Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A critical part of being able to enjoy table top Shadowrun is the ability to look at something in the source books and say "No, that's loving stupid. We'll do it this way instead."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Am I wrong or could you berate Baron Samedi enough to make him drop his gimmick persona? I seem to remember getting him to swap over to Harkeem and a skinny blerd portrait.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

David Corbett posted:

Now that we’re drawing toward the end, I just wanted to say that this has been a phenomenal thread for its wonderful combination of gameplay and lore. Truly enjoyable to read whether there has been an update or not. I can’t say that about many LPs, so well done!

I really appreciate the kind words. And yeah, I originally figured this thing would have about five active followers so it's been super cool seeing so many people come in and talk about the game and the setting. Lots of really interesting discussion and good people here, it's been great.

7c Nickel posted:

Am I wrong or could you berate Baron Samedi enough to make him drop his gimmick persona? I seem to remember getting him to swap over to Harkeem and a skinny blerd portrait.

I'm afraid you've dreamt that part up. There's something kind of like that in Dragonfall (which by the way is real deep in spoiler territory and thus best not talked about at all at this stage) so maybe you're getting things mixed up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You're almost 50 pages in, of course there's a bunch of us.

Edit: VVVV What this guy said.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 10, 2017

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Hell, it's a drat good LP.

See, Shadowrun Returns is a lovely game, and it's turn-based so it'd be (technically) easy to LP. You're letting the story tell itself, because it's entertaining on its own.

But, and this is crucial, you're giving us new insights, posting relevant stories from the "expanded Universe", and giving us what different responses we'd get out of dialogue options. Doing too much is as much a mistake as doing too little. You're keeping a good balance, and that's appreciated.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Oh yeah, this is good stuff.

I may complain, but hopefully everyone knows it's in good spirits.

You're doing good, OP.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, you're doing great! Having played through Dragonfall and Hong Kong but not completed Returns, great to see it done.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yeah, thanks for doing this, I really like this game and talking about it is great. Nerding out about Shadowrun is a fun time as well, since as I mentioned before, it was my first pen and paper RPG system that I played and I fell super deep into the lore of it when I really got into it.

The UB storyline happened in the lore before I got into the game, so I knew all about it from the history section, and once Shane name dropped it in the first half hour, I knew I would be going to be going on a drat bug spirit hunt eventually.

Psion posted:

This is always, always my lineup for the exact same reason.

Yup, me too. I knew of Harlequin from the lore dives I did, but never really saw him in action in any of the fluff writing or whatever, so he was just a prominent GM PC used in the background for me who had a bunch of poo poo feats attributed to him. I knew him showing up was a damned big deal, alongside "Hans Brackhaus" and James Telestrian. Having another gun alongside was always a help, especially since that additional gun is a Tir Ghost, in addition to my runner being an assault rifle wielding Street Samurai.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I read through this whole thread over the last week--good stuff, thanks for doing it--and went on a wiki safari, ending on Dunkelzahn's Will. I know they're all essentially written to be plot hooks for GMs to latch onto, but did there ever end up being canonical followups to either of these?

quote:

To George "Locomotive" Fenamore, wherever he is at present, I sadly bequeath the locked steel box number 412 from my private vault at the Manhattan Citibank Depository. The box is not to be opened until he deems it absolutely necessary, or until my comrade manages to successfully "survive" another Double Tuesday. I pray the darkness ends for you someday.

To the executor of my will, Nadja Daviar, I grant full disposition of the other fifteen boxes marked for George Fenamore, or his descendants, should any of them ever ask. If not, upon your own demise, they are to be summarily destroyed UNOPENED in the main microwave blast furnace of Bethlehem Steel, Pa.

