Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really want to play Tyranny but oh boy that combat system is loving awful.

I don't even mind the real-time pause combat thing, I had fun with the combat used in KotOR 2 for example, but it does not work in an isometric game like that.
Everything is super tiny, interface is bad and it just seemed to turn into a clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Rascyc posted:

Torment 2 has real awful character progression and combat. It honestly probably shouldn't have even been in the game and just been an adventure game.
See complaints like that make me feel people haven't even played Planescape, a game with crappy combat that punished you for not going full Wis and Int. I love Planescape with all my heart but Torment 2 is in no way worse than it mechanically.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought PoE2 was already out..

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

Not until next year. We you were thinking of Tyranny or Divinity?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I need to start in on Divinity 2. Everyone seems to love it so far.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Heartcatch posted:

Same

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Starting Tactics Ogre. Anything I should know?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's like 3 games and they all have vastly different tips

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i think archers are very good in all of them.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

See complaints like that make me feel people haven't even played Planescape, a game with crappy combat that punished you for not going full Wis and Int. I love Planescape with all my heart but Torment 2 is in no way worse than it mechanically.

The first game having bad combat doesn't excuse the second game for having bad combat.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
My bad uhhhhhh, Let Us Cling Together

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Which version

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

WrightOfWay posted:

The first game having bad combat doesn't excuse the second game for having bad combat.
True, but I don't even think Torment 2's combat is that bad. And even if you don't like it, you can resolve most missions without fighting, that's what I did for the most part.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 11, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yeah, I think you can solve all the quests in the game without any combat and even if you stumble into combat you can just die, respawn, and find another way to solve the problem.
There's no penalty for dying, if I recall correctly, you don't even need to reload a previous save.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, I think you can solve all the quests in the game without any combat and even if you stumble into combat you can just die, respawn, and find another way to solve the problem.
There's no penalty for dying, if I recall correctly, you don't even need to reload a previous save.
Unique events can even pop up if you die, so it even rewards you for failing. You even need to get killed to start certain sidequests.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Hivac posted:

Which version

Gah. PSP!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Accordion Man posted:

Sure, no argument there. And ideally you want to skip it all anyway if you know what's good for you but people don't always know and try to engage its combat systems.

That other inxile rpg was really bad about this too but its combat was not very skippable. Wasteland or whatever.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i tried playing wasteland 2 on a free weekend and i'm not sure i've ever tried playing and then bounced off a more confusing and obtuse wrpg

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I beat Wasteland 2 and liked it quite a bit even, but it's definitely not the easiest recommendation since it's obviously aimed at a niche audience.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

Wheres the yaoi in atelier
In the friends you made along the way. Either that or inside of you all along.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretend crafting doesn't exist unless you hate yourself

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Archers are god tier.
If you can, use a cheat code for crafting because goddamn that is some tedious poo poo.
Be prepared for some frustration when guest units run headlong into their death when you are trying to keep them alive.
Clerics kinda suck. Lobbers can do their healing job much better. Valkyries can do their buffing once they get boon of swiftness.
Valkyries also start out mediocre but end up pretty beastly as support / offensive casters / melee.
Wizards have poor damage output but are useful for their crowd control. Matriarchs / Patriarchs(recruited monster classes) or any advanced caster class is much better at damage.

You can eventually do all the paths / recruit everyone / do everything in your save file so don't worry about that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Always keep a second save updated

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

"No worse" than a game from multiple decades ago that people thought had bad combat at the time, when there's been a lot of time to learn better is damning with exceedingly faint praise, man.

Heartcatch posted:

Do you mean Divinity 2, the third-person action RPG where you play a dragon knight who can turn into a dragon, or do you mean Divinity Original Sin 2, the top down turn-based game where you have a party? Because these are quite different games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I forgot how much of a titanic fuckstick Haseo is in Vol1, especially towards Atoli.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I forgot how much of a titanic fuckstick Haseo is in Vol1, especially towards Atoli.

You’d be a little salty if you were a teenaged MMO obsessive whose Epic level character got knocked back to chump tier, too.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I hope one of the Nier Automata endings alleviates the guilt I feel at murdering all the robots at the carnival.

I dunno what came over me. I killed one just to see if I could and it dropped a nice chip so I wondered if they would all drop nice chips. When I came to myself, I was surrounded by grease and cogs and a cheevo was blinking on my screen.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Getsuya posted:

I hope one of the Nier Automata endings alleviates the guilt I feel at murdering all the robots at the carnival.

I dunno what came over me. I killed one just to see if I could and it dropped a nice chip so I wondered if they would all drop nice chips. When I came to myself, I was surrounded by grease and cogs and a cheevo was blinking on my screen.

:(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Getsuya posted:

:yokotaro:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Haseo mumbling various complaints whenever Atoli speaks is still really funny

Atoli: The feelings of pain and sadness that we feel here are in fact very real

Haseo: Yeah, like hell I feel that

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Getsuya posted:

There are some somewhat useful chips, I don't remember what, that only drop from those robots, too!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I think the one that set this all off was Damage Absorb which sounded pretty strong to me

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If you ever killed the Amusement Tank then you're a monster.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

The trick to saving suicidal npcs early in the game is to give the AI juicer targets. Send someone naked in to attract their attention. If you care about the fake chievos then use one of the friendly allies who will teleport out when they get too hurt.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's one NPC mission where you have to protect an archer. IIRC if you de-equip her, she won't charge into the battlefield like an idiot.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

There's a lot of material out for it, though it mostly shows how much faster development is this time around what with the engine being in the state it is and them having a solid bit of groundwork done. They apparently still have a ton of balancing to do, which was expected, but a lot of visual stuff is already being ironed out and nearing completion.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rascyc posted:

There's a gigantic dearth of good PC rpgs since Witcher 3 is pretty much it. What few have come out have been divisive really.

It's not like there were tons of earth-shattering RPGs coming out before Witcher 3. It's about the same pace now as before.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong and Divinity Original Sin 2 both came out after Witcher 3 and while I guess Shadowrun might be divisive (or not an RPG to some for whatever reason), Original Sin 2 seems to be pretty consistent in its reviews as being amazing.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I liked Tyranny despite the combat, did not like Pillars of Eternity or Torment 2, I really, really wanted to like Torment 2, but the art style was just so gross looking with combat that made me want to chop my hands off and never play a video game again.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

Original Sin 2 seems to be pretty consistent in its reviews as being amazing.

It has insanely good tactical combat and roleplaying set up in an interesting way where you just don't feel like you can game it for a perfect run.

Not once have I felt like I should reload and pick a different option. Not because I felt like I made the best choice, but because even the mistakes feel like they'll lead to something interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

It has insanely good tactical combat and roleplaying set up in an interesting way where you just don't feel like you can game it for a perfect run.

Not once have I felt like I should reload and pick a different option. Not because I felt like I made the best choice, but because even the mistakes feel like they'll lead to something interesting.

A CRPG with actually good combat is like the loving unicorn so I can't not love OS2