Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

I think CIG's refractory period is somewhere in the decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Combat Theory posted:

Good tank chat:

The "Büffel" pioneer tank is the only vehicle in existence that can lift out and replace it's own engine without additional support.

What, by stealing an engine from that leopard when the crew aren't looking?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

SCtrumpHaters posted:

*moron words*

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Nebiros posted:

drat, I was going to join in tank chat, but that would be as bad as the politics chat that crops up. Then I was going to post a picture of a Tiger with literally shattered armor because it's interesting and I can't find the drat thing. How am I supposed to shitpost in these conditions?

Screw it, here's our family rescue dog.

A German Shepherd, nice segue.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Rugganovich posted:

What, by stealing an engine from that leopard when the crew aren't looking?

Obviously they are playing tank-tac-toe to see which crew has to jump into the mud to tighten the bolts on the bottom of the engine pit.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

SomethingJones posted:

The truth of it is (if you ask me) that nobody actually knows what Ben does to justify his wage and Ben knows that people around him feel this way, or have made it known to him that they feel that way. At least Sandi tells people to tweet poo poo for her and shows up to do her makeup sit in front of a camera once a week.

It all makes sense now. Do a daily show in the morning, and your hair and make-up is done for the rest of the day. Repeat for 6 years. Also explains why it is all done in a single take. (it is a single take, right?)

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Sorry, you don't get absolved of all moral responsibility because you are an employee.

Hang on a minute. Are you saying that "I was only following orders" isn't an excuse.
I'd like to see that get shot down in a court.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
Caught up with the loving thread :woop:

Anyway I think Ben is being sidelined due to his over the top devotion to star citizen, I mean just look at this example of him frothing at the mouth over what a great game SC is...

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/929155022276870144

Or even this SC heavy tweet that leaves his stomach growling in anticipation...

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/928368224789446656

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Titanic posted:

This is my opinion too, without the logical resources. :)

Though I️ always find it funny that in reality, Star Citizen hasn’t begun development yet because of this very real fact.

Chris Roberts doesn’t want to admit that he can’t streamline communication over the internet with college kids the likes of which the world has never seen (because apparently nobody has tried to do it yet, haha).

He so, so desperately wants to be able to take his arena shooter type game and set max players = 9999999942 and it just works because of his sheer will and 1990’s creative programming abilities.

But it can’t, and it won’t. And they keep throwing more and more stuff at this game which is not an mmo that it’s funny.

There is no birthday for Star Citizen. As far as it’s concerned programmatically, Star Citizen doesn’t exist yet.

I️ never stop finding this funny, because it’s like kicking a can down the road, pretending on the next kick it might turn into a Corvette. But it can’t because this is the real loving world, and no matter how much you hope and dream, your will alone isn’t going to break the rules of reality.

And touting “because nobody tried before” is pretty much the dumbest loving thing to say in computer programming.

Precisely. And that's why 3.0 is such an unmitigated disaster of epic proportions.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Hopefully someone still has the screenshot cause this was a fair while ago, back around those heady days before even the persistent universe kicked in. Anyway a guy who wanted to do podcasts and stuff about Star Citizen and other space games cracked a joke in a previous incarnation of this thread (I think about people killing themselves over Star Citizen), and not too long afterwards Sandi emailed him a screencap of his post, and then as an aside demanded to know if he had in fact been complaining that CIG wouldn't give him the time of day for interviews for his show. It was such a ham-handed attempt at trying to scare him it kind of beggared belief but really was the first major highlight for us that people were watching this thread, feeding this information back to at the very least Sandi, and that they thought that they could try to silence dissent with the implied threat of freezing people out. Freezing people out of what I'm not sure since nothing's loving come out.

But if the user's post really did upset CIG then Ben's entire site should have gotten him fired.

Another weird thing was that at one of the conventions they gave Sandi a fake award that was like a golden computer or something that was for "putting up with poo poo on the internet."

As far as I know she never had any online presence in the Star Citizen community at all so what poo poo was she putting up with exactly?

