Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The MSJ posted:

This... this is a real magazine cover.

i'm surprisingly ok with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

And isn't this a new development too?

Hmm it may not have been there right from the start in the silver age but I remember it being a thing when I started reading in the 90s. They used to do a lot of "Year One" style stories, so I want to say it was maybe introduced in something like that.

By contrast, Flash Rebirth was only around 5 years old when they worked that storyline into the TV show and cemented it as his official origin.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Another TV news: Ellen Page is the first actor announced for the Netflix adaptation of The Umbrella Academy. She is playing Vanya, the one with no powers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Burkion posted:

It's not though, it's a recent thing. It's like saying the Martian Manhunter being the last Martian is important to his character.

It's his origin. Before he basically had no origin. "He was s police scientist who got struck by lightning and now he's a superhero" is not an origin, there's no motivation, no real pathos to the character, it's amazing it wasn't built on for decades.

You can even change the origin and get rid of the dead mom if you want, but just "dude struck by lightning, is a hero now" is no origin. Flashpoint is basically his first origin that had any thought put into it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nahhhh. People become soldiers and police officers and teachers without experiencing trauma. They could have certainly fleshed out his childhood and made his dad a police officer or gone more into why he loved science and exploration, but not everyone needs to experience loss to become a hero.

I think it would be great to have a character who is driven by his passions and not by something negative. Pathos can (and did) come after that from learning to be a hero and understanding how his powers have changed who he is.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

The MSJ posted:

She is playing Vanya, the one with no powers.

Best protect ya neck.

The real question though: Who is playing Hazle and Cha-Cha?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm reading Ms. Marvel and her origin in terms of motivation is wanting to help her friends and her city and there's nothing dull or boring about her character or the stories. Kamala's new powers have helped her explore her identity and who she wants to be but her early stories have featured zero funerals or any real loss (for her) of anything other than normalcy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spider-Man: A teen is bitten by a spider, and is responsible

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's his origin. Before he basically had no origin. "He was s police scientist who got struck by lightning and now he's a superhero" is not an origin, there's no motivation, no real pathos to the character, it's amazing it wasn't built on for decades.

You can even change the origin and get rid of the dead mom if you want, but just "dude struck by lightning, is a hero now" is no origin. Flashpoint is basically his first origin that had any thought put into it.

Yeah I don't agree at all. I don't think his mom had to get murdered. He did not have a tragic backstory.

It actually kind of sucks as I feel the Flash did not need a tragic backstory, though it is kind of interesting in the story we see it happen. As we follow Thawne as he goes back in time and starts trying to gently caress with his life, doing stuff like erasing a childhood friend from existence, the mom murder, framing dad, killing his dog. But I feel that should have been something that was undone at the end of the story when Thawne was beaten.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah I don't agree at all. I don't think his mom had to get murdered. He did not have a tragic backstory.

It actually kind of sucks as I feel the Flash did not need a tragic backstory, though it is kind of interesting in the story we see it happen. As we follow Thawne as he goes back in time and starts trying to gently caress with his life, doing stuff like erasing a childhood friend from existence, the mom murder, framing dad, killing his dog. But I feel that should have been something that was undone at the end of the story when Thawne was beaten.

That's why I said it didn't need to be the same backstory. He just need A backstory.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean I for sure agree that you can't get away with the Silver Age style "something happened and now they're a super hero" origin.

I just think "a dead parent" is the most cliched version possible at this point and adding it 60 years into a characters existence is a lazy way to add pathos.

It would be more interesting if he successfully saved his mom but that had another cost (which I mean it kinda did, it reset his whole history and erased his nephew from time).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Butterfly Effect it, he erases himself from existence.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle didn't get his powers when his parents died! Well, he got them after Ted Kord died and the scarab got reenergized after a fight where The Spectre killed the Wizard Shazam, but Jaime didn't know that!

And that's not even how it happened in the current continuity since Ted Kord never died now and they have sort of a campier Batman Beyond dynamic going on last I was reading the comic.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

The MSJ posted:

TV news: Amazon just ordered Seth Rogen's adaptation of The Boys to series.

Isn't The Boys supposed to be...kinda dark? Sounds like a weird project for Rogen to take on.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No, it is an origin. It is how he became The Flash, therefore it is an origin. Not everything needs pathos, sometimes poo poo just happens and people then have to deal with it. Why does everything need a loving backstory?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rough Lobster posted:

Isn't The Boys supposed to be...kinda dark? Sounds like a weird project for Rogen to take on.