To Bethlehem Steel, I leave 2 million nuyen for the purpose of the immediate destruction of fifteen steel boxes, UNOPENED, when and if they are delivered to the main furnace crew boss, and the additional amount of 500,000 nuyen to the crew boss as danger money to be distributed to his crew in the event of injuries resulting from this task. If the task is accomplished without mishap, the crew boss may keep the full amount or disburse it as he wishes.

quote:

To Silvery K, I leave my private can opener program. You know where to find it on the Matrix, and the IC has been programmed to accept your ID in the event of my death. Have fun. I am so very glad I won’t be here to see what you do with it.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Ciaphas posted:

I read through this whole thread over the last week--good stuff, thanks for doing it--and went on a wiki safari, ending on Dunkelzahn's Will. I know they're all essentially written to be plot hooks for GMs to latch onto, but did there ever end up being canonical followups to either of these?

There's never been any canon confirmation, but it's usually agreed that his "can opener" was the Magestone, a mythical cryptokey system capable of bypassing any IC.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Neat. I like the idea that to any deckers confronting it it would look like one of those olde tyme openers.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 11, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

As a kid the genesis Shadowrun game was my jam for years, mostly because I was absolutely enthralled by Matrix runs. I could sit in front of the Genesis and just do random runs against Renraku for Caleb Brightmore for literal hours.

Every video game implementation of the Matrix since has been a disappointment, though that's probably more rose tinted memories talking than anything.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dunklezahn's Will is one of my favorite bits of Shadowrun lore. It's a Great Dragon going "oh my GOD I can set things up to happen AFTER I DIE?"

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Dunkel's will is possibly one of the greatest adventure supplements of all time bar none.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Reminds me that while he's not directly featured in any of the games, you can spot his election poster at the Union entrance and probably other places too.

E:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 11, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Every single picture of D looks drastically different. Emphasizes the importance of having a setting bible of some sort.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

wiegieman posted:

Dunklezahn's Will is one of my favorite bits of Shadowrun lore. It's a Great Dragon going "oh my GOD I can set things up to happen AFTER I DIE?"

It even opens with him basically telling all of the other Dragons "How did we never think of this, it's amazing!"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Xander77 posted:

Every single picture of D looks drastically different. Emphasizes the importance of having a setting bible of some sort.

The Big D looks however the gently caress he wants. If you don't like that take it up to the great dragon himself.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I now imagine a GM slipping into Dunk's will something like "Five Million Yen to produce and deploy databombs and other viruses to ensure records have enough contradictory evidence of my appearance that no-one can be sure what I looked like."

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I think one of my favorite things about Dunk's run for the UCAS presidency is that he needed Congress to pass a law giving him citizenship before he could run, because dragons, great or otherwise, and other sentient magical creatures weren't given citizenship by default in the new Constitution that formed the UCAS, and that same document said that they could gain it via acts of Congress, and you needed to be one in order to be President in the first place

Then again, who's gonna say no to a Great Dragon, especially one so outwardly personable like Big D?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

GhostStalker posted:

I think one of my favorite things about Dunk's run for the UCAS presidency is that he needed Congress to pass a law giving him citizenship before he could run, because dragons, great or otherwise, and other sentient magical creatures weren't given citizenship by default in the new Constitution that formed the UCAS, and that same document said that they could gain it via acts of Congress, and you needed to be one in order to be President in the first place

Then again, who's gonna say no to a Great Dragon, especially one so outwardly personable like Big D?

I'd imagine he got rid of that whole "natural born citizen" bit as well.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
The creation of the UCAS itself probably did away with that on its own.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

The creation of the UCAS itself probably did away with that on its own.

Probably, especially with all those megacorporate citizens running around enjoying their extraterritoriality and all that.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

mauman posted:

I'd imagine he got rid of that whole "natural born citizen" bit as well.

If he predates the US that's not a problem.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

GhostStalker posted:

IIRC he is the only non-human to get that act of Congress to grant him citizenship; at the very least he was the first.

Birthright citizenship isn't as much of a thing in the UCAS as it is in the modern US. If you weren't born in a legal, above-board hospital, you weren't given a SIN; if you don't have a SIN, or you have the kind of SIN issued when you get arrested for the first time, you're a "probationary citizen" with gently caress-all for human rights. If you're a citizen of one of the megacorporations you may not be a citizen of the country you're living in, but that's not as big a deal as long as you don't leave the company (or get pulled out of it against your will).

