Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Duckbox posted:

I just have to laugh at the lack of self awareness in this thread.

Like twenty different people just posted about how lovely, selfish, and destructive "smokers" are and people who've never met me are saying horrible things about me personally just because I fall under that label, but this is clearly just an objective public policy issue and I deserve nothing but more mockery for suggesting there's any sort of cultural animus at play.

I don't think banning cigarettes in state parks is enforceable (people already drink and do every other drug there). I don't think it will meaningfully effect public health. I think it actually might be dangerous for fire prevention because people who can't smoke in camp grounds will just walk into the bushes to smoke. And if we're really that concerned about errant butts and ash, then maybe we should let people smoke somewhere with an ash can.

Am I actually wrong about any of this, or would this ban still be worth supporting even if all it did was marginalize smoker?

And now you finally understand what it's like to be a gun owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah America definitely has a cultural animus against guns.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Where do you think you are? :ca:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yes because cigarettes are used to violently and suddenly remove 26+ people from their lives on a quarterly basis.

E: p. Sure Elliot Rogers wasn't wielding a stogie when he was blowing away sorority sisters.

E2: think Virginia tech was bad? Imagine that dude with a pack of marlboro.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 10, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Goddammit you fuckers, we just got past cigarette chat and now you have to not only bring it back but fire up gun chat too sdahsdfhksdfhjksdfhkj

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Yes because cigarettes are used to violently and suddenly remove 26+ people from their lives on a quarterly basis.

E: p. Sure Elliot Rogers wasn't wielding a stogie when he was blowing away sorority sisters.

E2: think Virginia tech was bad? Imagine that dude with a pack of marlboro.

Excuse me but the California Department of Health Services assures me that

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that doesn't make the initial argument any less dumb.

E: I want to take away your guns :evil:

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 10, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

We should ban assault cigarettes and extended packs imo

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FCKGW posted:

Goddammit you fuckers, we just got past cigarette chat and now you have to not only bring it back but fire up gun chat too sdahsdfhksdfhjksdfhkj

For some reason, no matter how many times it happens, people just can't not respond to Dead Reckoning.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Shbobdb posted:

I was working on an app with a friend (tentatively named slpr) that would highlight good places for homeless people to sleep and marking dangerous areas. A modern update of the old hobo code, basically. Outreach was through local shelters (we have good connections there) and ad buys in Street Sheet (they are hilariously open to advertising). We'd make money by allowing companies to blacklist their area for a fee.

Everything was set up, we just needed an estimate for how much money it was going to take while we dealt with the legal battle. Extortion is an expensive charge to beat, so we're sitting on it for now until we can find a backer with more capital.

Since it sounds like ethics isn’t a concern, what if you changed the app so that customers could pay a fee to be notified (or, for an additional upsell, the police could automatically be called) any time a homeless person using the app came near a paid area? Wouldn’t that provide a better user experience than just charging them money to not send homeless people to their premises?

It seems like most companies would want their paying customers to like them and willingly pay for the service, is all.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

Dead Reckoning.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

If you outlaw Dead Reckoning, only outlaws will have Dead Reckoning.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Instant Sunrise posted:

If you outlaw Dead Reckoning, only outlaws will have Dead Reckoning.

:ohdear:

hoist with my own petard

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Excuse me but the California Department of Health Services assures me that

Lmao.

I actually sort of do understand where gun owners are coming from despite be a pacifist liberal pussy who hates guns. Arguments that go "some people who use [thing] hurt people, therefore we should ban [thing]" sound really different depending on whether you like [thing] or not.

Like, saying that smokers litter and start fires is as true as saying gun owners shoot people, online gamers harass and threaten other players, drivers run people over and pollute the environment, or people who drink cause public disturbances and commit violent crimes.

I'm not saying those are all actually the same, or that public safety restrictions are inherently oppressive (I don't want people smoking and brandishing weapons on airplanes either), but most of us had that one teacher who made the whole class miss recess because one student broke the rules and that feeling of being punished for something someone else did pushes that same knee-jerk "it's not fair" response for most people.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dead Reckoning posted:

oh i doubt any of us were giants when we were babies

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Colin Mockery posted:

Since it sounds like ethics isn’t a concern, what if you changed the app so that customers could pay a fee to be notified (or, for an additional upsell, the police could automatically be called) any time a homeless person using the app came near a paid area? Wouldn’t that provide a better user experience than just charging them money to not send homeless people to their premises?

