Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

They would need to get Cam Clarke to dub over who physically played Liquid. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Put The Sorrow encounter on The Ladder

I think fanservice is almost always dumb, but Snake should grab a rung at the base of The Ladder, look up at how impossibly high it is, and then walk a few feet over to an elevator. At least that way it's a sight gag everyone can laugh at and us nerds can just chuckle a little harder.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fried Watermelon posted:

MGS movie will get the Dark Tower movie treatment. 89 minutes of a compilation of all the games in a by the numbers spy movie with the twist at the end that Snake is a clone of the bad guy

Let's hope in casting the clones they look to Sylvestor Stallone and Armand Assante for inspiration.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Guy Mann posted:

Phantom Pain is the best game in the series both in terms of the cinematography (the entire game is done like one continuous take) and in terms of writing competence (none of the badly translated repeating each other's lines or gibberish titles obviously from people who weren't native English speakers​, no freezing time to have lengthy codec monologues and exposition dumps) and it had minimal fourth wall goofs. Just make a cool historical sci-fi/historical magical realism military story with horror elements and great setpieces and you're good to go.

Pretty sure characters repeating each other's lines is a Japanese thing. When someone is presenting you with information, you repeat it back to them to let you know you are listening. The codec conversations are some of the best parts of MGS, and really showcase Kojima's OCD with military minutiae and discussing weird cinema tropes and stuff. Phantom Pain has the worst story, worst ending, worst script, replaced the main character's VA who has been in it since MGS 1, and it was unfinished and chopped to bits. The actual gameplay parts of MGSV are great, but pretty much everything else from top to bottom sucks out loud.
E: There was once a great picture of Stallone photoshopped to look like Big Boss from the end of MGS2 that was spot on. Can't find it now. Still, "metal gear solid movie casting" has a lot of cool pictures in GIS.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 10, 2017

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Dinosaurs! posted:

I think fanservice is almost always dumb, but Snake should grab a rung at the base of The Ladder, look up at how impossibly high it is, and then walk a few feet over to an elevator. At least that way it's a sight gag everyone can laugh at and us nerds can just chuckle a little harder.

Make the elevator take almost as long while playing the title song.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

The MSJ posted:

Most movies have a teaser trailer. The House With A Clock In Its Walls (starring Jack Black and Cate Blanchett and directed by Eli Roth) has this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbSMck1FvJb/

Blame Thor Ragnarok

Jack black slowly phisically turning into orson welles was,in hindsight,inevitable.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gatts posted:

Random audience member's internet history
To really go with Kojima's whole idea about The Patriots being able to rewrite/manipulate history, every screening should feature an AI that identifies the most disruptive audience members, with Psycho Mantis then seemingly changing their status/posts weird poo poo from their account on Facebook or whatever social media service the person frequents the most.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Omg, Sherlock Gnome being part of the gnomeo and juliet shared universe wasnt a joke. I just saw the poster in a theater

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Iron Crowned posted:

The biggest issue with these Cinematic Universes are that they really, really want to be the Marvel Cinematic Universe, without realizing that the MCU was really formed nearly organically. The bigger problem with the other attempts is that you can't just drop in and out like you can with the MCU, each one of them that I've is mostly self-contained with an overlap of characters and some hook to draw you to the next one. I'm really not sure that it can truly be replicated at this point.
The other thing people blank on with the Marvel movies is that Marvel is working from a back catalog of nearly 60 years worth of stories. Most of them are terrible and would make worse movies than the Dark Universe Mummy but they have the luxury of picking from the ones that have stood the test of time. Thunderstrike will not be in early phase four...

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

got any sevens posted:

Omg, Sherlock Gnome being part of the gnomeo and juliet shared universe wasnt a joke. I just saw the poster in a theater

I mean, the trailer in the post made it very clear. I thought about pointing that out when you made the joke, but then realized I didn't care nearly enough

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

NorgLyle posted:

The other thing people blank on with the Marvel movies is that Marvel is working from a back catalog of nearly 60 years worth of stories. Most of them are terrible and would make worse movies than the Dark Universe Mummy but they have the luxury of picking from the ones that have stood the test of time. Thunderstrike will not be in early phase four...

