Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

okay it's cool that Virginia had positive results this past Tuesday but the "Justin Fairfax as a viable presidential candidate" narrative that I'm seeing all over these forums is really insane 3 days after he won his first elected position, Lieutenant Governor.

He's a black dude that's actually charismatic (a problem the dems have) and will likely end up running for Governor in 2019. It's not unfeasible to act like the possibility isn't there that if Biden were to hypothetically run in 2020 he would choose him or someone like him as a VP.

psydude posted:

Also, Dems shouldn't be focused on 2020 right now. They should be focused on sweeping more state and local races next year, defending their Senate seats, and fielding suitable candidates to take over vacant or weak Republican seats in the house. This may mean (ghasp) fielding a range of candidates with different ideological leanings, from centrists to progressives.

Agreed. I don't really remember anyone other Clinton and maybe Biden and Edwards visibly pursuing a planned presidential run during the 2006 midterms. The focus needs to be on 2018 right now, full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

what democrats really need is someone like Biden to get out of being an actual politician and be a talking head that 'tells it like it is' in regards to actual loving nazis. Hillary wasn't factually wrong with her deplorable statement, she just didn't have anyone that could say it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Rather, she didn't have anyone who could say it without sounding high and mighty. I mean, all you really needed to say was "these guys are nazi sympathizers and confederate losers, gently caress 'em" without sounding like an elitist about it. Biden could likely pull that off, Clinton not so much.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

psydude posted:

Also, Dems shouldn't be focused on 2020 right now. They should be focused on sweeping more state and local races next year, defending their Senate seats, and fielding suitable candidates to take over vacant or weak Republican seats in the house. This may mean (ghasp) fielding a range of candidates with different ideological leanings, from centrists to progressives.

The problem is if you keep putting "centrists" in power you really haven't fixed anything that led to this crap, We'll end up with what happened the last time around, Dems in power for a bit, red hats take over again, and we'll be here in 2028 with another wave of broke brained idiots in power.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Rather, she didn't have anyone who could say it without sounding high and mighty. I mean, all you really needed to say was "these guys are nazi sympathizers and confederate losers, gently caress 'em" without sounding like an elitist about it. Biden could likely pull that off, Clinton not so much.

exactly. So could Franken. Hell jon stewart is retired hire him to help with campaigns.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Whoever democrats run, they need a good VP to go with it because god drat I don't even remember who hillary's VP was. Hillary needed someone like Biden or Franken that could be her attack dog, not a limp dick nice guy.

Her supporters especially seem to have forgotten him, judging by how many #ImWithHer #Resistance types post about how supporting pro-choice candidates is non-negotiable. Except for putting them one heartbeat from the presidency I guess?

He was one of the most dispiriting signs of the Clinton campaign, because it's obvious she chose him for being someone who would not challenge her, and for her sympathy with the right edge of the party. She would have been a terrible president. Not as epically bad as Trump of course.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Best Friends posted:

Her supporters especially seem to have forgotten him, judging by how many #ImWithHer #Resistance types post about how supporting pro-choice candidates is non-negotiable. Except for putting them one heartbeat from the presidency I guess?

He was one of the most dispiriting signs of the Clinton campaign, because it's obvious she chose him for being someone who would not challenge her, and for her sympathy with the right edge of the party. She would have been a terrible president. Not as epically bad as Trump of course.

She would have been a terrible figure head. Can you imagine hillary trying to ban guns after this Texas shooting? She would have been asked point blank if we should ban all guns, she would have said yes, and then republicans sweep 2020.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I guess my disconnect is that I'm probably considered a dirty centrist and I'm ok with slow, progressive movement to the left if it means that we don't have literal robber barons and lunatics in power. Of course I fully recognize that my demographic advantage lets me get away with this while plenty of other people are suffering. But drat people.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

exactly. So could Franken. Hell jon stewart is retired hire him to help with campaigns.

I'm also heartened that the Latino Victory Ad that ran against Gillispie that pretty much called him a racist islamophobe didn't cause any issues for Northam despite Gillispie and the GOP crying about it being unfair and harmful, despite running ads themselves that said that Northam liked Child Molesters and MS-13.

If Northam won by 2-3 points, I might concede that it wouldn't be a good idea to go down that path in the future, but he won by 9 loving points. If the shoe fits, loving throw it at 'em.

Also the youth turnout in VA was insane for a non-presidential election. I really hope they take note of this and build upon it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

The NRO patches are 100% legit works of art which usually have a hidden reference to something about the mission and they should really be in a museum somewhere.

Typically when a patch is designed well every symbol on it means something. When I worked on Minotaur launches the stars would represent all the previous launches. Usually what the different figures represent is way more literal than you might expect.

