Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Toops posted:

Thanks for keeping the bar so fuckin' high with this gem of a post.

Just doing my part. :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

trucutru posted:

:lol: Space stations start at $50,000 you cheap-rear end.

Nah, that'd only be the platinum stations, Gold would be $10k, Civilian $5k, and finally $1k "budget" stations.

That way not only are you selling to multiple demographics/incomes, but you're also fostering elitism for those who can buy in at higher stations. After all, you don't want to be one of those plebs who only buy in at "civilian", do you?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

I kind of just feel bad for that guy.

Like you might get mad at the kind of crazy person that pisses on you or try to refute and argue with a crazy person that is really adamant about their conspiracy theory demanding you listen to their proof but this crazy person is just curled up in a corner bawling his eyes out muttering complete and obvious nonsense about his space dreams.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Variable 5 posted:

What the flying gently caress is wrong with him

angsty teenager discovers a video game that strikes a chord with him and let's him escape from the reality of a really lovely life

he grows up and turns into a broke brained turbo nerd that never forgot the first video game to make him cum and the man that started it all

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Catching up I'm at the sandi's film part and it made me laugh very hard.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

cool new Polack jokes posted:

The real question is, what's to stop them from glitching through their prison bars and t-posing to another country without extradition to the US?

The fact that they did not program said prison bars, so they were made by someone with a modicum of competence?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tokamak posted:

It's great value when you consider they're priced for orgs, not individuals.

The trick is to release $5,000 space stations for players and $50,000 starbases for orgs. That way the space stations won't look so expensive by comparison.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Hopefully someone still has the screenshot cause this was a fair while ago, back around those heady days before even the persistent universe kicked in. Anyway a guy who wanted to do podcasts and stuff about Star Citizen and other space games cracked a joke in a previous incarnation of this thread (I think about people killing themselves over Star Citizen), and not too long afterwards Sandi emailed him a screencap of his post, and then as an aside demanded to know if he had in fact been complaining that CIG wouldn't give him the time of day for interviews for his show. It was such a ham-handed attempt at trying to scare him it kind of beggared belief but really was the first major highlight for us that people were watching this thread, feeding this information back to at the very least Sandi, and that they thought that they could try to silence dissent with the implied threat of freezing people out. Freezing people out of what I'm not sure since nothing's loving come out.

But if the user's post really did upset CIG then Ben's entire site should have gotten him fired.

Holy mother of god. I thought it was just a minor email in passing to a third party, nothing nearly as direct as that :allears:.

I wonder if she still reads/is informed about this thread?

Hi Sandi! :wave:

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
A veritable avalanche of refunds in the last 48 hrs in the refund subreddit.

et al.

I guess they moved customer support people away from bugsmashing, and back to customer support!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Latin Pheonix posted:

Holy mother of god. I thought it was just a minor email in passing to a third party, nothing nearly as direct as that :allears:.

I wonder if she still reads/is informed about this thread?

Hi Sandi! :wave:

I'd imagine she's too busy plotting revenge against whoever cut out her role from American Satan.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Another weird thing was that at one of the conventions they gave Sandi a fake award that was like a golden computer or something that was for "putting up with poo poo on the internet."

As far as I know she never had any online presence in the Star Citizen community at all so what poo poo was she putting up with exactly?

Consider
- Your example of her personally responding to posts from this thread
- People being banned on RSI for posting here
- After we criticized giving Ben donuts she. awkwardly came out and placed a huge bag of donuts in the center of the frame while looking at the camera
- After we made fun of her looking high as gently caress with huge glasses and stuffing her face during shows later she just weirdly stared into the camera and started eating while smirking

I think she's probably narcissistic enough to have been reading this thread personally. Which is funny because it means that we have had more direct influence on Star Citizen than any of the whales have had while paying 0$.

She got the award before the convention. The con was where they did the whole "I stand with Sandi" thing. I believe the award was because of the CS emails, because apparently making incredibly unprofessional statements to a customer deserves a plaque.

Zzr posted:

Beer, where did you touched them to attract this long lasting hate ?

Right in the cognitive dissonance.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

BluesShaman posted:

I guess they moved customer support people away from bugsmashing, and back to customer support!

