Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Liquid Communism posted:

Is there interest?

YES! It is the only thing that gives me seasonally appropriate joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

People say chicken thigh tastes much better and has more flavour than chicken breast. Every single time I buy chicken, it's almost exclusively breast meat, unless I buy a whole carcass for a roast. I bought some thighs today, fried them up and ate them, and I just really don't like the taste or texture. I bought free range thighs, cause I'd rather not eat thigh meat from a bird that's trapped in an overcrowded chicken farm. It doesn't taste that great to me, and was also more rubbery than I'm used to.

Am I doing it wrong? They were thigh fillets, so the bones were removed. I know cooking things with chicken on the bone imparts more flavour. I should probably do that instead of buying fillets.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Q8ee posted:

People say chicken thigh tastes much better and has more flavour than chicken breast. Every single time I buy chicken, it's almost exclusively breast meat, unless I buy a whole carcass for a roast. I bought some thighs today, fried them up and ate them, and I just really don't like the taste or texture. I bought free range thighs, cause I'd rather not eat thigh meat from a bird that's trapped in an overcrowded chicken farm. It doesn't taste that great to me, and was also more rubbery than I'm used to.

Am I doing it wrong? They were thigh fillets, so the bones were removed. I know cooking things with chicken on the bone imparts more flavour. I should probably do that instead of buying fillets.

how did you season them and did you cook them thoroughly? chicken thighs can have a really bad taste and texture if not cooked well enough. imo they taste great cooked more than you would think if you're usually cooking chicken breasts.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Thighs are fatty enough to start with that I don't think frying is the best for them. I roast a lot of chicken quarters (leg + thigh + a little back, bone-in, skin-on). You can really cook the crap out of them if that's how you prefer them.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I didn't season them as I was adding them to a ramen broth I'd made. I flash fried them in a wok, and then threw in some stir fry vegetables, then fried a bit longer, and then threw in the ramen broth I made a week or so ago. They had a nice maillard reaction going and were cooked before I even added the broth, and then I simmered it for about 5 minutes.

I may have cocked up by treating them like breast meat. It wasn't very pleasant and was far too rubbery for my taste, plus they didn't taste as amazing as people tout.

But as a side note, expanding on my chicken on the bone comment, that stuff really does add so much flavour. I've always made curries with meat, but my mum told me to use chicken on the bone. And when I make curries that way, the flavour is so much better.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, you definitely have to cook dark meat to a higher temperature than breast meat. If you have a thermometer aim for 165 in the dark meat as opposed to 145 or the breast meat

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I season chicken thighs with a rub and roast for 50-60 minutes at 400f, let rest for 10 minutes.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The higher temp is only so the fat and collagen breaks down (or whatever the scientific reason is), right? I haven't just eaten undercooked thighs, have I? :aaa:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Q8ee posted:

The higher temp is only so the fat and collagen breaks down (or whatever the scientific reason is), right? I haven't just eaten undercooked thighs, have I? :aaa:

Yeah, it's still edible lower than 165F. A big part of tasting food is its texture tho, and I prefer the texture of almost overcooked chicken thigh. I take it to 165+ all the time.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

drat, there's a whole art to cooking thighs I never knew existed.

hit me with a basic and easy recipe that uses thighs. preferably something that accompanies a rice dish. I was going to make a simple curry and just cook both breast and thigh meat in it for variation.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do a whole roast chicken, Bouchon chicken. Cheap, very easy, if you still don't like the thighs you'll also have the breasts, and a bonus carcass.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I also often make a chicken thigh curry in my Instant Pot, better with boneless.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Q8ee posted:

hit me with a basic and easy recipe that uses thighs. preferably something that accompanies a rice dish. I was going to make a simple curry and just cook both breast and thigh meat in it for variation.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/05/butterflied-roasted-chicken-with-quick-jus-recipe.html

if you just want to do thighs:

Boneless/Skinless: either brush with oil (higher smoke point preferred - canola or peanut or whatever), or toss in some. Dress with whatever spices (easy toppings: salt/pepper/oregano), bake at 400*F until thermometer registers 165*F

Bone-in, skin on (preferable): brush (or toss) with oil, you can either use the same baking-powder/salt/pepper mix in kenji's recipe above, to get a crispy skin, or try tucking some fresh herbs underneath the skin. Again bake at 400*F until 165*F, try to avoid having the thermometer next to the bone

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I'm looking at almost four ounces of duck liver pâté that I don't know what to do with. Bought it to enjoy with some cheese and it certainly served that purpose but I want to incorporate the rest into something more creative than that. Any ideas?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

wormil posted:

I also often make a chicken thigh curry in my Instant Pot, better with boneless.