The popular impact of the '57 election and Dunk's death is pretty remarkable considering what a small portion of North America would be allowed to vote in that election. Then again, if what the metaplot rumors say about Dunk's plan is true, he did what he did for everybody's sake and being extremely popular throughout the world was an important part of it.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

IMJack posted:

The popular impact of the '57 election and Dunk's death is pretty remarkable considering what a small portion of North America would be allowed to vote in that election. Then again, if what the metaplot rumors say about Dunk's plan is true, he did what he did for everybody's sake and being extremely popular throughout the world was an important part of it.

More broadly there was a campaign book called "Super Tuesday" with all the runs themed around the '57 election. It came with a mail-in voter card for players who bought the book to vote for who they wanted to win the election. Though, of course, people were going to pick the dragon. FASA later published the results and the only other candidate who got more then 1 or 2 was the environmental candidate who rewards the runners with a big favor at the end of his run.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

I dont know posted:

More broadly there was a campaign book called "Super Tuesday" with all the runs themed around the '57 election. It came with a mail-in voter card for players who bought the book to vote for who they wanted to win the election. Though, of course, people were going to pick the dragon. FASA later published the results and the only other candidate who got more then 1 or 2 was the environmental candidate who rewards the runners with a big favor at the end of his run.

Each person who was bequeathed a "token of esteem" in Dunk's will was a person who mailed in one of those ballots. IIRC there was one winner out of the votes for each candidate.

Your choices in that election were:
  • The environmental lawyer who had been blackmailing eco-terrorists for years, which almost came back to bite him and kill thousands of people at one of his rallies
  • The magical futurist social engineer who's Illuminati connections land the party in a "we have no memory of why everybody wants us dead" scenario
  • The vice-president of the guy who rigged the '56 election and was impeached, leading to the '57 election and who is boring and unelectable and doesn't get an adventure in the book
  • The Army general who fought against the bug spirits in Chicago whose running mate is a bug spirit looking for an ironic way to infest the country
  • The shamelessly racist arch-conservative who is actually an orphan taken in and indoctrinated by his "father" to replace his real son who turned into an ork and had to die
  • The motherfucking dragon who is a shameless white-hat puppetmaster who you can't stay mad at even when he lands you in mortal danger

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

IMJack posted:

Each person who was bequeathed a "token of esteem" in Dunk's will was a person who mailed in one of those ballots.

Said token of esteem being a certificate marking the ownership of a single share in a AAA megacorp.

Not, like, in game. They actually sent those guys framed stock certificates to hang up on their walls. Every single thing about that entire story arc was amazing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stroth posted:

Said token of esteem being a certificate marking the ownership of a single share in a AAA megacorp.

Not, like, in game. They actually sent those guys framed stock certificates to hang up on their walls. Every single thing about that entire story arc was amazing.

How much is a single share typically worth in Shadowrun, anyway?

Like, are we talking "I am a corporate wage slave who put in the effort to save for retirement", "I am a low level executive", "I am too important a person to ignore, but not important enough to give too much power", or "This alone sets me up for life"?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

chiasaur11 posted:

How much is a single share typically worth in Shadowrun, anyway?

Like, are we talking "I am a corporate wage slave who put in the effort to save for retirement", "I am a low level executive", "I am too important a person to ignore, but not important enough to give too much power", or "This alone sets me up for life"?

It would depend on the corp and the total number of shares issued, just like real life. I'm aware of plenty of times where the sourcebooks have listed who owns certain percentages of the megas, but not of them ever laying out any hard numbers. But iirc the AAAs have like, tens of trillions in revenue or something insane like that, so I'd imagine the dividends for even a single share would look pretty good. :v: Generally speaking of course the types of people who own those stocks are going to be in the global elite.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm interested to see what kind of thing they're going to throw at you for this final mission.