It seems like most companies would want their paying customers to like them and willingly pay for the service, is all.

Because the app is for the homeless. You've got to know who your app is for and who is paying for it.

If Facebook or Google actively made purchases for you, you wouldn't use them. Because that would be expensive and bad.

However, people who have money/influence/power wanting things and you finding a way to navigate that while providing a free service to the people most likely to use it -- that's capitalism.

Nobody cares about "good TV". However, advertisers love TV that people watch.

Your quote is a good example of why there are so many failed capitalists out there. I'm serious. "Fleecing" is an important concept because the sheep is still alive after you've got the wool.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shbobdb posted:

Because the app is for the homeless. You've got to know who your app is for and who is paying for it.

If Facebook or Google actively made purchases for you, you wouldn't use them. Because that would be expensive and bad.

However, people who have money/influence/power wanting things and you finding a way to navigate that while providing a free service to the people most likely to use it -- that's capitalism.

Your quote is a good example of why there are so many failed capitalists out there. I'm serious. "Fleecing" is an important concept because the sheep is still alive after you've got the wool.

Yes truly with this mindset we will right all the wrongs of capitalism and find ethical consumption

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yes truly with this mindset we will right all the wrongs of capitalism and find ethical consumption

You are sooooo close to actually making a correct statement here.

But then you veer off at the last moment.

Try again.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't think it's fair to compare people who construct an identity around gun ownership with people who construct an identity around smoking.

Yeah sure the childish sense of entitlement, disregard for the welfare of others, and shrill persecution complex appear similar, but in smokers' defense theirs is a physiological addiction and therefore irrational by definition.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think it's fair to compare people who construct an identity around gun ownership with people who construct an identity around smoking.

Yeah sure the childish sense of entitlement, disregard for the welfare of others, and shrill persecution complex appear similar, but in smokers' defense theirs is a physiological addiction and therefore irrational by definition.

:perfect:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

stone cold posted:

:ohdear:

hoist with my own petard

literally translated that means you got lifted by your own fart, a fine metaphor for politics in general

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

I used to be an occasional cigarette smoker but a big time stoner. Weed was loving up my ability to get things done so I quit and let myself replace it with more cigarettes, because I didn't think I could quit everything at once. It was sort of a devil's bargain, but quitting weed did finally help me get my poo poo together. And the main reason I haven't (really) tried to quit is because I'm terrified of losing my coping mechanism.

Guns can be another kind of coping mechanism. They help insecure people feel safe, powerful, and in control. I'm convinced this is why so many gun owners seem to double down after mass shootings. The rest of us think "holy poo poo guns are scary" but they think "I'm scared, I need my guns."

revolther
May 27, 2008

Duckbox posted:

I'm not saying those are all actually the same, or that public safety restrictions are inherently oppressive (I don't want people smoking and brandishing weapons on airplanes either), but most of us had that one teacher who made the whole class miss recess because one student broke the rules and that feeling of being punished for something someone else did pushes that same knee-jerk "it's not fair" response for most people.
Yes, it does feel unfair when selfish individuals thoughtlessly ruin good things for everyone else around them. That's precisely why we try to impress it upon people as children to be extra considerate and overly cautious because your actions have unforeseen consequences that impact all the people around you.

That was supposed to be a teaching moment where you realized that each individual has a responsibility to the whole group and a role to play in its success.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is cool learning a lot about California right now.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Grand Prize Winner posted:

literally translated that means you got lifted by your own fart, a fine metaphor for politics in general

that would be petar iirc

petard is a small bomb

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Kobayashi posted:

This is cool learning a lot about California right now.

I don't know, laying bare like dissected musculature the sneering elitism and culture war tribalism masquerading as sensible liberal policy on some issues seems like a pretty teachable moment about California politics.

I wasn't trying to get super serious about it, but if people you disagree with consistently feel like you're attacking them personally, maybe it is not just them who has made social issues into a personal identity.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 10, 2017

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Shbobdb posted:

Are you suggesting that advertisers feel about TV watchers the same way that restaurants and other retailers feel about homeless people? I uh, would dispute that. In my experience, advertisers normally like their viewers and are actually incentivized to drive positive interactions between the viewer and the brand, which seems to be the opposite scenario you’re going for — your customers dislike your viewers and want to get rid of them.

