Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
GameStop's always carried tons of toys and poo poo like that. Main thing is just they basically don't bother to carry more than a few PC games anymore, and they reclaimed all the space those boxes used to take up for more toy racks et cetera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
its this jacket, but i'm not a model, and it was more well worn

can't find that on amazon

inside the zipper breast pocket over the heart is where someone had written some poetry or lyrics in french, and in the left pocket had cut into the lining to make a secret pocket. my historical punk jacket

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You must live in a very bougie area if your Goodwill isn't picked over poo poo

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
what kind of class traitor goes to goodwill instead of independent thrift stores

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Ah yes, the bucolic, bougie splendor of Baltimore

boner confessor posted:

inside the zipper breast pocket over the heart is where someone had written some poetry or lyrics in french, and in the left pocket had cut into the lining to make a secret pocket. my historical punk jacket

That's slick as hell, and the more men who walk around looking like 90s Britpop/Eurotrash dudes the better, imo.

As long as we're sharing, I recently scored this monstrosity:

Lighter for scale. It's real snakeskin and leather, and I'm fairly certain it's handmade and pretty old. How snakes and seashells are related I do not know, but I've gotten an insane amount of compliments on the thing, it fits all my day-to-day garbage, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to run into anyone else with one

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 10, 2017

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"How can we possibly shop for clothes online with sizes being weird!" seems like the most solvable problem possible. It seems like it'd be really insane for any retailer to bank on that being true in any sort of long term.

Like even if some sort of laser scan, iphone app or ship 3 and mail 2 back scheme is forever unworkable it just hinges on praying that for the rest of time fashion never turns to anything baggy or loose fitting ever again where sizing matters less. Like stores shouldn't count on some mainstream version of pants sagging never being a thing again as a long term business model.

I think eventually brands are going to become irrelevant for "style" and clothing is just going to turn into a commodity where companies will stick to their niche of t shirts or dresses and just offer a bunch of varieties of one thing while people pick and choose based off those mommy blogs where they post a picture of a paper doll outfit with links to a bunch of different retailers selling the individual clothes online.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
like have you people never been to a nordstroms or something where they measure you for a shirt or pants and have to take measurements of your shoulder length, torso length, and stuff like that? The numbers they get for those are used across pretty much every brand in the upper levels of clothing. It's only recently with "botique" retailers like h&m and express in poo poo where you run into the issue of the various sizes for generic terms of "small, medium, and large"

if you get the numbers or go to a tailor you can just plug them into the amazon search filter and find something in your exact size, all amazon has to do is promote getting sized up for clothes and they'll have pretty much solved the issue of finding poo poo that fits online

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

duz posted:

I noticed that Think Geek has a storefront at the local mall I go to. I've never seen so many Funkopops in one place.

Someone said "Funko Pops are just Precious Moments figurines for manchildren" and I haven't been able to look at them the same way since, because :drat: is that accurate.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Magius1337est posted:

like have you people never been to a nordstroms or something where they measure you for a shirt or pants and have to take measurements of your shoulder length, torso length, and stuff like that? The numbers they get for those are used across pretty much every brand in the upper levels of clothing. It's only recently with "botique" retailers like h&m and express in poo poo where you run into the issue of the various sizes for generic terms of "small, medium, and large"

if you get the numbers or go to a tailor you can just plug them into the amazon search filter and find something in your exact size, all amazon has to do is promote getting sized up for clothes and they'll have pretty much solved the issue of finding poo poo that fits online

This only works for men's clothing genius.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cis autodrag posted:

Why? Are you actually familiar with the standard tailoring measurements? What's missing? As long as you know what a brands measurements are, and your own, figuring out fit is some basic math.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Star Man posted:

Returning merchandise isn't hard, but you need to drop off the package for shipping. That can be a complete pain in the rear end for someone that can't leave their job or home easily to take it to the post office or UPS when they're open.

they now offer the ability to leave the package outside your house where usps or whatever will be notified on their next run through and pick it up