The Dark Universe is drawing from a good deal more than 60 years worth of stories.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dinosaurs! posted:

Ok but have him press the elevator call button twice so it gets there faster

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Shoombo posted:

The Dark Universe is drawing from a good deal more than 60 years worth of stories.

The Dark Universe suffered the same problem Universal has been having with its "Monsters as franchise" since the success of the Fraiser Mummy.

That movie worked, but trying to make every monster movie into an action film isn't/hasn't worked.

Van Helsing was just "Dark Universe 1.0" and it didn't work then either.

It seems incredibly simple to me, you make a good monster movie, and then you make another one. And maybe you have a character from one show up in the other but you don't make a big god drat deal about it.

When I was a kid I always assumed the Universal Monster movies all took place in the same world, and that was before I saw the "House of" or "X meets X" films.

:shrug:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on how the MCU works but if I had to guess I'd imagine 60+ years of experience dealing with constant superhero team-ups, crossovers and reboots probably contributed a fair bit to their success. You don't keep doing something like that for that long without picking up a few tricks.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The people who have experience coordinating crossovers in comics also advise the producers and the head honcho is an avid comic fan himself. Like I wouldn't bet money that anybody high up in Universal has even seen all the old Universal monster movies, let alone having read any works from which they're adapted. "Mary Shelley? You mean the chick from Cheers?"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Firstborn posted:

Pretty sure characters repeating each other's lines is a Japanese thing. When someone is presenting you with information, you repeat it back to them to let you know you are listening. The codec conversations are some of the best parts of MGS, and really showcase Kojima's OCD with military minutiae and discussing weird cinema tropes and stuff. Phantom Pain has the worst story, worst ending, worst script, replaced the main character's VA who has been in it since MGS 1, and it was unfinished and chopped to bits. The actual gameplay parts of MGSV are great, but pretty much everything else from top to bottom sucks out loud.
E: There was once a great picture of Stallone photoshopped to look like Big Boss from the end of MGS2 that was spot on. Can't find it now. Still, "metal gear solid movie casting" has a lot of cool pictures in GIS.

Agree to disagree and all but Phantom Pain does have an ending and it's great precisely because instead of being a big boss battle with all the heroes riding off into the sunset like all the other games it's an important bittersweer character beat that completely changes the events of the game while also serving as a powerful capstone on the entire series despite being at the end of a midquel. Whether it was intentional or the result of budget issues it was way better than a rehash of the giant robot fight from earlier with a character you know is going to survive in future games.

The plot was also great because it was a bunch of weird superscience magic realism what served as a great recap of all the ideas about warfare, culture, and the free flow of information that the rest of the series touched on without ever having to hanfwave everything away with nanomachines or make winking references to videogames. It also had some of the best imagery in the entire series, especially with how it dipped into horror with the opening or the weird mist zombie supersoldiers or everything involving The Man on Fire and that one research center. And the script.was great precisely because it was so sparse and tightly edited, even if the fans whined about missing all the usual epic MGS memes it was way more mature and intelligent even if the verbal diarrhea of the older games had its charm at the time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Phantom pain has the worst plot of any of the Metal Gears just by the fact it's supposed to connect the Big Boss games with the Gear games and fails.

Well that and being a mess in general. It's sad that the series went out on a low note but a movie could fix that.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Baby Driver as well

Honestly, I hated that film, and Spacey's been phoning it in as an actor ever since he went back to making movies after running the Globe. Seriously, go watch his earlier stuff and then compare that to House of Cards or anything recent, he's just chewing scenery. It's like later DiNiro, he's not playing a role anymore, he's just playing DiNiro.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's really amazing to me that an entire studio would look at a film like The Mummy (2017) and think 'yes, this is exactly how we should launch this franchise we are investing many many millions of dollars in'. Nothing in it works at all. Tom Cruise also plays a horrible amoral character that nobody can possibly like.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Agree to disagree and all but Phantom Pain does have an ending and it's great precisely because instead of being a big boss battle with all the heroes riding off into the sunset like all the other games it's an important bittersweer character beat that completely changes the events of the game while also serving as a powerful capstone on the entire series despite being at the end of a midquel. Whether it was intentional or the result of budget issues it was way better than a rehash of the giant robot fight from earlier with a character you know is going to survive in future games.