Have you seen The Interview or This is The End? Both are pretty dark comedies

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
couldn't get through that edgy tryhard garth ennis trash
tbh any adaptation is bound to be a step up from the source material so that's a plus

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

No, it is an origin. It is how he became The Flash, therefore it is an origin. Not everything needs pathos, sometimes poo poo just happens and people then have to deal with it. Why does everything need a loving backstory?

Literally every soldier, cop, doctor, nurse, firefighter and EMT in the world has a tragic backstory.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lobok posted:

I'm reading Ms. Marvel and her origin in terms of motivation is wanting to help her friends and her city and there's nothing dull or boring about her character or the stories. Kamala's new powers have helped her explore her identity and who she wants to be but her early stories have featured zero funerals or any real loss (for her) of anything other than normalcy.

that's because her book is being written by the best in the business. it's one of the few comics consistently worth reading

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I prefer this version of Cyborg to the Playstation-rear end one in the trailers for that movie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TetsuoTW posted:

I prefer this version of Cyborg to the Playstation-rear end one in the trailers for that movie.

I like Cyborg and his gang of identical henchmen. Very 60s Batman

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm just saying, Hal Jordan as a character has more going on than Barry Allen did until they revamped him.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm just saying, Hal Jordan as a character has more going on than Barry Allen did until they revamped him.

That's why other Flashs and Green Lanterns are cooler characters than those two.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well obviously.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Super dark adaptation of No One Can Stop Mr. Domino.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I haven't seen the new Flash show, but I like that they changed the origin to a particle accelerator. It's basically the modern version of gamma radiation, but it at least has a relation to speed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hilarious that a Grant Morrison knockoff is getting an adaptation before basically any Grant Morrison comic.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The childhood mom killed thing was fine in The Flash tv show... at first, then they revisited it multiple times a year to the point of it being ridiculous and terrible.

Right now when his mom is killed there's like one Eobard Thawne in the room and about seven Barry Allens, three of which trying to stop Thawne, three trying to stop themselves from stopping Thawne, and one that took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Serf posted:

that's because her book is being written by the best in the business. it's one of the few comics consistently worth reading

First thing I've read of hers but I believe it! And the art is fantastic. Didn't even recognize him as the same guy who did Runaways back in the day but this new style of his is so great. Almost every panel has me lingering on it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Right now when his mom is killed there's like one Eobard Thawne in the room and about seven Barry Allens, three of which trying to stop Thawne, three trying to stop themselves from stopping Thawne, and one that took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

Haven't been able to watch much Season 3 because of PVR issues but yeah, I'm just not a fan of the near-constant time fuckery. At some point to clean up all those Flash's fighting and peeking out from behind doors at his mom's murder he should just absorb them all somehow and get a huge speed boost.

Edit: I originally meant to edit this into my previous post, oh well. Instead just imagine that this post and my previous post are somehow both existing at the same time witnessing a crucial point in my backstory.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Season 3 past the opener there's really not much time travel fuckery. Well, kinda. Actually never mind, now that I think about it, there's lots of it.

But Barry Allen himself isn't doing it week to week.

kinda

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The childhood mom killed thing was fine in The Flash tv show... at first, then they revisited it multiple times a year to the point of it being ridiculous and terrible.

Percival Dunwoody, Idiot Time Traveler.

https://boingboing.net/2013/07/10/tom-the-dancing-bug-super-fun-9.html

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

McSpanky posted:

Literally every soldier, cop, doctor, nurse, firefighter and EMT in the world has a tragic backstory.

That's a pretty bold claim.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Lars von Trier doing Marvel. I like it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hilarious that a Grant Morrison knockoff is getting an adaptation before basically any Grant Morrison comic.

Happy premieres next month.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

i think you'll find it holds up to rigorous scrutiny

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Schwarzwald posted:

Being born in america is a tragic backstory

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I realize why Doctor Strange was not great

Benedict Cumberbatch just was not the right fit. At all.

The dude has two modes- snarky and way smarter than you and boring as poo poo. Having to put on a terrible American accent only made that fact worse.

What they needed was an actor like Vincent Price. In a perfect world where Vincent Price was immortal as he deserved to be, they could have just cast Vincent Price himself.

He drat well inspired the character and certainly had the range to pull off anything the role could ask for. He'd likely even be charming dealing with a stupid CGI cape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Spacebump posted:

That's why other Flashs and Green Lanterns are cooler characters than those two.
Yeah Wally is a much better Flash and its really no contest, but that's probably nostalgia talking

• Locked thread