Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Am I still the only person who remembers Shadow Cabinet? Yes? Okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Revol posted:

I once considered myself this subforum's resident Cassandra Cain fan, and... I don't really identify with this character. I appreciate that she's being used, and she's in a title that's doing quite well. At the same time, she's gotten lost on this team. Plus, her codename is loving stupid holy poo poo

Tynion's been implying that the Orphan codename in temporary, so we may see her get a new name/costume eventually.

And weirdly enough, she just had a cameo in Bombshells as Black Bat, which I thought they couldn't use anymore due to copyright issues.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

Considering the deal they struck fucks over McDuffie's estate, I am not.

Just looked into it, and that's a bummer.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/status/928751444425039872

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

Cant wait for 5 Bendis books.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

catlord posted:

How is Cosmic Odyssey? Is there any reason to pick up the Deluxe Edition (or wait for the paperback version), or can save some money and pick up an older copy? I found a version old enough to be using the DC Bullet and it's cheaper for sure.

It's a good snapshot of the 1988 DCU, or at least some of its outer space heroes and locations. Also it has Batman use a pay phone to call somebody Cosmic Mystical Entity Dr. Fate to please keep an eye on this guy called Darkseid on this planet called New Genesis, please and thanks.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Teenage Fansub posted:

/\ They announced a Static series with the new Milestone launch last month.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/we-finally-have-details-on-the-rebirth-of-milestone-med-1819184981?IR=T

Following up with this, how is Hudin's writing? I decided to x-post this on reddit and some people were saying he wasn't a good writer. However, he is a black man who is the former head of BET and has used comics to discuss problems facing black people so I take this criticism with a mountain of salt from a redditor since reddit is full of white supremacists, even if the mods of r/comicbooks are the guys behind Xavier Files and JayandMiles and try their best to ban all white supremacists from the subreddit (they never do anything about the dogwhistle guys so there are a ton of them).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Rhyno posted:

It's a fun glance at event comics of the time plus sweet ealy Mignola artwork. And it's the story where John Stewart hosed up and they will beat that into the goddamned ground for another 20 years or so.

pubic works project posted:

I loving love it, but I'm probably in the minority.

Mister Mind posted:

It's a good snapshot of the 1988 DCU, or at least some of its outer space heroes and locations. Also it has Batman use a pay phone to call somebody Cosmic Mystical Entity Dr. Fate to please keep an eye on this guy called Darkseid on this planet called New Genesis, please and thanks.

Great, I'll definitely put it on my list, thanks.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/11/10/exclusive-young-monsters-in-love-will-steal-your-heart

quote:

YOUNG MONSTERS IN LOVE #1
Written by PAUL DINI, JAMES ROBINSON, JEFF LEMIRE, STEVE ORLANDO, MARK RUSSELL, KYLE HIGGINS, ALISA KWITNEY, PHIL HESTER and others
Art by GUILLEM MARCH, FRAZER IRVING, KELLEY JONES and others
Cover by KELLEY JONES
It’s hard being a monster…and even harder being a monster in love. Sparks will fly and hearts will be broken when the ghouls and ghosts of the DC Universe assemble to bring you the Valentine’s Day Special that no one saw coming!
PRESTIGE FORMAT • ONE-SHOT • On sale FEBRUARY 7 • 80 pg, FC, $9.99 US
(Last Updated November 10, 2017 12:46 pm )

Yesssss.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 11, 2017

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Covok posted:

Following up with this, how is Hudin's writing? I decided to x-post this on reddit and some people were saying he wasn't a good writer. However, he is a black man who is the former head of BET and has used comics to discuss problems facing black people so I take this criticism with a mountain of salt from a redditor since reddit is full of white supremacists, even if the mods of r/comicbooks are the guys behind Xavier Files and JayandMiles and try their best to ban all white supremacists from the subreddit (they never do anything about the dogwhistle guys so there are a ton of them).

This is a page from one of Reginald Hudlin's issues of Black Panther. It's from the wedding saga. And it sums up everything you need to know about Hudlin.

(Best scroll down to the picture. It's showing up at the bottom for some reason. When that is done, come back here.)

As you can see Storm flies down in her wedding dress, and the X-Men react and are happy for her.
The artist has done an amazing job conveying Storm's majesty, and Wolverine and Nightcrawler being stunned and happy.
The dress Storm is wearing was designed by real world fashion designer, Shawn Dudley.

