Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Soulex posted:

It used to be free.

Yeah, a free year iirc. I signed up for it and I think logged in 3 or 4 times total. This is why I hate subscription models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I studied Latin for years. I wish I had traded some of the advanced coursework for some more Greek, though. There's a lot more classical and theological reading to be done there.

TFW [I just learned what that stands for :corsair:] you feel Aristotle judging you for your poorly-rounded classics coursework.

I've been at my new base for a few months now. It's a pretty sweet assignment, but it looks like the new Sq/CC and weak flight leadership are going to take away some of the best parts for no good reason. Air Force gonna Air Force, I guess.

Also, gently caress the VA forever. I hate working with those worthless bastards. God help all of you who get your medical care there. They make DoD healthcare look like the Mayo Clinic.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I started doing the english rosetta stone when it counted for promotion points and was free. Boring as gently caress though. Then they changed how class hours counted for points so I never did get to use the ones I had :(

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The Modern Standard Arabic Rosetta Stone does this awful thing with how they have words pronounced that was so pointless and annoying I had to stop about 5 minutes in.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Rosetta Stone is useless for non-European languages

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is Rosetta Stone better than Duolingo?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hey N4I, why did you delete your stories about the munitions facility?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ugh its Troika posted:

Hey N4I, why did you delete your stories about the munitions facility?

Too explosive. :v:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The Marine DI who put Muslim recruits in running clothes dryers and drove one to suicide got sentenced to 10 years in prison

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The internet assholes came out in droves to complain about the unfairness of the verdict.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LingcodKilla posted:

The internet assholes came out in droves to complain about the unfairness of the verdict.

yeah that sentence was retarded

should have been 25-life

edit: VV yep I'm ok with that.

Memento fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 11, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
10 years seems fair if it's served entirely inside a running dryer

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

canyoneer posted:

10 years seems fair if it's served entirely inside a running dryer

Permanent Press cycle. Wouldn’t want him all wrinkly when he gets out.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Donnie is probably thinking about giving him a pardon already.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Is Rosetta Stone better than Duolingo?

For children, almost certainly. A lot of the methodology Rosetta Stone relies on (not explicitly teaching grammar and expecting you to just pick up on it is a big one) just doesn’t work on adult brains very well.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Permanent Press cycle. Wouldn’t want him all wrinkly when he gets out.

Stick a dryer sheet in too or he'll smell.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Internet Wizard posted:

For children, almost certainly. A lot of the methodology Rosetta Stone relies on (not explicitly teaching grammar and expecting you to just pick up on it is a big one) just doesn’t work on adult brains very well.

Adults with the gift of language acquisition disgust me. I dated a girl who picked up languages almost effortlessly. Its completely unfair to those of us that have a hard time with one language.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I've been learning French off and on for awhile, and duolingo was essentially useless. It taught me some vocabulary, but I couldn't use any of it. I didn't actually know french, I just knew the names of stuff. Rosetta Stone, though, I started really seriously using it just a couple months ago and I can now actually use my French to navigate, operate in stores, order food, and I've been able to build new sentences not taught to me.

Yeah, Rosetta doesn't explicitly state certain rules, which can be frustrating, but I've learned far more French by it than other methods I've tried.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

What have you guys used to great effect for languages?

I'll pay the idiot story tax when I get on break

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Getting drunk enough that you think you speak the language.

Honors credit for getting the other party drunk enough to agree.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

PathAsc posted:

Regular exposure to native speaker and trying to hold conversations. Also drilling vocab every day.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I️ went to DLI so I️ basically had it pummeled into my brain

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I've been learning French off and on for awhile, and duolingo was essentially useless. It taught me some vocabulary, but I couldn't use any of it. I didn't actually know french, I just knew the names of stuff. Rosetta Stone, though, I started really seriously using it just a couple months ago and I can now actually use my French to navigate, operate in stores, order food, and I've been able to build new sentences not taught to me.

Yeah, Rosetta doesn't explicitly state certain rules, which can be frustrating, but I've learned far more French by it than other methods I've tried.

Good luck with the writing.

(gently caress writing in French. I'm a native speaker and I literally need a reference book if I want to make sure I'm not loving up. loving silent letters.)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

PathAsc posted:

take a college course to be honest. I started learning Italian, and if you go from English to whatever language, 99% of the time you will try to find exact words or whatever to translate when sometimes you have to say it in a weird way because of rules. Like for Italian, if it happens in the past, you use the verb "to have" and then a specific ending that signifies it happens in the past and in relation to the subject you are referring.

Honestly, the best "tip" I figured out when trying to learn a language is trying to understand words and phrases through how you'd want to express that feeling. It's hard to describe, but it's like if I wanted to know "come va?" or "how is it going?" but translated to english is "How to go?" or "how going?" So I feel (essentially) and try to express "how's it going?" or "what's up?" without using any english as a reference.

Lots of languages are structured differently than english, and we are actually super loving ambiguous with our subject. It caused me problems when I started or tried to start sentences with "It" and found out they really don't do that in Italian.

Drop money on a college course, it's worth it. I still really loving suck with Italian, but it's mainly vocabulary, and I can relearn all that. The rules are what is important.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

The sooner you stop thinking a sentence in English and then translating it into your target language before speaking it, the better.

When you start having nightmares in your target language you’ll know you’re on the right track.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Also if you’re about to start a session of speaking practice take a shot of something. A lot of your difficulties in speaking a language (especially when starting off) are from a natural fear of misspeaking more than an actual lack of fluency.

Obviously your first couple of months you’re going to suck at speaking because you don’t know anything, but after that part a lot of it is inhibition.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Internet Wizard posted:

Also if you’re about to start a session of speaking practice take a shot of something. A lot of your difficulties in speaking a language (especially when starting off) are from a natural fear of misspeaking more than an actual lack of fluency.

Obviously your first couple of months you’re going to suck at speaking because you don’t know anything, but after that part a lot of it is inhibition.

But... I take a shot before EVERYTHING... Why would a lower my alcohol intake?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Some people learn languages other than Russian.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Keep it simple, don't try and convey yourself in a complex fashion, brilliance in the basics actually applies here

As mentioned, don't try and translate what you hear in your head to English. Just get what you get and roll at the pace of conversation

Find native speakers, go get immersed if possible

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Disney movies have been translated into pretty much any language out there, and everybody loves soap operas, too. You can also listen to BBC radio online in a lot of languages.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Some people learn languages other than Russian.

I'm currently studying Spanish, French, and Russian simultaneously. Russian translated to English seems like it's missing words, like you say the equivalent of "I Tom" instead of "I am Tom" or "There metro" instead of "There is the metro". There's pretty much no equivalent to "the".

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I’m gonna end up learning Albanian through my wife when we teach our kids. Almost about that time.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Soulex posted:

I’m gonna end up learning Albanian through my wife when we teach our kids. Almost about that time.

Good luck

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

I hate that I got this reference.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Flikken posted:

I hate that I got this reference.

Oh. ooooh.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
idgi

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Taken.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Wow, that was subtle. Well done.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I didn’t even get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Wife fuckig hates that movie too. It’s funny cause the more racist/idiot people ask my wife “is that real?” Yeah, that’s their main export. Followed closely by marijuana (that one is actually kinda true).

Good joke though. I only saw the movie once because I can’t watch sex crime/rape stuff. I’m too sensitive. Like, I was shaking during that Irreversible scene. gently caress!