Truth. Once I started using thigh for curry, I never bothered with breast again. It just tastes so much better.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

poop dood posted:

I'm looking at almost four ounces of duck liver pâté that I don't know what to do with. Bought it to enjoy with some cheese and it certainly served that purpose but I want to incorporate the rest into something more creative than that. Any ideas?

Spread on toast for breakfast

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I like chicken breasts because they taste less of chicken and I can mask the flavour with lots of spices.

Some people just don't like chicken. I brined and smoke chicken which I personally never even eat more than a mouthful because I can't stand it, but everyone else around me said it was great and kept requesting it so I gotta keep cooking it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Q8ee posted:

Yo do this with your thighs:

Human Tornada posted:

Also a Moroccan dish.

Chicken with Onions and Chickpeas

2 oz butter
3 onions, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. ground black pepper
3-4 lb bone-in chicken parts (I use thighs for just about everything)
1/8 t. ground saffron threads
1 cinnamon stick
2x 15 oz can chickpeas
3 T. flat leaf parsley, chopped fine, plus extra for garnish
lemon wedges to serve

Melt the butter over medium heat in a dutch over or large saucepan. Add 1/3 onions and cook until softened. Add the ginger, pepper, and chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes, flipping occasionally.

Add 1+1/4 cups water, remaining onion, saffron, cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a low boil and then cover and simmer on low for 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, drain the chickpeas, submerge in cool water, and run them between fingers to loosen the skins. Let the chickpeas sink and skim the floating skins and throw away. Drain the now-skinless chickpeas.

Add the chickpeas and parsley and cover and simmer another 15 minutes.

Extract the chicken, letting as much liquid as possible drain back into the pan.

Heat some butter or oil (or fat you skimmed from the sauce) in a frying pan over high heat and quickly brown the chicken pieces all over. While you're doing this, turn the heat back up on the main dish and reduce it down to however thick you like it. Salt to taste and remove the cinnamon stick.

Put the chicken pieces in some sort of serving vessel and pour the chickpeas and sauce over top of them and garnish with some parsley and lemon wedges. Serve with crusty bread or whatever.
A+ recipe right there and incredibly easy to do. I pulled the skin off the thighs and fried it crispy, then used the chicken fat for part of the butter, and I ended up pulling the meat off the bone to have more of a stew, it was great.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 10, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Q8ee posted:

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2012/06/rusty-chicken-thighs-whats-in-name.html

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Would it be okay to fry some eggs earlier in the day and refrigerate them until they're needed for a dish I'm making tonight? Or would there be a noticeable difference in flavor/texture from if they were cooked on demand?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

how would you reheat them? frying eggs are fast anyway.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

how would you reheat them? frying eggs are fast anyway.

They go in the fried rice as it's cooking so they'd heat up along with it. I guess they are fast I'm just looking for ways to simplify this preparation or make it quicker.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I love all kinds of chicken thigh recipes, but I could eat pan-fried thigh fillets with just salt and pepper for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy — one of life's simplest pleasures, in my opinion.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They go in the fried rice as it's cooking so they'd heat up along with it. I guess they are fast I'm just looking for ways to simplify this preparation or make it quicker.

I doubt the difference in texture would be large enough to ruin the dish. I say go for it and see how it turns out. People leave their tamagoyaki in their bento box most of the day and I've never heard people complain about the texture of it.

PS: thank you all for the chicken thigh recommendations. I'm gonna try a bunch of these recipes over the weekend and see how it turns out.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

DasNeonLicht posted:

I love all kinds of chicken thigh recipes, but I could eat pan-fried thigh fillets with just salt and pepper for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy — one of life's simplest pleasures, in my opinion.