How are you going to balance the business needs (“my paying customers want me to get rid of their problem and this is a revenue source”) with the community needs (“homeless people do not like to be treated as a nuisance that should be eradicated”)?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You seem to be misunderstanding the business model. It's an old one that has fallen out of favor largely due to legal concerns. But that is precisely what this app is trying to disrupt.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'm about 20 minutes into this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga9623QQ6j8

Sirens started going off in my head when he was asked about automation and the gig economy, he started talking about how much he loves entrepreneurs.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Sirens started going off in my head when he was asked about automation and the gig economy, he started talking about how much he loves entrepreneurs.

e: Just watched another interview with him. He likes to trot out his 23 small businesses, like as if this makes him look like a hard working genius and not an incredibly rich and connected robot.

e: gently caress

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Definitely a replicant. Probably a Nexus 5.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Instant Sunrise posted:

Definitely a replicant. Probably a Nexus 5.
The 600 series had rubber skin. We spotted them easy, but these are new. They look human... sweat, bad breath, everything. Very hard to spot. I had to wait till he moved on you before I could zero him.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah, it's definitely moving into election season, expect new speech circuit videos every few weeks for the rest of the year. He had this one come out a few weeks ago. He's a big work-requirements-being-tied-to-benefits kinda guy. Also he doesn't like mincome unless it's in the context of eliminating all other government assistance programs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnccrPuc6iU

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 11, 2017

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

revolther posted:

Yes, it does feel unfair when selfish individuals thoughtlessly ruin good things for everyone else around them. That's precisely why we try to impress it upon people as children to be extra considerate and overly cautious because your actions have unforeseen consequences that impact all the people around you.

That was supposed to be a teaching moment where you realized that each individual has a responsibility to the whole group and a role to play in its success.

So you were the pathetic teacher's pet who reflexively supported all authority figures no matter how overbearing or vindictive they were being? And you're proud of this? Obviously it's the bad kids' fault you're stuck doing homework during lunch. There's no possible way it was the teacher that ruined things for everyone else.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Duckbox posted:

So you were the pathetic teacher's pet who reflexively supported all authority figures no matter how overbearing or vindictive they were being? And you're proud of this? Obviously it's the bad kids' fault you're stuck doing homework during lunch. There's no possible way it was the teacher that ruined things for everyone else.

Welp, to be fair it is bad teaching/classroom management to punish a whole class like that for one kid’s misdeed, because most kids will react as you are reacting. If you want to teach kids that their actions have consequences, it’s very important that they actually experience the natural consequences of their behavior, not ones that the teacher manufactures. But drat dude.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Hawkgirl posted:

Welp, to be fair it is bad teaching/classroom management to punish a whole class like that for one kid’s misdeed, because most kids will react as you are reacting. If you want to teach kids that their actions have consequences, it’s very important that they actually experience the natural consequences of their behavior, not ones that the teacher manufactures. But drat dude.

I think how people respond to authority is very important to understanding their political philosophies and those attitudes form early. I spent my whole childhood getting punished for things other kids did (middle child, natch) and after a while it just makes you feel angry and powerless. When you've spent enough hours in detention with guys who just beat you up, you stop believing that rules exist to protect you.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Duckbox posted:

Quite the opposite man, I am wildly anti-authoritarian and always have been; it's just that as an adult I understand how society works and don't think I deserve special treatment in regards to acting like a selfish poo poo head.

You are still sitting here making excuses for smoking laws and exceptions that are based on, "Because I wanna smoke...", weaving stupid classroom metaphors about loving chewing gum in class or something while simultaneously playing too stupid to understand that "hiring janitors and replacing carpet"*wink-wink* costs money "schools"*wink-wink* can be better off spending elsewhere.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

How many GOP congressional seats could potentially be flipped R to D in 2018 in California alone?

Issa?
Rohrbacher?
Duncan Hunter?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Zwabu posted:

How many GOP congressional seats could potentially be flipped R to D in 2018 in California alone?

Issa?
Rohrbacher?
Duncan Hunter?

Eight.

• Jeff Denham
  • David Valadao
  • Steve Knight
  • Ed Royce
  • Dana Rohrbacher
  • Mimi Walters
  • Darrel Issa
  • Duncan Hunter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also Nunes is implicated in the current Russia probe now I think, since he met with Flynn and some Russians and stuff, but his district's pretty red, so unfortunately the best thing there might just be him getting arrested and getting a less-evil Republican. I don't know; Janz, Bliatout, and Franco are all pretty uninspiring.