The dress combines real world elements of traditional African design, as well as European royalty.
It is incredibly researched and is beautiful.

Now Reginald Hudlind has Nightcrawler say "Lieberstesh."
Back when that issue came out, if you Googled that word, there was no results. (And bear in mind you could have Googled the word McShizzle, and gotten 200 results.)
I spoke to a German friend who said that it wasn't a word he ever heard. The closest he could come up with was it sounded like some street slang for "test drive." Which just makes Wolverines reaction kind of weird.

Now if you Google that word you get people talking about the Black Panther scene, which leads me to believe it's still a nonsense word.

The overall point is in this page the artist has done days, if not weeks of work.
While Hudlin could not take five minutes to look up a single real German word.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 10, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

House Party was pretty good.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Mister Mind posted:

Batman getting off a phone call with "Great! Be talking to you." is the most outrageous thing I've seen this week, and this is a week whereI read the comic book Batman: Lost.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Darth Nat posted:

Tynion's been implying that the Orphan codename in temporary, so we may see her get a new name/costume eventually.

And weirdly enough, she just had a cameo in Bombshells as Black Bat, which I thought they couldn't use anymore due to copyright issues.

Supposedly they weren't allowed to put the Bat symbol on Cass' costume because they didn't want confusion with her and Barbara(???)

I couldn't find the specific interview about it, but supposedly reestablishing her being adopted by Bruce and the friendship with Steph were high on the list.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Revol posted:

Batman getting off a phone call with "Great! Be talking to you." is the most outrageous thing I've seen this week, and this is a week whereI read the comic book Batman: Lost.
I remember reading Justice at the time when the theme of the entire DC universe was "bad poo poo is happening because Batman has trust issues" and just him treating the rest of the Justice League like his friends was a little shocking.

Also the part where the Riddler broke into the literal Batcave--the other literal Batcave--and got his rear end stomped by goths.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Is New 52 Static Shock worth it?

Is there any place I can read the original run of Icon and Static? Like 1990s Icon and Static? Couldn't find it on Comixology.

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 11, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Another idea for a Bendis project: A Clark Kent and Lois Lane book focusing on the Daily Planet and the modern state of journalism in the DCU, with more snappy Bendis dialogue (which I apparently enjoy more than most). He did such a good job with The Pulse (the Jessica Jones/Daily Bugle book), and it would be such a great "everyman's" overview of the DCU, with a cast of different reporters embedded with superhero teams, traveling to exotic locales, exposing corruption and conspiracies, fighting crime. Tie the Question and the Creeper into it too, since Vic Sage and Jack Ryder are both muckraking journalists. (I'm not sure if they exist anymore in the Rebirth era, but I hope so.) And with his knack for witty banter, it could be The Wire of the DCU.

Plus, a GOOD book focusing on Clark Kent as a crusading investigative journalist doing good in his own way could really bury the ongoing fanboy argument that "Superman is just wasting his time pretending to be a regular guy, and why can't he just be Superman 24/7?"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Bendis' dialogue sometimes descending into self-parody is an old meme at this point, but it's a great fit for a book in the same tone as Powers.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Another idea for a Bendis project: A Clark Kent and Lois Lane book focusing on the Daily Planet and the modern state of journalism in the DCU, with more snappy Bendis dialogue (which I apparently enjoy more than most). He did such a good job with The Pulse (the Jessica Jones/Daily Bugle book), and it would be such a great "everyman's" overview of the DCU, with a cast of different reporters embedded with superhero teams, traveling to exotic locales, exposing corruption and conspiracies, fighting crime. Tie the Question and the Creeper into it too, since Vic Sage and Jack Ryder are both muckraking journalists. (I'm not sure if they exist anymore in the Rebirth era, but I hope so.) And with his knack for witty banter, it could be The Wire of the DCU.

Plus, a GOOD book focusing on Clark Kent as a crusading investigative journalist doing good in his own way could really bury the ongoing fanboy argument that "Superman is just wasting his time pretending to be a regular guy, and why can't he just be Superman 24/7?"

I wanted to do a webcomic where it focuses solely on clark kent in four panel, horizontal newspaper comic.

First week: Clark has to go on a train to work, it's his turn to pick up doughnuts, and he has to go buy coffee on his way to work.