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'll gladly ride the bus to the mall to try on clothes so I don't have to float three times the amount of money just to sample two other sizes, seriously what the hell

people like you don't buy clothes often enough to keep this store in business

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

boner confessor posted:

the one thing that sucks about amazon is that it really sucks to find poo poo if you don't know what you're looking for

like if you don't know the exact search term for the item in question there's no real way of browsing and you're just stuck entering in vague terms

it'd be nice if there were virtual "stores" on amazon so I could at least browse poo poo that kinda went together

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

cis autodrag posted:

*enters in cup size and waist measurements*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5UQl47d0Wk

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Magius1337est posted:

Millenials killing sears :argh:

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

got any sevens posted:

Millenials killing sears :argh:

there's always ross and nordstrom rack

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nordstrom Rack is like 90% garbage

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Nordstrom Rack is like 90% garbage

That's true of just about everywhere, though :shrug:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Nordstrom rack is really well made poo poo. The stitching just comes apart in Target, TJ Maxx, Wal-Mart, Kohl's stuff.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Like a lot of the stuff at Nordstrom Rack is clearly seconds with minor imperfections, but it's not loose thread or falls apart after 3-6 months bad like most places.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
with online ordering then there at least won't be as much xtra small and xtra large clogging the discount retailers inventory because they either won't make it or those people who actually wear it can just special order it

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Nordstrom Rack is legit. I used to like Loehmann's and Filene's Basement as well, before they went out of business

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think the retailers that ultimately survive will be the ones that leverage an online presence the best. Zara is really good at this, for example. I might go in, try on some things, buy some things, then buy some similar things on the website, perhaps return some of those in-store so I don't have to deal with the shipping, and then buy something else as I'm in the store again.

If they were online-only or physical-location-only, they'd probably have got only 20% of the sales they did from me.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
See I think an inline store model is going to become the future, something like a small nike store where they at least have clothing you can try on and if they don't have instore stock they'll just order it for you and have it delivered to your house. Instead of trying to have a big store in a mall where you have to carry a lot of inventory you could put a smaller stores in mixed retail areas where you could show off much more variety of clothing.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

call to action posted:

You must live in a very bougie area if your Goodwill isn't picked over poo poo

lol if you think living in a bougie area means goodwill is *less* picked over

The good stuff goes extra fast and the chaff stays around.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Are country auctions a thing for any of you? They're one of the very few thing I miss v about the south.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Magius1337est posted:

See I think an inline store model is going to become the future, something like a small nike store where they at least have clothing you can try on and if they don't have instore stock they'll just order it for you and have it delivered to your house. Instead of trying to have a big store in a mall where you have to carry a lot of inventory you could put a smaller stores in mixed retail areas where you could show off much more variety of clothing.

You are literally describing a perfect business to put into a mall slot.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Elizabeth Mills posted:

Someone said "Funko Pops are just Precious Moments figurines for manchildren" and I haven't been able to look at them the same way since, because :drat: is that accurate.

Those things are beyond loving hideous and I am shocked to this day they ever caught on. Who the gently caress proudly displays those abominations?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
100 new posts because someone brought up videogames. Makes sense.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

HEY NONG MAN posted:

100 new posts because someone brought up videogames. Makes sense.

You have a fuckin' amazing avatar btw

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Magius1337est posted:

Quick, explain cup size to me. Did you know my d cups are twice the size of a smaller woman's d cups? You can't just measure tits and waist and get a good fit. There's huge variation in waist to hip ratio, breast shape differs even in the same "size" of breast which causes all manner of problem fitting in the chest, you can get an identical hip measurement from wide hips with no butt or narrow hips with a big butt and different pants will work for each.

Women are more than just a series of measurements and two women with identical numbers can fit into clothes completely differently.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
just buy your pants a couple sizes too big and wear a belt, what's the big deal

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Magius1337est posted:

No? Nordstrom is expensive; not everyone is going to have the means to shop there like it's an everyday thing instead of that place you go for the one or two really nice outfits you keep in your closet for weddings and whatnot. Half the reason places like H&M took off is because they're cheap as hell. And sizing shirts as just small/medium/large is the norm basically everywhere(except nordstrom, apparently).