I don't know why the refund sub found it so hard to believe that backers would be hammering CIG with support tickets over CitizenCon. They were running an event for socially inept people, and had to answer asinine questions about the new ship, and game mechanic. Imagine the poor sod who had to answer highly specific questions about a ship that is little more than concept art.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
This was one of the filing irregularities I mentioned so long ago, I guess it has been archived now. Anyway, with this sort of attention to detail I think things are looking up for CIG. This mistake had been checked and confirmed as accurate three times since the initial filing (27th May 1968 vs 5th May 1968).

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Viscous Soda posted:

Nah, that'd only be the platinum stations, Gold would be $10k, Civilian $5k, and finally $1k "budget" stations.

That way not only are you selling to multiple demographics/incomes, but you're also fostering elitism for those who can buy in at higher stations. After all, you don't want to be one of those plebs who only buy in at "civilian", do you?

Fostering elitism is the backbone of CIG's funding. The elitist are willing to pay huge sums to be elite in game, and as such, CIG caters exclusively to them. Which, when the game launches (stop laughing) will heavily dis incentivize regular players from joining up. And then all the whales, with their paid for advantages, will square off against each-other. But since there is no regular players for them to lord over, they will feel grief instead of superiority.

It's gonna be yuge.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

She got the award before the convention. The con was where they did the whole "I stand with Sandi" thing. I believe the award was because of the CS emails, because apparently making incredibly unprofessional statements to a customer deserves a plaque.

I read every loving email... I OWN your email chain

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Bofast posted:

The trick is to release $5,000 space stations for players and $50,000 starbases for orgs. That way the space stations won't look so expensive by comparison.

When I was watching the dreadful panel on base building or whatever at citizen con, I honestly thought they were gearing up to sell plots of land on planets.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they did, but they'd have to make a planet first, I guess. Or not, citizens will buy it regardless, let's face it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Zzr posted:

Catching up I'm at the sandi's film part and it made me laugh very hard.

Imagine being there for that conversation. Imagine being in the car with Chris and SandI on the long drive home.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I miss the days of zendesk and special snowflakes, you loving piece of poo poo, Sandi

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Solarin posted:

I read every loving email... I OWN your email chain

I don't know what this means but I hope a safe word is involved.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Remember that time you talked to customer service and then the replies got weird and it turns out that Sandi was reading them and decided to take you on 1v1 like a good ole deathmatch in Doom?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
A game she has mastered, owning countless nerds with her abilities.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Natron posted:

When I was watching the dreadful panel on base building or whatever at citizen con, I honestly thought they were gearing up to sell plots of land on planets.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they did, but they'd have to make a planet first, I guess. Or not, citizens will buy it regardless, let's face it.

Sell them an apartment in one of those PG buildings. Tell them that one day they will be able live in it. (even tough they won't)

Sit back and watch the money roll in.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

And for it to be delivered before the rest of the show even starts, so that it kicks off on the highest possible note - a boquet of roses, that'd back in the sane world only get awarded at the end of a show, if indeed it must be, a ton of tears and self-congratulatory pats on the back.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Slow_Moe posted:

Fostering elitism is the backbone of CIG's funding. The elitist are willing to pay huge sums to be elite in game, and as such, CIG caters exclusively to them. Which, when the game launches (stop laughing) will heavily dis incentivize regular players from joining up. And then all the whales, with their paid for advantages, will square off against each-other. But since there is no regular players for them to lord over, they will feel grief instead of superiority.

It's gonna be yuge.

Shroud of the Avatar thread recently reiterated how selling plots of land to whales tends to backfire. tldr version; whales always cough up enough for the "rent free forever" LTI model, grab all the best area, never log on again.

30.5 Days posted:

The idea was that you paid in-game currency for raffle tickets and each month they'd raffle off some % of the outstanding land deeds, like 25%. Deeds had a limited time (like 30 days or something) to place before they vanished and once placed you had to pay in-game currency as rent. So getting and maintaining land would be the main gold sink. The idea is player churn would result in rent going unpaid, deeds re-entering the raffle, and eventually the system would hit some kind of equilibrium. This all seems like it should work imo. The problem is a few things:

- A massive amount of land was claimed with rent-free deeds which means that land, at the moment, will never re-enter the raffle. They claimed that at some point they'd have some system for freeing it if (when) those players stopped coming around, but last i heard nothing had even been suggested let alone implemented.
- Since rent-free deeds got head start on land grab, all the best, most contested land is the land that has rent-free deeds on it.
- There are 4 regions and one of them has the vast majority (probably at this point, all of) the player economy. Moving between two regions is intentionally a pain in the rear end to try and add a labor cost to porting things between regions, to make that part of the player economy. But there's no good reason to ever leave largest, central region, all commodities can be obtained there with zero difficulty, so the actual impact is there's effectively only one region and it's full. But the "25% of deeds" being auctioned off each month includes empty space in other regions, where nobody wants to be. So player-owned-town slots in the main region are, in practice, worth more than place-anywhere slots in other regions, but not only are they not priced that way, but there's no way of knowing if there are slots available in the main region, how many there are, or where they are.
- The only thing you can really do with a deed is have a cool looking house. There was some kind of NPC system where you can place NPCs on your land, but the number you can place is extremely low and they never really fleshed out things the NPCs could do for you, so in practice, all they can do is sell stuff out front of your house. This is functionally an auction house that your buyers need to manually find, including the auction house fees (except also if you participated in the kickstarter, you got a 0-fee NPC which is worth an assload of money, they were selling for hundreds of thousands of gold when I played). To make this relevant at all, they limited the number of things you can sell at once at any auction house, so at least you can sell more stuff simultaneously. Just to be absolutely clear about this, their main gold sink gave absolutely no material benefit to the player.
- However, because auction houses aren't shared, players all go to a single auction house in a single city in the central region (owl's head) because of network effects. The result of this is that you can't realistically sell anything if you don't have land in owl's head, because nobody will go to whatever town you live in. Since owl's head land is high-demand, it was all snapped up on day 1 of the land rush so every single plot is filled with 0-rent deeds that will never go on raffle. They are all selling basic equipment at insane markups in hopes of tricking people into paying three times as much as they would on the AH that's 3 feet away because there's literally nothing else worth doing, economy-wise, in this dead game.
- Despite this insane autists still were grinding up insane amounts of cash for raffle tickets to try and turn west anglia or whatever loving place into the "new owl's head", it was kind of pathetic.
- Also people sharking deeds for a profit
- Even if you get a single POT deed at the low low price of 5k gold because you won the raffle (which, in their defense, wasn't unrealistic at all) you still have the "HOA problem" that's been mentioned in this thread where your neighbors are 3 lighthouses and a steampunk contraption created to commemorate the fact that Star Citizen is never coming out.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The Final Fantasy MMO has that exact scenario going on.

Each time they add a new region with plots whales and their guilds gobble up the new land within a day.

The game does also offer instanced apartments in a couple cities so every player can have a home if they wish. Those with the plots get to show off.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

It's amazing how they can't cite ANYTHING that I've said isn't possible, that was eventually made possible. Like NOTHING. AT. ALL.

In 2015 (almost 2.5 years ago) I said :

1) the game as pitched couldn't be made

They haven't made it. Not even remotely close

2) the game as pitched couldn't be made for anything less than $150M, a capable engine, and experienced team

They've blown through $150m, not including investor money and loans

They've switched engines

Half the capable team has hosed off, leaving a handful of delusional & incompetent team leads herding interns and inexperienced devs like cats (hint: nothing gets done)

I have also since said that they will never - ever - develop an MMO from this. Like ever. But yeah, six years later, they're testing how many clients they can shove into x.large AWS instances - with zero game play. You know, instead of testing stability and metrics for at least 32 clients, then move on from there.

This poo poo is what they're using for the recent hype, which so conveniently is starting two weeks before another period funding drive.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

BluesShaman posted:

A veritable avalanche of refunds in the last 48 hrs in the refund subreddit.

et al.

As we long suspected, they basically were waiting until CitizenCon was over, to see if people would change their minds. It also helps that whatever they raised from the Pioneer, as part of their Ponzi scheme, also helps pay off the unbelievers. :allears:

----------------

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuOxMtlHRcE&t=5s

the role she was born to play

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

The Completionist pack, despite having been removed from public view, is apparently alive and well as there has recently been another purchase. That is the 11th completionist pack detected this year. Also note, as is usual, a possible Javelin after the $15k spike.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Remember that time you talked to customer service and then the replies got weird and it turns out that Sandi was reading them and decided to take you on 1v1 like a good ole deathmatch in Doom?

