Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

Sometimes they keep being among the best games ever, though, or if nothing else have elements that stand out as especially excellent. I suspect Mario Odyssey's movement is going to be the thing that holds up as really special when people look back on the game a year from now.

Odyessey actually feels much stiffer to me than 64/sunshine especially when trying to turn mario in midair. I've hopped around the base of a pole missing it over and over in odyssey and that never happened in the older games. Not really a criticism, it still handles superbly and offers top notch mobility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MMF Freeway posted:

Its insanely good, but is it better than galaxy? The jury is still out.

I found galaxy a bit too linear and ill take the bad waggle in smo over the ball rolling and manta bullshit in smg
Still love smg tho. No hate.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Haven’t played it yet but I doubt it’s better than Mario Tennis for Nintendo 64.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I bet at least one kid out there now knows how to spell Odyssey properly thanks to Mario Odyssey. At least that worked for me when Shadow of the Colossus came out

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Odyssey is extremely incredibly good but I find I prefer linear games over exploration games so 3D World still holds the crown

Nintendo please port 3D World to Switch tyvm

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

(of course I say I prefer linear games but I'm absorbed by BotW again so who the gently caress knows what I'm talking about?)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

I bet at least one kid out there now knows how to spell Odyssey properly thanks to Mario Odyssey. At least that worked for me when Shadow of the Colossus came out

Lorne Lanning rages as he sees his dark work slowly undone

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Odyssey is extremely incredibly good but I find I prefer linear games over exploration games so 3D World still holds the crown

Nintendo please port 3D World to Switch tyvm

There's definitely a divide between the platformer Mario games (like 3D World) and the exploration/collactathon ones (like Odyssey). We talk about them all like they're part of the same general "main-line" Mario series but I think it makes a lot of sense to look at them as separate things entirely.

3D World felt like a real 3D version of the 2D Mario games, complete with the same damage rules (you don't have health, you lose your power-up when you get hit, that kind of thing)--you go through stages in a linear fashion to reach a goal, and any collectables are side objectives. Odyssey is much more like 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy, with a health meter, stages more focused on finding various collectables rather than a single end goal, less persistent power-ups, all that stuff. I kind of enjoy looking at the differences and similarities between the two "lines" of the Mario series.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah I think I remember Nintendo making that distinction in the lead-up to Odyssey, specifically calling it a successor to Sunshine/64 and not the Galaxy games, which exist in a space sort of in-between those games and something like 3D World

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I didn't like Galaxy much at all and am having a blast with Odyssey.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eh, just because they're part of the same general lineage doesn't mean you're definitely going to like all of them. I know plenty of people were left cold by Sunshine and loved Galaxy, and vice-versa, but they're definitely the same "type" of Mario game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's ultimately just different schools of thought/design, same deal as with SOTN Castlevanias and classic/linear Castlevanias.

3D World might be my pick for best "classic" Mario game as it features spectacular linear level design with exceptional art direction (compared to the rather lifeless/sterile NSMB games) and some genuine challenge once you get to the bonus worlds.

I like Odyssey enough that I feel like I really need to let it simmer for a while before I jump straight to making some hyperbolic statements about it, but I'm definitely tempted to call it the best "exploration" Mario game. If only because as much as I loved the Galaxies, I never felt compelled to go back and get all of the green stars or whatever while I am definitely making a good college try to 100% Odyssey.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Real hurthling! posted:

Odyessey actually feels much stiffer to me than 64/sunshine especially when trying to turn mario in midair. I've hopped around the base of a pole missing it over and over in odyssey and that never happened in the older games. Not really a criticism, it still handles superbly and offers top notch mobility

my number one and two complaints would be that mario's running -> opposite direction backflip jump doesn't feel tight enough and the "mario is running" trigger for a long jump is weird, causing me to do backflips when i would not want to. but the cap dive was so powerful and good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think Mario Odyssey is the first game I've ever seen where you can do fighting game air juggles on your own character to do more jumps

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I wondered if I was the only one who had trouble with the turnaround sideflip in Odyssey, yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The side flip has never felt better than 64 somehow

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played 64 for the first time in ages a couple of days ago and the controls felt lose and awful after Odyssey. I dunno how much of that was the cameras fault though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I played 64 for the first time in ages a couple of days ago and the controls felt lose and awful after Odyssey. I dunno how much of that was the cameras fault though.

A lot

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My main criticism of Odyssey is that it follows 3D Land's design of sticking the best content in the end which is after you're given any motivation to see it all. If you want to explore that content there's more than enough to challenge you, but I reached a point around the lunch kingdom that nothing was really going to open up at this point and made a beeline for the end which isn't how I want to play the game.

