Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
This is gods punishment for those garish uniforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Playing CB on a bad Achilles the whole year and still doing great is pretty goddamn impressive. We didn't appreciate Sherman enough.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

...I can’t find fault, honestly.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Kazak_Hstan posted:

No god exists who would hate those wonderful things

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Let's not let Sherman overshadow the tragic comedy that is C.J. Prosise right now.

--Injured his ankle in Week 3
--Came back in Week 7, immediately re-injured the ankle on his first snap
--Came back on Week 10, got three touches before injuring the other ankle

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Prosisely why they can't rely on him

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This is why you don't trust Notre Dame RBs

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Benne posted:

Or in Russell Wilson's case, WRs

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Spoeank posted:

Prosisely why they can't rely on him

Rack 'em

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Benne posted:

Is there still the joke about Penn State Running Backs? Because I would hate to have us draft Barkley somehow and fall in that pit

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm pretty sure we are drafting an RB first round. Or second. We will probably trade our pick like we always do.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Benne posted:

What's Byron Maxwell up to these days

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Spoeank posted:

I always thought Sherman was great and the NFL was better for him playing

Even as a 49er fan I have to agree.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

I hope so, that will upgrade my opinion from "The Rams are really good at beating up on lovely teams and that's fun" to "Rams might be legitimate contenders and I am excited for the playoffs"

I haven't been to this thread since Saturday, so I'm quoting this without reading the rest of the thread yet, but yeah, this is me exactly.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
If the cardinals don’t draft a god drat quarterback I’ll keep cheering for them but be really angry about it

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Kazak_Hstan posted:

There are no likable teams in the NFC west, embrace death, especially to the rams.

:argh:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

The Rams are the best everyone is nice and fun

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Sorry about your Richard Sherman Seahawks fans

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Apparently Kam Chancellor has a stinger.

We might see a bloodbath against us if Earl isn't ready for the Falcons.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

born on a buy you posted:

If the cardinals don’t draft a god drat quarterback I’ll keep cheering for them but be really angry about it

Luckily this is the year to grab one. Lot's of good prospects.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Speaking of the draft my instincts are telling me Sherman's not gonna be the same player if/when he comes back so does anybody know who the absolute lockdown HOF-caliber CBs are in this class?

:negative:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Wasn't Sherman a 5th-round pick? I don't think getting a top 10 CB in the 5th round is going to happen again

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

DariusLikewise posted:

Wasn't Sherman a 5th-round pick? I don't think getting a top 10 CB in the 5th round is going to happen again

And he was a wr out of college

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

Late round (and UDFA) gems will always happen, because scouting is an inexact process at best, and some players will just develop more than others once they're on an NFL team. This is also why there will always be lots of first-rounder busts.

These are mostly just like 20-24 year olds. A lot of them are still getting their poo poo together.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Tank44 posted:

And he was a wr out of college

For part of college. He converted to CB while at Stanford. If you want to see how much he improved as a pro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzm6HeFS2sE

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Late round (and UDFA) gems will always happen, because scouting is an inexact process at best, and some players will just develop more than others once they're on an NFL team. This is also why there will always be lots of first-rounder busts.

These are mostly just like 20-24 year olds. A lot of them are still getting their poo poo together.

I think Darius's point was that the Seahawks won't be able to duplicate the value they got from Sherman's pick without getting lucky, not that there will never again be a 5th-round pick worth a drat.

A huge part of why the Seahawks got so good so fast is that they hit on a bunch of mid/late-round draft picks several years in a row, so for awhile there all their stars were not just on rookie contracts but on especially cheap rookie contracts.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
pre:
2010:
1 (6)	Russell Okung		T	Oklahoma State		
1 (14)	Earl Thomas		S	Texas
2 (60)	Golden Tate		WR	Notre Dame
4 (111)	Walter Thurmond		CB	Oregon
4 (127)	E.J. Wilson		DE	North Carolina
5 (133)	Kam Chancellor		FS	Virginia Tech
6 (185)	Anthony McCoy		TE	Southern Cal
7 (236)	Dexter Davis		DE	Arizona State
7 (245)	Jameson Konz		WR	Kent State	

2011:
1 (25)	James Carpenter 	T	Alabama
3 (75)	John Moffitt	 	G	Wisconsin
4 (99)	K.J. Wright 		LB	Mississippi State
4 (107)	Kris Durham 		WR	Georgia
5 (154)	Richard Sherman 	CB	Stanford
5 (156)	Mark LeGree 		FS	Appalachian State	
6 (173)	Byron Maxwell 		CB	Clemson
7 (205)	Lazarius Levingston 	DE	LSU
7 (242)	Malcolm Smith 		OLB	USC

2012:
1 (15)	Bruce Irvin		DE	West Virginia
2 (47)	Bobby Wagner		LB	Utah State
3 (75)	Russell Wilson		QB	Wisconsin
4 (106)	Robert Turbin		RB	Utah State
4 (114)	Jaye Howard		T	Florida
5 (154)	Korey Toomer		LB	Idaho
6 (172)	Jeremy Lane		CB	Northwestern State
6 (181)	Winston Guy		S	Kentucky
7 (225)	J. R. Sweezy		DE	N.C. State
7 (232)	Greg Scruggs		DE	Louisville

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah. The 'Hawks have drafted well in general. Sherman and Chancellor were both excellent mid-round picks; but look also at Earl Thomas, Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner... they've had some really good early-round picks too.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

rjmccall posted:

I think Darius's point was that the Seahawks won't be able to duplicate the value they got from Sherman's pick without getting lucky, not that there will never again be a 5th-round pick worth a drat.

