Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Hoooooooly poo poo

Klingon: "That's all!?"
:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Cardassians are such eternal assholes
In Ocett's defense, you do have to be a special kind of bastard to be able to pull off pigtails in your late 40s.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Whew that sweet ending made it a little less bitter. That may be the ultimate quintessential Trek episode.

Did Star Control do a seed of directed evolution thing too? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Whew that sweet ending made it a little less bitter. That may be the ultimate quintessential Trek episode.

Did Star Control do a seed of directed evolution thing too? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

I’m not sure the Arilou literally created humans, but they definitely directed their evolution.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
"This unique archaeological artifact is over 12000 years old, and priceless in nature"

"Now let me touch it with my bare hands like a loving animal"

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

mossyfisk posted:

"This unique archaeological artifact is over 12000 years old, and priceless in nature"

"Now let me touch it with my bare hands like a loving animal"

its the federation future, man, they have the kind of technomagic to make contaminating historical objects a thing of the past

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Picard is bald BY CHOICE. They solved male pattern baldness ages ago so im sure they also have some kind of way to make hands constantly secreting purell.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Tears of the Prophets

Oh DS9, stop with the technobabble just call it electronic warfare or jamming or a computer virus or something. The Federation's electronic warfare capabilities must be goddamn terrifying if Star Trek writers were ever interested in the subject.

Dukat's still a fuckup.

As for Jadzia, eh. I felt she was the weakest member of the main cast throughout the show, and the foreshadowing this episode was really heavy in a not good way. Sisko's eulogy at the end was great, but I put that down more to Sisko's strength as a character and Brooks' skill as an actor than anything to do directly with Jadzia.

Decent episode all around, but I think it suffered from a lack of focus. I think it should have focused more on either the battle (first big offensive action since retaking the station!) or Dukat's stuff with the Pah-Wraiths and Prophets and wormhole.

I have almost no memory of the next and final season, so fingers crossed.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Cythereal posted:

I have almost no memory of the next and final season, so fingers crossed.

There's good, there's bad, then there's Ezri. :v:

Still, it has my favorite O'Brien Must Suffer episode; Treachery, Faith, and the Great River.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jeb! Repetition posted:

"Disable their defensive systems"
*Vaporizes their whole ship*

Oh wait Worf didn't mean to do that. This must have been a trick by the professor

lol you can tell the writers were just super lazy there

"oh god now we gotta deal with this fuckin' alien ship"
"uhhhh... naw, it just exploded! it's all good!"

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Man I think I'm the only person who liked Jadzia

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I still want to see Avery Brooks' Joran that was too creepy to air.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

I liked her. They didn't so much with her character, but I dug the "I've been there and done that like, eight times, so whatever" moments she'd have.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like Jadzia but I can't really separate the character from the deep and profound effects Terry Farrell had on my teenage boy mind.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Spoeank posted:

I think she had good moments, but that the writers didn't know how to use her beyond Trill stuff and, later, making her an accessory to Worf's character.

Grand Fromage posted:

I like Jadzia but I can't really separate the character from the deep and profound effects Terry Farrell had on my teenage boy mind.

Jadzia didn't do it for me, personally. Now I do remember Ezri for similar reasons. :v:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Al Borland Corp. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ4qkDqjA3Q

Please watch this right when you're done with this episode

RLM with mostly the same edits, but I admire the added sound effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqb9q3c1Pxo&t=305s

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Image in the Sand

Start of season seven and Bashir is still carrying a torch for Jadzia. Bashir, dude, you're smart, athletic, good looking, and a good man. Bit of a dork but who isn't on this show. You should not be acting like a guy from /r/Incels.

Did not remember that Damar's drinking isn't just a meme, Weyoun legit comments on him being an alcoholic.

My issue with this episode boils down to feeling the previous episode didn't have the emotional punch it needed. I remarked then that I felt the story was unfocused and needed to focus on one plot or the other, and this episode which is about dealing with the emotional fallout from that episode accordingly feels unearned.

On the other hand, Ezri. :swoon:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

On the other hand, Ezri. :swoon:

This forever.

The worst thing Terry Farrell did was make Ezri a one season character. poo poo or get off the pot!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Bloop posted:

This forever.

The worst thing Terry Farrell did was make Ezri a one season character. poo poo or get off the pot!

Mirror Jadzia was good. Mirror Ezri was also good, so :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Oh no :ohdear:
http://www.vulture.com/2017/11/george-takei-denies-sexual-assault-claims.html

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Oh my

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

not an empty quote

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FuturePastNow posted:

not an empty quote

This but Ezri for me. :v:

Shadows and Symbols

And the Everybody Loves Jadzia (Even Quark) show comes to an end. The only plot in this two-parter that's interesting is the stuff with Sisko and Ezri, though I'm not a fan of removing the ambiguity from Far Beyond the Stars about what was happening. My interpretation of that episode had been that it was a positive vision meant to rekindle Sisko's hope and will to fight.