And, like, on one hand I can understand not wanting to "waste" any of this money by not spending it, but on the other hand, that leftover bankroll will keep you going for a year.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't been making a lot of posts during the LP, but I've been enjoying the LP quite happily. I'd love to see you tackle Dragonfall and Hong Kong but those are much beefier games in general to tackle. Also I've not given Riggers enough credit it seems.

(Also just as a side post the stuff about the Will is part of the reason I adore Shadowrun)

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

IMJack posted:

IIRC he is the only non-human to get that act of Congress to grant him citizenship; at the very least he was the first.

Birthright citizenship isn't as much of a thing in the UCAS as it is in the modern US. If you weren't born in a legal, above-board hospital, you weren't given a SIN; if you don't have a SIN, or you have the kind of SIN issued when you get arrested for the first time, you're a "probationary citizen" with gently caress-all for human rights. If you're a citizen of one of the megacorporations you may not be a citizen of the country you're living in, but that's not as big a deal as long as you don't leave the company (or get pulled out of it against your will).

Being the first sounds about right for Big D, but there's no way he's the only non-human to get citizenship, unless you mean all of the major metahuman types when you say human.

Also, the way the UCAS election works is a straight popular vote via the Matrix using your SIN, right? And while I assume said Matrix infrastructure is vulnerable to Deckers going in and wrecking poo poo (the winner of the election prior to Dunk's was impeached due to massive fraud, after all; which is what gave Dunk his opening to run), it's probably going to be one of the best protected UCAS servers with IC, military deckers pulling security, and possibly some corp contractors helping out. I assume the fake SINs that some runners have to try and get by with permits and stuff and so they don't get hassled by Lone Star every day would get filtered out of that system if they tried to vote, unless that fake SIN is really good.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

(the winner of the election prior to Dunk's was impeached due to massive fraud

This cyberpunk existential horror dystopia is too optimistic to be believable.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Necroskowitz posted:

This cyberpunk existential horror dystopia is too optimistic to be believable.

Nah, I figure Dunk had some hand in that evidence coming out in order to accelerate his run, via friendly runners or people connected to him. Fits the machinations of a Great Dragon and all, plus he probably needed it for his plan to work.

Apparently there was some big scandal in the prior administration of the nascent UCAS as well, and it was disgust at that plus the first (interim) female President of the UCAS (formerly UCAS Senate President Pro Tempore) declaring said election null and void due to the aforementioned massive fraud and the excitement of Big D declaring his candidacy that was necessary for the ritual he was working and all that to be successful.

The Vice President of the ticket disqualified for fraud a year earlier tried to make a go of it, like IMJack said above, but he was super boring and the only way he could get elected at all was due to that massive fraud, so... I think he was supposed to be a Republican as well.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Are "Corporate Shamans" established like corporate wage mages in the universe? Do they follow the "Sprit of Capitalism" or can the big animal totems like coyote or bear be reworked for the corporate environment?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Magpies and vultures would probably have traits that would work for a corporate spirit.

Or you could bee literal and have a corp drone chill out with bee.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

FoolyCharged posted:

Magpies and vultures would probably have traits that would work for a corporate spirit.

Or you could bee literal and have a corp drone chill out with bee.

That sounds like a good way to get shot by accident. Spider is a legitimate totem but it doesn't take much for people to decide that you're just buggy enough to need to be put down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

OutofSight posted:

Are "Corporate Shamans" established like corporate wage mages in the universe? Do they follow the "Sprit of Capitalism" or can the big animal totems like coyote or bear be reworked for the corporate environment?

While I'm sure there are exceptions, the vast majority of wage mages follow a hermetic tradition, rather than shamanistic one. The attitudes that tend to come with the former are usually a lot more compatible with corporate values. Hell, the AAA's that are big into magic practically have their own traditions and schools for magic.

Hogwarts, brought to you by Mitsuhama Computer TechnologiesTM!

MCT: The Future is Mitsuhama

• Locked thread