Consider
- Your example of her personally responding to posts from this thread
- People being banned on RSI for posting here
- After we criticized giving Ben donuts she awkwardly came out and placed a huge bag of donuts in the center of the frame while looking at the camera
- After we made fun of her looking high as gently caress with huge glasses and stuffing her face during shows later she just weirdly stared into the camera and started eating while smirking

I think she's probably narcissistic enough to have been reading this thread personally. Which is funny because it means that we have had more direct influence on Star Citizen than any of the whales have had while paying 0$.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

SomethingJones posted:

They're in a right royal fuckup now, aren't they

They need to make the move that sells the most ships - which is NOT releasing it.

Chris Roberts has managed to steer his company into a situation were the health of the company is inversely proportional to the software it releases. CIG itself actually is a paradox.

With revenue falling, they gotta do something. Just some speck of dust to condense the next layer of dreams around. The faithful, after wandering in the desert for so long, will be shocked and elated when a hand reaches down from heaven to give them a juice box with no straw.

Acolyte: Hey guys! You can actually talk to that guy in the bar now! He gives you a quest to deliver a box to the moon base! I used the money to buy this sweet shirt. I'll bet you're really excited about the game, now!

Unclean: Oh, cool. Wait, why does his shirt disappear when he put on his coat? How do you get in your ship when it's buried like... Oh, you can activate your chair from outside and go through the glass. Cool.

Acolyte: Yeah, it's so ambitious and they're making no compromises, so of course there's going to be issues. It'll be fine in the next version. At least we really know they can deliver now. That's good, because I'm really excited about getting their new terraforming ship at Citcon. Look, it's got lasers that can dig underground and you can drive around subterraineously. You find these ores that you can smelt into building materials, and you can build thermodynamic plants that change the climate of the planetoid you are on. ED is so dumb, they can't even dynamically make oceans. If you are really my friend you will buy a battleship to protect my ores.

Unclean: Awesome!

God I hope they release it for Christmas. We'll be set for lols well into Q1/18.

A release, and at least one creative new cash grab. This is the tipping point. The sub is sinking, and they gotta blow the last of the ballast air. They might even stop working on mocap.
:regd08:

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Preen Dog posted:

With revenue falling, they gotta do something. Just some speck of dust to condense the next layer of dreams around. The faithful, after wandering in the desert for so long, will be shocked and elated when a hand reaches down from heaven to give them a juice box with no straw.

Acolyte: Hey guys! You can actually talk to that guy in the bar now! He gives you a quest to deliver a box to the moon base! I used the money to buy this sweet shirt. I'll bet you're really excited about the game, now!

Unclean: Oh, cool. Wait, why does his shirt disappear when he put on his coat? How do you get in your ship when it's buried like... Oh, you can activate your chair from outside and go through the glass. Cool.

Acolyte: Yeah, it's so ambitious and they're making no compromises, so of course there's going to be issues. It'll be fine in the next version. At least we really know they can deliver now. That's good, because I'm really excited about getting their new terraforming ship at Citcon. Look, it's got lasers that can dig underground and you can drive around subterraineously. You find these ores that you can smelt into building materials, and you can build thermodynamic plants that change the climate of the planetoid you are on. ED is so dumb, they can't even dynamically make oceans. If you are really my friend you will buy a battleship to protect my ores.

Unclean: Awesome!

God I hope they release it for Christmas. We'll be set for lols well into Q1/18.

A release, and at least one creative new cash grab. This is the tipping point. The sub is sinking, and they gotta blow the last of the ballast air. They might even stop working on mocap.
:regd08:

Hey man, don't get any crazy ideas. Like hell they're giving up mocap. It's the linchpin of it all. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Preen Dog posted:

With revenue falling, they gotta do something.

Here's a thing that is so obvious I only just realised it.

The funding isn't going to go back up. It's headed in one direction only and that is southwest towards FUBAR. As Agent quite rightly points out November is on track to be 50% down from last November. October is just shy of 40% down on last October.

What this means is that by the end of December everyone will be able to see if this trend has continued. If it does, December is down 60%. Jan 2018 is down 70%. And so on. How cool would that be?

They can't release 3.0 until after the xmas sale, which raises another question in my head - what in the wide wide world of loving sport kind of ship could there possibly be that hasn't been done already? We have ships that mine, motorbikes, Cryengine buggies, multicrew, fighters of all kinds, ships that poo poo out bases to watch your commando masturbate inside... what else is there?

Your own space station for $5,000? They may as well, why the gently caress would they not? That's a year worth of theorycrafting right there. You could have a promo video knocked up for that in 2 weeks.