Next week: Clark has to stay late to finish an article and doesn't get home till late at night.

Next next week: Clark misses his train and realizes its too risky to go super to get home and has to wait on a train which is broken down.

Next next next week: He does a government corruption case but is stonewalled by bureaucracy and another forms of legal protection and figures out nothing and has to run a fluff piece instead.

See, me and my friend talked and I convinced him that Superman is the most human superhero: he works 9-5 in a risky, failing industry for little pay in a big city where he can barely afford rent and needs to moonlight in another job. If comics were smart, they'd do a 4 panel series focusing on this and really drive home Clark Kent's reliability. DC, I am a loser writer, but few weeks of me showing Clark Kent depressed on the subway to work, or him questioning what he's doing with his life as he types into a computer, or him getting furious when he cant't log into his laptop because he forgot his password, and Clark Kent would be the most relatable superhero on the planet.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Is New 52 Static Shock worth it?

Christ no. I don't know about your other question but seriously if you like Static, or indeed if you like comics in general, do not read N52 Static.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Obligatory rough outline of Milestone/Static stuff.

1993: Original incarnation, co-founded by Dwayne McDuffie, Denys Cowan, Michael Davis, and Derek Dingle. Christopher Priest was involved with the planning stages, but stepped away for personal reasons before the launch. Because this factors in a lot to what has happened with the company/characters since then, Milestone is/was a freestanding corporation that owns its own characters. DC Comics signed a deal to distribute the Milestone line of comics, but they didn't (and don't) own the characters. There is a ton of great stuff in this original run.

In 1995, Michael Davis left Milestone to do comics/animation for Motown. Denys Cowan also left Milestone around this time to go work for Motown

In 1997, Milestone "shut down" its publishing line. Because of the departures of Davis and Cowan, for this period of hibernation it was assumed (and I believe explicitly stated by McDuffie) that Milestone Media LLC was a partnership between McDuffie and Dingle now.

In 2000, the Static Shock cartoon series aired.

In 2001, Milestone published a four issue Static [Shock] mini-series Rebirth of the Cool, which aside from changing up Virgil's costume I recall being mostly a follow-up to the comic series, not the cartoon. Nothing else came of this brief publishing deal, except maybe a re-release of the first Static trade?

In 2004, the Static Shock cartoon was canceled because cartoons need toy lines for long term transmedia vertical blah blah blah money and no toy company wanted to make black toys, basically. Dwayne McDuffie took over the Justice League Unlimited cartoon.

In 2008, DC announced they'd struck a deal with Milestone to integrate the characters into the DCU. Very, very little came of this besides Static joining the Teen Titans for a couple of bad years, McDuffie pulling Icon and a couple other characters into his meddled-with and cut short JLA run, and I guess five issues of a Xombi comic that were kind of fun. Milestone Forever, a two issue "last story" from the original Dakotaverse, was long delayed, given ugly-rear end graffiti/1999 Jeans commercial cover treatments, and then they pulled a bunch of epigrams from James Baldwin and Maya Angelou and etc. out of the final printed copies at the last minute because of "fair use" concerns, without telling McDuffie et. al who were technically the owners of the content and not DC, who just had a distribution deal. McDuffie complained about this and other things and got fired from writing JLA and basically declared the whole thing dead.

And then McDuffie himself died in 2011. Static Shock was announced as a New 52 launch title, with John Rozum (original Milestone alum, guy-who-McDuffie had basically mentored since Rozum was a teen intern at Marvel in the early 1990s, he is the basis for Bart Rozum in Damage Control) was hired to write the new Static book, and I was excited, but apparently Scott McDaniel wanted co-writing credit and had a lot of Strong Ideas about the right way to steer the book/character, they clashed, the editors sided with McDaniel and Rozum was gone by issue 4.

That was pretty much it, until the latest round of announcements.

The fact that McDuffie's estate is being frozen out leaves a bad taste in my mouth for all of the new Milestone stuff, and the fact that a whole bunch of the original creative people behind the original company are also gone (dead or just not involved), leaving Derek Dingle (who is literally just the business side of things) and Denys Cowan (a great artist when he's trying, but not someone with a long track record of writing/editorial success) to be teaming with Reggie Hudlin, whose comics I've never really liked that much, doesn't fill me with hope.