With that said the post-game content is the best 3D Mario has ever been. I hesitate to call it "post game" as it's four times more than uh pre-game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I got an F on a spelling test for spelling it Oddysee. gently caress you Lorne Lanning, you magnificent bastard.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

al-azad posted:

With that said the post-game content is the best 3D Mario has ever been. I hesitate to call it "post game" as it's four times more than uh pre-game.

So you're saying the real Super Mario Odyssey starts there?

Edit: Realtalk I remember someone was making Dark Souls references to Odyssey and I couldn't tell if that was yet another joke. I did hear someone say that there were aspects of Mario that reminded them of MGSV and that had me intrigued

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 10, 2017

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I feel like older games that don't have full analog camera control are a lot more about setting up the camera in a position where you don't have to fiddle with it, whereas in newer games you can use both sticks at the same time much more effectively.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

al-azad posted:

My main criticism of Odyssey is that it follows 3D Land's design of sticking the best content in the end which is after you're given any motivation to see it all. If you want to explore that content there's more than enough to challenge you, but I reached a point around the lunch kingdom that nothing was really going to open up at this point and made a beeline for the end which isn't how I want to play the game.

Why would you keep Peach waiting?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

al-azad posted:

The area that immediately opened up upon reaching the credits is what flipped my "gotta get every moon" switch, both because that area was cool as heck but also because they had a direct reason to collect more moons. It didn't feel like the other 3D games did as good of a job of enabling this in me.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Probably would have had more of an effect if I hadn't found the painting in the Luncheon Kingdom prior to beating the game. As-is I have the broke-brained problem of losing motivation to play a game after I see credits.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I know I liked Mario galaxy 1 enough to 100% it but I'll be darned if I can remember anything about it except for snips and pieces like Luigi is slippery and you need to get his purple coins. See also: Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, Twilight Princess. I think that's where I became really lukewarm on Nintendo games.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

I know I liked Mario galaxy 1 enough to 100% it but I'll be darned if I can remember anything about it except for snips and pieces like Luigi is slippery and you need to get his purple coins. See also: Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, Twilight Princess. I think that's where I became really lukewarm on Nintendo games.
Yeah I was the same way with all of those games. I tried playing Skyward Sword and Galaxy 2 also and just couldn't get into them at all.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Galaxy 2 is still one of my favorite games.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ironically i never had a gamecube so i used my wii to play a bunch of those games i missed and i ended up liking them way more than actual wii titles.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

Eh, I feel most of the best content is there before the end it's just the game doesn't push you to do it. Yes some of the best things are unlocked after you beat the game but some of the worst parts are there too. It doesn't feel as "real Mario starts here" as it did in 3D Land.

While people early on were being pre-emptively dismissive of the idea that people would complain about Filler moons, my main complaint about the game is there does feel like there is a bunch of Moons that feel just sort of there for upping the number and while it's awesome that pretty much every inch of every stage is used, it does feel a bit like they're trying to get blood from a stone after awhile. Some of the post game stuff in particular seems oddly :effort:, which sticks out all the more because of everything that came before it.

In general I just think I prefer Galaxy's style of feeling like it's barely scratching the surface with what it could be doing with every world and it's ideas to Odyssey's style of doing everything it can possibly think of. Both styles of game are both extremely good but just appeal to different types, so I'm not saying you're wrong if you prefer what SMO is going for.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

In Training posted:

I don't think anybody could say with a straight face that skyward Sword was the best Zelda ever

Back when it was released I remember news outlets putting out a lot of "best game ever" language. Funny considering that nowadays it seems almost universally reviled.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
3D World/Land and Galaxy/Sunshine are all the best Mario games. A good Mario game is any Mario game.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

ironically i never had a gamecube so i used my wii to play a bunch of those games i missed and i ended up liking them way more than actual wii titles.
Man I owned a GameCube and I still ended up using my Wii more often than not to play GCN games I missed or hadn't finished.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

The Moon Monster posted:

Back when it was released I remember news outlets putting out a lot of "best game ever" language. Funny considering that nowadays it seems almost universally reviled.

Skyward Sword is a deeply flawed game but it's still drat good imo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The sad thing about Skyward Sword is that it would be so easy to fix, all the biggest flaws are superficial.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you're one of Iwata's chosen few that didn't have any problems with the motion controls it was a lot of fun

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

If you're one of Iwata's chosen few that didn't have any problems with the motion controls it was a lot of fun

Yeah, but then also fighting The Imprisoned a billion times was god damned lame.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Skyward Sword is from the odd era of Zelda where they thought they could revitalize the series by making you revisit Dungeons. Why they thought this, I will never know.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

al-azad posted:

New Donk City isn't Post Game though???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

Skyward Sword is from the odd era of Zelda where they thought they could revitalize the series by making you revisit Dungeons. Why they thought this, I will never know.

But Majora's Mask was 10 years earlier!

• Locked thread