They've long ago hit the hard technical limit of what the engine can do (and they know it), and it *should* be possible by the end of this year to see if they've hit the hard limit of funding too.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

VictorianQueerLit posted:

while paying 0$.

I paid 10$, gonna ask a refund.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

his nibs posted:

What do the tank crews call infantry?

Speed bumps :tipshat:

A Tiger drives into a bar....

And it collapses :tipshat:

Why were the Tiger and Panther running away?

A Maus was chasing them.:tipshat:

How many gears does an Italian tank have?

6. >1 forward, 5 backward.:tipshat:

Okay I'm done. :colbert:

look at this noob capping for efficiency

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

What's to stop them sharting out 3.0 and closing the doors/running away?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

biglads posted:

Basically nothing, as far as I'm aware.

dr slut
Jan 26, 2003

biglads posted:

You don't want to piss off gamers, they never forget or forgive. They will post lots of really mean Reddit threads about it, and eventually you will go out of business due to boycotts . For some examples, see the graveyard of companies that every gamer hates which have been driven out of business. Some prime examples are EA, Ubisoft and Activision.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

biglads posted:

Severe lack of 3.0 to shart out

e: and longstanding problems with doors

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The real question is, what's to stop them from glitching through their prison bars and t-posing to another country without extradition to the US?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

Here's a thing that is so obvious I only just realised it.

The funding isn't going to go back up. It's headed in one direction only and that is southwest towards FUBAR. As Agent quite rightly points out November is on track to be 50% down from last November. October is just shy of 40% down on last October.

What this means is that by the end of December everyone will be able to see if this trend has continued. If it does, December is down 60%. Jan 2018 is down 70%. And so on. How cool would that be?

They can't release 3.0 until after the xmas sale, which raises another question in my head - what in the wide wide world of loving sport kind of ship could there possibly be that hasn't been done already? We have ships that mine, motorbikes, Cryengine buggies, multicrew, fighters of all kinds, ships that poo poo out bases to watch your commando masturbate inside... what else is there?

Your own space station for $5,000? They may as well, why the gently caress would they not? That's a year worth of theorycrafting right there. You could have a promo video knocked up for that in 2 weeks.

They've long ago hit the hard technical limit of what the engine can do (and they know it), and it *should* be possible by the end of this year to see if they've hit the hard limit of funding too.

Christ the 2690s were some rough pages to get through. Thread got really bad for awhile.

Honestly, I'd be shocked if they don't roll out capitals again before years end. I think this is the only year so far they've not sold them at all? Fastest/biggest cash injection I can think of if they're truly desperate. Easiest too.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

SomethingJones posted:

Assuming the base-building ship sale wasn't so disappointing for CIG that it actually scared them out of inventing new game features that won't be in the game (ha! as if that could ever happen!), maybe they could lean into whale paranoia and introduce even more new game features that won't be in the game to support the bases that won't be in the game: perhaps a range of "base defense" bullshit like orbital defense satellites or minelayers. You bought a base-building ship, now you need to spend more money to protect your investment! Each defense satellite is 100% guaranteed to do, er, SOMETHING to protect your precious base from attack, probably, we hope! We're pretty sure we can make sure they spawn into the same instance as your base and won't glitch into oblivion at least some of the time, anyway! (Hell, if you buy a LOT of them, there might not even be room in the instance for you, making your base the SAFEST ONE EVER!)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Trilobite posted:

Assuming the base-building ship sale wasn't so disappointing for CIG that it actually scared them out of inventing new game features that won't be in the game (ha! as if that could ever happen!), maybe they could lean into whale paranoia and introduce even more new game features that won't be in the game to support the bases that won't be in the game: perhaps a range of "base defense" bullshit like orbital defense satellites or minelayers. You bought a base-building ship, now you need to spend more money to protect your investment! Each defense satellite is 100% guaranteed to do, er, SOMETHING to protect your precious base from attack, probably, we hope! We're pretty sure we can make sure they spawn into the same instance as your base and won't glitch into oblivion at least some of the time, anyway! (Hell, if you buy a LOT of them, there might not even be room in the instance for you, making your base the SAFEST ONE EVER!)
Base plumbing support plan: $20 a month so that your poo poo doesn't clog your crappers.
Nanomachine dusting: $10 a month so that your base doesn't get covered with dust when you're away.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Beer, where did you touched them to attract this long lasting hate ?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

KidsNowADays.jpg

Or maybe:

KdsNwADy.jpg

to keep in the 8 character filename limit.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/929214251465547776 (thread)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So that's what happened to Gorilla Monsoon...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SomethingJones posted:

Your own space station for $5,000? They may as well, why the gently caress would they not?

