usually takes awhile so I wouldn't worry. Like Visceral got to make 4 and a half games over around 9 years, the industry or EA could change massively in that amount of time.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah let’s pump the brakes a bit and not freak out yet, at the very least we’ll be able to enjoy a TF3 albeit with some loot 📦

It’s an inevitable slow death, see how long they can ride it out

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

They may even create another studio called Respawned and make good stuff after that, or EA changes... Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Maybe the devs will leave and start their own studio and give us FitanTall: Space Frontier pilots Battle Evil Corp