Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Is Yoshi's Island a Mario game? It was advertised as Super Mario World 2 on the GBA IIRC. So does that make Yoshi's New Island a Mario game? If so, that's mine. QED. QUid Pro Quo

I wasn't as crazy about Yoshi's Island as everyone else (and I love muh plumber mans). I don't really like the egg throwing mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

elex owns dude dont be hatin on the weird gothic stalker combination that is basically everything i ever wanted in a game

I just wish it was less janky :negative:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i lied btw, elex is not goty any year

its a hell of a thing though

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

CuddlyZombie posted:

I just thought "who the gently caress would not realize they're not pressing a button" before realizing that's literally how my macbook trackpad works and oh my god that explains why it doesnt click when its off holy poo poo. so its me, i wouldnt have noticed.

Yup lol. Good haptic feedback stuff is a complete mindfuck, I'm excited to see it used more in game controllers. Seems like the kind of thing that's easy to overdo and screw up but when done well you won't even consciously know it's there

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I really liked Gothic 2 for some reason. I like games where you run around guerilla fighting things and mostly run away until you become powerful.

Speaking of, I'm playing BoTW for the first time and started in Master Mode and I basically run from everything. It's pretty cool so far.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is Yoshi's Island a Mario game? It was advertised as Super Mario World 2 on the GBA IIRC. So does that make Yoshi's New Island a Mario game? If so, that's mine. QED. QUid Pro Quo

I wasn't as crazy about Yoshi's Island as everyone else (and I love muh plumber mans). I don't really like the egg throwing mechanic.

The official title of the original release is Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island but I think the subsequent sequels don't count as they're under the Yoshi umbrella

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

so is wario land: super mario land 3 a mario game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Phantasium posted:

I don't remember anything from NSMB2 at all.

it had an ice world and a water world and a fire world and a desert world :haw:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When are we gonna get a new Wario game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CJacobs posted:

Elex looks interesting from what little I've seen but I have absolutely no idea what it's about or what kind of game it is. Is there a thread on it?

https://twitter.com/reccadia/status/921032253756641280

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So what you're saying is, I should play Elex.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

some games came close but nothing will likely dethrone Yazkuza 0 as my favorite for this year. Had that dreamcast "purity" vibe to it where everything is just fun as gently caress, the story and writing is excellent and does drama and humor equally well, there's shitloads of side activities that are fleshed out to an insane degree, ans the presentation of everything is just perfect. It's probably one of the best games I've ever played; I'm wondering if Yakuza 6 or Kiwami 2 will reach the same heights next year.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

precision posted:

it had an ice world and a water world and a fire world and a desert world :haw:

And the gimmick was based around coin collecting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

so is wario land: super mario land 3 a mario game

I'd say it's more of a Mario game than Yoshi's Island because it actually kept the Mario Land 3 in Japan where it's actually the full title and Wario Land is the subtitle.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
My favorite game of the year is Nier:Automata. It definitely has its flaws but the game succeeded pretty well at playing with my emotions and the final ending was one of the most memorable moments I've played through in a game. Persona 5, Yakuza 0, and BotW close behind. Honorable mention to Night in the Woods and Hellblade.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxA33Jw61Kg

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

I'd say it's more of a Mario game than Yoshi's Island because it actually kept the Mario Land 3 in Japan where it's actually the full title and Wario Land is the subtitle.
yoshi's island is called super mario: yoshi island, in japan

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Isn't Yoshi's Island's full name "Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island"? Or am I going nuts?

edit:

I'm not going nuts, it's even on the box art

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

It's called Doki Doki Panic 3 actually

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
welcome to wario world

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
GOTY is Hollow Knight

I don't actually think that because I think GOTY is a stupid concept, but I feel obligated to mention Hollow Knight in these discussions because more people need to play it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

super mario odyssey is based on a video game nintendo made for a japanese hat manufacturer, they just replaced the main character "hat man" with mario

al-azad
May 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Well Japan doesn't stress it's the sequel to Mario World, but for Yoshi and Wario I guess Nintendo wasn't confident enough those characters could stand on their own.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I find it funny that Yoshi is still above Luigi in terms of character branding focus. There's only room for one green dude in town Luigi my man and you are way too scrawny for mario to hitch a ride on your back

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
according to Polygon, Yoshi's Island is not a Mario game

Also please enjoy Jeremy's delightfully controversial top pick

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Luigi got a whole year man. Give the guy some respect.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
How many hours long is a full playthrough of the new Nier? I'm curious if I should wait until after Xenoblade 2 comes out to pick it up or if I can squeeze it in before

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

gently caress Polygon, the game has Mario in it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

How many hours long is a full playthrough of the new Nier? I'm curious if I should wait until after Xenoblade 2 comes out to pick it up or if I can squeeze it in before

Steam tells me I took 33 hours

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

GOTY is Hollow Knight

I don't actually think that because I think GOTY is a stupid concept, but I feel obligated to mention Hollow Knight in these discussions because more people need to play it.

I've been waiting for it to be on Switch but I have no idea when it's due

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Is Yoshi's Island more or less of a Mario game than Mario's Time Machine?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

according to Polygon, Yoshi's Island is not a Mario game

Also please enjoy Jeremy's delightfully controversial top pick

https://twitter.com/FourScore64/status/928801420538720256

This is one of those cases where I feel like the article's writer is just lying to get clicks.

DLC Inc posted:

I've been waiting for it to be on Switch but I have no idea when it's due

They said this year but with the end approaching fast and there being no release date I doubt that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if I made a mario suit would that make custom maid 3D a mario game? how many pieces of the mario outfit would the maid have to take off before its no longer a mario game?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well he didn't list Mario Maker so anything other than his classic red and blue overalls disqualifies even the true Mario from the start.

But that doesn't explain why Super Mario 64 DS wasn't listed :thunk:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 11, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

bleh all this mario poo poo is just Popeye fanfiction anyway

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

homeless snail posted:

if I made a mario suit would that make custom maid 3D a mario game? how many pieces of the mario outfit would the maid have to take off before its no longer a mario game?

Bowser's Clown Car of Theseus

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So what is the Yakuza series and should I possibly buy one of them

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

So what is the Yakuza series and should I possibly buy one of them

Yakuza 0 in particular is a game about 1980s Japan crossed with a soap opera story, brutal brawling, and hundreds of side activities. It would also be correct to describe Yakuza 0 as a real estate and cabaret simulator with breaks to play darts, shoot pool, and smash bicycles over the heads of an entire crime syndicate. After all is said and done, you retire to your home office to write letters to a radio show in the hopes your stupid tale about helping a dominatrix restore her confidence will make the air. Also, your best friends are a man in a diaper with acute priapism, and a debt collector woman who destroys people with milk crates.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I feel like I now know less than I did 20 minutes ago

I guess it's a brawler of sorts kind of? With an absurd number of minigames? Anyway it seems interesting, though it's gotta compete with odyssey and botw for mental headspace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are the final DLC characters in Injustice 2.

• Locked thread