Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That game is okay, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's still either Symphony of the Night or Super Metroid for me.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If I bought Popcap I guess I would say 'make more peggle/bejeweled/that bookworm game' but what do I know

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
remember State of Emergency

haha yeah nobody does, especially since Dead Rising is apparently the exact same game but with zombies

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
My roommate at the time and I had a lot of fun playing State of Emergency back in the day. Even bought State of Emergency 2 which was... not good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
What happened to Popcap after EA got them sucks but it was also the only route they could have gone so it's hard to get that mad at EA over that one. Like Popcap were making mobile style games you had to pay and it's really hard to get people to pay for those style of games these days, even if they're really good. Their games would have gone F2P without EA.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Cowcaster posted:

i also had no idea that EA bought popcap, the company poised to be Zynga before there was a Zynga, and ate it like saturn devouring his son

i guess i knew in the back of my mind because they tried to make plants versus zombies into gears of war

“We picked EA because they have recast their culture around making great digital games,” said David Roberts, CEO of PopCap. “By working with EA, we'll scale our games and services to deliver more social, mobile, casual fun to an even bigger, global audience.”

--

"Our new EA partnership is already proving to be both positive and productive," said Mr. Resnick [President of Pandemic Studios]. "Pandemic Studios prides itself upon its creative independence while being the best place for top industry talent to work. These values continue to be upheld by all levels of EA and we couldn't be more excited about the future of our studio and our games."

--

"While it wasn’t necessary, going with EA made a lot of sense. With Titanfall and Star Wars, EA has been a great development partner that supports us and doesn’t interfere with our process for making games or studio culture. EA will provide us with more resources, access to new technologies, and expertise that we can tap into to that will help us make better games, and Respawn will retain the same creative freedom and culture we’ve always had. We’ve been talking closely with the leadership at EA and we share their values and vision for the future of being a developer-focused company that puts the players first." - Vince Zampella

Hmm....

Help Im Alive posted:

If I bought Popcap I guess I would say 'make more peggle/bejeweled/that bookworm game' but what do I know

The issue with Popcap is that they didn't adapt to trends in the casual gaming segment. Most notably, developers were putting a fewer amount of casual games on mobile devices, using F2P monetization, and supporting them with deeper gameplay. Popcap had a scattershot approach that failed to get traction against genre leaders.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

remember State of Emergency

haha yeah nobody does, especially since Dead Rising is apparently the exact same game but with zombies

its the best game rockstar made, that and Warriors

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

In Training posted:

Only because Lemmings was back when they were DMA Design :colbert:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
State of Emergency was terrible.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

In Training posted:

rock star's best game was space station silicon valley

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The White Dragon posted:

rock star's best game was space station silicon valley

Yeah, changing my vote to this.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

EA's modus operandi has been to suppress labor consciousness and thus labor costs as much as possible, and extract their profits from those margins whenever they can. This was already clear years back with EA_Spouse, among other things.

When they work with independent studios, from their perspective they are working with laborers who believe in an illusory notion of independence and agency. By acquiring those studios, they can decapitate any leadership on the development side (who also harbor the illusion of creative independence) and create fear for job security among the workers. When they shutter a studio, yes, part of the labor force disperses, but they can easily rehire and repurpose many of those workers, who no longer have an identity under a unique studio name, and who can be transplanted to any of the dozens of "EA ______" studios to perform interchangeable labor. This also may involve these workers moving across the country, which they will do because of fear of being pushed out of the job market entirely, and which makes them even more atomized as laborers and more easily controlled by management.

This is also why EA is one of the biggest proponents of setting up film school-style programs for game development at universities -- it allows them to flood the job market with a bunch of young people who pay for their own training and who in aggregate create even more pressure on current workers to accept worse conditions and worse pay, lest they be replaced by someone who is willing to work for a fraction of the salary

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Hot take for everybody except cjacobs
It's Max Payne 3

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

What happened to Popcap after EA got them sucks but it was also the only route they could have gone so it's hard to get that mad at EA over that one. Like Popcap were making mobile style games you had to pay and it's really hard to get people to pay for those style of games these days, even if they're really good. Their games would have gone F2P without EA.
pvz 2 was f2p, and its horrible

I actually kinda like the garden warfare games though...

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Garden Warfare games had lootboxes before they were cool.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

PYF video game

Realmz obviously.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tap my mountain posted:

Hot take for everybody except cjacobs
It's Max Payne 3

*goes to check how much that costs on the PS store*

huh, still $30.

and the bundle that has RDR and Max Payne 3 both is also $30 lmao

i'm so close to clicking "add to cart"... ugh... but i have so many games already

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jay Rust posted:

PYF video game

mgs 3

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You can play another shooter you already own with a HEALTH album playing in the background and get 60%-70% of the experience

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=999RqGZatPs

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You can play another shooter you already own with a HEALTH album playing in the background and get 60%-70% of the experience

Shoot dodging in Max Payne 3 is so fuckin' good with the ragdoll effects. Really forces you to not be a gently caress up. Shooters really don't try to do this anymore, and it's a drat shame.

Red Dead is a Game of the Generation, so get the bundle.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jay Rust posted:

PYF video game

castlevania: rondo of blood
star fox 64
dynamite headdy
tales of berseria
wario world

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my favorite game is probably like Bloodborne or Majora's Mask.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh i didn't know we were doing more than one

mgs3
majora's mask
nuclear throne
sonic adventure 2
star fox 64

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

How many players will plunkbat lose when it can no longer be run on toasters?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Phantasium posted:

It's still either Symphony of the Night or Super Metroid for me.

How many times have you gotten into metroidvania arguments?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Looking forward to seeing a new shade of brown in my preferred YouTubers' PUBG videos. I'm being mostly sincere.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the game is incredibly resource intensive and unoptimized, i don't know where the idea came from that people are playing it on a dumpster attached to a monitor

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

chumbler posted:

PUBG is incredibly resource demanding actually

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chumbler posted:

none

one of my goon friends got gifted a copy of pubg and could barely run it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jay Rust posted:

PYF video game

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Star Wars: Rogue Leader
Metal Gear Solid 2
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt
Max Payne 3

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have way more favorite games than the five i listed but it would take forever to list all of them so i went in order of a mix of five most favorite and most unusual picks

though i guess sf64 doesn't really fit that

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

nachos posted:

How many times have you gotten into metroidvania arguments?

Over the years it's become abundantly clear that anything that's not an actual Metroid or Castlevania I don't typically give a gently caress about so I don't really care what indie trash uses that label anymore.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The Garden Warfare games had lootboxes before they were cool.
yeah and EA loved it so much that battlefront 2 has essentially the same progression lmao

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Jay Rust posted:

PYF video game

Killer7
Dead Rising
Bloodborne
Bayonetta
Super Mario 3

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Deus Ex / Majora’s Mask. I’d put Fallout New Vegas in one of the slots if the engine wasn’t a disaster.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 10, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

homeless snail posted:

yeah and EA loved it so much that battlefront 2 has essentially the same progression lmao

Jim Sterling praised Garden Warfare 2 for not having real money loot boxes and EA of course patched in buyable currency like a week later.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I really want Battlefront 2 to be good. I want it to be fun. Someone tell me everything will be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I can't believe how bad Sonic Forces looks and sounds

• Locked thread