:lol: Space stations start at $50,000 you cheap-rear end.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I've got a disc that says Darklight Conflict. Which WC2 edition is that, Ben?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

What the flying gently caress is wrong with him

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

trucutru posted:

:lol: Space stations start at $50,000 you cheap-rear end.

It's great value when you consider they're priced for orgs, not individuals.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

SCtrumpHaters posted:

If I hire a dude to perform a code function and he is not able to perform a code function and lies/confounds over it for months on end its on the employee just as much if not more than the director.

Sorry, you don't get absolved of all moral responsibility because you are an employee.

I like how in this situation you start out making the decisions and then end up blaming some no name director for your hiring mistakes.

Most people just want to pull a paycheck, dude, and will do any stupid thing their boss puts in front of them. It's not their name on the masthead, what the gently caress do they care what happens with their code?

The whole idea of having morality in your job comes from a place of privelige. A vast majority of people these days don't get to choose their boss, they just do what they're told and hope to avoid any kind of marks on their work history.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Variable 5 posted:

What the flying gently caress is wrong with him

I reminder that he literally believes that his ability to see was saved by Wing Commander and it is practically the guy's religion.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I for one would like to know what kind of QA process they are using where major bugs pop up out of no where as they are burning down to a release. This should all be bug verification and regression and if your regression is causing your bug count to more than double, then something is extremely wrong with one of your processes.

Honestly even if you take it at face value it's one of probably two things:

1. On the first chart one of the bugs is "Can't enter ship X because the door doesn't respond to commands", the next build they get the door to open and QA walks in and falls through the floor in 5 different spots, gets sucked through a window when jumping from point A to B and the ship spontaneously detonates when they flush the toilet from the poo poo colliding with the pipes and dealing damage to the ship. Repeat for every ship/station/hallway/whatever.

2. The managers say "We're focusing on ship X not ship Y so don't file any bugs on ship Y until we say it's okay to", and then later say "okay we're going to start testing on ship Y". Repeat for any feature/ship/station/etc.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zzr posted:

Beer, where did you touched them to attract this long lasting hate ?

Fandred is a guy who used to post on the refunds reddit with a "neutral" gimmick, fooling no one. Of course, he was biased (towards the sucking CIG cock side) as hell but sincerely believed that calling himself neutral made him so. He would post some stupid pro-CIG poo poo at the refunds place, and then immediately post about Derek's penis and his army of goons at the DS sub, and kept doing so until he got banned from posting at the refunds one. This caused him to become incredibly butt-hurt (Because he was neutral, you see?), which only increased his GOOONS! hate.

He's just the kind of guy that is full of bullshit but that can't fool anybody but himself. He's also really, really dumb.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Henry Scorpio posted:

Probably choked by legacy code and lots of engine changes to systems they barely understand.

The Lumberyard networking foundations look pretty standard:
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/developerguide/networking-overview.html

But I would bet they are using the deprecated crytek networking.

In the alternate history where CIG is successful, croberts pulled together an all star dev team from contacts he made during his decades of roles at AAA studios designing genre defining hits. Robert's 200. The devs drew on their decades of experience having worked on some of the most ambitious and successful online games ever released to build a custom networking infrastructure capable of handling fast moving physics simulation based gameplay with hundreds of online participants without instantly going bankrupt in cloud compute fees.

It looks like Lumberyard still uses the old CryEngine netcode enhanced with some AWS features to sell their overprized cloud server service.

code:
GridMate's approach follows the rule “when something happens, it happens for everyone”. 
This will not work with an MMO. It's great for12vs12 FPS games.

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
brb starting a company to release some advanced door opening/closing middleware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Hobold posted:

Christ the 2690s were some rough pages to get through. Thread got really bad for awhile.

Honestly, I'd be shocked if they don't roll out capitals again before years end. I think this is the only year so far they've not sold them at all? Fastest/biggest cash injection I can think of if they're truly desperate. Easiest too.

Thanks for keeping the bar so fuckin' high with this gem of a post.