They're also not really taken all that seriously. Sometimes you luck out and find somebody in the office who's motivated and an excellent graphic designer, sometimes you just task the most junior guy.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 10, 2017

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Duckworth/franken 2020

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Spacman posted:

I am going to buy you an AV based on that.

Everyone, I would like your best FREEDOM STAR based AV!

He already has a Star Wars av? Maybe have Al! add a pixel american flag to it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

bird cooch posted:

Duckworth/franken 2020

yuuuuuuuuuup

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

KildarX posted:

The problem is if you keep putting "centrists" in power you really haven't fixed anything that led to this crap, We'll end up with what happened the last time around, Dems in power for a bit, red hats take over again, and we'll be here in 2028 with another wave of broke brained idiots in power.

Yeah that's great and all but your point is moot anyway if they can't get elected in the first place. It's easy to forget in our liberal echo chamber here that a lot of people are just as afraid of radical progressives as they are of Trump. Change takes place incrementally and has been drifting slowly leftward over the past 30 years. 7 years ago, Obamacare was considered a radical left-wing policy. Now it's considered a centrist policy. In another 4-8 years, UHC will be considered a centrist policy. Look at other social policies like gay marriage: back in the 1990s, DADT was considered a liberal policy. Now it's considered regressive, but it paved the way for normalization of gay and transgender rights.

The Democratic party needs liberals to keep nudging the policies left, but it needs centrists that can gently bring more conservative people along in the direction. Don't believe me? The Obama era saw the most sweeping adoption of progressive policies since Johnson's Great Society. And despite Republicans' best efforts, they're sticking because they're now taken for granted as the norm by most Americans.

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 10, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bird cooch posted:

Duckworth/franken 2020

:yeah:

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

bird cooch posted:

Duckworth/franken 2020

Wonder how much poo poo Duckworth would get for having personally killed brown people? Has she denounced her service as an imperial invader yet?

E: thought she was an apache pilot, guess she is only tangentially responsible for war crimes

Poppyseed Poundcake fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 10, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

hell shed get a lot of r votes to make up for it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It has to be Franken/Duckworth just so people have to say it in seriousness out loud.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

bird cooch posted:

Duckworth/franken 2020

Ok so I have gently caress and marry but who is kill on that list????

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Wonder how much poo poo Duckworth would get for having personally killed brown people? Has she denounced her service as an imperial invader yet?

E: thought she was an apache pilot, guess she is only tangentially responsible for war crimes

you joke, but I think we all know we're going to hear "WAR MONGER" or "War Criminal!" shouted unironically by idiots if she throws her hat into the ring.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bird cooch posted:

Duckworth/franken 2020

This is the ticket that would get me in the streets being a DuckWarrior.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

how long has it been since we had a president that personally killed someone

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

From the vast majority of people? None. From a few broke-brained losers in D&D? A little.

Seems like a non-factor, really. Even in D&D you'll see some guy try to start up an argument about Mattis being a baby killer every now and then but nobody really bites.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Bernie

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I’m pretty sure Putin has killed people.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i think thats part of the inauguration ceremony

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i think about how bernie would handle putin and nooooope

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

George H.W. Bush bombed some people in WW2.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

would of won

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

might’ve

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

my mom voted for him bc of the bird landing on the podium

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Gobbeldygook posted:

If we're counting pilots than George McGovern probably had the highest personal killcount of any candidate, dude flew 35 missions in a B-24 for the 15th Air Force in World War II.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Harry Truman. Artillery officer in WW1.
Dwight Eisenhower.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

He already has a Star Wars av? Maybe have Al! add a pixel american flag to it.

Honestly, I'm going to treat this like your elections.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I don't think we have any Russian posters you can ask about which outcome they prefer.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Bill Clinton, duh sheeple.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Legally?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

He dropped defective torpedos so he may not have actually killed anyone.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
Actually, this poo poo is backwards...

If your head of state hasn't domed a fuking terrorist recently, what the hell are they doing representing you?

Spacman fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 10, 2017

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Best Friends posted:

Tim Kaine getting the VP pick was some hard-core beltway politicking. It was Hillary to the core. The assumption was that with a Clinton victory Kaine's seat in the Senate would be open. VA governor (and longtime Clinton ally) Terry McAuliffe would appoint himself to the seat, giving Clinton a close ally in the Senate and then Ralph Northam would become governor and have the advantage of incumbency and close Washington allies going into 2017.

Kaine's also super-popular in VA and probably secured the state for Clinton in 2016, for all the good it did us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
lol the Democrats lost 1000+ seats nationally while Barack 'Grand Bargain' Obama was in office and the best 'progressive' victory you can find is him passing a two decade old Republican health plan. Centrism has been a disaster for the left and most importantly the vast majority of this country. Everyone who supports this 'status quo' or incremental bullshit should be called out and if they don't change, thrown out.

• Locked thread