Magius1337est posted:

Also I can echo that you have no idea how shopping for women's clothing works. Cup size is completely meaningless by itself, for starters - if you want an approximate boob size, you at least need band size along with cup size. You also have to know the correct cup/band size in the first place, which is a surprising hurdle since a lot of women go by whatever size Victoria's Secret told them and are shocked when they get a better measurement & it turns out it VS was wrong.

Nevermind the part where different women will have different curves in different places, and different ratios of curves than other women, and different body shapes(and therefore a need for different clothing fits) even when the measurement says the size is the same.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 10, 2017

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

Did you know my d cups are twice the size of a smaller woman's d cups?

same

also, for example, I love torrid bc their style is what I'm looking for in clothes as an ex-punk (lol) and I only ever buy stuff when it's on a heavy sale or I have birthday rewards. the bus goes right to the mall so I can get there for less than $4 if I go alone (which... I don't!) and that's cheaper than shipping. I can take 3 different shirts in the same size and they'll all fit completely differently, depending on the cut, the material, and the length. there are shirts that fit me fine except they're way too short because titty. there are shirts that don't fit at all despite being 'my size' because my shoulders are wide and the material isn't stretchy or the sleeves are a weird cut. and then there are shirts I can wear in a size or two smaller than 'my size' because they're a different cut or material.

I can comfortably wear a flared size L tank top from target but their shirts need to be 2X for my chest or else they're too short.

????????

we buy our work boots online but we measured our feet and width so we could get properly fitting shoes. they cost a lot more than some lovely walmart shoes but my husband and I have been wearing the same pairs for 3 years and they're still fine. it's a big investment to drop $90 on a pair of boots and sending them back would be expensive too. so getting it right is important with online shopping and it's not always easy.

e: a lot of women's jeans and stuff also don't have an inseam length listed and I'm lucky I can get 'extra short' 28" with torrid, but most places don't bother. I have the skills to take in or out clothes as needed but that's annoying as hell anyway.

snoo fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 10, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We are long overdue for the future where everything is made out of crystals and everyone wears togas and is really calm all the time.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

We are long overdue for the future where everything is made out of crystals and everyone wears togas and is really calm all the time.

I look awful in drapey clothes, can I wear some kind of shiny jumpsuit or Judy Jetson number instead?

Which in all seriousness is another thing that sucks about women's clothing if you're limited to the mall or wherever- if the trends that year don't suit you or just aren't to your taste, good luck finding anything anywhere

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 10, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Magius1337est posted:

That's because I'm poor and only buy clearance.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Inescapable Duck posted:

this is the future liberals want!!!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Magius1337est posted:

The numbers they get for those are used across pretty much every brand in the upper levels of clothing.

Found your problem.

Most people, rather by definition, aren't buying the 'upper levels of clothing'. Bespoke is for people who can afford to pay for someone with the skills to make them look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
The way I see it the only retail stores that are going to survive into the future are:

1 - Niche stores that offer harder to find things at a convenience. A lot of people will rather go to a store to buy something specific if they need it immediately rather than wait for shipping if it's important.

2 - Stores where their merchandise is difficult to be certain on details for (clothing mostly).

3 - Dollar stores. You can get most of the things they have online and if you plan ahead can get it cheaper and have it on time for when you need it. But most people aren't going to buy a laundry hamper online.

With the exception of groceries, most other basic things are going to eventually switch over to online. If you need a toaster but can wait two days, plenty of online stores have them in greater selection and pricing. Same for most other appliances and electronics. Things like tools and power equipment will see most of their stock go online . The exception will be tools that require to be personally adjusted (chainsaws, lawnmowers, leaf blowers etc) as buying a tool you can't handle isn't worthwhile to you if you have to send it back to get a replacement and you need the tool today. Also things that are two impractical to mail back for repair will still require someone local to fix them.