Almost everything from the original Milestone run is worth reading, especially the first few years of Static, all of Icon, and depending on your tastes, Blood Syndicate/Xombi/Shadow Cabinet/Hardware all have some real high points too. Even Worlds Collide (the crossover with the 1990s Superman books) has a lot of fun stuff. If you've ever wanted to see a dog poo poo-talking Superman while his buddies try in vain to gang-beat the Man of Steel, that crossover is for you! None of it is available for purchase digitally, but used trades and back issues outside of the very low-print-run final issues are generally pretty affordable last I looked.

CAPSULE CONCLUSION: Two thumbs up for the original comics line and Static Shock cartoon, GASFACE for almost anything else done with the characters 2003-2017, wary glance at the reboot.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 11, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I always wondered why Icon was in the Young Justice iteration of JL. That was kind of cool.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

From the 'Dark Side of the Comics Industry' thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836728&pagenumber=7#post478301588
Beganza is dunzo.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 12, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Has Berganza done anything positive in comics? I've never heard him associated positively with anything.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Onmi posted:

Has Berganza done anything positive in comics? I've never heard him associated positively with anything.

It's tough to know what editors specifically do for each comic, but there are probably hundreds of great ones with his name on 'em.
Recently notable, Superman and Metal.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 12, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Onmi posted:

He's been an editor on a bunch of good books like Pak's run on Action and Tomasi's run on Superman, and in most editors aren't widely known (nor are their exact contributions). I've seen a few interviews where Pak talks positively about Berganza's contribution but it's impossible to say how much of that is professional courtesy and how much is genuine thanks.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

They've fired artists and turned his position into Man In the High Castle just so they could keep him and he wouldn't be able to physically interact with women. What on Earth made DC finally stop loving Berganza's chicken? A BuzzFeed article??

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Autism Sneaks posted:

They've fired artists and turned his position into Man In the High Castle just so they could keep him and he wouldn't be able to physically interact with women. What on Earth made DC finally stop loving Berganza's chicken? A BuzzFeed article??

I think the recent spate of other sexual assault allegations (Weinstein etc) is probably what made the difference.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Buzzfeed article and his face on the cover of the New York Times. It's disgusting that it took this for him to be put under scrutiny. And notice that it just says he's been removed, he might figure out how to keep his job again.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rip bitch

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll celebrate when the word "terminated" is used by DC Comics.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Rhyno posted:

The Buzzfeed article and his face on the cover of the New York Times. It's disgusting that it took this for him to be put under scrutiny. And notice that it just says he's been removed, he might figure out how to keep his job again.

New York Daily News not the Times. Still huge but yeah, not quite that huge.

Rhyno posted:

I'll celebrate when the word "terminated" is used by DC Comics.

100% my feelings too. This seems way too much like a "let's wait for this to blow over and then he'll be back on books" to me. It's not like they haven't scuttled him away before only to have him return.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Rhyno posted:

Prepare yourself for a presser in a year or so announcing he's got Andrew Kreisberg's job off a good word from Guggenheim or Johns or something, because this is the worst timeline

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Cheyenne_Curtis/status/929056918546538496

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Autism Sneaks posted:

Prepare yourself for a presser in a year or so announcing he's got Andrew Kreisberg's job off a good word from Guggenheim or Johns or something, because this is the worst timeline

I kind of dread the deeper details on this. Like, who else at DC is complicit in his continued employment and who else has had similar behaviors swept under the rug.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This looks real bad for DC if they didn't take action for however many years and only now are doing something because the mainstream press reported on it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

This looks real bad for DC if they didn't take action for however many years and only now are doing something because the mainstream press reported on it.

Absolutely. Somebody is going to have to take the blame for him not getting poo poo-canned.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

The alternative is not doing anything in the past and continuing to not do anything, so while I'm not going to applaud them for obviously acting way later than they should have, it's a form of progress.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Not official yet, but Berganza has reportedly been fired.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11/12/eddie-berganza-gone-dc-comics/

Of course, this isn't enough. Many more people at DC need to be held accountable for letting him off with a slap on the wrist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry Convex posted:

Not official yet, but Berganza has reportedly been fired.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11/12/eddie-berganza-gone-dc-comics/

Of course, this isn't enough. Many more people at DC need to be held accountable for letting him off with a slap on the wrist.

A few people are saying Didio might have been a big player in keeping him on staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Mr.Miracle still blowing minds or was it just that first issue?