:same:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like my breast at 145, but thighs I will happily take to 180.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have set thighs on actual fire before and they were perfectly cooked. Mind, it was on a grill, and they were covered in a light smear of whiskey bbq sauce. Thighs definitely benefit from abuse.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Q8ee posted:

tikka masala requires some purchasing of spices you likely don't have but the technique is easy (for a relatively inauthentic version) and it's totally worth it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshiJSNBWNs

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Suspect Bucket posted:

I have set thighs on actual fire before and they were perfectly cooked. Mind, it was on a grill, and they were covered in a light smear of whiskey bbq sauce. Thighs definitely benefit from abuse.

Thighs and wings are pretty difficult to overcook, I don't think I've ever hosed them up enough to become inedible. They're probably the easiest cuts of meat to deal with.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Leviathan posted:

tikka masala requires some purchasing of spices you likely don't have but the technique is easy (for a relatively inauthentic version) and it's totally worth it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshiJSNBWNs

perks of being Arab: I have all those spices and enough ghee to rub over my entire body and turn into a slip n slide machine. i'm definitely going to give that recipe a go, but drat did the narrator have the most annoying sing song voice.

who on earth pitches their voice like that?!

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Q8ee posted:

perks of being Arab: I have all those spices and enough ghee to rub over my entire body and turn into a slip n slide machine. i'm definitely going to give that recipe a go, but drat did the narrator have the most annoying sing song voice.

who on earth pitches their voice like that?!

it drove me insane, but once you watch about 20 of them and hear some of his ridiculous puns he starts to grow on you. took me awhile to figure out how this guys channel had so many subs/views

Qubee
May 31, 2013

just cooked beef keema, so tikka masala in the next few days has me excited. I've also been adding

this to my rice and it really adds a nice flair and makes it taste great.

I used to buy all my spices separately (I still do, tbf), but I've recently discovered a love for pre-mixed curry blends. madras powder, mild curry powder, hot curry powder, a coconut curry powder. makes getting in from uni at 7pm and just throwing a meal together in 15 mins so much easier. don't have to whip a recipe out and put various tsps of different spices, I can just bang however many tablespoons the instructions say and it turns out really delicious.

one of the ways I'll know I've made it in life is when I have enough time to blend all my own spices. that's when I'll know life is good. til then, pre-mixed is a lifesaver.

PS: it has been 3 months since I got my instantpot, I still use it for almost all of my meals. 90% of the stuff I cook is cooked in that. and I also bought about 20 reusable little plastic boxes that stack really well. so I've been cooking big batches of food and just portioning it all out and sticking it in the freezer. I can't believe I haven't been doing this before. I can come home and look through the freezer and just grab whatever I feel like, it's great.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 11, 2017

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Chef John definitely sounds weird at first, but I actually love the way he talks in his videos now and I find them to be really good

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Just imagining Chef John's inflection makes me irrationally angry. I can not watch his videos.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I don't notice it anymore. When I started showing some of his videos to my wife she couldn't take it, but it was funny to see her reactions change from "wtf, turn that off" to giggling whenever he does one of his puns.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

poop dood posted:

My friend, have you heard the good word of banh mi?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Jan posted:

My friend, have you heard the good word of banh mi?
Hallelujah!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

Just imagining Chef John's inflection makes me irrationally angry. I can not watch his videos.

just gotta learn to laugh at it and then start doing it occasionally to irritate your spouse :v:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I had some caramels from Marys in Belgium, and they're just so ridiculously buttery and luxurious. Any recipes/tips to making anything approaching that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is there a thread here or a forum you would recommend for advice on cooking bagels?

I have a great recipe I found on chefsteps for everything bagels, and today I tried to alter by doing a cinnamon raisin bagel instead.
They ended up taking a long time to proof enough to float in water before boiling them, and I had to cook them a lot longer. I’m guessing due to the moisture content in the raisins. Anyways, looking for a place to ask what to tweak to improve them next time.