A huge part of why the Seahawks got so good so fast is that they hit on a bunch of mid/late-round draft picks several years in a row, so for awhile there all their stars were not just on rookie contracts but on especially cheap rookie contracts.

Yeah this was my point, the Seahawks have done amazingly with late-round picks in the last 5 years, but there's no way you're getting a shutdown corner in the mold of Sherman just like that. They may have to shift their strategy away from super tall, physical corners if they are looking to succeed Sherman coming up.

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

I haven't been to this thread since Saturday, so I'm quoting this without reading the rest of the thread yet, but yeah, this is me exactly.

I've been trying not to get too excited over their play so far because the last time I did that was in 2003 and that was the year they lost to the 5-11 Lions on the last game of the season to drop from the No.1 to No.2 seed and then lost to the Carolina Panther on the first play of double overtime to get knocked out of the playoffs.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah. The 'Hawks have drafted well in general. Sherman and Chancellor were both excellent mid-round picks; but look also at Earl Thomas, Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner... they've had some really good early-round picks too.

After 2012, their draft classes have been decidedly more average. 2013 is basically just Luke Wilson, 2014 is just Paul Richardson, 2015 had Lockett and Clark. Wilson is a solid TE, Richardson and Lockett are both high potential WRs, but both have had issues with injuries and consistency, and I think everyone is aware of Clark's pros and cons. 2016 & 17 are too soon to tell, obviously, but 2016 isn't exactly looking great so far.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Coldforge posted:

After 2012, their draft classes have been decidedly more average. 2013 is basically just Luke Wilson, 2014 is just Paul Richardson, 2015 had Lockett and Clark. Wilson is a solid TE, Richardson and Lockett are both high potential WRs, but both have had issues with injuries and consistency, and I think everyone is aware of Clark's pros and cons. 2016 & 17 are too soon to tell, obviously, but 2016 isn't exactly looking great so far.

I think this is the advantage of having a coach/staff fresh out of coaching college. It's easy to scout talent when you're actually facing it week to week. I feel like it's part of why the Herschel Walker trade worked out so well for Jimmy Johnson and crew, a boat load of draft picks to a guy who truly knows the talent coming up from college.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Last night was awful but this is extremely my poo poo

https://twitter.com/JordanHeckFF/st...richard-sherman

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

I've been trying not to get too excited over their play so far because the last time I did that was in 2003 and that was the year they lost to the 5-11 Lions on the last game of the season to drop from the No.1 to No.2 seed and then lost to the Carolina Panther on the first play of double overtime to get knocked out of the playoffs.

Jason Sehorn. :argh:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Its Rinaldo posted:

Last night was awful but this is extremely my poo poo

https://twitter.com/JordanHeckFF/st...richard-sherman

I want to be a fly on the wall during the cardinals film session where Arians berates that db for a solid 45 minutes while that play repeats over and over on the screen.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

rjmccall posted:

pre:
2012:
1 (15)	Bruce Irvin		DE	West Virginia
2 (47)	Bobby Wagner		LB	Utah State
3 (75)	Russell Wilson		QB	Wisconsin
4 (106)	Robert Turbin		RB	Utah State
4 (114)	Jaye Howard		T	Florida
5 (154)	Korey Toomer		LB	Idaho
6 (172)	Jeremy Lane		CB	Northwestern State
6 (181)	Winston Guy		S	Kentucky
7 (225)	J. R. Sweezy		DE	N.C. State
7 (232)	Greg Scruggs		DE	Louisville

Also picked up that year as an UDFA: Doug Baldwin

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
As long as Earl Thomas stays healthy I think this defense will be fine, it just won't be the world beater we're used to. All good things come to an end, you just have to enjoy and appreciate them when they're around.

Thankfully Russ keeps developing and growing, he's really put the team on his back. Hawks are going to have to score lots to make a run this year.

God drat but the league has had a ton of brutal injuries. Any word on how Duane Brown is doing?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/929390030765912064

hooo boy that's going to be a game

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

stanton looked like poo poo and his only skill vs the seahawks was drawing penalties so go ahead. maybe a little qb mobility is what we need too, we were running into 9 and 10 man boxes. once again though, peterson isn't really a fit when you want to spread it out

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

stanton looked like poo poo and his only skill vs the seahawks was drawing penalties so go ahead. maybe a little qb mobility is what we need too, we were running into 9 and 10 man boxes. once again though, peterson isn't really a fit when you want to spread it out

you're not wrong about stanton, but I'm not sure gabbert is any better. With the caveat that it was the 2016 niners, he started the season 1-4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Stanton vs. Gabbert is the QB controversy we deserve

• Locked thread