I really think more time should have been spent with Sisko's revelation at the end and what it meant for the Sisko family. That's a hosed up thing the Prophets did, and only Sisko seems mildly perturbed about it.

While I have almost no memories of this season and Ezri's cute as a button, I can already tell I'm probably not going to be entirely thrilled with Ezri. Only one season left to go, a lot of crap about Ezri and Jadzia (and Worf and probably Bashir knowing these writers) to untangle, and of course the whole Dominion War and Pah-Wraths vs Prophets plots to wrap up. I get the feeling there's going to be a lot of Ezri episodes this season, Ezri's character development is going to be incredibly rushed and muddled, or both.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Not an empty quote

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Cythereal posted:

I get the feeling there's going to be a lot of Ezri episodes this season, Ezri's character development is going to be incredibly rushed and muddled, or both.

It is most definitely rushed. It's not really bad for what it is, though. More for what could have been. It's like "why didn't they do this with Dax before?"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Grand Fromage posted:

This got me googling, and both Terry Farrell and Nicole De Boer are still mind bogglingly attractive two decades on. Fine wine, both of them.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
I think Nana Visitor seems to have aged the best out of all of them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My biggest question at this point is, why is Ezri being assigned to DS9 at all? Isn't this very strictly against how Trill do things and a transparently bad idea to Starfleet? I got the immediate impression that the best thing for Ezri would be to keep her as far away from Deep Space Nine as possible. She was an assistant counselor, surely there are centers for traumatized veterans of the war in urgent need of therapists.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Cythereal posted:

My biggest question at this point is, why is Ezri being assigned to DS9 at all? Isn't this very strictly against how Trill do things and a transparently bad idea to Starfleet? I got the immediate impression that the best thing for Ezri would be to keep her as far away from Deep Space Nine as possible. She was an assistant counselor, surely there are centers for traumatized veterans of the war in urgent need of therapists.

Hilarious mismanagement of mental health resources is true to life.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

I liked her. They didn't so much with her character, but I dug the "I've been there and done that like, eight times, so whatever" moments she'd have.

I thought the constant one-sided Bashir romance teases were lame and held Dax back during the pre-Worf period. Then during the pre-Worf period she was held back by being joined at the hip to Worf, who was...not very interesting as a romantic lead, let's say.

Bashir (as a distinct entity from the very attractive and cool alexander siddig) is a dweeb who should not get to date anybody, I feel.

Would have been more interesting if they had cut the Dax/Bashir ship tease and spent that time either giving Dax more independent swashbuckling adventures, or teasing Dax/Sisko instead. Though the implications of the latter, vis-a-vis Sisko's prior relationship with Curzon, might have been unacceptable by 90s TV standards.

tl;dr dax never really spread her wings as a character because she spent most of the show slotted in as a love interest for dorks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Afterimage

Hoo boy, there's a lot to unpack here.

Garak: This is why I feel Garak is the best Cardassian on Deep Space Nine as a representation of his people. Garak is above all else a loyal man who serves Cardassia, even when that necessitates working against Cardassia's current leadership and activities.

Sisko: I don't say this too often, but you can be an rear end in a top hat at times. What if Ezri really isn't cut out for this? What if she really would have been happier without ever being Joined? We never hear about Trill who reject being Joined, no one ever seems to take the stance "If I don't do this that symbiont dies, but if the symbiont Joins me I will die." Give the woman a loving break!

Worf: Y'see, this kind of poo poo is why I think Ezri should have been kept as far away from Deep Space Nine as possible.

Bashir: Stop being such a loving goon.

I like Ezri, but man do I think this episode is a disservice to the character as established. This place is not healthy, or wise for her. Find Ezri a job as a therapist in a PTSD center or a Starfleet VA. Or counseling cadets at Starfleet Academy - God knows they probably need it.

And for the love of God, wait for Jadzia's body to be cold before seeing which guy (because of loving course it will be a guy, all of whom on this station except O'Brien, Odo, and maybe Sisko were apparently in love with Jadzia) Ezri is going to be paired off with.

This station absolutely needs a counselor, but Ezri is manifestly the wrong person for the job - she is in urgent need of a counselor. Commission Vic or Quark in a blue uniform instead.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

PupsOfWar posted:

Would have been more interesting if they had cut the Dax/Bashir ship tease and spent that time either giving Dax more independent swashbuckling adventures, or teasing Dax/Sisko instead. Though the implications of the latter, vis-a-vis Sisko's prior relationship with Curzon, might have been unacceptable by 90s TV standards.

Eh, this is one thing I think they did right. I'm kind of glad they just let a man and woman have a close friendship without any romantic implications.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watching Frame of Mind. What the gently caress

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Was that blueshirt Riker passed just a straight up Cardassian?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Riker's dumb joke falling completely flat on Worf

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

And Worf just nicked him with a dagger. Everything about that exchange was vaguely off like a Lynch film.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Riker's being weird

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"It's as if I was in Frame of Mind."
:stare:
"Frame of Mind?"
"Beverly's Play."
:grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Waht