The plot was also great because it was a bunch of weird superscience magic realism what served as a great recap of all the ideas about warfare, culture, and the free flow of information that the rest of the series touched on without ever having to hanfwave everything away with nanomachines or make winking references to videogames. It also had some of the best imagery in the entire series, especially with how it dipped into horror with the opening or the weird mist zombie supersoldiers or everything involving The Man on Fire and that one research center. And the script.was great precisely because it was so sparse and tightly edited, even if the fans whined about missing all the usual epic MGS memes it was way more mature and intelligent even if the verbal diarrhea of the older games had its charm at the time.

I take back what I said before, this is the worst. MGSV is a tire fire, and calling it mature and intelligent is a joke.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The hamburger conversations with Kaz and Code Talker redeem MGSV's writing, imo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FlamingLiberal posted:

l. Tom Cruise also plays a horrible amoral character that nobody can possibly like.

Considering recent events I think it is safe to assume that very few Hollywood execs have anything resembling a moral compass.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Phanatic posted:

Honestly, I hated that film, and Spacey's been phoning it in as an actor ever since he went back to making movies after running the Globe. Seriously, go watch his earlier stuff and then compare that to House of Cards or anything recent, he's just chewing scenery. It's like later DiNiro, he's not playing a role anymore, he's just playing DiNiro.

yea, spacey stopped being a guaranteed watch for me more than 10 years ago. not sure i wanna say that he was as bad as de niro but he's been lazy as hell for a good while.

to be fair, he was still a plus when i saw a trailer or something, more likely id watch the film, at least up until these recent news.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

joylessdivision posted:

The Dark Universe suffered the same problem Universal has been having with its "Monsters as franchise" since the success of the Fraiser Mummy.

joylessdivision posted:

the Fraiser Mummy.

I desperately want a well spoken Kelsey Grammar Mummy now

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember someone posted that Spacey would take crap roles (like that 9 Lives movie) to fund a local movie theater or something. I feel horrible for the owner of the movie theater now.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

actually kelsey grammar is a violent drunk

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Powaqoatse posted:

actually kelsey grammar is a violent drunk

He's like 1/20th of a Mel Gibson, which is acceptable levels for a Frazier or Sideshow Bob. Now if he was a Tim The Toolman Taylor (A 1/16th on the Gibson scale) that would be too much. But drunk abusive Kelsey Grammar is welcome in my house any time as long as he shares his angelic voice.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Considering recent events I think it is safe to assume that very few Hollywood execs have anything resembling a moral compass.
Cruise has used Scientology to give himself personal slave labor and yet he still gets work

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He's like 1/20th of a Mel Gibson, which is acceptable levels for a Frazier or Sideshow Bob. Now if he was a Tim The Toolman Taylor (A 1/16th on the Gibson scale) that would be too much. But drunk abusive Kelsey Grammar is welcome in my house any time as long as he shares his angelic voice.

:tim_grunt.aiff:

honestly, i just heard somewhere that he used to be a drunk and was or is an rear end in a top hat. when i watched frasier it was only for their old cop dad & roz

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What would the Niles mummy do? the river Nile could be a cute pun to tie in

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Crazy fact, Kelsey Grammar's mom was murdered by a guy named Niles

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Crazy fact, Kelsey Grammar's mom was murdered by a guy named Niles

On a similar note, Michael Jordan's dad was murdered by a guy wearing a Michael Jordan jersey.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

On a similar note, Michael Jordan's dad was murdered by a guy wearing a Michael Jordan jersey.

i can't tell if this is a true story or a "michael jordan had his dad killed" joke

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Actually I should probably double check urban legends before posting them.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Michael Jordan's dad was murdered by Wile E Coyote when he tried to take a shortcut to the pharmacy that was actually a painted rock wall.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Hey baby, I hear Anubis callin',
Tough scarabs and jackal heads
They're howlin' again

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Looks like that Louis CK movie is not getting released.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/902395-i-love-you-daddy-release-cancelled-netflix-cuts-louis-c-k-ties

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hey baby, I hear Anubis callin',
Tough scarabs and jackal heads
They're howlin' again

:golfclap: mercy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,