I guess she won? I mean she got a prize and a trip to Italy.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

- After we criticized giving Ben donuts she awkwardly came out and placed a huge bag of donuts in the center of the frame while looking at the camera

I've been watching this show for a long time and these incidents have long stood out as the most unsettling moments.

*slowly pushes bag of sweets across the table while Ben discusses his efforts to regain control of his life*

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 11, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

And a set of steak knives.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

She got the award as a Christmas present. Well, according to her.

She tweeted it:

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/689143253443178496

She posted the image on Facebook:

Also, I remember that time when, having been accused of lying about her credentials, she did this:

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/636394150913445888

And this...

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/648852521734111232

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 11, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

shrach posted:

This was one of the filing irregularities I mentioned so long ago, I guess it has been archived now. Anyway, with this sort of attention to detail I think things are looking up for CIG. This mistake had been checked and confirmed as accurate three times since the initial filing (27th May 1968 vs 5th May 1968).

Well, in his defense, everyone in Hollywood lies about their age. So. :colbert:

----------------

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

D_Smart posted:

Well, in his defense, everyone in Hollywood lies about their age. So. :colbert:
That's not a defence, Kevin!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Just a little topical joke there.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
uo'aXy'an Lesson Three? Wait this is actually a series? Don't they have ship reworks to waste time on?

no photoshop required

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dear CIG,
yes, it's me again.
I was very curious how you would manage this new Burndown and schedule report format in a way, that every Backer would be able to understand.
And as it turns out, you don't. You don't even provide a "guide" on how to read or interpret your numbers that you provide (That was done by @sqrw and thanks for that).
So what did you change for the better? Nothing. You don't even put the numbers into the context of last week. It's just a picture for 4-5 seconds and nobody mentions what's on it in the segment afterwards.
Not even in the "summary" there is a summary. Just a "we're making progress" no effing poo poo, you're "making progress" since last year.
And one thing that I really dislike is, if you actually record meetings, then give us the real deal, don't make a cut in the middle of a sentense. That is rude AND smells fishy. Was the dev to say something that would actually be a valid information of the status of 3.0?

Most of that that was shown were "features" or "minor improvements", except for the "lights out - when ships spawn - bug", so honestly, we are in an Alpha, so these things don't matter!
And since I honestly doubt CIG still knows what Alpha actually means (except for beeing a good excuse when something doesn't work) here's a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Alpha

Is it really necessary to delay a release because the "shopping terminals look added on" or other minor nitpicks? Hell no! I know CR is a perfectionist, but, as mentioned above, we're in an alpha, not the actual release. So give us the janky stuff and patch the good stuff in later. You've got that "awesome new Delta Patcher" don't you? So make use of it.

And the best part is, Erik doesn't even talk about "full release" anymore. He just mentioned PTU Release of 3.0. I wonder why? Maybe because the overall count wen't up (in most segments by nearly 50%) and you're running out of time for this year.
You've got 2 major events coming up (The end of Kickstarter Event, and the Holiday "live" stream), which take time to coordinate and "develop" the stuff for it. And you've roughly got 4-5 weeks left.
Is that enough to smash 78 Bugs and manage 262 Tasks? Looking back at the previous burndown segments where you only focused on one part of the game and it took 3 weeks to smash 20 bugs... well... I doubt it.

Which leads me to the same thing I asked for last week: Honesty.
Will you be able to manage a 3.0 release this year? Yes or no? Or will you do the dodgy solution and just release it on PTU, if so, why wait? It was good enough for 2 major events this year and it is good enough for 1000 Evocati. So why isn't it good enough for the rest of us? Many of whom are here from the beginning.
Btw. I don't believe this whole "they test specifics" story, if so you wouldn't need 1000 players just for that. And if it were true, why don't you do an ATV segment and let us look behind the curtain? Record what the Evocati actually do and show it to us. Maybe... every week in ATV, in Burndown? Heck Burndown almost takes 20 minutes and doesn't provide that much actual information. Get rid of the meeting recordings, keep the devs talking about bugs but add the Evocati Recordings.

So overall, another week, another failure on the honesty front. Maybe next week?

Best regards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Hobold posted:

Just doing my part. :justpost:

Atta baby.

Hey speaking of :justpost:, wtf happened to tophat?